Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)

What do you think about Joseph Fielding Smith's moon prophecy?

He spoke out about something quasi-political. As a Church official, he should have known to leave well enough alone.
4%
It was his personal opinion and he was wrong about it. Big deal.
35%
I think this is proof he was a "false prophet."
1%
He's human...sometimes even Prophets or Apostles get stuff wrong.
18%
Joseph Fielding Smith was right about the moon, and still is to this day.
42%

Total votes: 142
7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space

Post by 7cylon7 »

Ok answer me this. Why have we not gone back to the moon? Did we learn everything there is about the moon? With today's telescopes we could watch the moon landings live and watch them drive around on the surface. That is why they will not go back because you can't.

Please... if we went back everyone would know in an instant that we never went.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

ChelC wrote:We went to the moon. And isn't that awesome!?
At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to me. Regardless of whether 'we' went to the moon or faked it, it was a waste of taxpayers money.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

A marvelous waste of money for sure. But what would we ever do without Velcro and freeze dried ice cream?

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

May 14, 1961 - Apostle Joseph Fielding Smith announces to stake conference in Honolulu:

JFS wrote:We will never get a man into space. This earth is man's sphere and it was never intended that he should get away from it...

The moon is a superior planet to the earth and it was never intended that man should go there. You can write it down in your books that this will never happen.
And in 1964, President David O. McKay when asked by young reporter if blacks swill ever get the Priesthood, he told him "Not in my lifetime, young man - nor yours."

President McKay died in 1970. The Lord revealed to Pres. Kimball in 1978 that blacks can now have the priesthood. When did the young reporter die? Before 1978, or after?

Does this make President McKay a failed prophet? Was he giving his own opinion? Did the Lord cause/give permission for something to happen that was contrary to anything anyone thought possible?

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

I must say, this thread is fabulous... definitely food for thought. I haven't watched the video yet, but I always ask these 3 questions about conspiracy:

1) Could the government have easily staged this?
2) Does the government benefit from staging this?
3) What do the prophets say?

Lol. Ding, ding, ding! I really have no idea (I will watch the video), but I'm okay with it being a hoax or real. I will say that on the other side of the veil, we will all be shocked when we finally learn things as they really were, are, and will be.

Lloyd Christmas fell for the hoax too, and all he saw was a newspaper! Kinda like much of the US when it comes to Osama...

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

One of the problems with this poll is that there are at least three answers which to choose from for JFS ideas being his own and only one supporting his statements. This splits the votes in favour of it being his opinion while concentrating the votes supporting him. IF you add the three choices that feel it was his opinion you get over 50%

The splitting of an option is a standard tactic used to push a poll result.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

HeirofNumenor wrote:And in 1964, President David O. McKay when asked by young reporter if blacks swill ever get the Priesthood, he told him "Not in my lifetime, young man - nor yours."

President McKay died in 1970. The Lord revealed to Pres. Kimball in 1978 that blacks can now have the priesthood. When did the young reporter die? Before 1978, or after?

Does this make President McKay a failed prophet? Was he giving his own opinion? Did the Lord cause/give permission for something to happen that was contrary to anything anyone thought possible?
Probably the reporter died in 1977... or are you implying the Church leadership is doing something wrong? ;)

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

haha. :| Nice one Brian. :))

Nope just saying that The Lord could do things different from what we expect...

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

HeirofNumenor wrote:haha. :| Nice one Brian. :))
Nope just saying that The Lord could do things different from what we expect...
B-)
I knew you'd like that comment. :D

I agree.

Moss Man
captain of 100

Post by Moss Man »

http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/
July 28, 2011 posting ... in talking with a friend this past week we were discussing the strangeness of the NASA claim that they somehow went to the moon in 1969 and a few more times in the early 1970's ... my friend mentioned how odd it is that NO ONE ... let me repeat ... NO ONE of all the NASA employees or staff or engineers on the myriad of companies that worked on the lunar lander and massive saturn rocket or any other complex systems that went into the Apollo moon effort ... NO ONE of them ever wrote a book or even the most minor article ... remember a little event called world war II ??? the thousands of GI's and airmen and ground crewmen etc etc have ALL made efforts to reveal the true history as they saw it on the scene at the time ... but of ALL the workers that were in the NASA Apollo moon effort ... NONE have ever written so much as a note ... not a word on the glory days ... the only thing we hear is the official bogus stories that come out of the official NASA spin machine ... NASA was going to hire an apologist named James Oberg a few years ago to write the definitive book stating that NASA went to the moon ... but NASA balked and cancelled the Oberg book ... why ??? because every statement that Oberg would have made would have raised 20 new questions ... so what did NASA do ??? they took the fifth and said nothing ... more recently a satellite was supposed to take photos of the lunar landing sites and post for all to see ... but what did we see ??? some photos that would not be worthy of a first generation cell phone camera .... yup photos with a few pixel smudge in the center ... with something that looked like pencil marks stating that these were the tracks of the lunar rovers ... clearly NASA and the mil boys should have cameras that could see an ant crawling up the side of the lunar lander ... of course the problem with real photos would have been obvious ... all the faked studio photos of the faked lunar landing spots would not correspond to the new aerial high resolution pics ... as another note of comparison ... we all see google pics from a satellite of anyplace on earth ... you can look at commercial grade (not mil grade) photos of your own house and see your car in your driveway in great detail ... these pics come from a satellite 100 miles up while looking through 60 miles of atmosphere ... i would certainly hope that NASA would have had better equipment on their latest lunar orbiter camera satellite which was billed as photographing the lunar surface for their future lunar landing missions (which were cancelled because NASA cannot get to the moon now ... why goshhh ... they can't even get a mouse into low earth orbit now) ... but given that their new lunar explorer camera should have been top of the line and much closer AND with no atmosphere ... those pics should have been crystal clear and should have given high detailed images of the surrounding area ... but we saw a few pixel smudges on a poor grade photo ... HMMMMM ... but as i started to say ... NO ONE BUT NO ONE BUT NO ONE from anyone that ever worked on the Apollo program ever wrote even a single book about the glory days ... did NASA go to the moon ??? they can't do it now ... could they have done it in 1969 ??? i personally do not think so for many many reasons ... but pointing to the mountains of circumstantial evidence that shows NASA lied is not "science" ... for science to work NASA's claim would have to be confirmed by an independent third party ... this has never been done ... the same rigid requirement used by any scientific claim ... so by any self respecting standard of science ... NASA's claim of going to the moon remains unconfirmed ... the burden of proof rests on NASA who has relied on its past image to bolster its proposition of having gone to the moon ... since Galileo initiated the scientific method ... third party independent verification is required as is direct observation ... sending some hired white hats (who were not even born at the time of the Apollo program) to defend NASA hardly spanks of the required third party independent observable proof and verification ... do you trust NASA (Never A Straight Answer) and its band of merry hired hands to self confirm this questionable claim ??? you already know i don't ... jim mccanney

AGalagaChiasmus
captain of 100

Post by AGalagaChiasmus »

gkearney wrote:One of the problems with this poll is that there are at least three answers which to choose from for JFS ideas being his own and only one supporting his statements. This splits the votes in favour of it being his opinion while concentrating the votes supporting him. IF you add the three choices that feel it was his opinion you get over 50%

+1

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

Dr. Ken Johnston, former Manager of the Data and Photo Control Division at NASA's Lunar Receiving Laboratory during the manned Apollo Lunar Exploration Effort in the 1970's, was abruptly terminated Tuesday morning, October 23rd, from NASA's prestigious "Solar System Ambassador" (SSA) Program at JPL. The firing was direct reprisal for Johnston's published account in a New York Times Best Seller, "Dark Mission: the Secret History of NASA," of how NASA ordered him, 40 years ago, to destroy key Apollo lunar images and data -- rather than allow them to be preserved for academic study and public view. Johnston will testify at an Enterprise Mission sponsored National Press Club news conference this Tuesday, October 30th (Zenger Room, 9:00 AM) , how he disobeyed these NASA orders, secretly preserving the critical Apollo images. Johnston will then show some of the "missing" Apollo frames -- which confirm the existence of long-rumored "ancient artificial ruins and technology on the Moon," discovered by the Apollo astronauts but legally classified under the 1958 Space Act by NASA for over 40 years.
Johnston will be joined by Richard C. Hoagland, former NASA consultant and CBS News Science Science Advisor during the Apollo lunar missions. Hoagland is coauthor of "Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA," and head of The Enterprise Mission. Hoagland will present an imaging analysis of Johnston's 40-year-old rescued Apollo images, comparing them to modern versions apparently currently being "leaked" by other "whistleblowers" on official NASA websites. He will also demonstrate and analyze one of the secret technologies retrieved by the Apollo crews, relating to the artificial control of gravity.

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/in ... 95631.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

gkearney wrote:One of the problems with this poll is that there are at least three answers which to choose from for JFS ideas being his own and only one supporting his statements. This splits the votes in favour of it being his opinion while concentrating the votes supporting him. IF you add the three choices that feel it was his opinion you get over 50%

Actually 51% on the LDSFF believe that "Joseph Fielding Smith was right about the moon, and still is to this day". =;

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

President Monson said we've been to the moon B-)

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

shadow wrote:President Monson said we've been to the moon B-)
LOL....I knew that was going to come up the moment he said it.

Of course if you take into account who he was speaking to....

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

LOL. I checked here too. Knew it. Love you guys.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Jason wrote:

He said what he said and if wasn't true he didn't have to say it B-)

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

shadow wrote:
Jason wrote:

He said what he said and if wasn't true he didn't have to say it B-)
LOL...he was using it to point out the changes over time....and that one is a commonly held (and used) assumption....typically used when mentioning progress. A friend of my grandfather used "From oxen to rockets" as his title for his history of what has come to pass in the past 100 years.

Also he might think its true and has never taken the time to study it out.....or just used it because the vast majority of people think its true and something they could relate to.

The fact that no one else has done it since....should be an indicator. That said, recently high resolution photo's were taken and provided as evidence of the event by showing items on the moon. I highly doubt it happened.....but who knows....maybe it did. Personally I could care less about it....and the way the prophet said it. Now if he stated that in direct testimony from God related to comments made by Joseph F Smith....be a different story.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

BrianM wrote:

Actually 51% on the LDSFF believe that "Joseph Fielding Smith was right about the moon, and still is to this day". =;
So 51% don't believe we ever went to the moon? That what this poll response means, right? Wow. I'm not even sure of what the right words are to use as a response.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Clearly, President Monson was lying thru his teeth to avoid "tweaking the tail of the beast". 8-|

Oh and for anyone with any question, that was undiluted sarcasm.

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

durangout wrote:
So 51% don't believe we ever went to the moon? That what this poll response means, right? Wow. I'm not even sure of what the right words are to use as a response.

No response needed. Just a multi-layered, heavy-duty, tremendous filter for everything that's posted here. :D One of the blessings of having the Holy Ghost is that you see things as they really are. The Spirit does not lie. (Jacob 4:13)

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Original_Intent wrote:Clearly, President Monson was lying thru his teeth to avoid "tweaking the tail of the beast". 8-|
hahahahaha good one!

Oh and for anyone with any question, that was undiluted sarcasm.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Raindrop wrote:
durangout wrote:

No response needed. Just a multi-layered, heavy-duty, tremendous filter for everything that's posted here. :D One of the blessings of having the Holy Ghost is that you see things as they really are. The Spirit does not lie. (Jacob 4:13)
(Like (we should have a "Like" button on here))

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

Last edited by HeirofNumenor on October 2nd, 2011, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

Elder Hartman Rector Jr. (70) Oct 1975 Gen. Conf. http://lds.org/general-conference/1975/ ... query=moon
This is an exciting time. I guess there never was a time like this. We have transportation and communication facilities that boggle the mind. We can walk on the moon, send deep probes into space, and look closely at faraway planets; we can produce food in quantities and qualities never before possible. We have a distribution system which assures freshness and nutrition of fresh-picked fruits and vegetables in the middle of the winter. We have mastered the art of making and preserving physical things, but we are unable to control the passions and desires of man.
President Spencer W. Kimball (Prophet) April 1976 Gen. Conf. http://lds.org/general-conference/1976/ ... query=moon
Through the ages there have been many laws repealed, but we know of no divine repeal of the law of work. From the obscure life organs within the body to the building of the moon landing craft, work is one of the conditions of being alive. We have been told that everyday work is a purposeful activity requiring an expenditure of energy with some sacrifice of leisure.
Elder Mark E. Peterson (12) Oct 1982 Gen. Conf. http://lds.org/general-conference/1982/ ... query=moon
Could you sisters bake a good cake if you did not follow the recipe? Could you brethren build a house or a highway, or make a clock, or send a man to the moon if you ignored the formula provided for such achievements? Could you become a doctor if you did not follow the prescribed course in a medical school? Could you become an engineer if you ignored the principles of engineering?
Elder Jacob De Jager (70) April 1983 Gen. Conf. http://lds.org/general-conference/1983/ ... query=moon
What is the situation in 1983, two hundred years later?

Man has been to the moon and has sent spaceships to distant planets. Close to three hundred satellites have been put into an earth orbit 22,300 miles above the equator to expand television and telex communications and also to study and forecast weather conditions. Yesterday, and last night during the general priesthood meeting, we were able to reach by satellite more than half a million priesthood holders at the same time.
Elder Carlos E. Asay (70) April 1990 Gen. Conf. http://lds.org/general-conference/1990/ ... query=moon
I pray for the influence of the Holy Spirit as I discuss with you a most sacred subject—a subject that I hope will have special significance to those of you who may be investigating the Church. On July 20, 1969, astronauts landed on the moon, a planet located some 239,000 miles from the earth. Millions of people the world over witnessed this historic event on television and stared in amazement as the lunar module came to rest on the moon’s surface. All were thrilled when Neil Armstrong exited from the space craft and announced: “One small step for a man; one giant leap for mankind.” [ignore the fact he called the moon a planet]

The press coverage of this monumental achievement was broad. It occupied headlines and was the subject of feature stories for many days. After all, the moon-landing had opened new frontiers of space travel, revealed new knowledge about the universe, and represented a major investment of human resources. Some reporters declared that the moon landing was the greatest event in the history of mankind since the resurrection of Christ.

I do stand in awe of the recent developments in space technology. My mind does not comprehend even a fraction of the miracles wrought by knowledgeable men of the world who have probed the universe. However, I take issue with those who believe that the placement of men upon the moon is the greatest occurrence of the last two thousand years. I do so because I know of an event wherein the Creator of the universe himself came to earth in answer to an obscure boy’s humble prayer and revealed pure theology.