Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)

What do you think about Joseph Fielding Smith's moon prophecy?

He spoke out about something quasi-political. As a Church official, he should have known to leave well enough alone.
4%
It was his personal opinion and he was wrong about it. Big deal.
35%
I think this is proof he was a "false prophet."
1%
He's human...sometimes even Prophets or Apostles get stuff wrong.
18%
Joseph Fielding Smith was right about the moon, and still is to this day.
42%

Total votes: 142
soberminded
captain of 50

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Post by soberminded »

The man himself...in his own words?
LEBANON, OHIO—Apollo 11 mission commander and famed astronaut Neil Armstrong shocked reporters at a press conference Monday, announcing he had been convinced that his historic first step on the moon was part of an elaborate hoax orchestrated by the United States government.

According to Armstrong, he was forced to reconsider every single detail of the monumental journey after watching a few persuasive YouTube videos, and reading several blog posts on conspiracy theorist Ralph Coleman's website, OmissionControl.org.

"It only took a few hastily written paragraphs published by this passionate denier of mankind's so-called 'greatest technological achievement' for me to realize I had been living a lie, " said a visibly emotional Armstrong, addressing reporters at his home. "It has become painfully clear to me that on July 20, 1969, the Lunar Module under the control of my crew did not in fact travel 250,000 miles over eight days, touch down on the moon, and perform various experiments, ushering in a new era for humanity. Instead, the entire thing was filmed on a soundstage, most likely in New Mexico."

"This is the only logical interpretation of the numerous inconsistencies in the grainy, 40-year-old footage," Armstrong added.
Although Armstrong said he "could have sworn" he felt the effects of zero gravity while soaring out of the Earth's atmosphere and through space, he now believed his memory must be flawed. He also admitted feeling "ashamed" that he had failed to notice the rippling of the American flag he and Buzz Aldrin planted on the surface, blaming his lack of awareness on the bulkiness of the spacesuit and his excitement about traveling to the "moon."

"That rippling is not possible in the vacuum of space," Armstrong said. "It must have been the wind from an air-conditioning duct that I didn't recognize because you can't hear a damn thing inside those helmets."

"This is all just common sense, people," he added. "It's the moon. You can't land on the moon."

In a symbolic display of his newfound skepticism, Armstrong then grabbed a collection of moon rocks he had kept as souvenirs and dramatically dumped them into a trash can.

One of the main arguments posited on Coleman's website—that America could not, in 1969, have realistically possessed the technological capabilities needed to put a man on the moon—was reportedly one of the first things to cause the legendary astronaut a pang of doubt. Despite having spent thousands of hours training for the historic mission under the guidance of the world's top scientists, technicians, and pilots, Armstrong said he knew the conspiracy theories were true after learning that website author Coleman was "quite the engineering buff."

"Yes, at the time I thought those thousands of NASA employees were working round the clock for the same incredible goal, but if anyone would know what was really going on, it would be Ralph Coleman," Armstrong said of the 31-year-old part-time librarian's assistant. "He knows a lot more about faked moon landings than I ever could. He's been researching the subject on the Internet for years."

"Literally years," he added.

Addressing another inconsistency brought to light by OmissionControl, Armstrong explained he was probably so focused on piloting the lunar module that he failed to notice that one of the moon rocks visible in footage of the landing appears to have the letter 'C' stamped on it. An emotional Armstrong said that the only possible explanation for this detail was that the rock actually came from NASA's prop department.

"They forgot to turn it over," Armstrong said, removing his eyeglasses to wipe away tears. "Those lying bastards at NASA went through all the trouble to fake the moon landing, but they forgot to turn over one little prop rock. And now the whole damn thing's blowing up in their faces."

Although Armstrong initially questioned why the U.S. would attempt such an elaborate cover-up, he cited one overarching explanation provided by Coleman: that it was a ploy to defeat the Soviet Union and fulfill the Illuminati's plan to unify the world's banks and control the dissemination of information.

"Just ask Ralph Coleman," Armstrong said. "He'll answer any questions you have."

To conclude the press conference, Armstrong showed reporters footage of his first steps on the moon to demonstrate that the most daming evidence was "right under our noses." Speeding up the tape and replaying the graceful moonwalk several times in a row, Armstrong explained that the iconic images of humanity's triumphant dance with the cosmos was actually just a film of him walking backwards, slowed down, and played in reverse.

"What other explanation could there be?" Armstrong asked. "It's all right here. Everything is all right here if you'd just open your damn eyes and see!"

Added Armstrong, "I suppose it really was one small step for man, one giant lie for mankind."
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/co ... inces_neil

armedtotheteeth
captain of 100

Post by armedtotheteeth »

Gotta love the Onion!

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

armedtotheteeth wrote:Gotta love the Onion!
Yes indeed! This illustrates the points I was trying to make in my posts on this thread in a much more entertaining, powerful, sardonic and funny way.

ready2prepare
captain of 1,000

Post by ready2prepare »

As for the fake moon rock in Amsterdam,
my guess is that the real one is in someone's
private collection somewhere...you know..
the ole' switcheroo.

Happens to artwork in museums, so why not
moon rocks?

Best Regards,
Sharon (Making the Best of Basics) in Mississippi

soberminded
captain of 50

Post by soberminded »

Glad to know about the "onions",...thanks.

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

Not that I want to bring up old discussions, but I found this somewhat interesting. I was preparing for a talk in church and found a talk given by President N. Eldon Tanner in the June 1971 ensign (April 1971 General Conference) where he says the following
These examples emphasize so clearly that there is strength in humility and weakness in pride. If we do not repent and change our ways, we will be repeating the history of Sodom and Gomorrah. Let us analyze our accomplishments and find out where our values are. We have made great strides of advancement in scientific fields. We have sent men to the moon and back, developed a nuclear bomb, and made great progress in the methods of war, but what have we done in the interest of peace? What have we done in the field of human relations? What progress have we made in spirituality?
I don't know if this adds to some of the discussions since I stopped following this thread after about 3 pages. I just found it interesting.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Wow that was really interesting. I'd always taken the moon landing as a certainty, or at least a near certainty. There were a lot of good points made, and I'm afraid the NASA representative didn't refute very specifically or well. Thanks for linking that video.

MasterOfNone
captain of 100

Post by MasterOfNone »

Agreed. I had heard about this conspiracy but I never really look into things related to Space. That video did indeed have some cogent evidence for it all being a fraud. Dang it, something else I have to not be certain about in conversations and be thought of as "weird" :D

Original Intent is right about that NASA Spokesmen - he did an awfully vague job of addressing the points...

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

Didn't you guys read my post regarding that report being a hoax? Neil Armstrong DID walk on the moon!

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

natasha wrote:Didn't you guys read my post regarding that report being a hoax? Neil Armstrong DID walk on the moon!
Do you mean the Onion report? I think that was more of a satire than a hoax . . . . . directed against those who don't believe Armstrong did walk on the moon.

MasterOfNone
captain of 100

Post by MasterOfNone »

Yes, the Armstrong story was a satire. What's that got to do with the documentary???

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

MasterOfNone wrote:Yes, the Armstrong story was a satire. What's that got to do with the documentary???
What's the link? I just jumped into the last page, and went back a bit on last page. Didn't see it.

armedtotheteeth
captain of 100

Post by armedtotheteeth »

This is a good one!
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/a-funny- ... -the-moon/

BTW, did you all see that the lil "bombing the moon event" did indeed turn up water.................Maybe the moon people are under the surface similarly to the lost tribes of the northern land?

Cowell
captain of 100

Post by Cowell »

Original_Intent wrote:Wow that was really interesting. I'd always taken the moon landing as a certainty, or at least a near certainty...
I felt the same way OI. Totally took me by surprise how simple it was.
MasterOfNone wrote:Agreed. I had heard about this conspiracy but I never really look into things related to Space...Dang it, something else I have to not be certain about in conversations and be thought of as "weird" :D
Lol. I totally agree. Truth is truth though, right? What can we do about it? We know as much as the Gadiantons abut the moon landing now. Even though it is truth, this wouldn't be the first thing I'd highlight to people, however. I personally only share it with people who already deeply understand the conspiracy. Otherwise they will just assume you just believe every "conspiracy theory." (Although just about all of them happen to be true, ironically.)

I found a great clip of 60 minutes where Al Gore compares those who don't believe global warming is caused by man to people who believe the moon landing was staged. And he is exactly right. http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3974505n

He uses the exact same talking point here before congress at 1:25: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0Ryek7rHk

Not saying that proves anything, but his mocking, matter of fact attitude about the subject is interesting and helps verify what I think is the truth here, that this whole thing was another big lie.

creator
(of the Forum)

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space

Post by creator »

Resurrecting, so more people can vote...

I think Joseph Fielding Smith was right.
ORIGINAL POST:
May 14, 1961 - Apostle Joseph Fielding Smith announces to stake conference in Honolulu:
JFS wrote:We will never get a man into space. This earth is man's sphere and it was never intended that he should get away from it...

The moon is a superior planet to the earth and it was never intended that man should go there. You can write it down in your books that this will never happen.
After Apollo 15's journey to the moon, the astronaut team brought JFS a Utah State Flag that they had taken with them to the moon. They gave him the flag in 1971 as a token of his "failed prophecy."

If you're having trouble with my quiz, this video might help: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... +fox&hl=en

See the video especially at 36 minutes and 40 mins. It gives great insight into both of JFS's statements (about the "Moon" and about "Space.")

patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Post by patriotsaint »

I don't think we went to the moon either.

The video with the astronauts covering the shuttle window to make the earth look farther away in their shot is pretty damning evidence in my mind. Why even attempt a shot like that?

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

Well the Kennedy assination was propaganda, the 9/11 event was propaganda then why wouldn't the moon walk be propganda? Remember we're living in the Matrix.

MercynGrace
captain of 100

Post by MercynGrace »

There are numerous references to the moon landing in church publications. Why do we teach our kids about it in the New Era and Friend or why does it get brought up in GC?

http://lds.org/friend/1982/04/the-dawni ... e?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://lds.org/new-era/1988/02/the-arms ... n?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://lds.org/ensign/1990/05/one-small ... d?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry if this is rehash. I'm not really asking about the landing but why, if it didn't happen, we participate in the false indoctrination of our own children?

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

The Moon landings were faked.... They were done in area 51 in a huge warehouse. The moon rocks were done by Disney himself a 33rd freemason. No stars at all in the night sky. come on. They had no stars in the sky because they could not reproduce the exact sky from the moon at that time. I could go on and on and on. Apparently there is a radioactive band that circles the earth at is so deadly that any human that would attempt to go through without proper shielding would most assuredly die. The shielding required was not available in 1970 space craft as it would of been too heavy to even get lift off. It was a great plan to fool the Russians most likely gave us a few decades or peace until now when WWIII is emanate. Apollo 13 was done to get more support for the NASA program and interest was almost completely dried up. What we need here is a good crisis!!! A good old fashion movie with heroes and such. Just like the fake plane that went down in Pennsylvania the completely false lets roll story on how the heroes tried to take the plane and it went nose first into the ground. This is how you do mind control. People don't think of it as mind control, maybe a better term would be culture control or mass control. It is a lie. The Moon landings are a great big phony a big phony. I know it is hard to believe.

It really is amazing how they can pull off these huge hokes-es. I am not 100% sure but there is some much evidence that it is not without a good possibility. So they do this huge hokes and then try to discredit the prophet. Nice try.

Don't get me wrong I love NASA and think it is a great program. Love the Hubble space telescope and I think the space program has been a great program and help society as a hole.

MercynGrace
captain of 100

Post by MercynGrace »

MercynGrace wrote:There are numerous references to the moon landing in church publications. Why do we teach our kids about it in the New Era and Friend or why does it get brought up in GC?

http://lds.org/friend/1982/04/the-dawni ... e?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://lds.org/new-era/1988/02/the-arms ... n?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://lds.org/ensign/1990/05/one-small ... d?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry if this is rehash. I'm not really asking about the landing but why, if it didn't happen, we participate in the false indoctrination of our own children?
Bumping this thread up because I'm hoping someone has a reasonable answer to my question...

Post by Like »

MercynGrace wrote:
MercynGrace wrote:There are numerous references to the moon landing in church publications. Why do we teach our kids about it in the New Era and Friend or why does it get brought up in GC?

Bumping this thread up because I'm hoping someone has a reasonable answer to my question...
Maybe for the same reason Church leaders continue to allow the students at BYU to be exposed to the gadiantions of our time whenever the Jack Wheatley Institute decides to invite them?

......you know to look normal to the world......

I don't know that is just a guess.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Brian, I just think you're stirring your pot up a bit.

52% ????!!! Wow. I may have to leave this forum. Getting embarrassing.

MNG, the moon landings happened. That is why it is reaffirmed by various Brethren and Church publications. Don't worry about it.

I was directly involved in the program while with the Branch of Astrogeology USGS, and am a co-author on an article in the Apollo 15 Preliminary Science Report. I have worked with moon rocks; believe me, they were highly unusual and reflected the unique environment of the moon. I worked directly with people who worked directly with training the astronauts, including involvement in their debriefing. Very bright, hard-headed people.

See if what I've said in two previous posts on page 4 make sense.

Post by Like »

larsenb wrote: 52% ????!!! Wow. I may have to leave this forum. Getting embarrassing.
:lol: just like family :lol:

You can leave but you will always be our larsenb and we will welcome you back with open arms!

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

By golly, reflecting on my own family, you're right! :shock: :oops: There's no escape!