Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)

What do you think about Joseph Fielding Smith's moon prophecy?

He spoke out about something quasi-political. As a Church official, he should have known to leave well enough alone.
4%
It was his personal opinion and he was wrong about it. Big deal.
35%
I think this is proof he was a "false prophet."
1%
He's human...sometimes even Prophets or Apostles get stuff wrong.
18%
Joseph Fielding Smith was right about the moon, and still is to this day.
42%

Total votes: 142
7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space

Post by 7cylon7 »

This is a really good point. The fact is we all can be deceived. But does this, being deceived, endanger our eternal soul? No not in many cases. So the lord allows those with free agency to deceive others so he can pass judgement on them. Just like 9/11 was a huge deceiving event. OH and by the way so was WWI and WWII just to name a few. It is all around us. Many of us who point these facts out to the lied, are laughed at and ridiculed. What else is new?

The fact that man walked on the moon is just a good example of what man may do if he puts his energy and hard work into it. This has been used over and over again and I don't disagree with it at all. So we reference the moon landing being fake still does not diminish the point being made. The world and it's technology are ever moving forward, as long as the lord wills it.

The moon landings were fake. Johnson and Nixon were both part of the hoax. It made them look good. It made America look good and we where behind the german-russian rocket scientist. The balance of power could of tipped to the Russians so the plan was hacked to fake the moon landings to 1. bring the American people back into supporting the US government as the support was lacking due to the Russian successes. 2. to prove to the Russians that we are more advanced than they are 3. to show Russia that we would not let them get a technology weapon advantage over the USA.

Why did the Russians never go to the moon? They could easily do it. In reverse if the Russians made it to the moon first would that have stopped the USA from going? NO!!! We would of went to the moon no matter what even if the Russians went first. Would the USA just of said oh well we lost the race now just scrape everything we have been doing for the past 10 years. Why did the Russian's stop? Because they knew it was not possible. The KGB also knew that the landing were being faked. KGB had men inside NASA and AP all in government. How do you think they go the BOMB so fast.

In any case there are many really good videos about the fake landings. Many are goofy mis-information ones but many are really credible sources. One of the best ones is the actual radio coms recorded live were the astronauts themselves give many many hints that what they are doing is fake and hard. Walt Disney was the ART and movie director of this nice movie production. Lessons learned from the moon landing emboldened them to do another production called 9/11. The next live movie production you are going to see is the UFO invasion.

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

The real fake Photoshopped pictures. nice.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Have you guys noticed all the instances in the media (commercials, sitcoms etc.) where they use the words "weird moon landing denier guy"? Just a trend I've been noticing lately.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

SmallFarm wrote:Have you guys noticed all the instances in the media (commercials, sitcoms etc.) where they use the words "weird moon landing denier guy"? Just a trend I've been noticing lately.
I haven't noticed but I don't have TV service.
I did notice a prophet of God make reference to man going to the moon though. Did anyone else notice that? #-o

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

shadow wrote:
SmallFarm wrote:Have you guys noticed all the instances in the media (commercials, sitcoms etc.) where they use the words "weird moon landing denier guy"? Just a trend I've been noticing lately.
I did notice a prophet of God make reference to man going to the moon though. Did anyone else notice that? #-o
I noticed another Prophet of God say that man would never step foot on the moon as well.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

shadow wrote:I did notice a prophet of God make reference to man going to the moon though. Did anyone else notice that? #-o
I also noticed a prophet of God said that man will never get to the moon, and "you can write it down in your books that this will never happen."

"A prophet was a prophet only when he was acting as such."

So, which one do you side with? :D

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

7cylon7 wrote: I noticed another Prophet of God say that man would never step foot on the moon as well.
Do you have a reference for that? Give me a month and I'll show you reference to what our living prophet said in the Ensign, or you could just go to LDS.org and pull it up right now. I tried pulling up Joseph Fielding Smiths quote but couldn't find it, at least not from him, only third person recollections found on non official LDS sites.

Also, I can show that it's been said that blacks will not get the priesthood. Do you side with the dead or believe the living?

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

shadow wrote:
7cylon7 wrote: I noticed another Prophet of God say that man would never step foot on the moon as well.
Do you have a reference for that? Give me a month and I'll show you reference to what our living prophet said in the Ensign, or you could just go to LDS.org and pull it up right now. I tried pulling up Joseph Fielding Smiths quote but couldn't find it, at least not from him, only third person recollections found on non official LDS sites.

Also, I can show that it's been said that blacks will not get the priesthood. Do you side with the dead or believe the living?
You don't even read post above so why should I post again?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

7cylon7 wrote:
shadow wrote:

You don't even read post above so why should I post again?
What post didn't I read?

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

Van Allen radiation belts need I say more.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

7cylon7 wrote:Van Allen radiation belts need I say more.
Without getting into the nitty gritty details....there are ways they could make it through the belts without sustaining the radiation exposure attributed to the belts.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Ok, let me clarify and settle, once and for all, the seeming contradictions...

When President Monson said "WE" have been to the moon, he meant "WE" as in those LDS Missionaries that some prophet/patriarchs had said would preach the Gospel to the inhabitants of the Moon.

That statement was in harmony with Pres. Joseph Fielding Smith saying "MAN" would never step foot on the moon since he was referring to Man as in "the world" and worldly men, not those sent via the Spirit of God to preach on the moon.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

7cylon7 wrote:Van Allen radiation belts need I say more.
"The Apollo astronauts traveled through the Van Allen radiation belts on the way to the moon; however, exposure was minimized by following a trajectory along the edge of the belts that avoided the strongest areas of radiation. The total radiation exposure to astronauts was estimated to be much less than the five rem set by the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission for people who work with radioactivity."

Zkulptor
captain of 100

Post by Zkulptor »

Question is, why didn't the Russians land on the moon? makes no sense to me.... they should have at least tried... or maybe they did, and it was not possible... after 911, I have a hard time believing anything the government puts its dirty hands on...

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

BrianM wrote:Ok, let me clarify and settle, once and for all, the seeming contradictions...

When President Monson said "WE" have been to the moon, he meant "WE" as in those LDS Missionaries that some prophet/patriarchs had said would preach the Gospel to the inhabitants of the Moon.

That statement was in harmony with Pres. Joseph Fielding Smith saying "MAN" would never step foot on the moon since he was referring to Man as in "the world" and worldly men, not those sent via the Spirit of God to preach on the moon.
Pres. Monson said "MAN has long since been to the moon and back." Taken in it's context he certainly did not mean LDS missionaries in the spirit world.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

shadow wrote:
FWIW I voted for it being his own opinion and he was wrong, big deal (I didn't vote that until I heard Pres. Monson's words, BTW). I was just pointing out the fact that free thinkers and people willing to question official stories are being further marginalized in todays society. :)

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2k3gdo ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[flash=][/flash]

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

go to 34:00 and view this...

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

BrianM wrote:
Wow. You're serious? :-o

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Raindrop wrote:
BrianM wrote:When President Monson said "WE" have been to the moon, he meant "WE" as in those LDS Missionaries that some prophet/patriarchs had said would preach the Gospel to the inhabitants of the Moon.
Wow. You're serious? :-o
I wasn't being serious about interpreting what Pres. Monson meant by his statement.

It is a fact that some early Saints were told they would preach the Gospel to the inhabitants of the Moon, and it's reported that Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and others had something to say about the moon and it being inhabited. I didn't make that part up. Here's just two of the multiple sources:
In my patriarchal blessing, given by the father of Joseph the Prophet, in Kirtland, 1837, I was told that I should preach the gospel before I was 21 years of age; that I should preach the gospel to the inhabitants upon the islands of the sea, and -- to the inhabitants of the moon, even the planet you can now behold with your eyes." ( Oliver B. Huntington - Young Woman's Journal 3:263-264. )
Brigham Young: "Who can tell us of the inhabitants of this little planet that shines of an evening, called the moon?... when you inquire about the inhabitants of that sphere you find that the most learned are as ignorant in regard to them as the most ignorant of their fathers. So it is in regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question of it; it was not made in vain. It was made to give light to those who dwell upon it, and to other planets; and so will this earth when it is celestialized" ( Brigham Young, July 24, 1870, Journal of Discourses 13:271 )

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

This is relevant to the discussion. :)

“When they have 13,000 Americans living on the moon, they can petition to become a state.”
“By the end of my second term, we will have the first permanent base on the moon and it will be American."
“I believe that space tourism will be a common fact of life during the adulthood of children born this year, that honeymoons in space will be the vogue by 2020 ... Imagine weightlessness and its effects and you will understand some of the attractions.”

Sources: Politico & The DC

Well, I finally found a reason to hope for a Newt presidency. He'll hire many hollywood hacks to stage this new moon colony. I wonder if James Cameron is busy. Then Americans can go about their day, happy as clams, knowing that Obama killed Osama and you can have sex on the moon.

jcricket6048
captain of 100

Post by jcricket6048 »

do not mean to bust your bubble on this but has anyone looked at the astronauts who supposedly gone to the moon and back? Do we have any testament of those guys saying that they did not go to the moon and that it is all a fake? If that was so then they would be paid millions of dollars just to be quiet on this issue. I do not see anything here that would warrant what you guys are talking about. first of all someone has to spill the beans in this issue then there would be investigation on this waste going on. So someone is just fishing on this issue which makes no sense about a fake moon landing.

takmuieo
Hi, I'm new.

Post by takmuieo »

Wow after reading this thread... [edited by administrator]

After the landing:

Joseph: Well, I was wrong, wasn't I?

http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_ ... _news.conf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have had several friends who have worked for NASA, and one of them is a good friend of mine who is an associate professor at Cal Poly Pomona. I am just simply dumbfounded. It is like watching people deny the Holocaust, [edited by administrator].

Ishmaeli
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Ishmaeli »

Seriously you guys. Do you realize that this thread is being linked to all over the Internet today, as evidence for just how crazy and deluded Mormons are? Have you noticed that the record for number of guests online has been blown away?

This thread is single-handedly unraveling months of PR work by the Church (and the Romney campaign) to convince the American public that Mormons are normal, rational, educated citizens.

Way to go, guys.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

Ishmaeli wrote:Seriously you guys. Do you realize that this thread is being linked to all over the Internet today, as evidence for just how crazy and deluded Mormons are? Have you noticed that the record for number of guests online has been blown away?

This thread is single-handedly unraveling months of PR work by the Church (and the Romney campaign) to convince the American public that Mormons are normal, rational, educated citizens.

Way to go, guys.
Ishmaeli: Thanks for making me laugh! However, get ready for the onslaught against you!