Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

This forum is for discussion of Secret Combinations: who/what they are and how to overcome them. "A secret combination that seeks to overthrow the freedom of all lands...is increasing its evil influence and control over America and the entire world." (ETB / Ether 8:18-25.)

What do you think about Joseph Fielding Smith's moon prophecy?

He spoke out about something quasi-political. As a Church official, he should have known to leave well enough alone.
6
4%
It was his personal opinion and he was wrong about it. Big deal.
45
33%
I think this is proof he was a "false prophet."
1
1%
He's human...sometimes even Prophets or Apostles get stuff wrong.
25
19%
Joseph Fielding Smith was right about the moon, and still is to this day.
58
43%
 
Total votes : 135

Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Cowell » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:47 pm

May 14, 1961 - Apostle Joseph Fielding Smith announces to stake conference in Honolulu:
JFS wrote:We will never get a man into space. This earth is man's sphere and it was never intended that he should get away from it...

The moon is a superior planet to the earth and it was never intended that man should go there. You can write it down in your books that this will never happen.

After Apollo 15's journey to the moon, the astronaut team brought JFS a Utah State Flag that they had taken with them to the moon. They gave him the flag in 1971 as a token of his "failed prophecy."

If you're having trouble with my quiz, this video might help: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... +fox&hl=en

See the video especially at 36 minutes and 40 mins. It gives great insight into both of JFS's statements (about the "Moon" and about "Space.")
Last edited by Cowell on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The devil knows if the elders of Israel should ever wake up they could step forth & help preserve freedom. Therefore the devil has concentrated, & to a large extent successfully, on neutralizing much of the priesthood. ~ETB
Cowell
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 am
Location: UK
Been thanked: 0 time

Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Sponsor

Sponsor
 
The Mormon Chronicle

Latter-day Conservative

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Lone Star Patriot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:36 pm

That's a very interesting statement that he made. I've never made up my mind about man's explorations to the moon, but considering the track record of the government on other issues, I'd say that I'd have to have some very strong proof. I did find it interesting that NASA lost the original tapes recently. How unfortunate.

Anyway, I would say that if JSF were speaking as an apostle, with the authority of God, than I do not doubt his words. I also find it interesting that he would even make such a statement. Perhaps it was a subtle voice of warning and words that we are meant to heed in today's world? I don't know. However, I once thought President Benson sounded very unusual. Now I can see that everything President Benson stated about freedom and the importance of standing up for our Constitution was correct. He was absolutely right on the mark.

In any case, those are very interesting words indeed.
Lone Star Patriot
 

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby firend » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:07 pm

I think it was his opinion, kind of like Joeph Smith jr having an opinion that their were people living on the moon.'

The reason "I think" it was opinion is because I am 50/50 on did we ever go to the moon lol

I voted opinion, but the way i figure it is simple

if it was prophesy, the government has lied (whats new) if was opinion, we still might not have went to the moon lol
firend
captain of 1,000
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Cowell » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Lone Star Patriot,
I always thought this is the one conspiracy theory that wasn't worth my time. Then I looked into it... It is exactly like all the others. Like you said, if the gov controls the info, nuff said. Watch the video I linked. From your postings I've read, I guarantee you will enjoy every segment very much.
Last edited by Cowell on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The devil knows if the elders of Israel should ever wake up they could step forth & help preserve freedom. Therefore the devil has concentrated, & to a large extent successfully, on neutralizing much of the priesthood. ~ETB
Cowell
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 am
Location: UK
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Zowieink » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Well, as a teenager, my dad and mom worked in the space program....both in Florida (he built Cape Canaveral, or I should say, was responsible for the construction to the Joint Chief of Staff) and in Houston. In Houston, I remember all the whispered words, after I had gone to bed regarding the difficulties encountered by the 2 teams landing on the moon. On Apollo 13, the man who heads the team to come up with the carbon dioxide scrubber was my father.

So, either they were completelynuts, out of touch with reality, or were lied to also, which I don't think so...so I truely believe those things happened and we did indeed have men on the moon.

In regards to JFS's statement, I have not a clue. I was not a member of the Church back then. I think, though, that what he said might be true on travel outside the solar system.

Now, I believe in faster than light travel (otherwise, how would Heavenly Father get to so many planets in this galaxy. But, for us, we will not "invent" faster than light travel, but I believe that after the world is transfigured, those in the Celestial Kingdom may have a chance to utilize it.

Sorry, if I got off topic, but the concept is very interesting and how Heavenly Father and other celestialize beings travel. :oops:
Zowieink
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:21 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Cowell » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Zowieink,
The space program is legitimate in many ways. The issue is there are always bits of untruths the gov uses as propaganda to influence the masses. Sadly, it appears this is what the Apollo missions were largely about. We have sent lots of stuff into space...just not humans. In many instances, we have sent humans to the limits of the atmosphere, which is where the international space station is, and our satellites. And that is what confuses people. But think of it this way...No other country has even attempted or claimed to have left our atmosphere. Even the US does not claim any instances where humans have left our atmosphere besides the handful of supposed moon missions. There is a reason for this. If you can get your mind around this fact, that this has never been done before or since, you will realize that it is in fact quite a leap of faith to believe this occurred with as little evidence as has been presented to verify that it did happen.

Watch the linked video, and think of the words of the JFS as you watch. Some people think he was a fool to say what he said. Interestingly enough, he was right on, science proves it. We have been the fools to believe otherwise.

Obvious use of wires: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdMvQTNL ... re=related
Flag waves as astronaut hops by (See 2:37), there is no air to cause any friction on the moon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1UEv2PIzl4&NR=1
More wires: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgfC4-_L ... re=related
Last edited by Cowell on Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The devil knows if the elders of Israel should ever wake up they could step forth & help preserve freedom. Therefore the devil has concentrated, & to a large extent successfully, on neutralizing much of the priesthood. ~ETB
Cowell
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 am
Location: UK
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Joppa » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:11 pm

I'd never heard that quote from JSF, thanks for bringing it up. He basically says the same thing in his book Answers to Gospel Questions Vol 2 under Chapter(or Question) 43: Guided Missiles and Interplanetary travel; as he did in Hawaii without coming right out and saying it. Here are a couple of his quotes I really liked from it.
"When man was placed on this earth it became his probationary, or mortal home. Here he is destined to stay until his earth-life is completed....There is no prophecy or edict ever given that mortals should ever should seek dominions beyond this earth while they dwell in mortality. Here we are, and here we should be content to stay. All this talk about space travel and the visiting of other worlds brings to mind vividly an attempt long ago made by foolish men who tried to build to heaven." Answers to Gospel Questions Vol 2, Pg. 191, and also
"The Lord will permit men to go just so far and no farther; and when they get beyond the proper bounds he will check them." Answers to Gospel Questions Vol 2, Pg 191

that second quote means to me, that man can go and orbit the earth, because they are still in the bounds of the earth. It's when he tries to be beyond the bounds when things like Apollo 13 happen.
Meu Pai, que mas deu, é maior do que todos: e ninguém pode areebatá-las da mão de meu Pai - João (10:29)
Joppa
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:36 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Cowell » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:24 pm

Joppa wrote:It's when he tries to be beyond the bounds when things like Apollo 13 happen.

Did Apollo 13 happen Joppa? Outside of our atmosphere? Watch the videos I linked. You might be surprised.
The devil knows if the elders of Israel should ever wake up they could step forth & help preserve freedom. Therefore the devil has concentrated, & to a large extent successfully, on neutralizing much of the priesthood. ~ETB
Cowell
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 am
Location: UK
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Mr. Tissue Box » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:38 pm

That's fascinating evidence. Has anyone watched the Mythbusters episode about the moon landing? I haven't seen it but I heard they debunked this evidence?
InfoWarrior82's youngest brother.
Mr. Tissue Box
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:31 pm
Location: Southern California
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Cowell » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:52 pm

Mr. Tissue Box wrote:That's fascinating evidence. Has anyone watched the Mythbusters episode about the moon landing? I haven't seen it but I heard they debunked this evidence?

Ironically, Mythbusters debunked itself. See this link at 1:32 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCPIchZD ... re=related
The devil knows if the elders of Israel should ever wake up they could step forth & help preserve freedom. Therefore the devil has concentrated, & to a large extent successfully, on neutralizing much of the priesthood. ~ETB
Cowell
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 am
Location: UK
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Mr. Tissue Box » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:14 pm

Cowell wrote:
Mr. Tissue Box wrote:That's fascinating evidence. Has anyone watched the Mythbusters episode about the moon landing? I haven't seen it but I heard they debunked this evidence?

Ironically, Mythbusters debunked itself. See this link at 1:32 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCPIchZD ... re=related

Well, the flag at the end only moved a tiny, tiny bit. Is that supposed to debunk what Mythbusters did?
InfoWarrior82's youngest brother.
Mr. Tissue Box
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:31 pm
Location: Southern California
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby ready2prepare » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:56 pm

Well...I must say...the video seems very convincing.

Have you seen NASA's latest update showing photos
of the Apollo landing sites taken by the LRO?

July 17, 2009: NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter,
or LRO, has returned its first imagery of the Apollo
moon landing sites:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/17jul_lroc.htm

The Japanese lunar orbiter sent back some amazing HD moon
footage, yet to the best of my knowledge the Japanese have
never released any photos from their orbiter showing the
Apollo landing sites. Why? Perhaps the orbiter was looking for
other things? Were none of the sites on its flyover path?

The whole thing (including NASA's mysterious loss of the original
Apollo 11 video footage) seems so very strange to me...yet the
Apollo astronauts involved in the missions all unequivocally say
they were on the moon.

Comments?
ready2prepare
captain of 1,000

User avatar
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:42 pm
Location: Quitman, MS
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Lone Star Patriot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:40 pm

Cowell,

You were right about the video. I just watched it and found it very interesting. I've said this before, I still don't understand why Fox would air a show such as this, so much of my effort was to see "how" they framed their discussion. However, at the 36 minute mark there was some very interesting information presented about the Van Allen Belts. It is very interesting and I have yet to hear any definitive argument stating how astronauts could have dealt with the radiation in their space suits and space craft.

One message that seemed to be repeated in the program was that NASA faked it in order to win the Space Race and it was due to the climate at the time that NASA found it necessary to fool the public and Russia. However, I can think of another maybe more sinister reason. I think it is entirely possible that it was done as a test to see just how much the public can be programmed to believe. And yet, this could also be a warning shot to Russia as well. It could show the former Soviet Union just how powerful our government controlled media could go in controlling our population.

That is only speculation on my part, so who knows? I certainly don't believe that Fox would go around encouraging people to believe in conspiracies, yet it is possible that as we gain more technology the average person could come up with some pretty solid analysis to show a hoax. A cover story would become very necessary if that is the case. We needed to win the Space Race would be an easy excuse for most people to believe now. And while I doubt our government would ever come forward and openly state it was a hoax, that excuse would allow anyone presented with compelling evidence for a hoax, an "easy out," so to speak.

Thanks Cowell for bringing this up. It is very interesting. I have to say, the one thing that always struck me was the lack of a blast crater, or even any sort of disturbance in the moon dust beneath the lunar modules. I remember thinking about that years and years ago.

However, back to JSF's statements, I think he may have been inspired to speak words for those who have ears to hear. Who knows, but I have a very hard time doubting words of apostles and prophets spoken at church.
Lone Star Patriot
 

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Lone Star Patriot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:51 pm

Cowell,

I just read your thoughts in another thread about why the LDG's allow information about their works to be aired on TV and in the news media. I think you are absolutely right. Mixing lies and truth is much more effective than simply keeping their works completely hidden.

I occasionally listen to a guy named Alan Watt, and he talks about this very thing. You also mention how the LDG's deal with people who question, they mock them. That reminded me of the people in the Large and Spacious building. What is interesting, is that in the BOM people fell away because of the people who mocked them from the Large and Spacious Building.

Anyway, considering all that I've seen, I am certainly not apt to believe the government's story, especially because of their track record.

Thanks again!
Lone Star Patriot
 

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby pritchet1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:52 am

We have an awful lot of members of the church who were involved in NASA over the years. I met some. They were sincere in the work they did. (Curious how many have succumbed to "cancer".)

Why after 40 years did "we" not go back to the moon?

What of the undoctored pictures of the structures on the back side of the moon? The structures on the visible side and watching things move on the surface of the moon?

Perhaps Joseph Smith Jr. was correct about folks on the moon. :!:

I met the guy who made the movie about the moon landings being a hoax (A funny thing happened on the way to the moon), even as he showed us the v-shaped vehicles flying overhead in formation last summer over Alberquerque at night while using night vision goggles to see them, while attending the Tesla Tech Conference. He showed the "doctored" pictures that covered up the items that were already on the moon before man visited it. He was fun to listen to.

Moon Landing Hoax
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon
Hollow Moon
Moon water
Lunar atmosphere
Moon Photo Examinations
Dark Side of the Moon
"Dark Moon" Debunking
I read this thought-provoking book by Ingo Swann-
Penetration Some of it was goofy and he tends to use bad language. Once past that, he gets into real info later in the book (Part 3). (He uses telepathy to connect with folks on the moon. :roll: )

Why not a moon base to monitor man? Why did we sink so much money into a manned satellite around earth instead of returning to the moon? And if we have 'scopes that can look into deep space, why do "we" not look more closely at the things that move across the moon's surface?

And as the Apollo moon landings were going on, the Ham radio operators around the world were monitoring communications.

I believe some of the released items from NASA were staged or "Hollywoodized", but not all.

As far as the original Apollo tapes being erased, that is a "false flag". Tape deteriorates. The data was transferred elsewhere for backup and preserved.
pritchet1
captain of 1,000
 
Posts: 3609
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:53 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby DOZ » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:15 am

As pritchet1 wrote "why don't we go back?"...cause we do not have the technology. Imagine back then??? according to my findings they would of burned to a crisp.
Mercy, with its sister virtue forgiveness, is at the very heart of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the eternal plan of salvation.

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
Ensign, Nov. 1997
DOZ
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:32 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby firend » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:37 pm

capricorn 1 anyone!

Also, to me the moon pictures look fake. It looks like about 100 yards their is surface, and then it drops off. Ah, that is fake to me. How does the surface just drop off like that. Even with little atmosphere, it should look different in my opinion.

One thing that favors a moon landing is the lack of dust they found. That would show the earth is only a few thousand years old favoring the biblical creation account. It baffled the scientists supposedly.

I guess one must interpret the scripture about being able to roam free in the sphere in which they were placed!

I still am 50/50 on it, because I have not spent much time on it. Boy those pictures look fake though lol.
firend
captain of 1,000
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Cowell » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:45 pm

Mr. Tissue Box wrote:Well, the flag at the end only moved a tiny, tiny bit. Is that supposed to debunk what Mythbusters did?

You do realize the moon's atmosphere is nearly a perfect vacuum, right? i.e, the lunar atmosphere is less than one trillionth the density of the Earth's atmosphere at sea level. There is NO possibility of friction whatsoever. It is a more perfect vacuum than anything that can be created on earth. So think inside a light-bulb times about a million.

So yeah, the "tiny, tiny bit" you saw the flag move...which by all means would happen on earth, is impossible on the moon. Perhaps we can get Dr. Jones to weigh in on this.

In the meantime, watch the clip again at 2:37, and this time as you watch think...Vacuum, no friction, Nevada High Desert... And the video will make a lot more sense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1UEv2PIzl4&NR=1
firend wrote:One thing that favors a moon landing is the lack of dust they found. That would show the earth is only a few thousand years old favoring the biblical creation account. It baffled the scientists supposedly.

Thanks for your comment firend. One thing you have to consistently remind yourself of, when you are thinking about the moon landing, is the fact that we do have an incredibly technologically advanced space program. Scientists know everything about the moon, and I don't doubt we are capable of sending everything including the kitchen sink there, but that doesn't mean man has been there. There is a big big difference.
The devil knows if the elders of Israel should ever wake up they could step forth & help preserve freedom. Therefore the devil has concentrated, & to a large extent successfully, on neutralizing much of the priesthood. ~ETB
Cowell
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 am
Location: UK
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby joseph » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:26 pm

The problem I have with such conspiracies is the vast number of people that they would need to keep quiet. The 9-11 conspiracy is different as it would only take a relatively few people to blow up the buildings.
joseph
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:45 pm
Location: Uintah Basin
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby pritchet1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:39 pm

I thought the premise that the moon is a hollow sphere and is more a satellite than a moon was intriguing. And that Apollo 13 had a nuclear device aboard to test that theory and supposedly was the reason why the mission failed.
pritchet1
captain of 1,000
 
Posts: 3609
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:53 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Cowell » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:03 pm

joseph wrote:The problem I have with such conspiracies is the vast number of people that they would need to keep quiet. The 9-11 conspiracy is different as it would only take a relatively few people to blow up the buildings.

There were only three eye witnesses to the original landing. The federal government controlled/controls all the evidence we have of the moon landing. Other than what we have from the government, there is no independent verification by the media or otherwise as to what took place that day, or on other apollo missions. I too always thought this was the "conspiracy theory" I didn't care to study, because it seems like so long ago, and I figured, in any case, we have the technology to pull it off today. Watch the video clips I posted, joseph, and you will see as I did that this is the exact same thing as 9/11. I agree with Lone Star that this was merely an effort to again control the masses.

JFS was right all along.
The devil knows if the elders of Israel should ever wake up they could step forth & help preserve freedom. Therefore the devil has concentrated, & to a large extent successfully, on neutralizing much of the priesthood. ~ETB
Cowell
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 am
Location: UK
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby firend » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:23 pm

firend wrote:One thing that favors a moon landing is the lack of dust they found. That would show the earth is only a few thousand years old favoring the biblical creation account. It baffled the scientists supposedly.

Thanks for your comment firend. One thing you have to consistently remind yourself of, when you are thinking about the moon landing, is the fact that we do have an incredibly technologically advanced space program. Scientists know everything about the moon, and I don't doubt we are capable of sending everything including the kitchen sink there, but that doesn't mean man has been there. There is a big big difference.[/quote]


ya, that is true isn't it :)
firend
captain of 1,000
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Mahonri » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:11 pm

I believe the quote by Joseph Smith Jr to be true, just not how we would think of it.

As for Joseph Fielding Smiths words, might be true, might not. D&C 107 says that since it was only his words though, they are basically not binding upon us.

22 Of the Melchizedek Priesthood, three Presiding High Priests, chosen by the body, appointed and ordained to that office, and upheld by the confidence, faith, and prayer of the church, form a quorum of the Presidency of the Church.
23 The twelve traveling councilors are called to be the Twelve Apostles, or special witnesses of the name of Christ in all the world—thus differing from other officers in the church in the duties of their calling.
24 And they form a quorum, equal in authority and power to the three presidents previously mentioned.
25 The Seventy are also called to preach the gospel, and to be especial witnesses unto the Gentiles and in all the world—thus differing from other officers in the church in the duties of their calling.
26 And they form a quorum, equal in authority to that of the Twelve special witnesses or Apostles just named.
27 And every decision made by either of these quorums must be by the unanimous voice of the same; that is, every member in each quorum must be agreed to its decisions, in order to make their decisions of the same power or validity one with the other—
And I mean that in the nicest possible way. Insert tact here.
Mahonri
Master

User avatar
 
Posts: 3983
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:20 pm
Location: Where you want to be when crap hits the fan, but I'm not telling.
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Spence » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Lone Star Patriot wrote:I still don't understand why Fox would air a show such as this, so much of my effort was to see "how" they framed their discussion. However, at the 36 minute mark there was some very interesting information presented about the Van Allen Belts.

That is only speculation on my part, so who knows? I certainly don't believe that Fox would go around encouraging people to believe in conspiracies, yet it is possible that as we gain more technology the average person could come up with some pretty solid analysis to show a hoax.


You have to remember what Fox, the network TV station, looked like 10 years ago. Things such as this were a large portion of their programming.

I don't have an opinion one way or another, nor the time right now to invest time into figuring out something like this which is low on my scale of importance with the current events of the day.
"In our own time, the late Elder LeGrand Richards was heard by some of us to declare that he did not fret about the Church, because it is the Lord's Church, 'so I let him worry about it!'" -Neal A Maxwell
Spence
captain of 1,000

User avatar
 
Posts: 1163
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:19 pm
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby joseph » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:12 am

I watched all of the videos, but I am still not convinced. It is important to discuss these things. I am puzzled by the closed minds who quickly dismiss "conspiracies" and ridicule those who talk about them.

Cowell, you have given me food for thought. The myth busters flag video is interesting. Thank you.

I believe that Mars was very recently inhabited. There are more to Father's Kingdom than we could even begin to imagine.
joseph
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:45 pm
Location: Uintah Basin
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Quiet Cricket » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:16 am

Interesting topic. About Joseph Smith saying men lived on the moon, I've always thought they could exist in a different dimension like the spirit world on this earth or in an unlimited number of other ways completely unknown to us. As humans I believe we know practically nothing about things outside of our sphere.
If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you...because ye are not of the world...the world hateth you. He that hateth me hateth my Father also. – JOHN:15
Quiet Cricket
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:54 am
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby firend » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:27 am

Quiet Cricket wrote:Interesting topic. About Joseph Smith saying men lived on the moon, I've always thought they could exist in a different dimension like the spirit world on this earth or in an unlimited number of other ways completely unknown to us. As humans I believe we know practically nothing about things outside of our sphere.



you make an excellent point about the dimension thing. I also agree about us humans not knowing a whole lot outside of our sphere.
firend
captain of 1,000
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby mchlwise » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:28 pm

Cowell wrote:You do realize the moon's atmosphere is nearly a perfect vacuum, right? i.e, the lunar atmosphere is less than one trillionth the density of the Earth's atmosphere at sea level. There is NO possibility of friction whatsoever. It is a more perfect vacuum than anything that can be created on earth. So think inside a light-bulb times about a million.

So yeah, the "tiny, tiny bit" you saw the flag move...which by all means would happen on earth, is impossible on the moon. Perhaps we can get Dr. Jones to weigh in on this.

In the meantime, watch the clip again at 2:37, and this time as you watch think...Vacuum, no friction, Nevada High Desert... And the video will make a lot more sense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1UEv2PIzl4&NR=1


The astronaut moves between the camera and the flag. We have, from the perspective of the camera, no idea how close he is to either (the camera or the flag). Why couldn't he have slightly bumped the flag on the way by, causing it to move as it did in a vacuum?

As far as the wires, the only "evidence" I saw was the glints of light - that line up perfectly with glints/glare from helmets, etc. It's an artifact in the camera/lens, not an actual reflection off of something. Do any photography with large lenses of bright glare from the sun, etc., and you will see the same thing.

In the clip where the astronaut is supposedly being lifted up by the wires, he has his feet on the ground and has clasped hands with the other astronaut who he has asked to help him up. At 1/6 gravity, I don't see any problem with a reasonably strong man being able to lift himself up as he did - without wires.

Bottom line for me: I don't know if we really went to the moon or not - I wasn't there - but I haven't seen anything to convince me that the videos show anything other than what they purport to show, and those looking for "mistakes" or proof in the videos are unconvincing to me. I have yet to see an argument that I can't refute using simple logic and basic understanding of physics. On the other hand, to convince so many people who worked/work at NASA, to be so secretive about all of it, and for not one of them to provide any proof or even to come forward themselves and just say they faked it, for 40 years now... seems more difficult to me than just going to the moon as they say they did.
mchlwise
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:29 pm
Location: Utah
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby Cowell » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:19 am

Mchlwise,

It's interesting that two people can live in the same world, and see things so differently.

For instance, I, on the other hand, haven't seen any good evidence to convince me that the videos the government has shown us is what they purport to be. Putting forward seemingly "logical explanations" for the videos is unconvincing to me. I have yet to see a good argument from anyone that supports the idea that we did in fact go to the moon. You overestimate the ability of Americans to think for themselves and underestimate the governments ability to spread propaganda and rewrite history, which happens all the time.

You also need to come up with a better explanation for the flag moving. Your argument relies too heavily on a proposition that is less than likely. I want to hear your "logical" explanation for why the flag moved after the actor-naut did not touch the flag. It's very easy to claim to make logical arguments when you can rewrite facts any way you want them. However, it is obvious he is nowhere near the flag.
The devil knows if the elders of Israel should ever wake up they could step forth & help preserve freedom. Therefore the devil has concentrated, & to a large extent successfully, on neutralizing much of the priesthood. ~ETB
Cowell
captain of 100

User avatar
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 am
Location: UK
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Was Joseph Fielding Smith wrong about the Moon and Space?

Postby firend » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:37 am

I just went to some links on this since it has peaked my interest a little more.

As for the wires, ?

When the astromen leap up and slowly come back down, why does the dirt they kick up come down so quickly? I mean the dirt is actually going down at the same time as they are moving up.....and they are in a near vacuum or whatever.....hmmmmmm

I am going to watch more

oh ya, the way the wire seems to lift the guy up lol

I have always thought the footage looked fake, but now it really looks fake lol
firend
captain of 1,000
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Next

Return to Political/Economic Secret Combinations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests