How do you propose to pay for it?

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

How do you propose to pay for it?

Post by Silver »

As Trump drives us towards conflict around the world, I have a question for his cheering supporters here:

How do you propose to pay for the next war, and the next one, and the next?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: How do you propose to pay for it?

Post by JohnnyL »

Easy--the same way we've ALWAYS done it. And the same way we would have done it, had anyone else been President.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

JohnnyL wrote: May 31st, 2017, 9:31 am Easy--the same way we've ALWAYS done it. And the same way we would have done it, had anyone else been President.
So $20 trillion in debt is nothing? Please tell us what you think the maximum national debt can be without the world refusing to accept US$ in payment.

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

Silver wrote: May 31st, 2017, 10:16 am
JohnnyL wrote: May 31st, 2017, 9:31 am Easy--the same way we've ALWAYS done it. And the same way we would have done it, had anyone else been President.
So $20 trillion in debt is nothing? Please tell us what you think the maximum national debt can be without the world refusing to accept US$ in payment.

Pfft only 20 trillion no biggie the world will just keep going on forever. Nothing will ever happen. Worship money and materials its great! Sarcasm...

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Hello, MasterCard? Yeah, this here's Bubba. Yeah, look I know the ol' credit card is bumping up against the limit, but me and the Mrs. talked about it last night while we were at the tractor pull and we decided that we wuz just gonna get y'all to raise the limit so we'd have enough funds to keep up with our other payments and such as that... You wanna raise what!?!? The interest rate? Wull, what for? Credit risk? We pay y'all every month fair and square. Wull, yeah we mighta been late a time or two lately but shore as your sitting there we ain't gonna miss any payments if y'all just give us another 5 grand or so. Why, they's talk of Mabel getting a raise down at Dollar General so we'll be able throw another 3 or 4 bucks on top of them minimum payments we been making.

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

It's not as if we'll ever pay off the debt we already have, and our debtors know this. Worrying about taking on more debt at this point is akin to straightening deck chairs on the Titanic.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote: May 31st, 2017, 12:34 pm It's not as if we'll ever pay off the debt we already have, and our debtors know this. Worrying about taking on more debt at this point is akin to straightening deck chairs on the Titanic.
That qualifies as one of the most laughable comments ever on LDSFF. Yeah, sure, let's just ignore thousands of years of history, the Fall of the Roman Empire, and gravity.

I posit that NOT worrying about the debt is the financial equivalent of straightening deck chairs on the Titanic.

I know several members here do not agree with me on much However, when you chaps just jettison all common sense you really look silly.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

The U.S. dollar will continue to be used around the world and have value as long as our military dominates the globe, period. X( Our dollar isn't backed by anything except the U.S. military and that, in and of itself, gives it value. As soon as we become neutralized militarily, that's when it is game over for us and it will be ugly on the grandest of scales.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Col. Flagg wrote: May 31st, 2017, 1:43 pm The U.S. dollar will continue to be used around the world and have value as long as our military dominates the globe, period. X( Our dollar isn't backed by anything except the U.S. military and that, in and of itself, gives it value. As soon as we become neutralized militarily, that's when it is game over for us and it will be ugly on the grandest of scales.
Have you heard of the IMF's SDR? Do you think it will become the next world reserve currency? If so, do you have any guesses as to when? I could see it happening before the US military goes kaput because of the scale of the financial crisis. Put everybody on a debit card, price everything in SDR's.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

We will pay with Silver. ( made myself laugh) because it is of little worth!

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Silver wrote: May 31st, 2017, 12:42 pm
I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote: May 31st, 2017, 12:34 pm It's not as if we'll ever pay off the debt we already have, and our debtors know this. Worrying about taking on more debt at this point is akin to straightening deck chairs on the Titanic.
That qualifies as one of the most laughable comments ever on LDSFF. Yeah, sure, let's just ignore thousands of years of history, the Fall of the Roman Empire, and gravity.

I posit that NOT worrying about the debt is the financial equivalent of straightening deck chairs on the Titanic.

I know several members here do not agree with me on much However, when you chaps just jettison all common sense you really look silly.
You apparently missed the point. What's laughable is that you actually think anything can be done about our country's financial situation now. Talk about delusional.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote: May 31st, 2017, 8:59 pm

You apparently missed the point. What's laughable is that you actually think anything can be done about our country's financial situation now. Talk about delusional.
OK, enjoy your pity party.

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Silver wrote: May 31st, 2017, 9:18 pm

OK, enjoy fretting over that which you have no control.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote: May 31st, 2017, 9:31 pm
Silver wrote: May 31st, 2017, 9:18 pm

OK, enjoy fretting over that which you have no control.
Why do you think you are somehow scoring points against me in this discussion? I've already said the country has too much debt and therefore should not go to war again. All I'm saying is that I personally am not fretting over the economy or Trump or war or anything. Remember that scripture, "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear."? That's me. Furthermore, given my 47 years in the Church and keen interest in never going hungry, I've made it a point to see how my fellow ward/stake members are doing in preparing as commanded by God. Turns out the percent of members who have a supply of food that will last them 12 months is lower than the percent of members who regularly attend Sacrament meeting. Seems to be a problem with priorities. The fretting will be done in other households.