How to fast track health reform

This forum is for discussion of Secret Combinations: who/what they are and how to overcome them. "A secret combination that seeks to overthrow the freedom of all lands...is increasing its evil influence and control over America and the entire world." (ETB / Ether 8:18-25.)
BeNotDeceived
captain of 100

How to fast track health reform

Postby BeNotDeceived » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:34 pm

July 27 (Reuters) - With John McCain’s support, and a tie-breaking vote by Vice-President Mike Pence, the Republican party managed to bring the Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017 to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) to the Senate floor for debate. Originally proposed in March 2017, this bill made it out of committee in record time.

The Senate rejected the bill Wednesday, but Republican leaders are now trying to gain support for a slimmed-down version. It’s unclear exactly what the “skinny” bill would include, but so far all versions of the Republican health plans include variations of measures to decrease government support of Medicaid by approximately 850 billion dollars over the next 10 years and leave 20-25 million more Americans without health insurance. Many of them substantially increase average premiums.

In contrast, health care proposals that actually benefit the public, sometimes at the expense of Big Insurance, Big Food, and other “Bigs”, seem destined to be shuffled from committee to committee for years without ever being openly debated in Congress and in front of America. Something is wrong here. Why should health care bills designed to enrich big business be prioritized over those that promote a healthier America?

The Stop Subsidizing Childhood Obesity Act, introduced by two Democratic senators in 2012, would have ended federal tax subsidies for advertising promoting the consumption of products that are unhealthy for children. That money would be re-routed to provide more fresh fruits and vegetables to elementary school students in low income schools.

The idea that we should stop government support for unhealthy products and use those funds to promote better health instead seems like a no-brainer. Except for the fact that if it passed it would stop giving Big Food companies a tax break when they encouraged our kids to eat cakes, candy, sugar-sweetened beverages and other foods that are clearly bad for them. Yet the bill has never made it out of committee and has been resubmitted to each Congressional session. ... https://www.reuters.com/article/rosenba ... SL1N1KI1Q4

End subsidies on and excise tax bad stuff (net-carbs), that's how Image
Recognize similarity
7 years of prosperity

2 cents paid advance
2 days wasn't chance

Destruction's door
gapes wide 2024 :ymdevil:

The wise will know change is near
Be prepared and you shall not fear

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

Medical Cost Sharing - It's not insurance it's better!

gardener4life
captain of 100

Re: How to fast track health reform

Postby gardener4life » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:22 am

Those are interesting thoughts. I...well...I think part of the problem that nobody is facing is the fact that everybody in healthcare wants a six digit income. If it keeps up like that then no plan on either side of the table will work simply because there's too many people that want wealth for the least amount of effort.

I have a relative that works in healthcare. You can also see how people in those fields often become big spenders on themselves, not their families.

And those people are highly represented with a lot of lobbyists.

There needs to be a shakeup in the idea of healthcare shouldn't be a get rich quick scheme, for it to truly be affordable.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby lundbaek » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:30 am

If I understand the US Constitution correctly, operating a healthcare system is not one of the powers delegated to the FedGov, but "reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

Silver
captain of 1,000

Postby Silver » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:15 am

As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

Silver
captain of 1,000

Postby Silver » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:17 am

gardener4life wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:22 am
Those are interesting thoughts. I...well...I think part of the problem that nobody is facing is the fact that everybody in healthcare wants a six digit income. If it keeps up like that then no plan on either side of the table will work simply because there's too many people that want wealth for the least amount of effort.

I have a relative that works in healthcare. You can also see how people in those fields often become big spenders on themselves, not their families.

And those people are highly represented with a lot of lobbyists.

There needs to be a shakeup in the idea of healthcare shouldn't be a get rich quick scheme, for it to truly be affordable.
If you don't want the doctors to be interested in making lots of money quickly, you're going to have figure out how to allow them to graduate with hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans.
As a prophet reveals the truth it divides the people. (T)he worldly either want to close the mouth of the prophet, or else act as if the prophet didn’t exist, rather than repent of their sins. Popularity is never a test of truth. Ezra Taft Benson

BeNotDeceived
captain of 100

Postby BeNotDeceived » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Silver wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:15 am
Interesting recap of last night.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/back ... .glQjaJRbK
Here goes an experiment in pic posting. Image

... even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ...

Surprisingly my little particle of code doth render said image. @-)
Recognize similarity
7 years of prosperity

2 cents paid advance
2 days wasn't chance

Destruction's door

BeNotDeceived
captain of 100

Postby BeNotDeceived » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:06 am

Dafty's thread about chickens prompted my google search of excise tax on SSBs.

Impact of the Berkeley Excise Tax on Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption.
Falbe J, et al. Am J Public Health. 2016.
Abstract
OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the impact of the excise tax on sugar-sweetened beverage (SSB) consumption in Berkeley, California, which became the first US jurisdiction to implement such a tax ($0.01/oz) in March 2015.

METHODS: We used a repeated cross-sectional design to examine changes in pre- to posttax beverage consumption in low-income neighborhoods in Berkeley versus in the comparison cities of Oakland and San Francisco, California. A beverage frequency questionnaire was interviewer administered to 990 participants before the tax and 1689 after the tax (approximately 8 months after the vote and 4 months after implementation) to examine relative changes in consumption.

RESULTS: Consumption of SSBs decreased 21% in Berkeley and increased 4% in comparison cities (P = .046). Water consumption increased more in Berkeley (+63%) than in comparison cities (+19%; P < .01).

CONCLUSIONS: Berkeley's excise tax reduced SSB consumption in low-income neighborhoods. Evaluating SSB taxes in other cities will improve understanding of their public health benefit and their generalizability. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27552267/

Was the top hit; see even evil liberals are right sometimes, like a broken clock. @-)
Recognize similarity
7 years of prosperity

2 cents paid advance
2 days wasn't chance

Destruction's door

BeNotDeceived
captain of 100

Postby BeNotDeceived » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:33 am

Proof positive UKs policy is working. :ymapplause:

... Speaking to analysts yesterday, CEO Damian Gammell said the bottler has already brought 40% of its UK business under the minimum sugar threshold for the levy. He said sugar-reduction work will accelerate ahead of the tax's implementation in April next year, ultimately leaving just the flagship energy drinks brand and full-sugar Coca-Cola in the duty's firing line.

CCEP is "very much focused on reformulating pretty much all of our brands, except Coke Classic and Monster out of the tax", Gammell said. "Clearly, the reformulation was the priority and I'm very pleased ... that we could move so quickly to get that done."

The UK sugar tax will have a taxable threshold of 5g per 10cl, leading a number of UK soft drinks producers to reformulate products to contain less sugar.

CCEP has already lowered the sugar content of Fanta Orange and Sprite by a third to bring the brands under the threshold. ... https://www.just-drinks.com/news/coke-m ... 23807.aspx
Recognize similarity
7 years of prosperity

2 cents paid advance
2 days wasn't chance

Destruction's door

JohnnyL
captain of 1,000

Postby JohnnyL » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:20 am

Let me guess... They're substituting sugar with "fake" sugar? ;(

BeNotDeceived
captain of 100

Postby BeNotDeceived » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:58 pm

JohnnyL wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:20 am
Let me guess... They're substituting sugar with "fake" sugar? ;(
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46255&p=799190&hilit=stevia#p799190 is one post about Stevia products, which are natural in origin.

Processed sugar is better described as a poison:

Is Sugar Toxic? More About The Dangers of Sugar - Dr. Mercola's ... Calling sugar a "toxin" or a "poison" 13 times, and referring to it as "evil" five times, Robert Lustig explains that the dangers of sugar apply to all ...

Shall we allow them to use real anti-freeze to sweeten your cinnamon roll too? Image

Recognize similarity
7 years of prosperity

2 cents paid advance
2 days wasn't chance

Destruction's door

Crackers
captain of 10

Postby Crackers » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 pm

I'm totally with you on ending subsidies, but an excise tax is a bad idea. What happens when big bro decides that not vaccinating your kids is bad for public health and decides to withhold tax benefits if you don't comply? Oh wait, that has already happened in Australia. Not to start a vaccination tangent, but that is an easy example of a government deciding for ALL citizens what is good for them regardless of individual needs, differences and opinions. The slippery slope of allowing big bro to decide what is right or wrong and punish or reward accordingly is not a ride I want to be on. Free societies don't do that. I think most people would agree that sodas etc. are bad for you, but why not let people use their agency instead of giving big bro more power over our lives? On another level, it's equivalent to wanting a king (since you have a good one lined up and ready to go), but down the road a bad one pops in and starts to make a mess. You've read it in the BOM folks.

Return to “Political/Economic Secret Combinations”