Third Time's the Charm guessing contest

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Third Time's the Charm guessing contest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Up, down, strange or charmed; three quarks for muster mark. Image

I really enjoyed Silver's great silver contest to guess the closing price of silver, and wish to keep the fun alive. :ymhug:

Silver and Gold may be more valuable than paper and never go near zero, but the value of so-called "precious" metals is mostly based on historical rarity. Industrial metals on the other hand are based on their inherently valuable properties. Only problem is that most aren't that valuable by weight, except possibly platinum, but it's main use is for cadillac converters, which won't be necessary as cars trend to hydrogen or electric. Titanium on the other hand is used for a multitude of things and looks to be of lasting value.

Diversification helps spread the risk of individual investments so titanium looks like a good addition. It goes for $5-7 per ounce or about $30 a pound. So it makes better sense to acquire it by the pound. The idea is to continue guessing the price of silver the same way we've been doing and Meili has graciously offered to track the winners.

Post your guess for the weeks closing price by noon Texas time on Thursday as before, and whoever gets the closest three times wins a pound of titanium. Silver and Meili start with one-win each for their help to set things in motion. The first week will begin on the 16th to allow for any needed changes, before the guesses begin. The contest will continue until 5 pounds of titanium have been awarded, or 6 pounds should there be a tie the final week.

Please post your thoughts, questions and concerns. :-\

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Third Time's the Charm guessing contest

Post by Silver »

Hey BND,
Since most of us are not familiar with what a pound of titanium looks like, would you please post a picture of the item you are giving away?

Thanks for the contest. I look forward to participating.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Silver wrote: July 7th, 2017, 5:32 am Hey BND,
Since most of us are not familiar with what a pound of titanium looks like, would you please post a picture of the item you are giving away?

Thanks for the contest. I look forward to participating.
Roger, wilco Image

Image Image

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

What index will we be using as the official price?

I'm trying to get a spreadsheet put together but for now all I've got is my phone and Google is throwing fits. I'll probably have to try again tomorrow.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Meili wrote: July 7th, 2017, 10:22 pm What index will we be using as the official price?

I'm trying to get a spreadsheet put together but for now all I've got is my phone and Google is throwing fits. I'll probably have to try again tomorrow.
There doesn't seem to be an index for titanium like there is for precious metals. Silver is nice and volatile and Silver's Tried and True high noon Texas Time on Thursday makes for a nice string of Ts in keeping with The Titanium Theme.

IWS explained the wicked spikes are wicked currency manipulators. I've read up on titanium and am excited to learn more.

Thanks again for help with the tracking. :)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Okay, I've just entered new territory and created a spreadsheet on my phone. This is the result of this contest and my vacation beginning at the same time. This link is supposed to take you to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

:-ss

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Meili wrote: July 8th, 2017, 5:16 pm Okay, I've just entered new territory and created a spreadsheet on my phone. This is the result of this contest and my vacation beginning at the same time. This link is supposed to take you to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

Meili, looks good except for the cells for our "guesses" are also highlighted like the "winner" cell. Enjoy your vacation.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Silver wrote: July 8th, 2017, 5:25 pm
Meili wrote: July 8th, 2017, 5:16 pm Okay, I've just entered new territory and created a spreadsheet on my phone. This is the result of this contest and my vacation beginning at the same time. This link is supposed to take you to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk

Meili, looks good except for the cells for our "guesses" are also highlighted like the "winner" cell. Enjoy your vacation.
Prolly because you and Melli start with one win. The plan is that next week (16-20) would be the first week with the deadline being noon on Thursday the 20th. Everyting's the same except someone must score three best guesses to win. When someone scores a prize their win count reverts to zero, so a super good guesser could score another prize. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Hope this doesn't detract from Meili's vacation and changes can certainly be made to best accolade. :)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

BeNotDeceived wrote: July 8th, 2017, 6:11 pm
Silver wrote: July 8th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Prolly because you and Melli start with one win. The plan is that next week (16-20) would be the first week with the deadline being noon on Thursday the 20th. Everyting's the same except someone must score three best guesses to win. When someone scores a prize their win count reverts to zero, so a super good guesser could score another prize. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Hope this doesn't detract from Meili's vacation and changes can certainly be made to best accolade. :)
My toddler detracted from my vacation and I threw in the towel and came home. But I still have spreadsheet abilities on my phone. :ymparty:

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

iWriteStuff wrote: July 12th, 2017, 12:16 pm16.10
Here's your early bird prize.

The contest begins next week with bids placed in that weeks thread, as before.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

BeNotDeceived wrote: July 12th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Hey, I'm practicing here!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Does he get a boobie prize for being the closest guess this week?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Meili wrote: July 13th, 2017, 12:37 am

Does he get a boobie prize for being the closest guess this week?
I got 10 ounce pieces of Titanium to award bonus for anyone that guesses within 2 cents of correct. Half cents don't count; it's the closing bid in the little white box that counts i.e. closing bid = 16.10 and your closest guess is 16.08, 16.09, 16.11 or 16.12 then you get one bonus ounce; an exact guess on target (16.10) get's two bonus ounces. Ok 24 hours form the timestamp of this message for those to enter a guess for maximum bonus. If the closest person qualifies for a bonus it will be awarded with their pound or awarded at the conclusion should they win this bonus round, but fail in subsequent weeks to score a pound. Only one person wins each week unless two people tie, then they both win.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Bonus bids may be entered for 24 hours from the time stamp of my previous message. 12 pounds from provident metals are on the way. I'll post weekly threads sometime Saturday stateside.Image

IWS is welcome to enter another bid in the 24 hour window. Please only bid once and no editing your guess of the closing bid price.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Here is what a bonus ounce looks like:

ImageImage

Logging a geocache is a great way to also score a bonus ounce.

The Gigal in Week 5 and OKC Memorial in Week 6 are a couple of my favorites. :ymhug: