Silver Contest...One Ounce/Week

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Silver Contest...One Ounce/Week

Post by Silver »

My username is Silver. Let's have a silver price guessing contest!

One contest/week. One ounce to the winner each week until my birthday which is near the end of June. So from next week until the end of June there are 11 Fridays. That's at least 11 ounces of .999 pure silver. The winner each week will be whoever comes closest to guessing the closing price of silver on each Friday.

LDSFF members who want to participate can submit their guesses on this thread. The entries for the weekly contest can be posted starting at 12:00:00AM on Monday (Texas time, of course, 'cuz that's where I live), and the cut-off time for the final bid for the week will be Thursday high noon. With the results announced by Saturday or Sunday depending on how busy I am with family matters or church lessons. The winner would then forward their mailing address to me via PM. I pay for the cost of shipping.

Da Rulez
1. We don't need no stinkin' rules.
2. We may need a rule that says in case of a tie, I will send to both winners. For example, if the closing price were $18.00 and one person guessed $18.01 and another guessed $17.99, there are two winners that week.
3. No doubling up or tripling up on one price, like the $17.99 in the example above. Whoever guesses it first wins.
4. Must be at least 10 years old to participate. Contest not open to BrianM or his family. LOL. Brian is aware of this contest and has approved.
5. I live in 'Murica, OK?! Foreign shipping costs could be high so if someone Down Under or Mexico or Queensland (the UK) wins, I may just send money in the amount of the closing price via PayPal. I would be tickled if the recipient of the funds later reported back on what they purchased.
6. Let's say that winners can't submit bids for the next two week's contest to give other LDSFF members an opportunity to win.

New rules added 17Apr2017
7. Only one guess/person/week.
8. No editing of guesses allowed.

New rule added 21Apr2017
9. Anybody who comes in 2nd three times without a 1st place win will also receive a free ounce of silver.

My goal is to get members to think about real money as defined by the Constitution and approved by Ezra Taft Benson.

We'll use Kitco for determining closing price each Friday.
http://www.kitco.com/kitco-gold-index.html

That's it. Submit your first guess next Monday, the 17th. Contest runs until June 30th.

If you have questions or suggestions, please post them below. I'm human and may have overlooked something critical.
Last edited by Silver on April 21st, 2017, 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Silver Contest...One Ounce/Week

Post by ajax »

Have you ever considered changing your user name to Gold?

2EstablishZion
captain of 100

Post by 2EstablishZion »

Very generous. I think it would be better if you made the cutoff something like 12:01 a.m. on the Monday before the Friday.
Allowing guesses up until the day before - idk it just puts the cutoff too close to the actual target. Like having a shooting contest from 10 feet away.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

ajax wrote: April 13th, 2017, 8:04 am Have you ever considered changing your user name to Gold?
Absolutely not! Or, I could if the winning prize were less that a gram of that shiny stuff.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

How about "The Price is Right" rule: closest without going over.

I seriously want to try to win with a $1 bid.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Silver wrote: April 13th, 2017, 8:33 am
ajax wrote: April 13th, 2017, 8:04 am Have you ever considered changing your user name to Gold?
Absolutely not! Or, I could if the winning prize were less that a gram of that shiny stuff.
[Insert Obrien's favorite curse word here].

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

2EstablishZion wrote: April 13th, 2017, 8:18 am Very generous. I think it would be better if you made the cutoff something like 12:01 a.m. on the Monday before the Friday.
Allowing guesses up until the day before - idk it just puts the cutoff too close to the actual target. Like having a shooting contest from 10 feet away.
Good point. Upon reflection, I think I will leave the cutoff the same though. The contest is just for fun.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

ajax wrote: April 13th, 2017, 8:36 am How about "The Price is Right" rule: closest without going over.

You watch too much TEEVEE.

2EstablishZion
captain of 100

Post by 2EstablishZion »

Lol, it's your game:) And like I said very generous. I'll be playing but will probably stop if I win one.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Silver wrote: April 13th, 2017, 8:37 am
ajax wrote: April 13th, 2017, 8:36 am How about "The Price is Right" rule: closest without going over.

You watch too much TEEVEE.
Who me?

Mike Teavee.png
Mike Teavee.png (173.43 KiB) Viewed 4386 times

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Did you realize you linked to the gold index?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Meili wrote: April 13th, 2017, 9:26 am Did you realize you linked to the gold index?
Click on it. Go ahead. It won't bite. If you click on it, you will see gold, silver, platinum, etc. prices.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Silver wrote: April 13th, 2017, 9:28 am
Meili wrote: April 13th, 2017, 9:26 am Did you realize you linked to the gold index?
Click on it. Go ahead. It won't bite. If you click on it, you will see gold, silver, platinum, etc. prices.
:) I did. My phone keeps freezing up!

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Meili wrote: April 13th, 2017, 9:31 am
Rest assured it has the silver price we need for the contest. You must have one of those Federal Reserve phones. They're programmed to prevent browsing on sites about real money.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Silver wrote: April 13th, 2017, 7:58 amContest not open to BrianM or his family. LOL. Brian is aware of this contest and has approved.
Great idea, fun contest, other than that one rule ;)

You may need to go ahead and send me some silver first so I can verify that you're serious about this contest :D
Then I can report back and say it's legit and I'm still alive. :-B

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Silver wrote: April 13th, 2017, 9:34 am
Meili wrote: April 13th, 2017, 9:31 am
Rest assured it has the silver price we need for the contest. You must have one of those Federal Reserve phones. They're programmed to prevent browsing on sites about real money.
:)) It's one of those new phones where you can't remove the battery, which I've been assured is not because the NSA is spying on me and wants to prevent me from disabling my phone. :-s

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

If I win and you mail it to my house, do I dare to open the package?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Matchmaker wrote: April 13th, 2017, 2:54 pm If I win and you mail it to my house, do I dare to open the package?
I hope you're kidding. The package will contain one ounce of silver, 99.9% pure, and some air from Texas. Both are liberating elements.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

$13.31

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

BeNotDeceived wrote: April 13th, 2017, 6:28 pm$13.31
Thanks for playing. However, if you read the rules, you can't enter your guess until Monday.

Personally, I hope you're right because the price is now $18.52 and I would love for the price of silver to fall $5 so more of you could beef up your Financial Reserve with something besides Federal Reserve Hiney Wipes.

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

I know someone already mentioned it but by allowing posts up to the day before you'll have a lot more work to do sifting through a week worth of posts to verify who posted what price first etc. Your game, your rules but just a thought.

BTW, thank you for the game. It'll be fun.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote: April 13th, 2017, 8:08 pm I know someone already mentioned it but by allowing posts up to the day before you'll have a lot more work to do sifting through a week worth of posts to verify who posted what price first etc. Your game, your rules but just a thought.

BTW, thank you for the game. It'll be fun.
I may have to hire a scribe then. Anybody want to keep a running tally of all the guesses for me? I'll pay in silver.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Here's an easy solution to how you can more easily keep track of the guesses.. it takes only a few minutes to create a survey/form through Google: https://www.google.com/forms/

Here's my test: https://goo.gl/forms/XNqmWHWJlep3VD0C2

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

BrianM wrote: April 13th, 2017, 8:50 pm Here's an easy solution to how you can more easily keep track of the guesses.. it takes only a few minutes to create a survey/form through Google: https://www.google.com/forms/

Here's my test: https://goo.gl/forms/XNqmWHWJlep3VD0C2
Brian,
Thanks, but way over my head, technologically speaking.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Maybe you should start a new thread only for guesses. You could make a post announcing the start and end of each week but otherwise ask people to only post their guesses there. Put a link to this thread in the OP so people can come here if they have any questions or anything.