Car Needed

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Car Needed

Postby Meili » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:45 pm

I have a friend in need of a car. I am trying to raise enough to cover a running car, the registration, and 6 months worth of insurance. If you can donate money or a car, please let me know. I live in Utah County.

To donate by card: https://www.youcaring.com/woman-in-need-495694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you would like to donate via paypal, you can send it to: rosefromarock@yahoo.com. (Please include a note stating the purpose)

Or you can send a donation to:
1274 North State Street #5
Orem, UT 84057
Last edited by Meili on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm always right.

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

Medical Cost Sharing - It's not insurance it's better!

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10304
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 am
Location: Redmond Oregon

Re: Car Needed

Postby Robert Sinclair » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:18 am

There should be a few charitable groups, like Deseret Industries, that will give you a car if your friend is needy.

That's why many cars are donated each year to help the poor.

The registration and insurance I don't know about, but there should be vehicles availible from these charities.

I am already committed for awhile to helping a family right now in my area, but I hope others with some extra funds can help with the insurance and registration, if you can help obtain a car from one of the charities.♡

Keep posting on how things are going. Thanks.♡
"Seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion."

"With clean hands and a pure heart"

A happier people ever created by the hand of God, no poor among you, of your own freewill. ♡ :)

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:36 am

Thanks, Robert. I've never heard of Deseret Industries giving cars. I'm aware of a few others, but because need is so great, getting a car from them is extremely difficult. That is why I decided to just do it independently.
I'm always right.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10304
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 am
Location: Redmond Oregon

Re: Car Needed

Postby Robert Sinclair » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:41 am

In Southern California, I know D.I. used to give away cars, check with the ones in Utah, with all the members in that state, super wealthy, you would think like in California, there would be some.♡
"Seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion."

"With clean hands and a pure heart"

A happier people ever created by the hand of God, no poor among you, of your own freewill. ♡ :)

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:48 am

Will do, Robert. However, many times the church imposes certain standards on a person which I don't know if my friend could meet. She is not living an LDS lifestyle.
I'm always right.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10304
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 am
Location: Redmond Oregon

Re: Car Needed

Postby Robert Sinclair » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:55 am

That should not matter for the bottom line needs of the poor, I should hope.♡
"Seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion."

"With clean hands and a pure heart"

A happier people ever created by the hand of God, no poor among you, of your own freewill. ♡ :)

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10304
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 am
Location: Redmond Oregon

Re: Car Needed

Postby Robert Sinclair » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:57 am

Please find out, and post the results, I am sure many priesthood leaders, would like to know of these things.♡
"Seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion."

"With clean hands and a pure heart"

A happier people ever created by the hand of God, no poor among you, of your own freewill. ♡ :)

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:22 am

Sure, Robert.
I'm always right.

dewajack
captain of 100
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Car Needed

Postby dewajack » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:04 pm

http://www.carsthatcareutah.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:20 am

Thanks, dewajack. This situation has been ongoing for quite some time. All the official channels have been exhausted on her part. I don't know if any of you have been without a car, but it's very difficult to get one through the various foundations. I can certainly try again myself. However, I would hope that anyone who wants to help won't leave it in the hands of an agency because so far they have failed her.
I'm always right.

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9287
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 am

Re: Car Needed

Postby shadow » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Jezebel wrote:Thanks, Robert. I've never heard of Deseret Industries giving cars. I'm aware of a few others, but because need is so great, getting a car from them is extremely difficult. That is why I decided to just do it independently.
A few yrs ago I tried to give the DI a good running car but they said they didn't accept cars. Could've been that the 20 yr oldish somewhat slow kid didn't want the hassle of taking a car. I don't know??
I haven't had a lot of good experiences giving away cars.
This imminent stuff is taking for-freaking-ever :-w

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:54 pm

I got a response from these guys and they said unless I was her clegyman, she needed to contact them herself.
I'm always right.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10304
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 am
Location: Redmond Oregon

Re: Car Needed

Postby Robert Sinclair » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:00 pm

Let us know, after she contacts them, if they will give her a car, and about what they won't do, as far as insurance and registration how far they will help her directly.

If they will give her a car, see if the Bishop in the ward boundaries can help out of the funds they have, even if she is not a member, for a month or so on these things, and let us know, if yes or no, and what is still needed.

Thanks.♡
"Seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion."

"With clean hands and a pure heart"

A happier people ever created by the hand of God, no poor among you, of your own freewill. ♡ :)

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:23 pm

I checked with DI. They don't help with cars.
I'm always right.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10304
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 am
Location: Redmond Oregon

Re: Car Needed

Postby Robert Sinclair » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:39 pm

Ok good to know. What about carsthatcareutah, will they give her a car if she goes by herself to make the request, and what about the Bishop of the ward who's boundaries she lives within, is there not a church policy, that they may give financial assistance to non-members within their boundaries? See what you can find out and let us know.
Thanks.♡

Still a month or so away before I will have funds not already committed, keep checking, if still nothing by then, I will send you what I can, and possibly others on this forum too.♡
"Seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion."

"With clean hands and a pure heart"

A happier people ever created by the hand of God, no poor among you, of your own freewill. ♡ :)

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10304
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 am
Location: Redmond Oregon

Re: Car Needed

Postby Robert Sinclair » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:29 pm

Checked on another thread about how much the church helps, and the response was the Bishops have the discretion of non-members getting help, within their ward boundaries, can you check where she lives, and see if they can help?

Let us know, thanks.♡
"Seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion."

"With clean hands and a pure heart"

A happier people ever created by the hand of God, no poor among you, of your own freewill. ♡ :)

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:52 pm

She's already exhausted all the resources she has access to. I haven't told her what I'm doing.
I'm always right.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 10304
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 am
Location: Redmond Oregon

Re: Car Needed

Postby Robert Sinclair » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:19 pm

If you follow my questions on the other thread, George Clay answered that a Bishop could help, both you and your friend, within his ward boundaries, if moved by the spirit to so do.

Good to approach this Bishop in sincerity and humility, to see if he can help, for he may, if and perhaps, so moved upon to so do.♡
"Seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion."

"With clean hands and a pure heart"

A happier people ever created by the hand of God, no poor among you, of your own freewill. ♡ :)

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:15 am

Thanks, Robert. :)
I'm always right.

dewajack
captain of 100
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Car Needed

Postby dewajack » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:08 am

A friend of mine got a car through cars that care, which is why I posted their link. If your friend doesn't know what you're doing and you want to keep it that way, and if nobody has a car outright that can be donated, maybe you could set up a "go fund me" account or something similar and we could contribute that way?

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:19 am

dewajack wrote:A friend of mine got a car through cars that care, which is why I posted their link. If your friend doesn't know what you're doing and you want to keep it that way, and if nobody has a car outright that can be donated, maybe you could set up a "go fund me" account or something similar and we could contribute that way?
Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll do that.
I'm always right.

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9287
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 am

Re: Car Needed

Postby shadow » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:40 am

Jezebel wrote:I have a friend in need of a car. I am trying to raise enough to cover a running car, the registration, and 6 months worth of insurance. If you can donate money or a car, please let me know. I live in Utah County.
What's your friends situation?
I ask because I've had bad experiences with most of the half dozen or so cars I've given away to people in need. 2 out of all of them were helpful to the person. After I gave away my sweet 99 suburban (I loved that car ;) ) to a family I knew and who I knew needed it I came away disappointed yet again after they quickly sold it, went on vacation, then bought a van with a high interest loan (their credit sucked). Last year I also gave away a car to a truly needy family who went straight to the bank and took out a loan on it for high book value. Again, bad credit equals high interest. I guess I can pick it up for a good price soon once it's repo'd. That was an 04 Buick I bought from the original owners who were too old to drive anymore. Years ago I gave a car to a struggling young family and the husband quickly sold it and quit his job until the money ran out. Giving cars isn't always the best thing for people who are in need. If your friend can't even pay registration and insurance then maybe a car isn't what she needs. Can she work? Maybe Jared could help her get started with an Amazon company? As for me, I'm pretty much done giving away cars. Cars are expensive to own with gas and maintenance etc. so if they can't spend the few hundred dollars on a cheap car (check out KSL) then they probably can't afford to keep it anyway. Exclusions apply of course, that's why I was wondering about her situation.
This imminent stuff is taking for-freaking-ever :-w

User avatar
Mark
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 6165
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:16 am

Re: Car Needed

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:20 pm

shadow wrote:
Jezebel wrote:I have a friend in need of a car. I am trying to raise enough to cover a running car, the registration, and 6 months worth of insurance. If you can donate money or a car, please let me know. I live in Utah County.
What's your friends situation?
I ask because I've had bad experiences with most of the half dozen or so cars I've given away to people in need. 2 out of all of them were helpful to the person. After I gave away my sweet 99 suburban (I loved that car ;) ) to a family I knew and who I knew needed it I came away disappointed yet again after they quickly sold it, went on vacation, then bought a van with a high interest loan (their credit sucked). Last year I also gave away a car to a truly needy family who went straight to the bank and took out a loan on it for high book value. Again, bad credit equals high interest. I guess I can pick it up for a good price soon once it's repo'd. That was an 04 Buick I bought from the original owners who were too old to drive anymore. Years ago I gave a car to a struggling young family and the husband quickly sold it and quit his job until the money ran out. Giving cars isn't always the best thing for people who are in need. If your friend can't even pay registration and insurance then maybe a car isn't what she needs. Can she work? Maybe Jared could help her get started with an Amazon company? As for me, I'm pretty much done giving away cars. Cars are expensive to own with gas and maintenance etc. so if they can't spend the few hundred dollars on a cheap car (check out KSL) then they probably can't afford to keep it anyway. Exclusions apply of course, that's why I was wondering about her situation.

I need a round trip ticket to the Turks and Caicos islands in the Caribbean. I'm freezing my butt off here in iceville. What do you say big bucks? I know your in the giving mode. Pry that wallet out of your back pocket and make me happy. :ymparty:
You are a true nothing Mark.

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9287
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 am

Re: Car Needed

Postby shadow » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:38 pm

I thought you were in Del Boca Vista Florida where it's always warm-
image.jpg
image.jpg (81.4 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
This imminent stuff is taking for-freaking-ever :-w

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:59 pm

shadow wrote:
Jezebel wrote:I have a friend in need of a car. I am trying to raise enough to cover a running car, the registration, and 6 months worth of insurance. If you can donate money or a car, please let me know. I live in Utah County.
What's your friends situation?
I ask because I've had bad experiences with most of the half dozen or so cars I've given away to people in need. 2 out of all of them were helpful to the person. After I gave away my sweet 99 suburban (I loved that car ;) ) to a family I knew and who I knew needed it I came away disappointed yet again after they quickly sold it, went on vacation, then bought a van with a high interest loan (their credit sucked). Last year I also gave away a car to a truly needy family who went straight to the bank and took out a loan on it for high book value. Again, bad credit equals high interest. I guess I can pick it up for a good price soon once it's repo'd. That was an 04 Buick I bought from the original owners who were too old to drive anymore. Years ago I gave a car to a struggling young family and the husband quickly sold it and quit his job until the money ran out. Giving cars isn't always the best thing for people who are in need. If your friend can't even pay registration and insurance then maybe a car isn't what she needs. Can she work? Maybe Jared could help her get started with an Amazon company? As for me, I'm pretty much done giving away cars. Cars are expensive to own with gas and maintenance etc. so if they can't spend the few hundred dollars on a cheap car (check out KSL) then they probably can't afford to keep it anyway. Exclusions apply of course, that's why I was wondering about her situation.
There's never any guarantee that a person isn't going to take advantage of you or use your gifts in the way you intended. God gives to us freely and expects us to do the same if we want to learn to be like him. You can take your experiences and allow them to harden your heart, making you more cynical and wary, or you can allow them to teach you to let go of others choices, thus becoming more like Father. It sounds like you've chosen to allow yours to harden you.

I can't say that I'm highly motivated to share much about her based on your comments, but since you asked, I will share a little. She is divorced and her kids don't live with her. They live far away with their various guardians. She tries to balance a job, a boyfriend, and her kids. Its lots of driving and lots of time.

I don't know if I mentioned it here yet, but she currently drives a vehicle that is probably not going to pass safety inspection next time, with good reason. She can't afford the repairs and also wants something that will be cheaper on gas. I expect that if I gave her a car, she might be able to afford registration and insurance but I want to make sure she doesn't have that burden unexpectedly pop up. That would stress her out.

The world can and has told her to just pull herself up by her bootlaces and get things in order. If I give her a car, she will probably still have a million other overwhelming problems I can't solve. I don't care. I'm buying her a car if at all possible. I've started saving up. I would just like some help so I can get it to her before 2035.

I'll be creating a you caring account in the next couple of days, by the way, for those if you who are wondering.
I'm always right.

User avatar
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9287
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 am

Re: Car Needed

Postby shadow » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:11 pm

Jezebel wrote: There's never any guarantee that a person isn't going to take advantage of you or use your gifts in the way you intended. God gives to us freely and expects us to do the same if we want to learn to be like him. You can take your experiences and allow them to harden your heart, making you more cynical and wary, or you can allow them to teach you to let go of others choices, thus becoming more like Father. It sounds like you've chosen to allow yours to harden you.
Not hardened at all, I just do things differently, more effectively. I think that's "more like Father". Enabling isn't helping. In fact, enabling others is something I believe one can be held somewhat accountable for. Accusing me of being cynical and hard hearted based on my comments would be a bit short sighted. While I may not give cars away like I used to, I do other things instead. Things that I actually feel better about.

And pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is actually gospel truth. It isn't something to take harshly. God told Adam and Eve that it was by the sweat of their brows that they should eat. How's that for Fatherly?
This imminent stuff is taking for-freaking-ever :-w

User avatar
A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Posts: 6623
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Re: Car Needed

Postby A Random Phrase » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:12 pm

Good grief, shadow! I feel for you. When I was given a car, I was grateful every day I drove it. It got totaled in an accident not long ago, and I mourned the loss of a good friend.
shadow wrote:I ask because I've had bad experiences with most of the half dozen or so cars I've given away to people in need. 2 out of all of them were helpful to the person. After I gave away my sweet 99 suburban (I loved that car ;) ) to a family I knew and who I knew needed it I came away disappointed yet again after they quickly sold it, went on vacation, then bought a van with a high interest loan (their credit sucked). Last year I also gave away a car to a truly needy family who went straight to the bank and took out a loan on it for high book value. Again, bad credit equals high interest. I guess I can pick it up for a good price soon once it's repo'd. That was an 04 Buick I bought from the original owners who were too old to drive anymore. Years ago I gave a car to a struggling young family and the husband quickly sold it and quit his job until the money ran out. Giving cars isn't always the best thing for people who are in need. If your friend can't even pay registration and insurance then maybe a car isn't what she needs. Can she work? Maybe Jared could help her get started with an Amazon company? As for me, I'm pretty much done giving away cars. Cars are expensive to own with gas and maintenance etc. so if they can't spend the few hundred dollars on a cheap car (check out KSL) then they probably can't afford to keep it anyway. Exclusions apply of course, that's why I was wondering about her situation.
- - Toni


Lord, I believe. Help thou mine unbelief.

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:13 pm

shadow wrote:
Jezebel wrote: There's never any guarantee that a person isn't going to take advantage of you or use your gifts in the way you intended. God gives to us freely and expects us to do the same if we want to learn to be like him. You can take your experiences and allow them to harden your heart, making you more cynical and wary, or you can allow them to teach you to let go of others choices, thus becoming more like Father. It sounds like you've chosen to allow yours to harden you.
Not hardened at all, I just do things differently, more effectively. I think that's "more like Father". Enabling isn't helping. In fact, enabling others is something I believe one can be held somewhat accountable for. Accusing me of being cynical and hard hearted based on my comments would be a bit short sighted. While I may not give cars away like I used to, I do other things instead. Things that I actually feel better about.

And pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is actually gospel truth. It isn't something to take harshly. God told Adam and Eve that it was by the sweat of their brows that they should eat. How's that for Fatherly?
Just making an observation, not accusation. What the condition of your heart is is between you and God.

However, I do not believe that we will be held accountable for enabling in the way you believe. Father gives breath to all of us, even those who commit the most atrocious sins, murderers, rapists, child molesters. The man committing torturous acts of sexual abuse on an innocent child is being given the power to do so by God. As I said, if we are to be like him, we must give freely as he does, even if people take our gifts and use them for ill as many do with God's gifts.

I am not saying that pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is wrong. However, it is wrong to insist others do so and use that as an excuse not to give. It is specifically condemned in the Book of Mormon to say that the beggar has brought his troubles upon himself. I would say that is basically what you are doing if you think someone can and should pull themselves up by their bootstraps with no help from you.
I'm always right.

User avatar
Jason
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 16489
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Jason » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:26 pm

Jezebel wrote:
shadow wrote:
Jezebel wrote: There's never any guarantee that a person isn't going to take advantage of you or use your gifts in the way you intended. God gives to us freely and expects us to do the same if we want to learn to be like him. You can take your experiences and allow them to harden your heart, making you more cynical and wary, or you can allow them to teach you to let go of others choices, thus becoming more like Father. It sounds like you've chosen to allow yours to harden you.
Not hardened at all, I just do things differently, more effectively. I think that's "more like Father". Enabling isn't helping. In fact, enabling others is something I believe one can be held somewhat accountable for. Accusing me of being cynical and hard hearted based on my comments would be a bit short sighted. While I may not give cars away like I used to, I do other things instead. Things that I actually feel better about.

And pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is actually gospel truth. It isn't something to take harshly. God told Adam and Eve that it was by the sweat of their brows that they should eat. How's that for Fatherly?
Just making an observation, not accusation. What the condition of your heart is is between you and God.

However, I do not believe that we will be held accountable for enabling in the way you believe. Father gives breath to all of us, even those who commit the most atrocious sins, murderers, rapists, child molesters. The man committing torturous acts of sexual abuse on an innocent child is being given the power to do so by God. As I said, if we are to be like him, we must give freely as he does, even if people take our gifts and use them for ill as many do with God's gifts.

I am not saying that pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is wrong. However, it is wrong to insist others do so and use that as an excuse not to give. It is specifically condemned in the Book of Mormon to say that the beggar has brought his troubles upon himself. I would say that is basically what you are doing if you think someone can and should pull themselves up by their bootstraps with no help from you.
Its after all they can do....and from many personal experiences there's folks out there that make a living out of handouts. The ones that show up every time a new bishop is called to see how much they can get out of him before he gets savvy. Always a sob story. Never a result of their decisions.

The trick is to teach fishing rather than always providing fish. And the challenge is getting folks to fish rather than begging for fish. Church welfare system is designed to get folks fishing while keeping them fed in the process. One we would do well to pattern our efforts after.

The gospel is all about freedom and independence...living on handouts is not freedom and independence (in whatever form that might be).
Teuful Hunden - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!!

User avatar
Meili
Don't ask . . .
Posts: 6109
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am
Contact:

Re: Car Needed

Postby Meili » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:01 pm

Jason wrote:
Jezebel wrote:
shadow wrote:
Jezebel wrote: There's never any guarantee that a person isn't going to take advantage of you or use your gifts in the way you intended. God gives to us freely and expects us to do the same if we want to learn to be like him. You can take your experiences and allow them to harden your heart, making you more cynical and wary, or you can allow them to teach you to let go of others choices, thus becoming more like Father. It sounds like you've chosen to allow yours to harden you.
Not hardened at all, I just do things differently, more effectively. I think that's "more like Father". Enabling isn't helping. In fact, enabling others is something I believe one can be held somewhat accountable for. Accusing me of being cynical and hard hearted based on my comments would be a bit short sighted. While I may not give cars away like I used to, I do other things instead. Things that I actually feel better about.

And pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is actually gospel truth. It isn't something to take harshly. God told Adam and Eve that it was by the sweat of their brows that they should eat. How's that for Fatherly?
Just making an observation, not accusation. What the condition of your heart is is between you and God.

However, I do not believe that we will be held accountable for enabling in the way you believe. Father gives breath to all of us, even those who commit the most atrocious sins, murderers, rapists, child molesters. The man committing torturous acts of sexual abuse on an innocent child is being given the power to do so by God. As I said, if we are to be like him, we must give freely as he does, even if people take our gifts and use them for ill as many do with God's gifts.

I am not saying that pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is wrong. However, it is wrong to insist others do so and use that as an excuse not to give. It is specifically condemned in the Book of Mormon to say that the beggar has brought his troubles upon himself. I would say that is basically what you are doing if you think someone can and should pull themselves up by their bootstraps with no help from you.
Its after all they can do....and from many personal experiences there's folks out there that make a living out of handouts. The ones that show up every time a new bishop is called to see how much they can get out of him before he gets savvy. Always a sob story. Never a result of their decisions.

The trick is to teach fishing rather than always providing fish. And the challenge is getting folks to fish rather than begging for fish. Church welfare system is designed to get folks fishing while keeping them fed in the process. One we would do well to pattern our efforts after.

The gospel is all about freedom and independence...living on handouts is not freedom and independence (in whatever form that might be).
Thanks. I'll inform King Benjamin. He must have left that part out of his speech by mistake.
I'm always right.


Return to “The Exchange”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests