Consider moving to Albany Missouri?

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Consider moving to Albany Missouri?

Post by BroJones »

We live now in Albany, Mo, with four of our children and four of our grand-kids!
25 miles from Adam-ondi-Ahman, straight line, 36 miles by car. We like it here.

My b-i-l looked at this house: http://www.shomemorerealestate.com/Real ... lumn=58172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now that is one beautiful mansion! see photos. Note the detached garage/workshop.
Asking $129,900 but he offered $110K and they accepted! then he backed out (didn't work out for him and his wife). So $110K for that mansion!

Here's another we've looked at, price down by nearly half what they were asking: http://www.shomemorerealestate.com/Real ... lumn=59356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asking just $20,000! offer them $18,000. Its surely worth it IMHO.

We need more active priesthood holders in the Albany branch, to be honest. And its a fun place to live!
Amish all around with their awesome bakeries and furniture - and jams. Missionary field.
You can drive your ATV on the streets in town.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Consider moving to Albany Missouri?

Post by BroJones »

3 bedroom 2 bath, garage, central air and furnace, full basement, price reduced to $32,900

http://www.shomemorerealestate.com/Real ... lumn=59999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More choices for you and your family: http://www.shomemorerealestate.com/Real ... ings.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't believe the price reductions lately!

embryopocket
captain of 100

Post by embryopocket »

When I graduate in 3 years, it will definitely be an option for us. :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for your interest.

g_luv_style
captain of 50

Post by g_luv_style »

It is funny you mention the Amish Dr. Jones. I live in Central Ohio and there is an Amish community that I grew up near here that is accepting the gospel. They have retained their lifestyle and are reaching out to their fellow Amish and spreading the gospel in their community. The conversion rate has been so successful that they are going to be getting their own branch soon. I imagine the spirit is able to work with these humble people because their life is free from the distractions of the modern world. Almost makes we want to move back towards home and join them in their way of life.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Love the Amish. Love the way stuff just grows on its own. Hate the ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, fleas, humidity, and tornadoes AND Missouri food.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

Im sure it would be great to live there, what about jobs?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Steve, What about the problems you had with foundations. Was that caused by the soil in the area ?

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Yes, I've become friends with the Amish, quite a few. Stories on that later perhaps.
Thanks for sharing about the Amish in Ohio. Hope that happens here! Had a good discussion with the Amish who put in new gutters for us.

Got one tick in the past 8 months, out in the country, came right out with a special little "puller" they sell here. Bugs in town, not so bad IMHO.
Sweet&Noble wrote:Steve, What about the problems you had with foundations. Was that caused by the soil in the area ?
That was this particular house, which evidently sat VACANT for some time before the Pruitts got it. Foundation neglected, although they fixed up inside upstairs. Bad spots in the guttering, so water POURED down on spots, for years evidently, and there the foundation finally went bad.

We spent about $9K to get the foundation replaced for about 30 feet of it, but this fine old Victorian only cost us $69,500. We knew it needed work, but it was a bit more than we anticipated. Fixed now. Cleaned out the basement mostly also. Hey, its nice down there now!
We like the brick look. Note that there are brick-wall rooms in the basement, so that is basically an interior foundation. So the house had not settled much at all despite the exterior-foundation problems.

I can spot foundation problems for you now... :) so you can avoid these. And keep the gutters clean and in good repair, should then be OK for a long time.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Melissa wrote:Im sure it would be great to live there, what about jobs?
Depends. Big demand for plumbing, home construction /repairs around I've heard. Johnson controls in town. Restaurants do well -- the Poppas LDS own one and do a booming business. Hospital. Two nursing homes. Schools for the wider area. Colleges in Maryville (40 minutes), St Joseph (about 55 minutes away) has job opportunities. Hardware store, grocery, dollar general, ShopKo, antique shops in town. Car repair is big. Car sales - some.

Our daughter worked at Casey's, now at a nursing home and loves that (most of the time).

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Do they have a computer repair store yet? I wonder if I could do open a shop there?

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

DrJones wrote:
Melissa wrote:Im sure it would be great to live there, what about jobs?
Depends. Big demand for plumbing, home construction /repairs around I've heard. Johnson controls in town. Restaurants do well -- the Poppas LDS own one and do a booming business. Hospital. Two nursing homes. Schools for the wider area. Colleges in Maryville (40 minutes), St Joseph (about 55 minutes away) has job opportunities. Hardware store, grocery, dollar general, ShopKo, antique shops in town. Car repair is big. Car sales - some.

Our daughter worked at Casey's, now at a nursing home and loves that (most of the time).
Thanks for the detailed reply. :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

You're welcome, Melissa.

Hi, Mes.
I recall seeing an ad for computer repair around here. Perhaps check out the Albany Ledger newspaper, if they have ads on-line.

Another thing I like around here is the AUCTIONS. Brother Messner is an auctioneer -- and its fun. I overdid a bit on the last one though... Got a weed-eater for about $3, a whole bunch of audio tapes for about a dollar, exerciser for 2 bucks IIRC... a ladder, lawnmower, etc...

Sometimes houses come up for auction, too... a guy can get real bargains that way.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

DrJones wrote: Hi, Mes.
I recall seeing an ad for computer repair around here. Perhaps check out the Albany Ledger newspaper, if they have ads on-line.

I looked at the Ledger. I appears I would have to pay for an e-subscription to see the ads. That doesn't make since to me.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

BringerOfJoy wrote:Love the Amish. Love the way stuff just grows on its own. Hate the ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, fleas, humidity, and tornadoes AND Missouri food.
Second!
And the cold winters and hot and humid summers. And some of the people are... interesting.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

JohnnyL wrote:And the cold winters and hot and humid summers. And some of the people are... interesting.
Those interesting people really grow on you though. That area in general really grew on me.

Brother Jones: Hows the branch there in Albany? Whose the president? Are the Johnsons still around?