Considering moving to Utah

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
Etana
captain of 10

Re: Considering moving to Utah

Post by Etana »

I would not recommend Sanpete County. This is just my own experience, so please don't judge it-I moved from Seattle to Sanpete County. Lived there for for 11 years and found it very unfriendly to outsiders. My kids absolutely hated it there, as they were treated differently. We were called "imports" and "move-ins" the whole time from the pulpit and in the community; when I brought it up to the bishopric telling them it was divisive, they laughed in my face. The ward members talked behind my back saying I was a survivalist (ha-like that's a bad thing), a swinger, and did voodoo. So what if I am a survivalist, but the other rumors were untrue. After putting up with their un-Christian like behavior while praying for their hearts to be softened, we finally decided to sell our land/house we had built for the end of times and rolled out...

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Etana wrote:I would not recommend Sanpete County. This is just my own experience, so please don't judge it-I moved from Seattle to Sanpete County. Lived there for for 11 years and found it very unfriendly to outsiders. My kids absolutely hated it there, as they were treated differently. We were called "imports" and "move-ins" the whole time from the pulpit and in the community; when I brought it up to the bishopric telling them it was divisive, they laughed in my face. The ward members talked behind my back saying I was a survivalist (ha-like that's a bad thing), a swinger, and did voodoo. So what if I am a survivalist, but the other rumors were untrue. After putting up with their un-Christian like behavior while praying for their hearts to be softened, we finally decided to sell our land/house we had built for the end of times and rolled out...
While my experience is very different from yours, Etana, I appreciate your posting your observations.
Now -- what town were you in, please? and when? I have heard that MANTI (for example) is much different from Spring City, where the elected mayor is Dr Jack Monnette, a truther and survivalist in the best sense of the words!

I should emphasize/clarify that not all Sanpete towns are the same. Far from it. Indeed, of the three wards covering Spring City, I would recommend one the highest (the one with Mayor Monette in it!) These things can make a big difference.

Also, where did you decide to go instead?! thanks, got me curious.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

Strawberry wrote:Hi Everyone,
This isn't a physical exchange. We have been prayerfully considering moving to Utah. We are just tired of communist Oregon and ready for a big change. We are thinking Octoberish. Just have a few more things to get in order before we go. Job wise, we can live anywhere.

We have lots of friends and family there in the valley. We don't want to live there. We are looking for something a little more remote and off the beaten path. We'd like it to be somewhere that is not terribly prone to earthquakes and natural disasters, somewhere where it will be relatively safe to be should society collapse. Something like what Skousen suggests in his Strategic Relocation book, which we don't have :(

We've looked at Eagle Mountain, Price, Cedar City. I think St. George would be way too hot for us. We also are not fond of the cold. Where we live now is very beautiful and has a temperate climate.

Any thoughts or personal experience would be very much appreciated.

Strawberry
Our family moved from Oregon, Salem, Keizer, Newberg areas to Utah around 2000. We are North of SLC and have enjoyed the area...4 seasons and all. I have enjoyed everywhere I have lived and find there is a good perspective to be had if that is your nature. Best of luck in your search.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Vernal

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

My thought is move someplace where you can be more of a leaven . Utah doesn't need you. Lots of places do. You could be an enormous influence for good someplace where you don't stumble across all you ward members in the grocery store each week Try someplace like Prescott Az which is still rural in the surrounding countryside and politically conservative but not like Nazi Ut.In addition the weather is perfect and the populace generally welcoming to outsiders. The town is large enough to supply employment opportunities but still has a small town feel. Incidentally one of the most geologically and meteorologically stable places in the entire US.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

If you are going to spend the money to relocate, Joel's book is well worth the price. He addresses many issues that are not being considered in this thread.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

My thought is let the Lord guide you. He has a far better perception of who needs you and who doesn't and perhaps who you need and who you don't.

My family's coming to Utah fulfilled both sides of that equation and it was the choice of the Lord that brought us here.

Sonofthunder
captain of 10

Post by Sonofthunder »

Awe Shucks, I am planning on moving my family and our Daughter's family to the Utah area by the early Fall as well. We will be moving from the Southeast US and have lived in the Rockies before. If anyone knows of a small farmette that is priced well let me know. Btw, stupid me forgot to introduce myself.
Just call me Thunder
I have a family of 7 with my first Grand baby due this August.
Attended BYU-I when it was Ricks and have spent my adult life in Law Enforcement
I am Native American/European only a small fraction of my blood is European
Raised on a Farm in the South
Speak Southernease fluently as well as yankee and Western :))
Avid hunter and fisher love the outdoors (as one might expect)
I am not the stereotypical Native however, Convert to the Church from 88 Married and Sealed for Time and ALL Eternity
Military Vet-just a cook-mechanic

Sonofthunder
captain of 10

Post by Sonofthunder »

brlenox wrote:My thought is let the Lord guide you. He has a far better perception of who needs you and who doesn't and perhaps who you need and who you don't.

My family's coming to Utah fulfilled both sides of that equation and it was the choice of the Lord that brought us here.
Wise counsel indeed. My Darling and I have known since before we married that "Our Place" is out there somewhere and we have resisted Utah for 25 years. Simply because of a few bad apples who have moved in to our barrel/Ward over the years. But, about 5 years ago our former Bishop from Idaho and I were emailing and he told me that he and his wonderful wife had moved down there to be closer to their Grandchildren and Children. He was born and raised in Idaho and aside from traveling with his job and mission, he had never lived outside that state. They however, have fallen in Love with the Valley there. That got us to thinking.....Since then we have made several friends from various parts of the State and we have gotten a lot of positive AND negatives which is to be expected for any place on the planet. So, I am feeling really drawn there and have been for the last couple years now. When we see the "Right Place" we will be out of here like a hot flash.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I would love to find some decent land in Utah (Lehi, Saratoga Springs area) with trees and water to build and "homestead" a little, nothing really big... Any good websites for that?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

ksl.com

If you look under the "Homes" section you can find properties with houses on them. But if you go to the "Classifieds" section and then look under the subheading "Other Real Estate" you can also find a section for "Land/Lots for Sale."

By the way, the Saratoga Springs/Lehi area tends to be expensive. There is cheaper land available more to the East or South of Salt Lake/Utah county. If you aren't trying to stay close to the valleys, that might be a better option.

Sonofthunder
captain of 10

Post by Sonofthunder »

Thanks for the link, I just popped the link and found a lot of things that are within my reach now. Looks like we might have found just the ticket.

utahmomma
captain of 10

Post by utahmomma »

Our family was looking to move out of Cache valley to the south slc area about a year ago, but we couldn't find a house we felt good about. We prayed and we both were told that our house would be protected in what's coming and not to move. Definitely pray about where is right for you.
Last edited by utahmomma on May 27th, 2014, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAM
captain of 100

Post by SAM »

We're considering a move to Utah right now. In fact, my husband just arrived there a couple of hours ago to check out a job. I grew up in SLC, right by the U of U and loved it. My husband is from Idaho and has never wanted to live in Utah (except for to attend BYU). We've now been in Southern AZ for over 5 years and, while we have had a great experience here, we've never felt this this is our permanent home. We also actually miss having all 4 seasons. I guess we get bored easily.

My husband's current offer is in Layton and would give us the opportunity to live up in Weber Canyon - somewhere in the Mountain Green or Morgan area. I have a lot of family in Morgan and I have always loved it there. It's a short drive to the valley, but you escape the bad air and it's a lot more rural. Anyway, it's a touch choice. There are definitely pros and cons to living in Utah and so far the Lord hasn't given us a definite yes or no. However, we have to make our decision by Wednesday so wish us luck. And best of luck to all others who are considering such a move.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

As a scientist who has looked at the Wasatch Earthquake Fault Zone and its dangers, I warn against moving along the Wasatch front.

If you can, stay away from the EQ zone, where prices tend to be higher right now also... Or, you can strengthen your home against EQ damage, as the church did for the Tabernacle and other SLC buildings, setting an example.

Sonofthunder
captain of 10

Post by Sonofthunder »

coachmarc wrote:I live in Brigham City and love it. If I die in an earthquake, then that's the way it is.
What does the job market for Firefighters look like out there?

BrentL
captain of 100

Post by BrentL »

Sonofthunder wrote:
coachmarc wrote:I live in Brigham City and love it. If I die in an earthquake, then that's the way it is.
its burning hot, but act quick this could go up in smoke!

therockpile
captain of 50

Post by therockpile »

Is Eagle Mountain just south of that new NSA data center? Ive always said that I would avoid UT unless overridden by Father. ID is much more free from a political perspective.

Sonofthunder
captain of 10

Post by Sonofthunder »

:))
BrentL wrote:
Sonofthunder wrote:
its burning hot, but act quick this could go up in smoke!
:))

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

So I've got this idea in my head that most anything below Payson and most parts east of I-15 are very rural. Like, probably have to drive for hours (and to where?) just to buy decent supplies. Snow on the roads much of the winter (are 132, 116, etc. snow-free/ driveable during the winter? the smaller roads?). Pretty much desert and little green outside of some grassy yards in town.

Any Utah scenery websites or such that can open my mind to what it's really like (unless that's what it's really like)?

Is there any type of "culture" life beyond the Logan-Payson stretch that's easier to travel (and the Cedar City, St. George areas)?