Not for sale - signed numbered manuscript "The Politician"

Do you have something to sell/giveaway? A Business you want to let us know about? Found any good deals? Post them here.
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Not for sale - signed numbered manuscript "The Politician"

Post by Original_Intent »

I didn't know where else to post this - I am not offering it for sale, but I picked up a signed, numbered manuscript of "The Politician" and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how many of these were sent out, and if it has any $$$ value. I googled and didn't find much.

The front of the manuscript has a mimeographed page glued in saying that it is not meant for publication and is only being distributed to friends of Mr. Welch. The first page is further elaborating on this and saying the proofs provided are not what he would put in a published book, but should be sufficient for his friends; there is a line that says this is manuscript ____ with what appears to be "Pc 3" handwritten in the blank - the next page ends the "explanatory note" and is signed by Mr. Welch.

It appears to be from the late fifties, and did not know if I might have a collector's item or not.

moonwhim
captain of 1,000

Re: Not for sale - signed numbered manuscript "The Politici

Post by moonwhim »

Original_Intent wrote:I didn't know where else to post this - I am not offering it for sale, but I picked up a signed, numbered manuscript of "The Politician" and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how many of these were sent out, and if it has any $$$ value. I googled and didn't find much.

The front of the manuscript has a mimeographed page glued in saying that it is not meant for publication and is only being distributed to friends of Mr. Welch. The first page is further elaborating on this and saying the proofs provided are not what he would put in a published book, but should be sufficient for his friends; there is a line that says this is manuscript ____ with what appears to be "Pc 3" handwritten in the blank - the next page ends the "explanatory note" and is signed by Mr. Welch.

It appears to be from the late fifties, and did not know if I might have a collector's item or not.
I remember hearing about this manuscript that was distributed before Mr Welch set up the John Birch Society. What a great find! To the right person this would be quite a collectors item. You might want to make copies of the original before you sell it....you could even sell the copies for less.

moonwhim
captain of 1,000

Post by moonwhim »

moonwhim wrote:
Original_Intent wrote:I didn't know where else to post this - I am not offering it for sale, but I picked up a signed, numbered manuscript of "The Politician" and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how many of these were sent out, and if it has any $$$ value. I googled and didn't find much.

I remember hearing about this manuscript that was distributed before Mr Welch set up the John Birch Society. What a great find! To the right person this would be quite a collectors item. You might want to make copies of the original before you sell it....you could even sell the copies for less.
You might want to contact the JBS to see if there is any interest there.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

I obtained a very early extremely clean copy for $5 which included shipping costs a couple of years ago......the "right" person is an understatement!!!

moonwhim
captain of 1,000

Post by moonwhim »

Jason wrote:I obtained a very early extremely clean copy for $5 which included shipping costs a couple of years ago......the "right" person is an understatement!!!
That's too bad, it is a very significant document.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

moonwhim wrote:
Jason wrote:I obtained a very early extremely clean copy for $5 which included shipping costs a couple of years ago......the "right" person is an understatement!!!
That's too bad, it is a very significant document.
Oh I agree....extremely grateful for my copy....and the price was perfect at the time (unemployed). But the reality is the world doesn't put significant value on it....

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Jason, I am just curious - what does yours have written on the blank where the number was? I could not figure out if "Pc 3" was some kind of code, or if it meant "piece 3" i.e. 3rd copy, or if there was some other meaning.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Original_Intent wrote:Jason, I am just curious - what does yours have written on the blank where the number was? I could not figure out if "Pc 3" was some kind of code, or if it meant "piece 3" i.e. 3rd copy, or if there was some other meaning.
I don't know....I'll have to look at it tonight when I get home. Mine is a plastic spiral bound copy.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Jason wrote:
Original_Intent wrote:Jason, I am just curious - what does yours have written on the blank where the number was? I could not figure out if "Pc 3" was some kind of code, or if it meant "piece 3" i.e. 3rd copy, or if there was some other meaning.
I don't know....I'll have to look at it tonight when I get home. Mine is a plastic spiral bound copy.
I think they must be the same - plain black cover with no text, and plastic spiral bound - mimeographed message glued into the front and back cover (the old copies that had blue colored text) I am just curious how many of these are floating around. I'm not interested in losing mine unless there was some real collector value...the fact that we both have a copy leads me to believe that it is not very rare. ;)