Is it wrong to vote 3rd Party?

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
Andrew52
captain of 100

Post by Andrew52 »

http://www.epm.org/blog/2012/Oct/25/ele ... 012-part-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oct. 25, 2012
Election 2012 Part 5: Is it Wrong to Vote for the Lesser of Evils? Shouldn’t We Instead Vote for a Third Party Candidate?
By Randy Alcorn

I’ve received many comments from those who believe that we should vote for a third party candidate. Why? Because voting between President Obama and Governor Romney involves choosing between the lesser of two evils, which means choosing evil, something no Christian should do.

First, let me say that I appreciate the vigorous exchange in the blog comments and take no offense at those who disagree with me. I appreciate it when Christians can make their arguments without painting those who disagree as stupid, less spiritual, or lacking an eternal perspective. I was very encouraged to see some asking each other’s forgiveness for what they said. Godly people land on different sides of this issue, but still love the same Jesus.

To begin with, I think there are radically different understandings of what a vote is. In this presidential election, what does your vote mean to you? Is it:

1) The expression of your highest hopes and ideals

2) An affirmation of doctrinal agreement

3) A statement to the world about your Christian convictions

4) An unqualified endorsement of a candidate’s character and wisdom

5) A means of protest against the established parties that have both failed miserably

6) A choice of the better of the only two viable candidates who remain, both of them very flawed, and one of whom will be president

Your answer to this question will largely determine your voting choices. Do you view voting like choosing a marriage partner? (Be extremely choosy.) Or like choosing a school or job? (Choose wisely, but know you can change schools or jobs.) Or like choosing a seat on the bus? (The best seats are already taken, but you choose the best alternative that’s left.)

What will you do in this election? Here are some options:

1) Abstain from voting because you are so disillusioned, and/or your citizenship is in Heaven, not earth.

2) Vote for a candidate you know has no chance of winning, but you’ll sleep better knowing you didn’t vote for the lesser of evils.

3) Vote for whichever one of the two electable candidates you believe will do the most good for the most people and inflict the least amount of harm; who will most uphold and least undermine our moral base and liberties.

Years ago, dissatisfied with the Republican and Democratic candidates, in two elections I wrote in Alan Keyes. Once I voted for Howard Philips. So I understand that perspective.

When voting within a party, I’ve chosen my closest-to-ideal candidate in the primaries. I don’t care whether anyone thinks he’s electable. But in the general election, things have shaken out and it usually comes down to only two candidates who can win. In recent years, I’ve voted for the one I think would do better than the other, despite my serious reservations about both.

So I’ve done it different ways at different times, always following my conscience and asking the Lord’s leading. I think what pushes me away from the third party options in this election is the stark nature of a few of the issues. Yes, there is abortion and the Mexico City Policy and the Supreme Court nominations. And there is the changing definition of marriage. (See Does the Fight for Marriage Really Matter?).

But what sticks out to me most is the urgency created by the dramatic erosion of religious liberties. I seriously wonder if the continued dismantling of our religious freedoms for another four years might permanently strip us of the very rights we will need if we are to influence our country’s direction—including through third party politics, pastors still being able to pass out voter’s guides, etc. This is one of the main reasons I’m determined to make my vote count this time.

Probably a dozen commenters wrote, “Voting for the lesser of two evils is still evil.”

I understand the logic. I’ve used it. But there is another way to look at it: To vote for the lesser of evils is to vote for less evil.

Think about it. Don’t we want less evil? Doesn’t less evil mean more good? I’m voting for the greater good my children and grandchildren and this country will experience than if the only other viable choice were elected. (Please don’t write saying others were far better candidates and Christians should have supported them. The only point I’m making is, regardless of the reasons, none of them will win the election.)

Yes, I don’t like either candidate. But, for instance, let’s say I believe only one single claim Governor Romney has made. A few blog posters have claimed everything Romney has ever said is a lie, which is quite a trick if you think about it, but I’m 99.9% sure this one is true: If elected, he will reinstate the Mexico City Policy, so that American taxes no longer pay for abortions overseas. If he failed to follow through on appointing prolife justices, and everything else, that one single thing is compelling, isn’t it? What makes me think he would keep that promise? Because every Republican since Ronald Reagan has implemented it, and every Democrat has rescinded it. Even if you believe Romney cares about nothing but trying to make himself look good (as one person commented), he would look very bad to break his promise to reinstate the Mexico City Policy. Does it matter to you that your taxes are paying for abortions around the world? It matters to me.

So this is one clear demonstration of how a vote for “the lesser of evils” is a vote for less evil. By voting for the third party, and not voting for the only person who can and will reinstate the Mexico City Policy, isn’t the voter in effect making more likely the greater of evils?

If there are two men and I’m choosing between them, unless their degree of good and evil is exactly the same, and their commitment to religious liberty, human rights, morality, sanctity of marriage and financial responsibility is identical, then righteousness is at stake in my vote.

“But by definition, the lesser of evils is still evil.” Yes, and also by definition, the lesser of evils is less evil.

We all know that the ideal is no evil. If we lived in Eden or on the New Earth, as all who know Christ one day will, there would be no evil. But that’s not where we live. And no party, candidate or vote will get rid of all evil. The best we can do is vote for less evil and more justice than the other electable candidate offers.

“But that’s just thinking pragmatically.” Or is it simply thinking logically, and trying to make a positive difference with the only power now left to me? Is voting my individualized expression of ideals? Or is it bringing my ideals to bear on the messy choice between two very flawed alternatives?

One woman commented on a previous blog: “I am going to cast my vote for Jesus Christ.” It’s a nice gesture, but I think Jesus wants us to use our vote in a way that matters. Jesus is not running for president. He already sits on a throne. A year ago there were more than two electable people, but now that there are two, shouldn’t we try to choose the one likely to do the most good and the least evil?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Re: Is it wrong to vote 3rd Party?

Post by SmallFarm »

I'll vote for whoever is qualified ;) If that person is on the Republican party I'll vote for them. Same with the Democrat party or even green party. What is my qualification? They must show, by their actions, not their words, that they will uphold the constitution.
Show me a candidate who'll qualify and I'll vote for them, all this other political scheming is so much hot air. :p

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

No.

AlbertaBronco
captain of 100

Post by AlbertaBronco »

It is not wrong ... just a waste! You will vote for a 3rd party and that candidate will lose. When your candidate loses you will be left wondering ... What was the point? Try strategic voting ... st least then it will serve a purpose.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

You folk need to adopt the Australian voting system where you rate the candidates 1,2,3...down the ballot.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

AlbertaBronco wrote:It is not wrong ... just a waste! You will vote for a 3rd party and that candidate will lose. When your candidate loses you will be left wondering ... What was the point? Try strategic voting ... st least then it will serve a purpose.
Okay I'll vote for Obama :p

AlbertaBronco
captain of 100

Post by AlbertaBronco »

SmallFarm wrote:
AlbertaBronco wrote:It is not wrong ... just a waste! You will vote for a 3rd party and that candidate will lose. When your candidate loses you will be left wondering ... What was the point? Try strategic voting ... st least then it will serve a purpose.
Okay I'll vote for Obama :p
What ever floats your boat. Here in Canada we are use to the concept of strategic voting ... if we really wanted to vote for the best candidate, you may not like the leader you chose! It is a really dumb system up here, but down there at least you have the ability to vote for the leader separately from the house of representative or the senator. Look it up and you will see how much more freedom your system allows you!

Andrew52
captain of 100

Post by Andrew52 »

good point AlbertaBronco.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

no...or even a 4th party

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Strategic voting is not sanctioned by the Lord. It's the opposite of what He commanded. But now you know! And knowing is half the battle.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/a-pla ... ir-houses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

britjas
captain of 100

Post by britjas »

The only comment I disagree with is believing the lesser of two evils will bring us more freedom. It reminds me of when one has one foot in Babylon and one foot in the Church. If one wants to be around when Christ comes and be on the right side, one shouldn't have one foot in Babylon and expect to be counted. 46% of the people according to Rassmussen believe they are voting for the lesser of two evils. I just can't stomach that! God won't spare any that remain in Babylon.

I like the George Mason quote ktg.

britjas
captain of 100

Post by britjas »

I like the quote from the website ktg mentioned. "Voting for a third party candidate shows that the GOP or Democratic parties must reform in that direction if they are to survive at all."