Latinos and the Immigration Question

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
samizdat
captain of 1,000

Re: Latinos and the Immigration Question

Post by samizdat »

embryopocket wrote:Justice vs. Mercy, which do we decide? For those that have lived in Latinoamerican countries, you know how bad things can be down there (economic situation, violence, culture, etc.). Lots of the people that try to enter this country illegally are normal men and women that want work so that they can send money home to their starving children. But, we know that the house of the Lord is a house of order and that as members we must uphold the laws of the land. But are the laws that are in place good? Here is my personal opinion:

There are big flaws with the immigration laws of this country. I believe that there should be a process by which potential immigrants are "checked into" the country, but as of now it is too difficult. My wife is from Panama and we went through the process of getting her into this country legally (so that we could get married here :) ). It took several months and drained my bank account. Application for a K-1 Visa was almost $500 then once we were married we started the paperwork for her permanent residence which was $1070 and we are still in that process. It has been almost 8 months and nothing yet... I can see why people decide to come here illegally haha! I am a poor college student/employee working to provide for my new family and those expenses + time for interviews/filling out documents has stressed me out a little. I believe that there are solutions to this problem and that they can be found. For example, look at the Dream Act. This piece of legislature, in my opinion, is great and opens lots of doors to young latinos here in our country. This whole situation almost makes me want to switch majors to Political Science or something....almost. :)
I can totally back up your statement. Liberty Agent's statement is openly racist and has no place in LDS dialogue. I am an American married to a Mexican, and I am very familiar with the broken system that is US immigration. Even Mexico's immigration laws are MUCH easier to navigate than American ones, for that reason I live in Mexico.