Page 2 of 3

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:15 pm
by lundbaek
He accused a former Prophet and President of the Church of leading members down the wrong path.

"In remarks to the media following his address, Reid said that, "In the past years we've had some very prominent members of the church, like Ezra Taft Benson, who are really right-wing people.
"Members of the church are obedient and followers in the true sense of the word, but these people have taken members of the church down the path that is the wrong path," he said. "
(From the 10//10 07 Salt Lake Trib.)

I do not consider this deserving of excommunication, nor really worth a trip to the "wood shed. However, if he were called to a Church leadership position that affected me I would oppose the calling.' Same goes for certain other LDS politicians.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:00 am
by sonofliberty
lundbaek wrote:He accused a former Prophet and President of the Church of leading members down the wrong path.

"In remarks to the media following his address, Reid said that, "In the past years we've had some very prominent members of the church, like Ezra Taft Benson, who are really right-wing people.
"Members of the church are obedient and followers in the true sense of the word, but these people have taken members of the church down the path that is the wrong path," he said. "
(From the 10//10 07 Salt Lake Trib.)

I do not consider this deserving of excommunication, nor really worth a trip to the "wood shed. However, if he were called to a Church leadership position that affected me I would oppose the calling.' Same goes for certain other LDS politicians.


+1 I agree with you 100%. While I totally disagree with Senator Reid's comment, I do not think it is a comment worthy of excommunication. However, I would not support his call to be my stake president or bishop unless I believed he had repented of that misguided statement.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:41 pm
by Benjamin_LK
lundbaek wrote:He accused a former Prophet and President of the Church of leading members down the wrong path.

"In remarks to the media following his address, Reid said that, "In the past years we've had some very prominent members of the church, like Ezra Taft Benson, who are really right-wing people.
"Members of the church are obedient and followers in the true sense of the word, but these people have taken members of the church down the path that is the wrong path," he said. "
(From the 10//10 07 Salt Lake Trib.)

I do not consider this deserving of excommunication, nor really worth a trip to the "wood shed. However, if he were called to a Church leadership position that affected me I would oppose the calling.' Same goes for certain other LDS politicians.


Again, the problem with what Harry Reid is saying here is that in context of the time Benson said a lot of these things, it wasn't inherently right-wing at the time. Communism was the enemy to plenty of Democrats as well as Republicans throughout the Cold War Era. If one wants to argue that it was somehow misleading that Benson served under a GOP President, one could argue that Huntsman is misleading for serving under Obama. As for me, I have a fat chance of actually getting picked for a presidential cabinet right now. But I wouldn't mind what party the president has who offered it to me, and I would take the offer.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:51 pm
by Reggie
Not in defense of Harry Reid or Orrin Hatch either. But, I am wondering if a person believes not in abortion; but, the right to choose abortion. Also, a person could believe in "gay marriage/rights" not because they think it is moral or right but because marriage is a civil issue rather than a religious issue. This being a secular society, then there would not be a basis to discriminate against someone for sexual orientation reasons. Perhaps this is how Reid thinks. Would that put him still in the cross hairs of the "Excommunicate Him Camp"? Now, this is not withstanding any other crimes or associations contrary to teachings of the church that these LDS legislators might be guilty.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:26 pm
by Benjamin_LK
Reggie wrote:Not in defense of Harry Reid or Orrin Hatch either. But, I am wondering if a person believes not in abortion; but, the right to choose abortion. Also, a person could believe in "gay marriage/rights" not because they think it is moral or right but because marriage is a civil issue rather than a religious issue. This being a secular society, then there would not be a basis to discriminate against someone for sexual orientation reasons. Perhaps this is how Reid thinks. Would that put him still in the cross hairs of the "Excommunicate Him Camp"? Now, this is not withstanding any other crimes or associations contrary to teachings of the church that these LDS legislators might be guilty.


I don't believe so, again, feeling that civil unions are okay is okay with the church. You don't have to fear excommunication or serious counseling if you feel that civil benefits be generally available, especially considering that people not affiliated with religion at all and/or same-sex couples can get what's neccessary that way. It's only really crossing the line when you demand that the church seal same-sex couples in the Temple. There's nothing wrong with the fact that any LDS might be fine with this, that wasn't the problem with Harry Reid insomuch as he stated himself as "better" or "more politically correct" than the general church membership. Again, this is not grounds for excommunication, but it isn't the best kind of attitude you would look in someone to be a Stake President or a Bishop in the future.

Regarding abortion, the real part where you are in trouble is if you try to teach with assumed authority contrary to what the church's position is on abortion, or if you encourage a church member to get one without proper church counseling and approval. Yes, the church counsels when a woman who is a member considers the option of having an abortion, goes to show how they feel on the issue. If you are in a leadership position, do not knowingly take part in bypassing said counsel. Regarding abortion, both Harry Reid and Romney have admitted at different times that they cannot alone be practically expected to reverse national abortion policy, which is true, both on measure of the Constitutional Amendment Process, and/or judiciary selection.

Regarding some other issues, they aren't neccessarily bad issues either. Harry Reid was and currently is in favor of longer more strict background checks, without exception, to be required for those potentially purchasing a gun. Again, considering that whackos do get guns, making it more difficult for some crazies to get it can and doesn't sound like a bad idea.

That being said, I feel that a shared assets contract should just be adopted as a legal rule, for child custody, healthcare, and property sharing benefits, and such an idea could cover many kinds of relationships, not just marriage either. What if I wanted to enter a legal claim on my aging parent? What if I wanted to sign care and claim benefits for a sibling, roommate, etc.? The real problem in today's society is how people like to charge issues emotionally.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:17 am
by Rick Grimes
But, I am wondering if a person believes not in abortion; but, the right to choose abortion.


Reggie, here's the problem with that line of thinking. It's a little blurry, because Satan is that good to confuse the issue with us. We all believe in the right to choose or free agency. However, we don't (or at least shouldn't) believe in somebody having the "right" to choose to murder. I mean, sure, they can do it. But we will and should hold them accountable for their actions, right? So, by adding the word "choice" or "freedom to choose" (all good words for us freedom lovers), we distract from the basic truth that what this choice is all about is to commit sin. In this case the killing of a child.

If we replace the word "abortion" from the line you wrote, I think you'll see my point.

"....If a person believes not in murder; but, the right to choose to murder."

or

"....If a person believes not in rape; but, the right to choose to rape."

again, this can be misleading, and can decieve even the best of us. It is a ruse, plain and simple. We are talking about people committing horrible acts, and no matter how we label it, or how we spin it, it is still an abomination. We as members of the Lord's gospel should not support the expansion of these atrocities.

Also, a person could believe in "gay marriage/rights" not because they think it is moral or right but because marriage is a civil issue rather than a religious issue


Marriage my now be a civil issue, but it was created by God and only through the Gospel, no matter how far the human race strayed from it, has this sacred institution come to us. It was not created by man's government. Rather, government has supported it for milleniums now. This is a gross usurpation that the government of man has done, in re-defining what the Lord has created.

Although it is any person's right to live with, sleep with, whoever they might want to, it doesn't mean that we should support this lifestyle by enacting further government incentives to propogate this.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 am
by Hyrcanus
Abortion is a complicated issue. If we accept that there are some circumstances under which terminating a pregnancy might be acceptable then we've made it a judgement call for doctors and expecting mothers. I don't know where the perfect moral line is on this issue and I definitely struggle with what the government's role should be in it. Murder and rape are good analogs, because they are also fairly complicated. We don't always believe it is wrong to kill another person. Similarly anyone that follows the news knows that rape comes down to question of consent, which is by no means a static view.

My view on gay marriage is different than Harry Reid. I don't want the government telling me what is and what is not an acceptable marriage. I'd prefer they get out of that business altogether.

With regards to Harry Reid's view on ETB, there is no question ETB was very right wing. At the time ETB was an apostle and prophet there were more left leaning apostles serving (Hugh B. Brown) that felt much as Harry Reid feels/felt.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:35 am
by lundbaek
How do you know there were more left leaning apostles serving (Hugh B. Brown) that felt much as Harry Reid feels/felt ? I've heard that before but even HB Brown spoke well on one occasions of the US Constitution, freedom and liberty in the October 1965 General Conference.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:17 am
by Hyrcanus
lundbaek wrote:How do you know there were more left leaning apostles serving (Hugh B. Brown) that felt much as Harry Reid feels/felt ? I've heard that before but even HB Brown spoke well on one occasions of the US Constitution, freedom and liberty in the October 1965 General Conference.

The main place I've seen it referenced is Michael Quinn's book Extensions of Power and some of the personal correspondence of Hugh B. Brown. I'm not saying the Hugh B. Brown and Harry Reid agreed on everything, I'm saying that as I understand it, Hugh B. Brown appeared to have felt similarly to Harry Reid in regards to ETB.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:09 pm
by lundbaek
Nothing factual that I am aware of, but I have heard and read of disagreements among the 12 Re. certain things that President Benson said and did. "Latter-day Prophets and the United States Constitution" by Donald Q. Cannon and "A Glorius Standard for all Mankind" by Christopher S. Bentley are 2 books that show that almost every prophet and many apostles in this dispensation have spoken and/or written of the great importance of defending, upholding, and adhering to the principles of the US Constitution, and several have warned us that we have apostatized in various ways from the Constitution.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:38 pm
by suzy
In 2 Timothy Paul describes the church in apostasy as having a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof. This was not just describing the apostasy of the primitive church but anytime apostasy abounds.

When we look at Harry Reid (and Orrin Hatch) you only really need to ask a couple of questions. Does God want America to be a land of freedom? Did God divinely inspire the US Constitution? Can someone who is a corrupt leader of our Senate who is doing everything in his power to destroy the US Constitution have the power of the Holy Spirit working through him? Is someone who uses lies and intimidation to get his way...filled with the Holy Ghost?

We are becoming a people who give lip service to the form of Godliness that we embrace on Sundays but we deny the power of God. The Holy Spirit testifies the truth of all things. If we as people are no longer able to discern the spirit of the anti-Christ we are in personal apostasy.

Korihor had the spirit of the anti-Christ. This same spirit is in Harry Reid and Orrin Hatch, although Harry Reid is arguably in a whole different league, both of them are filled with the spirit of deceit. Both of them are bringing our country into bondage and treating as "naught" the Constitution of this great land

It is time to call a spade a spade. We were warned about secret combinations. Where did members get the idea that these secret combinations could only come from outside of the church? In the Book of Mormon it was the high priest in the church that were often the most corrupt. Make no mistake...the spirit that is in Harry Reid is no friend to God.

When did we become a people that can't tell when the emperor is wearing no clothes?

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:43 pm
by lundbaek
According to statements in the Doctrine and Covenants and recorded statements especially of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, Orson Pratt, John Taylor, Melvin J. Ballard, J. Reuben Clark, Harold B. Lee, and Ezra Taft Benson, it appears that God committed to Americans the task of learning and upholding the principles of the US Constitution as it was intended to be understood by the Lord such that by example those principles would reverberate to other nations where people would desire to live by its precepts and choose to be governed by them, and those principles would be established forever. That appears to have been America's intended destiny. Interesting it is that those statements were given specifically to Latter-day Saints.

There have been a few LDS candidates for legislative offices who have tried to inspire people to learn and espouse the principles of the Constitution. Reid, Hatch, Romney, Huntsman, Bennett, Flake, and Cannon are among those I remember as having demonstrated no interest in so doing.

Instead of the precepts of the US Constitution being emulated in other countries, Americans are increasingly espousing and adopting tyrannical ideologies of other nations.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:11 am
by sonofliberty
lundbaek wrote:According to statements in the Doctrine and Covenants and recorded statements especially of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, Orson Pratt, John Taylor, Melvin J. Ballard, J. Reuben Clark, Harold B. Lee, and Ezra Taft Benson, it appears that God committed to Americans the task of learning and upholding the principles of the US Constitution as it was intended to be understood by the Lord such that by example those principles would reverberate to other nations where people would desire to live by its precepts and choose to be governed by them, and those principles would be established forever. That appears to have been America's intended destiny. Interesting it is that those statements were given specifically to Latter-day Saints.

There have been a few LDS candidates for legislative offices who have tried to inspire people to learn and espouse the principles of the Constitution. Reid, Hatch, Romney, Huntsman, Bennett, Flake, and Cannon are among those I remember as having demonstrated no interest in so doing.

Instead of the precepts of the US Constitution being emulated in other countries, Americans are increasingly espousing and adopting tyrannical ideologies of other nations.


Excellent post and I agree 100%. So much for Isaiah 2:3.
3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.


Instead, Reid, Hatch, Romney, Huntsman, Bennett and those LDS politicians of that ilk are promoting the laws of Babylon in Zion.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:04 pm
by tradehead
Harry Reid is the modern day "Melbourne Man" !

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:53 pm
by DC1961
It is a shame to have seen a member excommunicated for false words that his own family placed upon his head. His family then turned and left the church. My family friend the member who was excommunicated stayed faithful to the church till he could be baptized again and work his way back up to hold the Priesthood. I admire him so much.
Harry Reid? He is a shame to the church and all it believes in. Harry Reid has his day coming. There is bitter within his family, a sickness that has been building up over time. Harry Reid will be brought down by his own doing. That I promise you.

Only by the power of the sword, be givin by the Lord. And he that useit in a righteous way shall never be pierced by anothers blade.

What has to be will be....

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:58 pm
by djm159
Could it be that Harry Reid is a big tither? It seems that as long as your tithing is large enough you don't have to follow the same rules as others. To assume that those holding public office do not have the same restrictions as mere mortals is absurd. Follow the money.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:03 pm
by LeisureKing
Since the release of the new unedited videos of Planned Parenthood and Harry Reid still in full support 110% of the baby parts selling business, how can the church stand still for the last several year and not say nothing. Are they afraid of loosing their tax exempt status? This is really heartbreaking after watching the videos. This in not even a political issue by a mile. The church has excumicated members for far less that what Senator Reid has done. This is Evil at its worse and he will have to answer to Heavly Father for this, in the mean time his Stake Presidency should be evaluated by the General Authorities and answers should be given to its members of why it has not acted in anyway to set set an example to world and start excumication Proc dures. This would a stunning example that we mean what we say in our beliefs.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:43 am
by Mark
LeisureKing wrote:Since the release of the new unedited videos of Planned Parenthood and Harry Reid still in full support 110% of the baby parts selling business, how can the church stand still for the last several year and not say nothing. Are they afraid of loosing their tax exempt status? This is really heartbreaking after watching the videos. This in not even a political issue by a mile. The church has excumicated members for far less that what Senator Reid has done. This is Evil at its worse and he will have to answer to Heavly Father for this, in the mean time his Stake Presidency should be evaluated by the General Authorities and answers should be given to its members of why it has not acted in anyway to set set an example to world and start excumication Proc dures. This would a stunning example that we mean what we say in our beliefs.



I am no fan of the political or social or economic ideas espoused by the likes of Harry Reid or any other LDS politician out there now for that matter but this idea that Stake Presidents should be called on the carpet for not excommunicating politically active members who we don't happen to agree with is just chilling. Read the church handbook to understand proper protocol on the legitimacy of calling for a church court and it might help clarify things for you.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:53 am
by light-one
LDSfreedomforum.com and latterdayconservative.com use the same favicon

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:06 am
by ilovetherain
Why hasn't Reid been excommunicated? Oh, please don't stop there. Why hasn't Hatch been excommunicated? And why hasn't all the corrupt Mormon judges in Utah and elsewhere been excommunicated who traffic children every day in their courtrooms? Who steal pensions from elderly and our military? What about all the corrupt attorneys and politicians that assist them in the same racket? What about the corrupt Mormon Utah State Legislators and the corrupt Utah Governors?

And then there are the corrupt Mormon government employees like CPS and GALs who assist in the child trafficking racket as well in courtrooms throughout Utah and elsewhere on a daily basis?

This is a question I will have until the Savior Himself comes to burn them!! And, I'm afraid, only the Savior has the answer for us!!

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:41 am
by lundbaek
Do any of you remember several years ago an LDS area seventy organized firesides in Church buildings for Happy Reid to speak during a time when he was running as an incumbent for the US Senate. I don't know how many if any were actually held, but I do remember the objections of some Church members being conveyed to the Church HQ and also to the area seventy responsible. I believe at least some of the events were scrubbed because of the objections raised.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:53 am
by boo
ilovetherain wrote:Why hasn't Reid been excommunicated? Oh, please don't stop there. Why hasn't Hatch been excommunicated? And why hasn't all the corrupt Mormon judges in Utah and elsewhere been excommunicated who traffic children every day in their courtrooms? Who steal pensions from elderly and our military? What about all the corrupt attorneys and politicians that assist them in the same racket? What about the corrupt Mormon Utah State Legislators and the corrupt Utah Governors?

And then there are the corrupt Mormon government employees like CPS and GALs who assist in the child trafficking racket as well in courtrooms throughout Utah and elsewhere on a daily basis?

This is a question I will have until the Savior Himself comes to burn them!! And, I'm afraid, only the Savior has the answer for us!!

Thank you for not being my ecclesiastical authority.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:54 am
by cybbota
Well... Mr Reid's got his stewardship and I got mine. Best to focus on my stewardship. I'm re-doubling my efforts to fight Globalism and the new world order, aka the international communist conspiracy as coined by ET Benson. I'm reading 100 versus a day in the BofM and doing my Home teaching every month. Also working hard to repent of all my other personal sins. Members like Mr. Reid just make me want to work even harder to teach others about the Book of Mormon and it's profound teachings of Liberty. As the world becomes converted to the Book of Mormon, the world will become converted to the Lord's plan of Happiness for the human family that is to be found only in Liberty.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:00 am
by JohnnyL
I don't know, but the Catholic Church has said no communion for Nancy Pelosi...

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:48 pm
by Lizzy60
Recently, the Deseret News published this high praise of Dirty Harry, which lauds him as a wonderful example of a Mormon.
Read it and weep.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... -Reid.html

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:01 pm
by lundbaek
I would hope that at least a few people responded to this article via Letter to the Editor and explained why they consider Senator Reid a poor example of a Mormon, or what a Mormon should be. I understand that he stands accused of involvement in a bribery scandal. Let's see what comes out of that.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:19 am
by Fiannan
The guy actually said the intelligence community should lie to Trump, yes, lie.

If Harry Reid is now considered a shining example of Mormonism then I am sure Joseph Smith is in the CK in a major face-palm reaction.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:05 am
by Silver
cybbota wrote:Well... Mr Reid's got his stewardship and I got mine. Best to focus on my stewardship. I'm re-doubling my efforts to fight Globalism and the new world order, aka the international communist conspiracy as coined by ET Benson. I'm reading 100 versus a day in the BofM and doing my Home teaching every month. Also working hard to repent of all my other personal sins. Members like Mr. Reid just make me want to work even harder to teach others about the Book of Mormon and it's profound teachings of Liberty. As the world becomes converted to the Book of Mormon, the world will become converted to the Lord's plan of Happiness for the human family that is to be found only in Liberty.


That was an awesome first post. Thank you for clearly stating where you stand.

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:39 pm
by InfoWarrior82
Benjamin_LK wrote:
lancef1 wrote:I am a convert of 4 years and quite frankly am appalled by the behavior demonstrated by Harry Reid. He has failed to demonstrate any Christ like behaviors. His practice of lies and bearing false witness against others is the worse I have ever seen. If I acted the way he does, I know I would be disciplined and excommunicated if I didn't repent.

The double standard makes me sick and tempts me to say adios to the church. Makes me wonder if I could do better on my own. Everyone at church gets so weird and squishy when it comes to politics. Joseph Smith was politically active and opinionated. Now the laws of the land are being destroyed and people like Mr. Reid are allowed to do whatever they please. What happened? I agree with Noahnuff, Jules GP, Mackingster, Stella Solaris & most of the others.


Has Reid personally falsely accused someone of criminal activity? Has he engaged in Criminal Activity? Can we prove it?


Here's something that comes to mind:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... domestic-/

Re: Why hasn't Harry Reid been excommunicated?

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:12 am
by Lizzy60
Another laudatory tribute and award to Harry Reid. Given by Mormons, and published in the Mormon newspaper. It seems the man can do no wrong.
Read it and weep.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... hurch.html