Any migraine sufferers?

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
eddie
captain of 1,000

Re: Any migraine sufferers?

Post by eddie »

brlenox wrote: April 11th, 2017, 9:41 pm
eddie wrote: April 11th, 2017, 7:34 pm For me getting too hot or to cold can cause a migraine. Heat dilates the vessels and cold constricts, any movement of the vessels can cause the migraine mechanism to come into play.
I'm betting that you actually have a list of things that trouble you in terms of health. That we are speaking of magnesium specifically shouldn't exclude that there are contributive factors in a majority of illnesses. I would guess you might have one of the increasingly more common auto immune diseases which compound health issues greatly. However, as in all things there are factors that are related to the autoimmune diseases that are increasing.

Were I you and genuinely interested in trying some of the ideas, I would think it through to a solution as opposed to a termination of effort. For instance while I am convinced that the Sun is the best source the issue is actually vitamin d deficiency. Thus again if you really wanted to try these things you might opt for a supplemental solution such as taking vitamin d.

If you do so then as in all things it should be done with knowledge and understanding. Vitamin d will up your magnesium needs as it will enable better usage. However, most important is that you never take vitamin D without taking Vitamin K2. K is the regulator for Calcium distribution in the body and failure to use K will encourage the body to build up potentially harmful calcium deposits, hardening of the arteries, gall stones, kidney stones, calcification of organs etc. Vitamin K manages the D and Calcium relationship to stop the detrimental issues from occurring.

This really is such a limited venue to expertly discuss these things simply for the time it takes to type all of this out. I just recommend that before you try anything that you really educate yourself concerning proper usage. When people fail to do this they do not realize the desired results and walk away from possible solutions claiming they do not work.
I never terminated my effort in eliminating migraines, i.e., no monosodium glutamate, nitrates, etc. After having a migraine I would think through very carefully what I had done or eaten. We aren't exclusively speaking of magnesium are we?

Having suffered debilitating migraines since the age of 13, of which seem to run in the family, I have tried it all. Ergotamine, (yuck) Periactin, Vasoconstrictors, ( Relpax- injections of imitrex, pheneragan, compazine, the new and the old. I have tried holistic medicine, magnesium, and I have spent many hours in emergency rooms being accused of just wanting drugs. No one took migraines seriously, I did. I no longer have them, so I must have done something right.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

alaris wrote: April 11th, 2017, 11:38 pm
brlenox wrote: April 11th, 2017, 6:58 pm
alaris wrote: April 11th, 2017, 3:59 pm
My personal feeling is that food has nothing to do with it. I tried for years to find causation but couldn't find any correlation - stress, time of day, foods, etc. etc.
The body is a complex organism and we have become a people that want a quick fix or pill to correct issues. Tragically, it simply does not work that way and so people often conclude with "it's not my fault" or nothing "I can do about it" etc. Few people take the time to read the medical studies, and other research and make uneducated observations. In most cases, it is all about nutrition and food is the primary source of such.
Yeah how sad. Stupid people.
Stupid remark!

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

I have noticed hormones are a big trigger for me. If I eat processed meat, like sausage, that has most likely been treated with hormones, migraines are usually on my horizon.

Also if a bright light hits my eyes just right it can spark an aura experience.

Interestingly I have always been low in iron, and a few times been told I was anemic.

I can go months without a migraine and then I will get 3 in one week. Also when I am expecting I get one almost everyday for the first 5 months and then they come very often after I deliver (4 a week) for 2 months.

Any time I have seen a doctor they just offer me medication- which I have steered away from.

Right now I have cut sugar out of my diet (I still eat fruit and occasional jams and stuff ) and most processed food. I am taking fermented cod liver and magnesium supplements. I am also trying to drink raw milk (I hate milk, so...)

I will report Back in the the next while if I notice any difference in my headache history.

I have been trying to guess my triggers since I was 8 :) so if I can figure anything new out that would be amazing!

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Kitkat wrote: April 12th, 2017, 7:43 am I have noticed hormones are a big trigger for me. If I eat processed meat, like sausage, that has most likely been treated with hormones, migraines are usually on my horizon.

Interestingly I have always been low in iron, and a few times been told I was anemic.

I can go months without a migraine and then I will get 3 in one week. Also when I am expecting I get one almost everyday for the first 5 months and then they come very often after I deliver (4 a week) for 2 months.

Any time I have seen a doctor they just offer me medication- which I have steered away from.

Right now I have cut sugar out of my diet (I still eat fruit and occasional jams and stuff ) and most processed food. I am taking fermented cod liver and magnesium supplements. I am also trying to drink raw milk (I hate milk, so...)

I will report Back in the the next while if I notice any difference in my headache history.

I have been trying to guess my triggers since I was 8 :) so if I can figure anything new out that would be amazing!
If I get an aura in one eye it never turns into a migraine, so the moment I notice a small aura I frantically blink each eye looking around to see if it's one or both eyes.

May I suggest a magnesium spray? During my uneducated education of investigating supplements I read that magnesium is better absorbed into the skin. Of course this particular research was to improve my sleep as I have a sleep disorder. Here is a link to more info :

https://draxe.com/magnesium-oil/

Here is the "oil" I use though I'm going to add headache remedy (thanks brlenox)... Actually there are better - reviewed oils on Amazon now.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

alaris wrote: April 12th, 2017, 6:24 pm
Kitkat wrote: April 12th, 2017, 7:43 am I have noticed hormones are a big trigger for me. If I eat processed meat, like sausage, that has most likely been treated with hormones, migraines are usually on my horizon.

If I get an aura in one eye it never turns into a migraine, so the moment I notice a small aura I frantically blink each eye looking around to see if it's one or both eyes.

May I suggest a magnesium spray? During my uneducated education of investigating supplements I read that magnesium is better absorbed into the skin. Of course this particular research was to improve my sleep as I have a sleep disorder. Here is a link to more info :

Here is the "oil" I use though I'm going to add headache remedy (thanks brlenox)... Actually there are better - reviewed oils on Amazon now.
An Excellent Uneducated suggestion. :ymapplause: While acquiring my educated education I ran into magnesium oil. There were times that I could not get enough absorbed through digestion. I found that by covering my stomach and then laying a layer of saran wrap over it I could absorb more through the skin and that would get things balanced back again where I could keep the headaches at bay through supplementation. After about thirty minutes or so your skin has absorbed a goodly amount. There is about 500 - 560 mg in a teaspoon.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

brlenox wrote: April 12th, 2017, 7:11 pm

An Excellent Uneducated suggestion. :ymapplause: While acquiring my educated education I ran into magnesium oil. There were times that I could not get enough absorbed through digestion. I found that by covering my stomach and then laying a layer of saran wrap over it I could absorb more through the skin and that would get things balanced back again where I could keep the headaches at bay through supplementation. After about thirty minutes or so your skin has absorbed a goodly amount. There is about 500 - 560 mg in a teaspoon.
Do you mind describing your magnesium supplement regimen? Which kind did you take? Did you take more than one kind? How often did you take it?

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

Meili wrote: April 12th, 2017, 10:50 pm
brlenox wrote: April 12th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Do you mind describing your magnesium supplement regimen? Which kind did you take? Did you take more than one kind? How often did you take it?
I use magnesium taurate. I can buy it in bulk for $36.00 for 2.2 pounds or 1 kilo from Vitaspace. Recently he has become a bit erratic in shipping but M. taurate is very well absorbed and has very little flavor (compared to others). I buy three kilo's at at time as my wife uses it for her restless legs and headaches, I use it for headaches. I pretty much depend on this type for the most part. I have used magnesium oil up to last year when I wasn't able to absorb enough but that its no longer necessary. I have tried magnesium glycinate powder but the taste is beyond horrible - it taste like cat urine smells. It is very absorbable, If you don't throw-up. I only use bulk powders because what cost me 36 dollars would be many hundreds of dollars if I used capsules.

For myself I take as a standard around 1000 mg a day broken up into three batches. I have a measuring spoon and I place the powder on my tongue and chase it down with liquid.

That is only the foundation. I can tell when I am going to get a headache about four hours before I get it. There are a multitude of things that interfere with mineral absorption. One of the most prevalent is phytic acid which is found in all grains, most nuts and legumes. Minerals bind to phytic acid and get tossed out of the body. It is impossible to not eat something made of some sort of grain in most meals so there are times that I might take my magnesium and I still feel the headache coming on. So...I take more. In other words I am always listening to my body as the headaches are unbearable and I am all for not having them. If my body signals that I am not absorbing enough, I take more. Some days, much more.

Because of the fact I was taking magnesium and I could get rid of headaches but I was still requiring so much I good tell I was not getting it right so that my body could replenish stores instead of me staying just above some minimum thresh hold. Further research and analysis got me thinking that there must be something that normally improves absorption that I was missing. Staying just barely above empty is a lot of work and wasted nutrition if your body can't be efficient in using it. In the past 6 months, I added a high dose vitamin D regimen. I take 25,000 iu plus with vitamin k2 m4 and m7, vitamin a, vitamin e. This has taken about 4 months to see much change but the past 2 months of almost 6 total have completely altered my success with magnesium. It is obvious my body is storing magnesium, rebuilding lost bone mass, particularly my teeth where even cavities are filling in. I also use a toothpaste imported from Japan or England which has nano-hydroxyapatite which is the component that the body builds bone with. The headaches are now out about three days apart and I take the magnesium and in 15 minutes all is normal. Any way that is a nut shell of where I am at the moment on this particular supplementation.

footnote final comments from a study on nano-hydroxyapatite:

Full study here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4252862/
Final remarks

The nano-hydroxyapatite is a revolutionary material with a wide use in dentistry. With regard to restorative and preventive fields, nano-hydroxyapatite has remarkable remineralizing effects on initial lesions of enamel, certainly higher than traditional fluorides used until now for this purpose. Nano-hydroxyapatite is, in fact, a better source of free Ca, and this is a key element as regards the remineralization, the protection against caries and dental erosion. With regard to the latter point, of fundamental importance in dentistry, the road leading to the addition of small percentages of nano-HA (0.25%) in beverages such as mineral supplements for sports activities, in order to prevent tooth erosion caused by those drinks, seems very promising. Nano-HA has also been used as a supplementary material, in order to improve the dental materials already existing and widely used. This is the case of the experimental addition to traditional GIC, a procedure that has led to significant improvements in the mechanical properties of these substances.

A continuing interest in the nano-crystalline structure of hydroxyapatite has prompted many researchers to look for new combinations that could improve existing materials or create new ones that could meet their needs. This has led to new complex compounds, such as nano-HA associated with zinc carbonate, which seems to be an excellent material for the remineralization of initial lesions involving enamel and dentin, or as the nano-HA associated with the polyamide 66, used in order to create a new periodontal membrane with improved properties.

Noteworthy are the applications of nano-HA in fields other than strictly restorative or preventive. Because of its unique properties, such as the ability to chemically bind to bone, without inducing toxicity or inflammation and stimulating bone growth through a direct action on osteoblasts, nano-HA has been widely used in periodontology and in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Collagen membranes associated with nano-HA are used to fill bone defects, since this substance leads to a clear improvement in periodontal indices.

Its use in the field of implantology, instead, is a practice widely used and has been consolidated in recent years, since the nano-hydroxyapatite has excellent osteoinductive capacity and improves osteointegration in bone-implant interface. It is therefore natural to expect for the coming years an increased interest in this revolutionary substance and a growing number of scientific articles on the subject.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks. That was helpful. I read about magnesium taurate but heard it was expensive and hard to find, which is why I opted not to use it.

So far, I'm still feeling more energetic and I'm sleeping better too. I'm more able to actually sleep when I'm tired instead of restlessly tossing and turning. Today I had a mild headache which was easily controlled which seemed like an improvement over the past. It might have been a fluke, I don't know. I'll still need to give it more time to see if it's helping the headaches. I don't get them too frequently.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

I found this helpful too:

High magnesium foods include dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fish, beans, whole grains, avocados, yogurt, bananas, dried fruit, dark chocolate, and more. The current daily value (DV) for magnesium is 400mg.

Interestingly pumpkin seeds have the highest percentage of magnesium. Just 1/4 cup will give you 190 mg!

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... nt&dbid=75

Yum for dark chocolate! I always go for the foods that look most like how nature made them if I am looking for health benefits. For example even though breakfast cereal touts whole grains and vitamins and minerals galore, I just don't get as excited about it's healing properties :) as I would about eating avocados or bananas.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

So I have been taking magnesium supplements for a little while, not for my migraines or headaches. I get get migraines fairly regularly, but I have almost a constant minimal headache all the time. Yesterday I could feel a bad headache coming on. It was starting to get worse. I took a magnesium pill and about 10 minutes later the headache had slowed to just a tiny annoyance when ever I moved my head rapidly! I was so amazed I had to share. I am not 100% sure it was the magnesium , but I am going to be trying it next time I get a headache. I will let you all know if it continues to be a help. I'm quite hopeful :)

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

Kitkat wrote: April 16th, 2017, 6:43 am So I have been taking magnesium supplements for a little while, not for my migraines or headaches. I get get migraines fairly regularly, but I have almost a constant minimal headache all the time. Yesterday I could feel a bad headache coming on. It was starting to get worse. I took a magnesium pill and about 10 minutes later the headache had slowed to just a tiny annoyance when ever I moved my head rapidly! I was so amazed I had to share. I am not 100% sure it was the magnesium , but I am going to be trying it next time I get a headache. I will let you all know if it continues to be a help. I'm quite hopeful :)
When I have these occasions where the headache is on the verge I will take the magnesium as you did. If an hour later the headache is not gone, I will take another. Then an hour later, if it is not gone I will take another. The downside to excessive magnesium is that most forms will pass the extra out in your waste. When you pass too much it becomes diarrhea. It doesn't generally last but it tells you where your threshold is for magnesium intake. No one who is taking adequate magnesium should ever be constipated as normally it just makes things right.

Nonetheless, I want to reiterate how valuable the mega-doses of D and K have been to allowing my body to start getting ahead and restoring the magnesium into my system. For me I have gone from every two or three hours requiring magnesium to where it is now every two or three days. I still try to remember to take it three times a day but as the headaches have gotten farther apart I notice there are times where I forget to take it as the pain has always been the reminder for me.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

My wife has suffered terrible migraines for years, including the auras and ears ringing, and magnesium didn't do a thing for her. We also tried things like arginine, b2, b12, butterbur, feverfew, etc. and while some of those things provided some relief, not too much.

On a lark I tried something recent someone had told me about, hemp oil/extract, and that was absolutely amazing, she was very happy. I realize there are some here who might turn their noses at something like this, but for migraine sufferers out there I hope you'll consider it. The active component is CBD, which helps a lot of things, including anxiety, insomnia and depression. This stuff is amazing. Hemp oil does NOT contain the psychoactive ingredient THC, so there's no high of any kind, but it is relaxing without making you feel drugged.

For those who insist on trying magnesium (and everyone should be taking it), avoid magnesium oxide, it's useless for the body. Use magnesium glycinate or magnesium oil. Magnesium threonate is probably the best, but it's also expensive.

And we know what usually triggers her migraines, it's overhead if you care to observe what's happening in the skies. Every time they're busy with their weather manipulations, my wife feels it resoundingly.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

brlenox wrote: April 13th, 2017, 10:13 pm I use magnesium taurate. I can buy it in bulk for $36.00 for 2.2 pounds or 1 kilo from Vitaspace. Recently he has become a bit erratic in shipping but M. taurate is very well absorbed and has very little flavor (compared to others). I buy three kilo's at at time as my wife uses it for her restless legs and headaches, I use it for headaches. I pretty much depend on this type for the most part. I have used magnesium oil up to last year when I wasn't able to absorb enough but that its no longer necessary.
For restless legs, which I still occasionally deal with, rlscure.org is a great resource. A paleo diet is the cure, unfortunately I don't always do that. On a whim years ago I tried rubbing magnesium oil on my legs and that stopped it within minutes, but it doesn't always work. Used in conjunction with homeopathic remedy of Lycopodeum at 200C will usually stop it. Also benfothiamine (fat-soluble B1) helps keep it in check as well.
brlenox wrote: April 13th, 2017, 10:13 pmI have tried magnesium glycinate powder but the taste is beyond horrible - it taste like cat urine smells. It is very absorbable, If you don't throw-up. I only use bulk powders because what cost me 36 dollars would be many hundreds of dollars if I used capsules.

For myself I take as a standard around 1000 mg a day broken up into three batches. I have a measuring spoon and I place the powder on my tongue and chase it down with liquid.

That is only the foundation. I can tell when I am going to get a headache about four hours before I get it. There are a multitude of things that interfere with mineral absorption. One of the most prevalent is phytic acid which is found in all grains, most nuts and legumes. Minerals bind to phytic acid and get tossed out of the body. It is impossible to not eat something made of some sort of grain in most meals so there are times that I might take my magnesium and I still feel the headache coming on. So...I take more. In other words I am always listening to my body as the headaches are unbearable and I am all for not having them. If my body signals that I am not absorbing enough, I take more. Some days, much more.

Because of the fact I was taking magnesium and I could get rid of headaches but I was still requiring so much I good tell I was not getting it right so that my body could replenish stores instead of me staying just above some minimum thresh hold. Further research and analysis got me thinking that there must be something that normally improves absorption that I was missing. Staying just barely above empty is a lot of work and wasted nutrition if your body can't be efficient in using it. In the past 6 months, I added a high dose vitamin D regimen. I take 25,000 iu plus with vitamin k2 m4 and m7, vitamin a, vitamin e. This has taken about 4 months to see much change but the past 2 months of almost 6 total have completely altered my success with magnesium. It is obvious my body is storing magnesium, rebuilding lost bone mass, particularly my teeth where even cavities are filling in. I also use a toothpaste imported from Japan or England which has nano-hydroxyapatite which is the component that the body builds bone with. The headaches are now out about three days apart and I take the magnesium and in 15 minutes all is normal. Any way that is a nut shell of where I am at the moment on this particular supplementation.
Looks like you read up on Weston A. Price, excellent, although not impossible to eat meals without grains. It's very possible if you primarily eat meat and vegetables with some fruit and nuts tossed in.

That's really interesting info about your regimen. My teeth are suffering more from the sins of the past. Where do you buy your magnesium powder? Another thing to consider for your regiment in sulphur (MSM) which is also important for (re) building bone. You might also want to try adding vit A from cod liver oil. Minerals and fat-soluble vitamins seem to be the key. I think your idea of upping magnesium is a good one and I will do that.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

gruden2.0 wrote: April 16th, 2017, 11:04 am
brlenox wrote: April 13th, 2017, 10:13 pm I use magnesium taurate. I can buy it in bulk for $36.00 for 2.2 pounds or 1 kilo from Vitaspace. Recently he has become a bit erratic in shipping but M. taurate is very well absorbed and has very little flavor (compared to others). I buy three kilo's at at time as my wife uses it for her restless legs and headaches, I use it for headaches. I pretty much depend on this type for the most part. I have used magnesium oil up to last year when I wasn't able to absorb enough but that its no longer necessary.
For restless legs, which I still occasionally deal with, rlscure.org is a great resource. A paleo diet is the cure, unfortunately I don't always do that. On a whim years ago I tried rubbing magnesium oil on my legs and that stopped it within minutes, but it doesn't always work. Used in conjunction with homeopathic remedy of Lycopodeum at 200C will usually stop it. Also benfothiamine (fat-soluble B1) helps keep it in check as well.

Looks like you read up on Weston A. Price, excellent, although not impossible to eat meals without grains. It's very possible if you primarily eat meat and vegetables with some fruit and nuts tossed in.

That's really interesting info about your regimen. My teeth are suffering more from the sins of the past. Where do you buy your magnesium powder? Another thing to consider for your regiment in sulphur (MSM) which is also important for (re) building bone. You might also want to try adding vit A from cod liver oil. Minerals and fat-soluble vitamins seem to be the key. I think your idea of upping magnesium is a good one and I will do that.
Much of what you have covered has been discussed in earlier posts on this thread. Especially funny is that you ask where I get my Magnesium and that information is in the quote that you responded to.

As far as Price, While I am very familiar with his work, and do consider him exceptional in his analysis, I make no effort to reduce my grain intake particularly wheat. Everything, for me, has to fall within the realm of the Word of Wisdom and as it states wheat is for man. The issues we are having with glucose intolerance and such in our diets these days have not been my issues. I simply recognize that there are components of food that may impact absorption of nutrients. Interesting about phytic acid is that while it has a negative effect on most minerals it seems to enhance iron absorption. Thus there maybe more purpose to its presence than we understand. You mentioned Restless legs, turns out iron is a co-nutrient with magnesium for it's correction and we have found that for my wife it takes both to add longevity to her corrective measures. Vitamin D also is adding to that as well.

MSM has long been a part of my families health measure. I consider it the most effective single agent one can add to their diet to get great effect with usually very limited side effect. Taken with vitamin C it even healed my wife's skin cancer much to her excitement as she did not want to go back for another surgery which she had had a couple of years earlier.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

gruden2.0 wrote: April 16th, 2017, 10:53 am My wife has suffered terrible migraines for years, including the auras and ears ringing, and magnesium didn't do a thing for her. We also tried things like arginine, b2, b12, butterbur, feverfew, etc. and while some of those things provided some relief, not too much.

On a lark I tried something recent someone had told me about, hemp oil/extract, and that was absolutely amazing, she was very happy. I realize there are some here who might turn their noses at something like this, but for migraine sufferers out there I hope you'll consider it. The active component is CBD, which helps a lot of things, including anxiety, insomnia and depression. This stuff is amazing. Hemp oil does NOT contain the psychoactive ingredient THC, so there's no high of any kind, but it is relaxing without making you feel drugged.

For those who insist on trying magnesium (and everyone should be taking it), avoid magnesium oxide, it's useless for the body. Use magnesium glycinate or magnesium oil. Magnesium threonate is probably the best, but it's also expensive.

And we know what usually triggers her migraines, it's overhead if you care to observe what's happening in the skies. Every time they're busy with their weather manipulations, my wife feels it resoundingly.
Where do you get your hemp oil?

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Kitkat wrote: April 16th, 2017, 6:43 am So I have been taking magnesium supplements for a little while, not for my migraines or headaches. I get get migraines fairly regularly, but I have almost a constant minimal headache all the time. Yesterday I could feel a bad headache coming on. It was starting to get worse. I took a magnesium pill and about 10 minutes later the headache had slowed to just a tiny annoyance when ever I moved my head rapidly! I was so amazed I had to share. I am not 100% sure it was the magnesium , but I am going to be trying it next time I get a headache. I will let you all know if it continues to be a help. I'm quite hopeful :)
I think it is also important to note that when I took the magnesium I had not eaten anything for about 4-3 hours. I know it was mentioned to avoid taking it right after you have consumed grains or nuts.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

When I feel a bad headache coming on, I call it being in the framework for a migraine. I know if I'm not very careful I'm in trouble. Sometimes the flash off of a chrome bumper can start the migraine, or a smell, such as a candle. While having the aura I am very confused, I can't see, everything is jumbled up, Its even difficult for me to dial a number on the phone. As soon as the aura subsides, the agonizing headache starts. During the aura the vessels are constricting, when the headache comes on the vessels are dilating. I had success with a drug called Relpax, to which some might object, but in about 1/2 hour I could function again. I don't think going through excruciating pain with nausea and the resulting high blood pressure is good for you either. If magnesium works, then hallelujah!! Thanks for the advice!!!

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

So, I don't know if it is the placebo effect or what, but I have had a nasty headache today. We bought some dry roasted pumpkin seeds because they are outrageously high in magnesium and I wanted to try to get some natural magnesium with my supplemental pills. I ate about 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds and my headache is GONE! I still and amazed. So, I will keep reporting :)

HelenShaw
Hi, I'm new.

Post by HelenShaw »

I also had migraine. Water massage has helped me to overcome it.

letsjet
captain of 100

Post by letsjet »

I keep two 800 milligram Ibuprofen pills in my back pocket at all times. When I feel a migraine starting I take both pills and wash them down with lots of water. Then I close my eyes and find a dark place.

In a few minutes the shimmering stops and the sensitivity to light goes away. I have found that if I do this quickly enough that I avoid the headache.

I never take caffeine and I avoid foods that have lots of preservatives. That seems to help.

Everybody is different. I hope you can find what works for you. Just remember many of our modern health problems are due to "conspiring men" who care more about money than anybody's health. Much of the processed food we eat isn't really food. It's junk!

Good luck!

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Silver wrote: April 11th, 2017, 10:19 am
brlenox wrote: April 11th, 2017, 8:34 am
Meili wrote: April 10th, 2017, 9:33 pm I think my headaches might be tension headaches gone wild. If I don't get them under control early, they get so bad that I just camp out by the toilet because I puke every few minutes. I don't have any vision distortion or anything like that, though. I get them if I've not slept well for a long while or if I'm under a lot of stress.

Many times I've nipped them in the bud by sitting up on my bed away from the wall and slowly rotating my head around in circles stretching my neck as far as it go in every direction. I have to do that for nearly an hour or longer but it will kill the headache almost every time. I can also dodge the headache by taking Advil early on. A cup of coffee helps but usually wears off after a bit unless I take Advil with it.

I've just started talking magnesium and am seeing good results after just a few days. I don't know if it will stop the headaches but I'm feeling more energetic. I'm taking two different kinds: magnesium chloride and magnesium malate. Different kinds help different problems and those two seemed to address my worst problems.
Tension headaches are the classic magnesium headache. Some estimate that up to 80% of the population is deficient in magnesium. The type of magnesium you are taking matters as certain types have better absorption than others most supplements use M. oxide which is only good for loosening the bowels. As I mentioned, it took two years to get this to start working. Another trick is that magnesium is absorbed better transdermally than through the digestive track so sometimes if you take a epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) hot bath for 30 minutes or more that can help. However, once again a depleted magnesium state is so critical that the body, starving as it is for magnesium may have greater priorities for it's use than your headache. There are over 400 functions for magnesium in the body. One of the most critical is that if it falls below 1% in the serum blood level the body panics and starts sucking it out of the bodes and teeth as when the level falls below 1 % it will lead to heart attack. So it is the primary contributor to osteoporosis (not calcium). So until get the correct type of magnesium (Malate is considered one of the best for digestion and chloride is better for transdermal) and take it until your stores are built back enough that it can perform it's muscle relaxing role.
Is there something in the typical North American diet that causes the depletion of magnesium? Foods/drinks to avoid?
I think monoculture farming techniques, without the animals to graze the land and without letting the land rest every 7 years is depleting the soil so the vegetables don't have much nutrition. Sprouts do though. I think I remember learning this from drmercola.com

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

brlenox wrote: April 16th, 2017, 12:07 pm Much of what you have covered has been discussed in earlier posts on this thread. Especially funny is that you ask where I get my Magnesium and that information is in the quote that you responded to.
Oh crap, my reading comprehension is shot! Too bad magnesium won't help that!
brlenox wrote:As far as Price, While I am very familiar with his work, and do consider him exceptional in his analysis, I make no effort to reduce my grain intake particularly wheat. Everything, for me, has to fall within the realm of the Word of Wisdom and as it states wheat is for man. The issues we are having with glucose intolerance and such in our diets these days have not been my issues. I simply recognize that there are components of food that may impact absorption of nutrients. Interesting about phytic acid is that while it has a negative effect on most minerals it seems to enhance iron absorption. Thus there maybe more purpose to its presence than we understand. You mentioned Restless legs, turns out iron is a co-nutrient with magnesium for it's correction and we have found that for my wife it takes both to add longevity to her corrective measures. Vitamin D also is adding to that as well.

MSM has long been a part of my families health measure. I consider it the most effective single agent one can add to their diet to get great effect with usually very limited side effect. Taken with vitamin C it even healed my wife's skin cancer much to her excitement as she did not want to go back for another surgery which she had had a couple of years earlier.
After reading your post I've been doing more experimenting with different forms of magnesium. I've observed no benefit from magnesium glycinate (nothing bad either), but I respond really well to magnesium malate. That stops RLS really well (especially in combination with magnesium oil, they work well together). I was, however, disappointed to discover that there's only a small quantity of elemental magnesium in magnesium malate. So it's good for stopping certain symptoms of magnesium deficiency, but not enough to restore proper levels. Glycinate has a higher concentration, just haven't seen any benefit (and you're right, the bulk powder form tastes AWFUL - hard to mask).

Still trying magnesium threonate, so far haven't noticed anything. I recently picked up another kind, a mixture of malate and biglycinate, which has much more elemental magnesium. Looking forward to seeing what that does.

Sometimes iron does help RLS. I found the best way to take that, at least for me, is in molasses. I buy a brand where 1 tablespoon provides a 70% daily dose of iron. Iron should always be taken with vitamin C - it doesn't absorb without it. Smoked clams is another good source.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Kitkat wrote: April 16th, 2017, 1:08 pm Where do you get your hemp oil?
Sorry for not responding sooner, haven't been here in a while.

The first kind we tried was this brand from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Restore-CALM-Inf ... il+extract

Different flavor, but same stuff.

Recently I tried another brand purchased from a Better Health store. It was a better deal in that it was much more concentrated yet cost the same.

https://pluscbdoil.com/cbd-product/cbd-oil-drops/

Definitely stronger, my wife is happy how much it helps, but this stuff does make her drowsy.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

gruden2.0 wrote: June 26th, 2017, 7:58 pm
brlenox wrote: April 16th, 2017, 12:07 pm Much of what you have covered has been discussed in earlier posts on this thread. Especially funny is that you ask where I get my Magnesium and that information is in the quote that you responded to.
Oh crap, my reading comprehension is shot! Too bad magnesium won't help that!
brlenox wrote:As far as Price, While I am very familiar with his work, and do consider him exceptional in his analysis, I make no effort to reduce my grain intake particularly wheat. Everything, for me, has to fall within the realm of the Word of Wisdom and as it states wheat is for man. The issues we are having with glucose intolerance and such in our diets these days have not been my issues. I simply recognize that there are components of food that may impact absorption of nutrients. Interesting about phytic acid is that while it has a negative effect on most minerals it seems to enhance iron absorption. Thus there maybe more purpose to its presence than we understand. You mentioned Restless legs, turns out iron is a co-nutrient with magnesium for it's correction and we have found that for my wife it takes both to add longevity to her corrective measures. Vitamin D also is adding to that as well.

After reading your post I've been doing more experimenting with different forms of magnesium. I've observed no benefit from magnesium glycinate (nothing bad either), but I respond really well to magnesium malate. That stops RLS really well (especially in combination with magnesium oil, they work well together). I was, however, disappointed to discover that there's only a small quantity of elemental magnesium in magnesium malate. So it's good for stopping certain symptoms of magnesium deficiency, but not enough to restore proper levels. Glycinate has a higher concentration, just haven't seen any benefit (and you're right, the bulk powder form tastes AWFUL - hard to mask).

Still trying magnesium threonate, so far haven't noticed anything. I recently picked up another kind, a mixture of malate and biglycinate, which has much more elemental magnesium. Looking forward to seeing what that does.

Sometimes iron does help RLS. I found the best way to take that, at least for me, is in molasses. I buy a brand where 1 tablespoon provides a 70% daily dose of iron. Iron should always be taken with vitamin C - it doesn't absorb without it. Smoked clams is another good source.
Threonate, I feel is worthless. It was formulated as a nootropic, - something to enhance brain function. I took it for a while. Did not help headaches and I am as stupid as ever. My wife does the molasses thing just as you do and we find it to be the magic trick on certain occasions when the magnesium doesn't seem to be the problem.

Magnesium is generally absorbed better through the skin as in Epsom Salts in the tub - 4 cups, 30 + minutes and sometimes that turns the tide for the better.

One thing I found makes a remarkable improvement in the magnesium absorption and subsequent getting ahead of the daily requirement is Vitamin D, K2 m7, A, E, sometimes this will increase calcium needs as well but I don't do that automatically. The mega dose D will fix a multitude of issues but sometimes to get to healing it has to repair some things the body mis-repaired in teh absence of the K and D.