Changes

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Changes

Post by JohnnyL »

I love ice cream. LOVE. But as I've put on too many pounds recently, I have switched to making my health shakes a little thicker, and freezing them. Delicious, cold, and much, much healthier. :)

What changes have you made, or do you plan on making?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Re: Changes

Post by Rose Garden »

:) I've made many changes. One of the best was switching to natural sweeteners. Another was switching from hydrogenated oils to real butter. Yum.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

Cut back on sugar even more, cut back on simple carbs like most breads and pastas. Cut out meat back in 2011, and am doing pretty good. I think I have another 5-10 lbs to lose and I'd be in great shape. I'm 6' and weighed 232 at one point, and now I'm 188.

This is what I eat daily now:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 3997 times

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

I started on the Serotonin power diet three weeks ago. Best thing ever. It says you will lose 2 LBs a week and I have. They have a website. I bought a used copy on amazon. I got tired of the low carb diet. I would lose weight then gain it back when I ate pizza or ice cream at a party. So far so good. http://serotoninpowerdiet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

That looks interesting. So had your appetite been curbed or is it tough to stick with the diet?

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

Meili wrote:That looks interesting. So had your appetite been curbed or is it tough to stick with the diet?
I have been really happy with this diet. I'm just not as hungry. You have a breakfast of a protein, carb and a fruit. A carb snack of no more than 150 calories 1/2 hour before lunch. Lunch is a protein and veggies, A carb snack in the late afternoon, Dinner is carbs and veggies. A night time carb snack of 150 calories. The meals shouldn't be too high in calories. That is for the first two weeks. After you can add a little protein to dinner and drop the evening snack. I liked the first phase so much I'm staying to it for longer.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll try it. Serotonin is definitely a good thing. :)

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Meili wrote::) I've made many changes. One of the best was switching to natural sweeteners. Another was switching from hydrogenated oils to real butter. Yum.
I remember getting introduced to margarine. Wow, I used to eat a lot of it. Poisoned my body for years... :ymblushing:

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

Cut back on carbs and sugar, very little meat, chicken when I do, lots of water, exercise, I've started painting, it distracts me from eating. I will be perfect soon. ;)

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

JohnnyL wrote:
Meili wrote::) I've made many changes. One of the best was switching to natural sweeteners. Another was switching from hydrogenated oils to real butter. Yum.
I remember getting introduced to margarine. Wow, I used to eat a lot of it. Poisoned my body for years... :ymblushing:
When I made the switch, I noticed I could suddenly go between meals without getting hungry. Also, my energy levels were higher. I lost weight because I moved more.

SAM
captain of 100

Post by SAM »

I've tried a few things over the years. For a time, I was mostly vegan and it healed some severe acne and other minor health problems I was having. I haven't stayed vegan but I do try to eat meat less frequently. I only use full fat dairy products and don't drink plain milk (I prefer almond milk). I mostly eat yogurt, cheese, sour cream, etc, dairy that has been slightly fermented / soured. My acne and other problems have never returned from doing things that way.

My last pregnancy was a doozy in the weight gain department. I have had to work hard to lose the weight this time around and my metabolism isn't what it used to be :( It's taken me 18 months, but I'm back down to a healthy weight with only 10 lbs to go to my goal weight. I have also tried a few other programs, i.e., Feel Great in Eight (lots of whole grains, natural sweeteners, fruits / veggies, , no hydrogenated oils, etc), 21 Day Fix (low carb), myfitnesspal (tracking calories) and I've found the very simplest way for me to lose weight is to make sure I get 5 servings of fruit / veggies, choose mostly whole grains, drink lots of water and rarely any other kind of drink, exercise at least 30 mins a day 5-6 days a week with one or two being long and /or vigorous exercise sessions, go to bed hungry, which I do by not eating after eight, unless it's one serving of a fruit or veggie (sometimes I have that with dip or PB to keep it interesting) and I give myself a day off each week when I don't care and I generally eat a small dessert dailiy because enjoying food is a big part of my life and I hate feeling deprived constantly. It makes me binge.

Anyway, I keep losing this way without having to cut out too many things, which just causes me to yo yo. I have wanted to find a way to eat that is maintainable long term and this has worked really well for me.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I am starving at night, but I have learned that if I drink water, it usually does the trick. It's just I'd rather have something other than water! Just drink the water, just drink the water...