Is being OVERWEIGHT breaking the Word of Wisdom ?

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Re: Is being OVERWEIGHT breaking the Word of Wisdom ?

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Everything you need to know about the history of the Word of Wisdom in the early church and how it has evolved over the years:

http://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-conte ... N03_80.pdf

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

InfoWarrior82 wrote:
passionflower wrote: Section 89 never says it is a "health guideline". That's just what a lot of other people, interpreting it for themselves, have said.
"To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom"

What does "not by way of commandment" mean to you? Though it is true, that (I believe it was Pres. J.F. Smith) who later declared that he had a good feeling in his heart that this should now be considered as a commandment and as a qualification to enter the temple. So, that became the new norm.

Last edited by passionflower on November 24th, 2017, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Is being OVERWEIGHT breaking the Word of Wisdom ?

How could it? When people become obese they are only doing what their doctor tells them to do by way of getting into shape...think about it...round is a shape, right? Where in the word of wisdom does it say that we can't get into shape? :D

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

I have a hard time believing that a female runner I know who has competed internationally, and who recently showed off her tattoo in social media, is disrespecting her body as a temple while a person who destroys their health by being obese, but has no tattoos, is honoring it.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

I'll let this video speak for itself.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

jockeybox wrote:I'll let this video speak for itself.
Interesting quote at 6:55

Whether the doctor is correct or not I have seen studies that show that people do look down on obese people and assign negative traits to them. That appears to be cross-cultural as well.

Joe
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Joe »

Elizabeth wrote:I think tattoos are disgusting. They make me feel revulsion for the person.

What do you think about, tattoo's, that had been applied before coming to know the church? Is a tattoo a good judgment of a personality, spirituality?
My tattoo's are from times past, and my baptism, and weekly sacriment help me repent for any transgressions : )

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Even a non member should have enough intelligence to not deface their skin with tattoos.
Those who have done so, display a visible sign to others of their lack of judgement and common sense.
As you are of course well aware Joe, when and if they realise their foolishness and regret such, then their only remedy is the traumatic choice of removal or to cover if possible with clothing.
As you are in this unfortunate predicament Joe, you will also be well aware that repentance alone does not remove this stigma. That is the painful fact.
Joe wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:I think tattoos are disgusting. They make me feel revulsion for the person.
What do you think about, tattoo's, that had been applied before coming to know the church? Is a tattoo a good judgment of a personality, spirituality?
My tattoo's are from times past, and my baptism, and weekly sacriment help me repent for any transgressions : )

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Being overweight just might have its advantages.
I beat anorexia..jpg
I beat anorexia..jpg (66.07 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
Is being too skinny against the WoW?
Too Skinny..jpg
Too Skinny..jpg (77.17 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
How about ill proportioned?
Bob..jpg
Bob..jpg (69.23 KiB) Viewed 4298 times

skmo
captain of 1,000

Re:

Post by skmo »

Even a non member should have enough intelligence to not deface their skin with tattoos.
Those who have done so, display a visible sign to others of their lack of judgement and common sense.
Just as a recommendation, you might want to valet park that high horse and walk amongst the common people more like Christ did.

Your opinions are your own, and you have a right to believe what and how you want, but the kind of absolutist thinking you're showing here is un-Christlike and small-minded. You get your views and opinions from your experience, your culture, and your social beliefs. It's terribly closed-minded to believe your culture is the only one worth having.

There are cultures who believe tattoos are a sign of royalty and great social status. In order to be able to earn the right to be tattooed a person needs to exhibit a high degree of leadership and integrity. Those who wear them are revered for being worthy of that great honor

You do not need to accept these views, but you ought to be aware of them and know you're not the only one who's allowed to have beliefs. I generally share your opinion about tattoos, and most often think they're a mistake, but I understand why others see things differently.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

Last edited by passionflower on November 24th, 2017, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Hi, I'm new.

Re: Re:

Post by Joe »

I personally, would not remove my tattoos, don't regret them and feel that, to tar people with tattoos , is highly narrow-minded,
I will pray for you Elizabeth, to have a softened heart,

Much Love

The Tattooed Millionare

skmo wrote:

Just as a recommendation, you might want to valet park that high horse and walk amongst the common people more like Christ did.

Your opinions are your own, and you have a right to believe what and how you want, but the kind of absolutist thinking you're showing here is un-Christlike and small-minded. You get your views and opinions from your experience, your culture, and your social beliefs. It's terribly closed-minded to believe your culture is the only one worth having.

There are cultures who believe tattoos are a sign of royalty and great social status. In order to be able to earn the right to be tattooed a person needs to exhibit a high degree of leadership and integrity. Those who wear them are revered for being worthy of that great honor

You do not need to accept these views, but you ought to be aware of them and know you're not the only one who's allowed to have beliefs. I generally share your opinion about tattoos, and most often think they're a mistake, but I understand why others see things differently.

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

freedomforall wrote:Being overweight just might have its advantages.
I beat anorexia..jpg
Is being too skinny against the WoW?
Too Skinny..jpg
How about ill proportioned?
Bob..jpg

Or too tall or too short.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Or does physical things backwards.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Prayer is always welcome, but not appropriate in this case, I gave my opinion of tattoos to which I am entitled , you Joe then asked a question to me personally, which I answered, if you did not want an honest answer you should not have asked. It is you who are narrow-minded by expecting others to think as you do and not accept their right to not do so.
Joe wrote: I personally, would not remove my tattoos, don't regret them and feel that, to tar people with tattoos , is highly narrow-minded,
I will pray for you Elizabeth, to have a softened heart, Much Love The Tattooed Millionare
Elizabeth wrote: Even a non member should have enough intelligence to not deface their skin with tattoos.
As you are of course well aware Joe, when and if they realise their foolishness and regret such, then their only remedy is the traumatic choice of removal or to cover if possible with clothing.
As you are in this unfortunate predicament Joe, you will also be well aware that repentance alone does not remove this stigma. That is the painful fact.
Joe wrote:

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

This is a cultural reaction. Some cultures have used them as strong expressions of their faith and connection to god.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

What kind of shape are these two in? What have they been eating?
Rubberboy..jpg
Rubberboy..jpg (107.15 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
Rubbergirl..jpg
Rubbergirl..jpg (99.18 KiB) Viewed 3794 times

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

Some people can't dance, it's not their fault!

kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Post by kennyhs »

freedomforall wrote:Image

OWIE!

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

JOD Vol3: Amasa Lyman, Dec 9 1855 at tabernacle wrote:
Obey the Word of Wisdom. "Do you mean I shall not drink tea, or coffee?" I do not care whether you do or not. I do not consider that you obey the Word of Wisdom, simply, because you do not drink tea and coffee. May be you cannot get it. I have seen the time that I drank it when it was hard to get, and when I did not use it, when I could have got it.

Do not work yourselves to death, but try to live a long time, and learn to run and not weary, walk and not faint. Do you think of leaving off tea and coffee, alone, will enable you to scale the mountains, and outstrip the mountain goat in fleetness. It is just as true that weariness is the consequence of excessive toil as that God lives and reigns. It is manifest in you and me, and in every other part of His work. Keep the Word of Wisdom; and if you want to run and not weary, walk and not faint, call upon me and I will tell you how—just stop before you get tired.

The Word of Wisdom was given for a principle, with promise; as a rule of conduct, that should enable the people so to economize their time, and manage and control themselves, as not to eat and drink to excess, or use that which is hurtful to them; that they should be temperate in all things, in the exercise of labor, as well as in eating and drinking. Clothe yourselves properly if you can. Exercise properly if you can, and do right in everything.

Do not stay the work of improvement and reform to pay attention to small things that are beneath your notice, but let it extend through the entire circle of your being, let it reach every relationship in life, and every avocation and duty embraced within your existence.

Let it affect your thinking, and the feelings which you cultivate, and let there be nothing pertaining to your being but what shall be influenced by it. The Word of Wisdom would itself save you, if you would only keep it, in the true sense and spirit of it, comprehending the purpose for which it was given.

It reaches everything that affects your happiness. Go on then and observe the Word of Wisdom. What does wisdom tell you? Let tea and coffee alone, and abstain from that which would overtax the strength of your system, and favor the innovations of disease, and shorten your lives, and thereby limit the extent of your usefulness.

Study to save yourselves. That which saves your life, and lengthens out your days is salvation. And that which fills out your days with the perpetration of good is salvation—it helps to make up the sum of your salvation.

I want you to look at it in this point of view, and be influenced by the spirit of truth, foster it within the fountains of your feelings, and it will give a good character to your conduct.

This will be living your religion every day, in every thing you do; you will have nothing to do outside of your religion.

Now that you may have wisdom to adopt this course of life, and live to enjoy the blessings that will accrue from its adoption, is my prayer in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
Amen and amen. Do your best to follow this but don't judge others.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

...run and not weary, walk and not faint.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

We are instructed to be fruitful, multiply and replenish the earth. Obesity is associated with infertility. We are instructed to dedicate our time and talents to the building of the Kingdom of God. Obesity kills people prematurely, thus robbing the Church of needed manpower as well as robbing grand-kids their ability to know their elders.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Mormons are 14% more likely to be obese...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/6351 ... avier.html

At least they were back in '06.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

jbalm wrote:Mormons are 14% more likely to be obese...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/6351 ... avier.html

At least they were back in '06.

As for Mormon obesity I would question the assumption that Mormons are more likely to be overweight. Too many are though.