Energy Healing Showdown

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Energy Healing Showdown

Post by iWriteStuff »

There's been a lot of back and forth lately over the topic of Energy Healing, and especially of members getting involved in it. For my own part, I've had very limited exposure to it and what I've witnessed I couldn't really relate to much. Half my inlaws are self described "Reiki practitioners" (whatever that is) and are really into things I'll never be able to endorse like healing crystals and salt pillars with a light bulb in them that are supposed to do some kinda magic cleansing of the air.

I think my biggest hold back from getting involved in energy healing isn't so much the complete weirdness I feel when folks start talking about it as the end-all be-all of cures as it is the complete lack of support I see for it in the scriptures and words of the prophets. Did Jesus heal lepers by realigning their Chakras or by faith and the power of the priesthood? Are devils cast out by the use of crystals or by commanding them in the name of Jesus? Did the apostles increase in faith by prayer and study or by perfecting their yoga poses?

I guess my main question is why some feel the need to replace faith and the priesthood with fringe practices not endorsed in the scriptures? Or have I missed it in my morning studies and the scriptures are actually replete with Reiki healers and magic crystals?

Please, someone illuminate me. I'd love to know if I'm missing out on a good thing here.

In the meantime, some humor:
Attachments
chakra.jpg
chakra.jpg (19.41 KiB) Viewed 5183 times

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Energy Healing Showdown

Post by rewcox »

iWriteStuff wrote:There's been a lot of back and forth lately over the topic of Energy Healing, and especially of members getting involved in it. For my own part, I've had very limited exposure to it and what I've witnessed I couldn't really relate to much. Half my inlaws are self described "Reiki practitioners" (whatever that is) and are really into things I'll never be able to endorse like healing crystals and salt pillars with a light bulb in them that are supposed to do some kinda magic cleansing of the air.

I think my biggest hold back from getting involved in energy healing isn't so much the complete weirdness I feel when folks start talking about it as the end-all be-all of cures as it is the complete lack of support I see for it in the scriptures and words of the prophets. Did Jesus heal lepers by realigning their Chakras or by faith and the power of the priesthood? Are devils cast out by the use of crystals or by commanding them in the name of Jesus? Did the apostles increase in faith by prayer and study or by perfecting their yoga poses?

I guess my main question is why some feel the need to replace faith and the priesthood with fringe practices not endorsed in the scriptures? Or have I missed it in my morning studies and the scriptures are actually replete with Reiki healers and magic crystals?

Please, someone illuminate me. I'd love to know if I'm missing out on a good thing here.

In the meantime, some humor:
Well, your post certainly affected the advertisements that showed up.

I would seek the gifts in Moroni 10:
8 And again, I exhort you, my brethren, that ye deny not the gifts of God, for they are many; and they come from the same God. And there are different ways that these gifts are administered; but it is the same God who worketh all in all; and they are given by the manifestations of the Spirit of God unto men, to profit them.

9 For behold, to one is given by the Spirit of God, that he may teach the word of wisdom;

10 And to another, that he may teach the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

11 And to another, exceedingly great faith; and to another, the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

12 And again, to another, that he may work mighty miracles;

13 And again, to another, that he may prophesy concerning all things;

14 And again, to another, the beholding of angels and ministering spirits;

15 And again, to another, all kinds of tongues;

16 And again, to another, the interpretation of languages and of divers kinds of tongues.

17 And all these gifts come by the Spirit of Christ; and they come unto every man severally, according as he will.

18 And I would exhort you, my beloved brethren, that ye remember that every good gift cometh of Christ.

19 And I would exhort you, my beloved brethren, that ye remember that he is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and that all these gifts of which I have spoken, which are spiritual, never will be done away, even as long as the world shall stand, only according to the unbelief of the children of men.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

......And there are different ways these gifts are administered; but it is the same God who worketh all in all.

I honestly believe that if a person spoke in tongues in your next fast & testimony meeting, 99% of the congregation would put it down as mental illness, or from the devil, without ever asking God if it was from Him.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

The scriptures contain examples of miracles being performed by false priests. I don't have it at my fingertips but Brigham Young gave a great talk explaining how healings and miracles can be preformed by the wrong spirit, and he singled out hypnosis as one of Satan's tools. I'll have to find it.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Lizzy60 wrote:......And there are different ways these gifts are administered; but it is the same God who worketh all in all.

I honestly believe that if a person spoke in tongues in your next fast & testimony meeting, 99% of the congregation would put it down as mental illness, or from the devil, without ever asking God if it was from Him.
Let's pretend that I am the densest person on LDSFF. Let's also not be coy when responding. So are you a supporter of energy healing or not?

I lived in Japan for several years and I have seen reiki practitioners waiting outside busy train stations where they offer to pray for or heal people walking in or out. I have politely declined their offers, but have watched them perform their prayer for others. It is a form of religious practice or ordinance that draws "near to (divinity) with their lips, but their hearts are far from (God)...having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof" because they think they've got something better. (Joseph Smith-History 1:19)

As for the speaking in tongues, there is a tried and true method for testing those experiences and therefore 99% of any congregation need not be deceived. More importantly, what is the purpose of your remark? Are you trying, coyly, to say that 99% of the members of LDSFF are not sophisticated enough to recognize energy healing for what it is? (I'm new here and don't know everyone's history with this topic. I'm not trying to pick a fight, only striving for clarity.)

Finally, the Handbook used by the Church makes it very clear how priesthood ordinances, include priesthood blessings for healing and comfort, are to be performed. Therefore, one must not incorrectly assume that there "are different ways these gifts are administered" because that will lead to a separation from the way designated by He who established the Church.

To be clear, I believe Julie Rowe is misguided at best, and likely involved in fraud as she tries to sell her books and energy healing practice.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Sarah wrote:The scriptures contain examples of miracles being performed by false priests. I don't have it at my fingertips but Brigham Young gave a great talk explaining how healings and miracles can be preformed by the wrong spirit, and he singled out hypnosis as one of Satan's tools. I'll have to find it.
Here is the link to Brigham Young's talk I was referring to: http://jod.mrm.org/3/153" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think what he says applies to the question of Energy Healing.

I was rereading it and there actually is a cool call-out quote for those who believe in that.

"It would be pleasing if all the Saints had strong faith and confidence, but sometimes many seem to falter in their feelings. I do not know how many I might find in this congregation who would have faith enough to believe that we could live on the tops of these high mountains, which are 6,619 feet higher than the Temple Block, in case we were called to go up there and live, and there was no other place for us; I do not know whether a great many in this congregation could have faith to believe that we could live there."

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

I'm actually trained in some energy "healing" techniques, specifically related to mental health. My experience is that these techniques are successful (when they are successful) because the person receiving them believes in it. I have seen that with most any healing technique. I've come to the conclusion that the "energy" related to the power of the priesthood is far more effective and powerful. I've seen the priesthood heal people who had no idea about it such as an unconscious person. Energy healers rely on belief and participation in the process, at least the techniques that I've seen. I think we do have what these healers would term "energy" as our spirit, and that the power that God uses is a type of energy, but it requires His authorization to use. I personally would avoid anyone who says they can heal me with energy, and without the involvement of God. Even healers of other faiths use God and Christ as the power source.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Desert Roses wrote:I'm actually trained in some energy "healing" techniques, specifically related to mental health. My experience is that these techniques are successful (when they are successful) because the person receiving them believes in it. I have seen that with most any healing technique. I've come to the conclusion that the "energy" related to the power of the priesthood is far more effective and powerful. I've seen the priesthood heal people who had no idea about it such as an unconscious person. Energy healers rely on belief and participation in the process, at least the techniques that I've seen. I think we do have what these healers would term "energy" as our spirit, and that the power that God uses is a type of energy, but it requires His authorization to use. I personally would avoid anyone who says they can heal me with energy, and without the involvement of God. Even healers of other faiths use God and Christ as the power source.
Excellent observation, Desert Roses. Does it follow that in the case of energy healing, believing is seeing? In other words, if you believe in it you'll get some kinda benefit but if you see it as hokum then "it profiteth him nothing"? Or put another way, even misdirected faith can be beneficial?

Either way, your main point seems to be as follows: the Priesthood is the energy healing equivalent of a 4,000 watt bulb vs the 40 watt bulb of other energy healing techniques. Is that accurate?

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

iWriteStuff wrote:
Desert Roses wrote:I'm actually trained in some energy "healing" techniques, specifically related to mental health. My experience is that these techniques are successful (when they are successful) because the person receiving them believes in it. I have seen that with most any healing technique. I've come to the conclusion that the "energy" related to the power of the priesthood is far more effective and powerful. I've seen the priesthood heal people who had no idea about it such as an unconscious person. Energy healers rely on belief and participation in the process, at least the techniques that I've seen. I think we do have what these healers would term "energy" as our spirit, and that the power that God uses is a type of energy, but it requires His authorization to use. I personally would avoid anyone who says they can heal me with energy, and without the involvement of God. Even healers of other faiths use God and Christ as the power source.
Excellent observation, Desert Roses. Does it follow that in the case of energy healing, believing is seeing? In other words, if you believe in it you'll get some kinda benefit but if you see it as hokum then "it profiteth him nothing"? Or put another way, even misdirected faith can be beneficial?

Either way, your main point seems to be as follows: the Priesthood is the energy healing equivalent of a 4,000 watt bulb vs the 40 watt bulb of other energy healing techniques. Is that accurate?
Pretty much accurate. Our own beliefs have some real power--hence the often noted "placebo effect". Energy healers just harness that more effectively than doctors with sugar pills!

Mcox
captain of 100

Post by Mcox »

I write. There is so much information on energy healing on this forum. Rosabella knightley has researched this topic extensively. I believe that there is no neutral energy which we can manipulate. Elder Holland said: "there is no neutral ground in the universe,every square inch, every split second, is claimed by God and counter claimed by satan." So to me energy healing is either of God or it is of the devil. If the healing done is of God it will be done in His way and through His power ie. Priesthood. I believe that energy healing is a counterfeit to the power of the priesthood. Search the forum for energy healing there is great info on here:

viewtopic.php?t=21357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I think it's all bunk.
But for the psychological aspect. If you think it will cure your depression, it will.
And in terms of God's power, he may cure or heal me, or it may be that he has decided that my time has come.
I won't know til I find out.
dc

Abinadi
captain of 50

Post by Abinadi »

About 6 years ago I got sucked into "energy healing". I learned how to flow energy through my body and have never been sick since... but the more I focused on energy healing, the more I found the scriptures and gospel of Jesus Christ less and less interesting. Eventually I almost left the church, until I had a "wake-up" call.

I'm not saying that everyone who practices energy healing will leave the church, but at least for me, I found it a stumbling block to my faith in Christ.

The most powerful form of healing comes through our faith in Christ and using the power of the priesthood. Period. Giving a priesthood blessing to heal the sick is energy healing -- through the proper channel. It draws the light of Christ into us and allows us to grow in the gospel, rather than wither on the vine.

I'm not going to quote scripture and condemn those who have found light in their "healing" techniques, but I would ask them to seriously consider if the gospel of Jesus Christ is still sweet to them. I would ask them if their scripture reading is a chore or a joy.

If what they (those who practice some mode of energy work) are doing is bringing more of the light of Christ to them, so be it. But I can honestly say that what happened to me was the exact opposite.

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

I should mention--there are some things that are thought of as "energy healing" that are not--they are based on physiological responses and systems. Acupressure and acupuncture are the two I am thinking of. These actually do work, but while they are based on the body's electrical system (hence, "energy"), they work on principles that are not mysterious, nor requiring belief in them to work.

kathedralegs
captain of 100

Post by kathedralegs »

Let's be careful that we don't turn our backs on gifts the Lord is willing to give us/others for healing that we may not completely understand. Do we look to Him in gratitude? Do we in humility ask for permission to exercise these gifts? Do we give Him all the glory as we try to use these gifts righteously? The Lord blesses us with many things we may not completely understand but if we recognize it comes from Him, and glorifies Him and the healing is done by Him is it evil? Fear is the antithesis of faith. If our hearts desire to do His will then can it be evil? We are fallible and gifts can be misused. There are many, many instances of energy healing, modalities being misused. With that being said, let's be careful about limiting the way God can and does manifest His power and His willingness to bestow tools to help the children He loves. :ymhug:

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

Last edited by bethany on July 29th, 2015, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

bethany wrote:.
Dang! I saw your lengthy post last night and was hoping to read it with a fresh mind this morning :(

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

iWriteStuff wrote:
bethany wrote:.
Dang! I saw your lengthy post last night and was hoping to read it with a fresh mind this morning :(
Sorry. I saved it to repost a bit later for personal reasons. It will be back.

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

I tried to send you a pm but it seems you have disabled your pm's.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

bethany wrote:I tried to send you a pm but it seems you have disabled your pm's.
Oops, yeah, forgot I disabled those. Back on now.

Thanks!

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Bradley Nelson is the author of Emotion Code. Here is some information I found on his credentials and what he is promoting:

http://skepdic.com/nelson_bradley.html

Excerpt from the information provided on Bradley Nelson:
Bradley Nelson is a chiropractor and craniopath who calls himself a "renowned holistic physician and lecturer" and calls his special secrets of healing "the Emotion Code" and "the Body Code." He bases his healing methods on an eclectic union of energy healing, Kirlian photography, applied kinesiology, magnet therapy, and a belief that the unconscious mind records everything one ever experiences and is the key to perfect health and happiness. Like many other healers whose imaginations seem to be their main driving force, Nelson believes there is only one cause and one cure for all illnesses.

Nelson claims to have gained his healing knowledge from a "higher power" through some sort of silent prayer. He begins his webinars and healing sessions with 15 seconds of silence to invoke the help of something "upstairs." He claims his healing crosses many borders. He can heal depression, relationships, and bodies--all with one magical system that can take place in just a few minutes and can be done at a distance.
In reading this, I think he is what we call a 'faith healer', because he apparently is calling upon a 'higher power' to heal people. Does anyone else feel that this kind of 'healing' should not be done for money? To me, if you call down power from God, charging for the service sounds like priestcraft to me.

This is what Julie Rowe is involved in; she is one of their emotion code coaches who have paid money to be certified to perform this 'healing' and she in turn, is paid for using it to 'heal' others. This is one of the problems I have with Julie--I'm not comfortable with someone charging for offering healing power they claim comes from God, it just doesn't sound ethical to me.

ndjili
captain of 100

Post by ndjili »

When you look at what "Emotion Code" is and then look up Dianetics..me thinks his inspiration came from L. Ron Hubbard. Id personally rather not dabble in spiritual gray areas then find out they are really black areas. Being as this stuff comes from occult roots, pretty sure adding Christ to occult teachings and practices doesn't suddenly make it from God.
Last edited by ndjili on August 5th, 2015, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

ndjili wrote:When you look at what "Emotion Code" is and then look up Diabetics..me thinks his inspiration came from L. Ron Hubbard. Id personally rather not dabble in spiritual gray areas then find out they are really black areas. Being as this stuff comes from occult roots, pretty sure adding Christ to occult teachings and practices doesn't suddenly make it from God.
Close! It's dianetics, not diabetics.
Attachments
diabetics.jpg
diabetics.jpg (11.47 KiB) Viewed 4571 times

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I believe you mean Dianetics. Your auto-correct probably incorrectly corrected you ;)

Abinadi
captain of 50

Post by Abinadi »

AI2.0 wrote: This is what Julie Rowe is involved in; she is one of their emotion code coaches who have paid money to be certified to perform this 'healing' and she in turn, is paid for using it to 'heal' others. This is one of the problems I have with Julie--I'm not comfortable with someone charging for offering healing power they claim comes from God, it just doesn't sound ethical to me.
Agreed. It is immoral to invoke the power of God for healing and then demand payment.

But it's interesting to note that Julie is adamant that she is not paid by Bradley to promote the Emotion Code and that when she practices it, she does not charge money. She believes this is one of the many modes of healing that will be performed in the camps, therefore she thinks it is important to learn.

So, I guess the question is... does she receive compensation when she appears on these phone call Group Energy Sessions? Is there any hard proof? Or is it a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" type of deal (Julie appears with the paid energy healers for free and in return she gets more book sales). Her website claims that she is "paring up" with Spencer Watson -- an Emotion Code healer -- but does she receive money from this? Or does it all go to Spencer and Julie is doing it out of the kindness of her heart?

I really would like to know the answer to this. If Julie has directly received money for Energy Healing, then that makes her a flat out liar.
Last edited by Abinadi on August 5th, 2015, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.