Epsom Salt Challenge

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
davedan
captain of 1,000

Epsom Salt Challenge

Post by davedan »

Sulfate is something we don't get enough of in our diets (even organic diet) and it is used everywhere in the body . The Federal Government does not even consider Sulfate an essential mineral. This is because the body can generate sulfate from cystein amino acid in protein. However, the conversion of cystein to sulfate is very expensive in terms of B12, folate, and B6 required. Sulfate is the 4th most abundant anion in the body yet it is not required to be a component in fertilizer and soy and corn protein fed to organic beef are very sulfer/cystein poor sources of protein. Sufate is used everywhere in the body.

1. heparin sulfate = natural blood thinner
2. cholesterol sulfate = major component of brain tissue and cell walls
3. glutathione = major antioxidant of the body (taking Epson Salt boosts glutathione = confers increased protection gainst Radiation exposure)
4. condroiton and glucosamine sulfate = major component of cartillage in joints
5. sulfur vs. nitrogen fixing bacteria in the gut = keeps bowel flora balanced and healthy
6. taurine = sulfonamine component of bile salts (popular additive in energy drinks)
7. sulfate conjugation = the liver uses sulfate to detoxify the body by conjugating drugs and toxic chemicals with sulfate to increase their solubility so they can be safely excreted by the kidney.

Many inflammatory diseases show elevated homocystein. The body can convert cystein amino acid into sulfate when it is deficient in sulfate. The conversion of cystein to sulfate requires multiple vitamins such as B12, folate, and B6. You can lower your homocystein levels with extra B12 and folate but this does not reverse the inflammatory process because elevated homocystein is only a symptom of the real problem of sulfate deficiency. If your body is deficient in sulfate it will cannibalize it from body tissue which results in inflammation and increased homocystein levels.

Take the Epsom Salt challenge by taking 1/4 tsp Epsom Salt dissolved daily. I see 80-year-old and 90-year-old African American's in the ED here in Augusta that are not here for themselves but here with their children who are sick. These healthy elderly African American's who generally are not on any medications or very few, do have some interesting home remedies (vinegar, castor oil, etc), but they all have one thing in common which is Epsom Salt.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Re: Epsom Salt Challenge

Post by davedan »

Funny, people will take all kinds of stuff into their bodies like "essential oils", borax, castor oil, ect ect ect with NO idea what it is doing or how it could help. Yet, I wil explain that it is "generally regarded as safe" to ingest and exactly what sulfate does in the body and how it works and people tend to be naturally resistant.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Also, it is important to remember to avoid certain food preservatives and drugs that counter sulfate metabolism.

Tylenol is converted to NAPQ free-radical in the liver which depletes glutathione and then is sulfated for excretion by the liver. So, you get double the sulfate depletion with tylenol.

Sodium Benzoate- inhibits cholesterol sulfate synthesis

Potassium Sorbate- inhibits white blood cell function and immune system.

These preservates are commonly found in condiments, sauces, and salad dressings.

OnGoing
captain of 50

Post by OnGoing »

Thank you for this!!! I gained 30 pounds weight & inflammation in 3 weeks when I did in-vitro fertilization hormone shots and the toxin-laced "fluff" does NOT come off with diet and exercise. Only when I shut down my digestive system during a fast (multiple 4,5 and 9 day fasts completed) does my body begin to detox, heal and release the edema-like fluid that has afflicted my body. I have a strong testimony of fasting. It is truly "the physician within".

The upside to this frustrating trial has been that I have permanently changed my eating habits for the better. (Meat in moderation, diet high in whole grains, beans, fruits and veggies. Organic grass fed no-hormone meat, farm fresh eggs and discovered I have dairy sensitivity so I use Almond milk.) This way of eating helps me follow the word of wisdom and it also makes food storage easy because I cook with beans and bake with wheat already! Blessings can come in sucky disguises sometimes. ;)

Totally drinking the Epsom salts! Thank you for taking the time to post this! I am always looking to improve my health naturally :)

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Post your results!!

Epsom Salt = Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate = MgSO4.7H2O

Mg: 24 g/mole
SO4: 32 + (16 x 4) = 98 g/mole
7H2O: (16 + 2) x 7 = 126 g/mole
MgSO4.7H2O = 248 g/mole

% Mg = 24/248 = 10%
% SO4 = 98/248 = 40%

Interesting that 1/2 the mass of MgSO4 is water. 1 tsp weighs about 5 gm. Therefore 1 tsp MgSO4.7H2O would contain 500 mg elemental Mg and 2000 mg SO4. (RDA of Mg is 400 mg/day).

1/4 tsp MgSO4.7H2O = would be only 125 mg Mg and 500 mg SO4.

dauser
captain of 100

Post by dauser »

I have selenium and mineral salt licks the mice are getting into.
I have a box of borax.
I have Epsom salt.
I have coconut oil.

What am missing?

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

Epson Salt + Diet Coke = Nasty :D

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Bee Prepared wrote:Epson Salt + Diet Coke = Nasty :D
correction: Diet Coke = nasty!

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

Obrien wrote:
Bee Prepared wrote:Epson Salt + Diet Coke = Nasty :D
correction: Diet Coke = nasty!
correction: Diet Coke = Staff of life, Breakfast of Champions

Lockey
captain of 10

Post by Lockey »

I wonder if you can get the same results by soaking in an Epson salt bath? Because I have a digestive disorder I worry my body won't absorb it if I take it orally.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Davedan, I guess I'm dense, but I'm not getting the sulfate-epsom salt connection.

Also, I thought epsom salts gave a person diarrhea?

Analyzing
captain of 100

Post by Analyzing »

davedan wrote:

Take the Epsom Salt challenge by taking 1/4 tsp Epsom Salt dissolved daily.
Thank you for posting this.

How did you come the 1/4 tsp. recommendation? I am not suggesting it is wrong. I have tried researching the best amount to take. As with most things related to natural health care there are many varied opinions. I have been taking 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. per day. I have not detected any noticeable or negative side effects.

If you have any information or opinion on borax intake I would appreciate your thoughts.

Dlight
captain of 100

Post by Dlight »

I have found that it doesn't matter what you know or tell people, most people want credentials and medicine. If you lack credentials you cannot be taken seriously, and if you have credentials but are recommending something natural you will be scoffed at. After all if curing disease was really that simple we wouldn't have all this medicine right?

Thankfully there is a subsection of society that buys into alternative healthcare and numbers are growing.

I have been using Epsom salt by visiting float pods once each week. It has done a lot, and I'm sure the sulphate helps in addition to the magnesium. It really helps relax my muscles and calm my mind.

Sulphate is amazing, but I think magnesium is a mineral we are all deficient in and is even more vital.

Only issue with Epsom salt add a magnesium source is that it is processed by the kidneys and eliminated rather quickly. A magnesium chloride spray or oral supplement is a good way to make sure you are getting a different source of magnesium that stays in the body longer.