Enemas made of a "composition mixed with consecrated oil"

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Enemas made of a "composition mixed with consecrated oil"

Post by Joel »

More wisdom from Brigham?
Brigham Young's office journal records: "Howard Egan called upon me in relation to Bro[ther] H. S. Sherman discontinuing his services on the western line with him. I told him Bro[ther] Shermans state of health required him to discontinue traveling that he might bestow more attention upon himself and use remedies to entirely cure himself of the piles and tumor he was afflicted with. Howard then left. I told Bro[ther] S. & S. Sherman yesterday that I had been obliged to use a syringe since my sickness in Nauvoo, and now I could not live months without using it; I believe the the [sic] frequent use of it has considerably benefitted my health as I am much better now than I have been for years. I enjoy my food much better that [sic] I used years ago. The use of the syringe strengthens my bowels I am persuaded that in nine cases out of ten the bowels become deranged before the stomach does, and the bowels being deranged soon affect the stomach. I charge the syringe frequently with composition sometimes I mix consecrated oil with it. I have sent for some good olive oil if it can be procured; for the oil the merchants import here is so unpleasant I cannot take it. Another good remedy for the piles is the grease that is attacked to the pizzle [sic] of pig that fat lying near the anus of the animal, this fat is particularly efficacious in the cure of the piles. I gave this remedy with the injections; or rather told my clerk David A. Calder to use these remedies, and he has not been sick since (48) and he was frequently away a few days sick with biliousness and piles. I have my own composition powder prepared it consist of Kyan [sic] pepper, ground ginger, cloves, barberry &c. I will here remark for the benefit of those who may read, that I feel it the duty of all men to take care of their health and use such medicinal remedies as are known to be good, I do not ask the Lord to do for me what I would not do for myself"

http://today-in-church-history.blogspot ... ar-02.html

davedan
captain of 1,000

Re: Enemas made of a "composition mixed with consecrated oil

Post by davedan »

After olive oil has been consecrated it should not be used for any other purpose than for anointing and blessing.

Using an oil enema for constipation is very effective. Substances that work well for an enema include:

soap suds
sodium phosphate (saline)
milk and molasses
mineral oil
glycerin
Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate)

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

davedan wrote:After olive oil has been consecrated it should not be used for any other purpose than for anointing and blessing.

Using an oil enema for constipation is very effective. Substances that work well for an enema include:

soap suds
milk and molasses
mineral oil
glycerin
HUH. Looks like the prophet of the church disagrees with you about the use of consecrated oil. What does that mean? Which one of you is wrong?

OnGoing
captain of 50

Post by OnGoing »

This is random but be careful with Epsom salt enemas for children. A 7 year old boy died a few years ago from one - his body absorbed too much magnesium. I like natural remedies and this warning stuck with me. Had no idea that could happen.

Okay, carry on!

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

davedan wrote:After olive oil has been consecrated it should not be used for any other purpose than for anointing and blessing.
What if Brigham had someone "anoint" him and someone "seal the anointing" and offered a blessing afterwards, would be ok for you?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Maybe this works best if the crown of your head is firmly situated in your a**.
I know people like that.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Obrien wrote:Maybe this works best if the crown of your head is firmly situated in your a**.
I know people like that.
It comes from the Civil Defense training in the sixties.

As far as consecrated oil, it's for the sick...

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

drop and cover!!! I remember those movies.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

soap suds
milk and molasses
mineral oil
glycerin
I have to say I did not expect this response from you. I mean, calling a prophet out for misuse of consecrated oil.... you're on a slippery slope, friend. :-ss

dauser
captain of 100

Post by dauser »

I have heard of coffee enemas...something about it being a liver cleanse.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

For all the die hard Mormons, ^^^ is WITHOUT cream and sugar. And only after the coffee has COOLED.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Is this part of the CIA/LDS torture program? =))

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Fiannan wrote:Is this part of the CIA/LDS torture program? =))
Picture it - BY applying the syringe full of who-knows-what to you-know-where in an effort to stamp out the rising tide of piles and biliousness. That DOES sound like torture.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Well it isn't as weird as what I have heard some weightlifters and boxers do to increase male hormone levels and cleanse their intestines. They will drink urine two or three times a week. The claim is that it works like a natural laxative.

But then if you have access to camels...

http://islamqa.info/en/83423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

[Insert Obrien's favorite curse word here]...my neighbor's camel peed last week. Now I'll have to wait til summer to get a bottle to treat my pimple.

ETA - for clarification, MY camel is a male, and we all know female camel urine is more potent than that of males.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Obrien wrote:[Insert Obrien's favorite curse word here]...my neighbor's camel peed last week. Now I'll have to wait til summer to get a bottle to treat my pimple.

ETA - for clarification, MY camel is a male, and we all know female camel urine is more potent than that of males.

Wonder if that is true for humans: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ecret.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Fiannan wrote:Well it isn't as weird as what I have heard some weightlifters and boxers do to increase male hormone levels and cleanse their intestines. They will drink urine two or three times a week. The claim is that it works like a natural laxative.

No thank you, I'll stay flabby and keep my dirty intestines.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Jules wrote:
Fiannan wrote:Well it isn't as weird as what I have heard some weightlifters and boxers do to increase male hormone levels and cleanse their intestines. They will drink urine two or three times a week. The claim is that it works like a natural laxative.

No thank you, I'll stay flabby and keep my dirty intestines.
I am not sure how this works but this seems like a reasonable alternative:

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

:-o @-)

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

=== wrote:
What if Brigham had someone "anoint" him and someone "seal the anointing" and offered a blessing afterwards, would be ok for you?
In the context of the OP and where the oil went, as long as he was anointed on his head and not anywhere else, that's fine by me :)

Jalden
captain of 50

Post by Jalden »

=== wrote:More wisdom from Brigham?
It used to be common practice to anoint, with oil, the sick or injured part of the afflicted person's body. If your eyes were affected, your eyes would be anointed. If your back was injured your back would be anointed. If your leg was lame it would be anointed. And, if you had hemorrhoids, well, you get the idea. It seems a reasonable practice to me, and it is something that I do in my own home with my own family. It is officially frowned upon by the current church hierarchy however.

They used to anoint every part of our bodies in the temple, you know (and washed them too). But we are much more enlightened, sophisticated, and sensitive these days. So, now we are washed and anointed only symbolically.

Peace

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

This thread topic... =))
Jalden wrote:
=== wrote:More wisdom from Brigham?
It used to be common practice to anoint, with oil, the sick or injured part of the afflicted person's body. If your eyes were affected, your eyes would be anointed. If your back was injured your back would be anointed. If your leg was lame it would be anointed. And, if you had hemorrhoids, well, you get the idea. It seems a reasonable practice to me, and it is something that I do in my own home with my own family. It is officially frowned upon by the current church hierarchy however.

They used to anoint every part of our bodies in the temple, you know (and washed them too). But we are much more enlightened, sophisticated, and sensitive these days. So, now we are washed and anointed only symbolically.

Peace
It makes sense to use various oils for various purposes - on appropriate parts of the body.
Whether a self-proclaimed prophet says so or not. :)
I wish our church involved various healing arts - like aroma therapy, oils, acupressure, meditation/visualization, energy healing, etc.
There's so much to learn - but so much is wasted on worshipping false gods, imo.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Enemas made of a "composition mixed with consecrated oil"

Post by Joel »

They should try Brigham's enema composition

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Joel wrote: June 1st, 2017, 3:53 pm They should try Brigham's enema composition

Have you tried it?

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

If I did anything when I get older I think I rather eat a robot

I wonder if dipping it in consecrated oil would make more effective?