Bring baby to chiropractor?

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
AGStacker
captain of 1,000

Bring baby to chiropractor?

Post by AGStacker »

My wife wants to and I don't. She has torticollis? where she prefers her neck to one side. We have been trying to help her stretch it but my wife still wants to bring her.

Has anyone ever brought their baby, ours is 2-3 months, to a chiropractor? I tend to believe that almost every chiropractor would tell every person alive that they need alignments because that's how they make money and possibly what they actually believe.

I hate the idea honestly. She is a healthy baby girl. Yes she cries because of it but it will slowly become better with time.

Experiences and thoughts?

Also, going to the chiropractor can have dire consequences? IMO why risk it?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Bring baby to chiropractor?

Post by ajax »

I wouldn't. But I have no say in this decision. Best of luck and God bless your baby.

Just for kicks, have you ever read Mencken's Chiropractic?

http://www.chirobase.org/12Hx/mencken.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AGStacker
captain of 1,000

Post by AGStacker »

ajax wrote:I wouldn't. But I have no say in this decision. Best of luck and God bless your baby.

Just for kicks, have you ever read Mencken's Chiropractic?

http://www.chirobase.org/12Hx/mencken.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I haven't but will check it out. I hate "conventional" thinking. Heck, I literally have not had an aspirin, alieve, tylenol, ibprofen and so forth for ten plus years! I just don't do it! My wife thinks it will help. Maybe but the potential risks aren't worth it IMO.

stillwater
captain of 100

Post by stillwater »

My friends took my godson to a chiropractor to help his acid reflux (I think he was about 6 months). He couldn't sleep. The adjustments were simple, gentle, and minimal (more like light tapping than the kind of adjustment I would have imagined). The reflux stopped immediately, and he started sleeping through the night.

They were skeptical, but they can't argue with results.

theBruceGuy
captain of 100
Location: Battling SPECTRE -Sanctimonious People Engaging in Condecending Treament of Remnant Embassadors

Post by theBruceGuy »

My friend in the UK had a baby a few weeks old who cried nonstop. As they walked down their path for yet another visit to the doctor; their neighbor, a chiropractor, said is this the little one who wakes me every night the said let me hold him.

He positioned the baby in his arms, felt along his body and then said, here it is, gave a little movement and the baby started burping and farting but also stopped crying. They never had any problem after that experience.

My friend who used to practice here in Calgary said he did babies all the time and that its very good for them.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

I took my son for 6 months worth of treatment so his spine could grow properly after he was diagnosed with Atlantoaxial Instability. He fell in love with the two doctors in that office and never once had a bad experience with his treatments. So far - no problems with his spine. I would totally recommend it and not be concerned. It's the greedy medical industry that instills fear in us, and gives natural treatments a bad name.

Here's a link to some good research and information on chiropractic treatment for children: http://icpa4kids.org/Chiropractic-Research/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

All of my children have gone to the chiropractor since they were babies. Never a problem. It is very gentle as described above, they just hold the baby and gently push here and there. No more "pops" than if you picked the baby up and got a few little pops from doing that.

Now on the torticollis, has your baby been diagnosed with that? My sister's baby was diagnosed with that when he was 4-5 months old. But then as he didn't improve it was found that he had a much more serious problem. I'm hoping that your baby has got a simple case of torticollis and starts improving quickly. In my opinion this is even more reason to take the baby to a chiropractor.

Strawberry
captain of 100

Post by Strawberry »

When someone suggested I take my baby boy to a chiropractor I was a little skeptical, but I did because the alternative was tubes in his ear. The chiro healed my boy - never another ear infection. Since then I have taken my other babies, most recently my baby girl at just 4 or 5 weeks old. He was very gentle and we've had great success. I also took the baby to a craniosacral doctor. She too was very gentle. I know some people who take their children babies on up for regular adjustments - as often as every month.

MelissaM
captain of 100

Post by MelissaM »

I would absolutely take my kid into a chiropractor for torticolis- seriously would not hesitate. Ususally problems like this in infants are resolved in very few visits. Anything forces from the birth, Vacuum, Forceps, manual rotation, pelvis in one position for too long- think epidural, etc can create muscle tension from misaligned vertebrae resulting in torticollis.

HTH,
Melissa

AGStacker
captain of 1,000

Post by AGStacker »

Thanks guys... makes me feel a lot better. Our baby, is a little angel, has been pretty fussy since day one and we've noticed that she is always looking left and gets upset when her head moves right. This, we now realize, is why my wife had/has trouble breastfeeding her especially on her left side.

My wife is bringing her in at 3.

kathedralegs
captain of 100

Post by kathedralegs »

I know you live in AZ and was going to offer a recommendation but looks like you are all set. I am helping out with some friends baby for the last several months who also had torticollis. She was 4 months old when they took her to a chiropractor a couple times and it helped her. She was also very fussy and difficult and she has calmed down also. Just wanted to add my thumbs up to the idea also.

High Desert
Hi, I'm new.

Post by High Desert »

Coming in late to this post. We have taken several of our babies to chiropractic treatment (we have 8 with version 9 due in May). The 2 that needed the help the most were baby #5, she was born breech and had hip issues as well as club feet. Baby #6 had Torticollis, we started him at 3 weeks, nursing was very difficult on the affected side, but with chiropractic and physical therapy we did at home daily he did amazing. Our pediatrician was amazed at the progress he has made. He still has a slight tip to the left- he is now 7 years old.

Best wishes, having been there it was very hard on me as his mother to cause discomfort/pain to my baby for 3-5 minutes 7-10 times a day. The outcome has been worth it.

Sarah- Rural So. Utah

ElectLady
captain of 100

Post by ElectLady »

I have to add my 2 cents. My husband is a Chiropractor, and I'd of course suggest bringing them to a chiropractor, from birth on- and all their life. Going through birth really takes it toll, even when you are flexible. I have heard tons of stories of how babies and children benefit from chiropractic.

AGStacker
captain of 1,000

Post by AGStacker »

We took our baby once and the chiropractor was very gentle. The second time he cracked my baby's back and pushed her neck left to right rather hard.

I was pretty upset but wasn't there and my wife who herself would frequent his office no longer goes there. I'm okay with him helping her stretch and so forth but not okay with him cracking her back. She's not a construction worker or something. Heck, I've lifted furniture for a substantial period of my life and have never seen a chiropractor.

Our baby is doing better though. Was it the chiropractor or just time? I don't know. I'm just not okay with cracking a babies back

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

AGStacker wrote:We took our baby once and the chiropractor was very gentle. The second time he cracked my baby's back and pushed her neck left to right rather hard.
I was pretty upset but wasn't there and my wife who herself would frequent his office no longer goes there. I'm okay with him helping her stretch and so forth but not okay with him cracking her back. She's not a construction worker or something. Heck, I've lifted furniture for a substantial period of my life and have never seen a chiropractor.
Our baby is doing better though. Was it the chiropractor or just time? I don't know. I'm just not okay with cracking a babies back
When my spine goes out, sometimes seemingly for no reason other than perhaps sleeping "wrong", and especially if I do EFT on it first, I can suddenly wake up in the middle of the night, sit up/ stretch, and it cracks all back into place, then I lie down and fall sleep right away--like the body was setting it up perfectly for me to do that. That mostly happens when it's really bad and I've been trying for a few days (or more!) to get it back right.

I have known people who thought their backs were "fine" but then sounded like the 4th of July when cracked.

There is also Quantum Touch, which often puts things in place without the forced cracking.

Maybe he was too rough, maybe the back was really out of place.

Good to hear the baby is doing better, though. Ours had that problem, too, and compared to what the doctors and physical therapists did... that little crack--while might have not been good--would have been much preferred. (My daughter still hates me to this day for it. :( )

Weved1950
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Weved1950 »

The idea to take your baby to chiropractor is not so bad after all she is perfect in every sense but let your wife satisfy . if she wanted to visit a chiropractor let her do it .

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Not all chiropractor's are the same. I have been to 2 different dr.'s and one of them works MUCH better for my needs. My grandchild who was born way premature went to my chiropractor because of awful reflux. (She was about 6 months old, BUT should have only been 3 months old) The medicine that the doctors put her on was causing other problems. (go figure) I was present and it was a very simple procedure. It made a WORLD of difference, she was able to go off of the reflux meds. Follow your heart.

commonwealth
captain of 100

Post by commonwealth »

I vote in favor of physical therapy instead of chiropractor.