I need a new bed

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.

I need a new bed

Post by Like »

It is time to get another bed, we are going to get a king this time.

I am thinking about a dual king adjustable with thick latex mattresses like the picture above is the route I will go, but I wanted to see if anyone here is totally in love with their bed and would care to share we with me what they got and why it is the best bed they have ever had.

Re: I need a new bed

Post by Like »

JulesGP wrote:LOL I saw the title and was going to offer you one I'm sending to the dump.... =))
:)) My wife would be willing to carry ours to the dump all by herself!!! I really need to pamper her with this next one. She has been tossing and turning a lot this past last year and it is stressing her out.

Have you done any research for your next bed yet?

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

Just don't get anything with memory foam unless you want to start getting a million health problems. Just google it and you'll see.

Post by Like »

keeprunning wrote:Just don't get anything with memory foam unless you want to start getting a million health problems. Just google it and you'll see.

Of course!!! NASA aka the government helped in making the most popular memory foam, Tempur-Pedic, every person I have talked to that has one, hates it!!! Why am I not surprised?!!

If there’s one thing that people know about us, it’s that we’re somehow connected with both NASA and Sweden. How is that possible?

In the early 1970s, NASA developed a pressure-absorbing material to help cushion and support astronauts during lift-off. The material was temperature-sensitive and it evenly distributed body weight. NASA released this material to the public in the 1980s.

Another set of scientists, at the soon-to-be-merged companies Fagerdala in Sweden and Dan-Foam in Denmark, continued development on NASA’s creation. After nearly a decade and millions of research dollars, these “Swedish scientists” perfected TEMPUR material for use in mattresses.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/our-company/our-history.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

Really-most people I know rave about how comfy they are. "like sleeping on a cloud."
But do they realize all their mystery health problems might be stemming from all the chemicals they are sleeping on and breathing? Those things smell so bad. Formaldehyde and benzene anyone?

I don't even care about the comfort anymore, as long as it's healthy! I wish I could afford something real nice like that. Wool would be good for temp control. A lot of the organic beds are made with natural latex, wool, and cotton. That bed you posted looks so nice, wow.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

I've got a tempurpedic now and it's not great, although I sleep better than I have at times in the past. The bed I liked the best was http://www.coasttocoastmattress.com/sim ... tress.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Oh I didn't know how good I had it till it was gone :(. If you're used to a queen size mattress, once you get a king, every time you see a queen, you'll wonder how you ever fit on one of those.

SpeedRacer
captain of 1,000

Post by SpeedRacer »

I had memory foam. It is probably great for people who lie still all night. I have had the sleep number for years. It is wonderful. It could use a better pillow top, but you can get one without and add your own. Individually adjustable, stable between sides of the bed. We love it. I have the CAL king version because kings are not long enough.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

ktg wrote:...once you get a king, every time you see a queen, you'll wonder how you ever fit on one of those.
Especially if you have kids... Some nights I find myself sleeping (laying awake, really) on the very edge of our Cali-king bed.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

You better the sleep number bed, cause Glenn Beck has one! Actually it sounds like a good bed to have.

ndjili
captain of 100

Post by ndjili »

We almost got a sleep number until we starting reading all the problems that they can have..including terrible fungas. We got a latex memory foam with a pillow top...so much nicer than the regular memory foam beds. It is like sleeping on a cloud...though I had a bad back injury and needed a bed that I could sleep on and this works for me.

Post by Like »

keeprunning wrote:Really-most people I know rave about how comfy they are. "like sleeping on a cloud."
But do they realize all their mystery health problems might be stemming from all the chemicals they are sleeping on and breathing? Those things smell so bad. Formaldehyde and benzene anyone?

I don't even care about the comfort anymore, as long as it's healthy! I wish I could afford something real nice like that. Wool would be good for temp control. A lot of the organic beds are made with natural latex, wool, and cotton. That bed you posted looks so nice, wow.
Yes every person know. I am researching latex, it seems it would be comfortable.
ktg wrote:I've got a tempurpedic now and it's not great, although I sleep better than I have at times in the past. The bed I liked the best was http://www.coasttocoastmattress.com/sim ... tress.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Oh I didn't know how good I had it till it was gone :(. If you're used to a queen size mattress, once you get a king, every time you see a queen, you'll wonder how you ever fit on one of those.
Thanks I will look into the bed you linked to. We have a queen and I usually end up hanging off the bed, my wife ends up in a spread eagle position at some point in the night. I sleep like the dead but she some how is never comfortable??? I am sure she will be so much more happy with the king.
SpeedRacerLFF wrote:I had memory foam. It is probably great for people who lie still all night. I have had the sleep number for years. It is wonderful. It could use a better pillow top, but you can get one without and add your own. Individually adjustable, stable between sides of the bed. We love it. I have the CAL king version because kings are not long enough.
The air bed has crossed my mind, I will go check it out.
BrianM wrote:You better the sleep number bed, cause Glenn Beck has one! Actually it sounds like a good bed to have.
:)) I guess his opinion is ok on this subject too, after all he is a LDS with a temple recommend.... That is why I am asking on the LDS freedom forum after all. People with temple recommends are the most trustworthy source. I wonder what Mittens sleeps on?

I wonder if I can find a dual king adjustable with a thick layer of latex on the top of an air bed?

Post by Like »

Ok so I checked out the Simmons Beautyrest, the Select Number and a few others I came across as I was researching beds, thank you everyone for your input. We got the adjustable dual king bed with natural latex mattresses (like the picture above) and tonight will be the first night with the bed. Like ndjili said it feels like being on a cloud. We got the adjustable base because it takes pressure off my lower back. My wife is happy, so that makes me happy!
Last edited by Like on April 28th, 2011, 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

I sleep at a lot of Radisson Hotels and often get the sleep number bed. I have yet to have a good night sleep on one as I can never find "my sleep number". My parents have a tempurpedic and love it but they are expensive. As to sleeping on the very hairy edge of the bed, I can totally relate. My wife and I could sleep on the bed the size of the room and she would still push me to the edge and take all the covers!!!

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

BrianM wrote:You better the sleep number bed, cause Glenn Beck has one! Actually it sounds like a good bed to have.
Avoid the sleep number beds. I have had one for years now, and realized it has caused me a problem. I have looked and looked for mattresses. I agree to avoid the memory foam beds. They are like a water bed, without the baffles. People with muscular pain like them, everyone else will hate them eventually.

So far the best bed I can find it the Intellibed. http://www.intellibed.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone have experience with this mattress?

I'll look into the mattress linked earlier. Thanks for that link.

Post by Like »

Rand wrote: So far the best bed I can find it the Intellibed. http://www.intellibed.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone have experience with this mattress?
I remember laying on one like 6 years ago. I forget what it felt like. When I went looking around I could not find a store that even carries them today. I remember they had 5 stores around where I live at one time (not in Utah) but they have all gone out of business, and I was not going to buy a bed off the internet. I remember my step mother slept on one one time and she said she could hear the gel pockets making noise every time she moved but the comfort was good.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Lol, I haven't slept well in over 10 years.

I'm looking for a new mattress, too.

Since we'll be moving soon, I think I'll just get a harder one--they say it's much better for your back and overall health, and they're much cheaper. Just not too hard--I can't stand that.

Growing up, our cheap mattresses were great.

I'm looking into "grounding" also.

Post by Like »

JohnnyL wrote:Lol, I haven't slept well in over 10 years.

I'm looking for a new mattress, too.

Since we'll be moving soon, I think I'll just get a harder one--they say it's much better for your back and overall health, and they're much cheaper. Just not too hard--I can't stand that.

Growing up, our cheap mattresses were great.

I'm looking into "grounding" also.
I love my new extra firm talalay latex mattress....I have never slept better.....oh yeah the adjustable base is wonderful also!

Daryn
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Daryn »

We bought a Tempurpedic bed about 5 years ago and have been very happy with it. The Tempurpedic reduces pressure points and therefore you don't need to turn as much in bed as normal and it is extremely comfortable. Tempurpedics might cost a lot, but I think they are well worth it. I won't ever consider another type of mattress.

theFireman
captain of 10

Post by theFireman »

ok, this is too funny. radiation 20-55 times normal in japan, no one comments. ask about a bed, and look at the response.complete meltdown in four reactors, containment vessels breached, clouds of plutonium and cesium blanketing the northern hemisphere. no one talking about it. so lets talk about beds. yep. pass the vice grips, i need to pinch myself.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

My wife Jo had a lot of trouble sleeping until we got a king size memory foam mattress. She slept like a champ for her remaining 12 years. She hated leaving home over night, hated not having her bed, she even purchased memory foam pillows. I purchased the mattress off the web, it was a "Temperpedic second" with a slight flaw on the edge of one side. Last year I replaced it with another memory foam mattress, another Temperpedic second, I still sleep great even though it's also a second. We put great looking and comfortable mattress covers over the foam. Both mattresses cost me less than $200 each! The mattress covers was $50 bucks! A good mattress cover protects the foam. The cover we purchased was very easy to clean, we just wiped it off with a cloth dampened with disinfectant, let it dry and made the bed!

Bob

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

keeprunning wrote:Just don't get anything with memory foam unless you want to start getting a million health problems. Just google it and you'll see.
Get Certi-PUR (or Biofresh)--missing at least most of the chemicals.

Dlight
captain of 100

Post by Dlight »

My mom and dad both tried a purple mattress, they are going to buy it to replace their 3000 dollar one, they say its really good, and affordable. Google it!

Oh and I haven't liked my sleep number bed.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Sleep number bed all the way, unless one or both of the following flaws is a deal breaker for you:
1 - cannot sit on the side of the bed and tie your shoes. The side of a sleep number bed is foam, and it collapses under your weight if you're a full grown man.
2 - with a relatively low sleep number, gal on top relations can be an issue. There is no support in the mattress for this kind of raucous behaviour.

Outside of these two issues, sleep number bed rules. I've had one since 2001 and still love it.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

I fell in love with waterbeds in the 70's and I never bothered falling out. For my money, nothing beats a well made waterbed mattress. Because the frames are so simple I've over-engineered the ever-loving crap out of mine, the frame would probably hold elephants walking on it and the deck material has two layers of 3/4 inch marine grade plywood.

One of the things I really disliked about teaching in Alaska was that I couldn't take my waterbed with me. SO glad to back in "The World" so I can have my waterbed back.