TENS machine - home version

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
ChelC
The Law

TENS machine - home version

Post by ChelC »

Okay, so I went to a physical therapist and they used the TENS machine on my neck/back. It was awesome and now I want one at home. Anyone here have a recommendations?

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Re: TENS machine - home version

Post by kathyn »

The VA actually prescribed (and provided) one for my husband. Perhaps you can get a prescription for one?

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

I've had a chiropractor use one on me. It was a big old machine and it did sting on the skin. They didn't use gel, just got the area wet with water.
I had to go to a physical therapist when I was in college and they used one on me that was really good. It didn't sting at all. They used a lot of gel. I think that helps. It was about the size of a walkman.
I decided to look for one and chose a Vital EMS Deluxe. It works pretty good. It really does help injuries heal faster.

highfive
captain of 100

Post by highfive »

I had a chiropractor prescribe one for me. My insurance paid for it, otherwise it would have cost me $500.

2BFree
captain of 100

Post by 2BFree »

TENS units are great for blocking certain muscular and/or skeletal pain but does nothing to repair or enhance regeneration. I have been involved in the development of a micro current device that not only reduces pain but also jump starts the healing process at the cellular level. Pretty amazing stuff. It generates a unique wave form that the body responds to to repair damaged cells and reduce edema/swelling. We hope to have it available in a "patch" form that you can purchase OTC.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I found this one on Amazon that seems to have great reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Experian-Health-S ... 117&sr=8-4

Since I have a $25 copay for each visit, it's pretty cost effective to get one of these for $63! The PT I saw said insurance will cover having someone come by the home and treat me with their portable units, but I'd rather do it on my own time. It's just not enough of an investment for me to consider rearranging my schedule around them.

I'm doing lots of stretches and exercises that I'm thinking will help long term, but so far I'm 3 weeks in to this and nothing has really helped. The TENS unit helped with pain temporarily, and that's really all I want it for.

Post by Like »

ChelC wrote:I found this one on Amazon that seems to have great reviews:

Since I have a $25 copay for each visit, it's pretty cost effective to get one of these for $63! The PT I saw said insurance will cover having someone come by the home and treat me with their portable units, but I'd rather do it on my own time. It's just not enough of an investment for me to consider rearranging my schedule around them.

I'm doing lots of stretches and exercises that I'm thinking will help long term, but so far I'm 3 weeks in to this and nothing has really helped. The TENS unit helped with pain temporarily, and that's really all I want it for.
I am glad you found something that works out the pain. I understand how the pain can be so life consuming.

I was reading some reviews on some other TENS units and one person mentioned they wish they got a unit with 8 electrodes, maybe consider that for yourself.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Hi ChelC. I spent 8 years working in a physical therapy clinic. TENS is an acronym for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. They're made primarily for patients to be able to wear all day long on a relatively low setting. The idea behind them is to stimulate the muscles with electrical impulses to aid in the re-generation process of tissue to facilitate the healing process. The stimulation generates an increase in blood flow to the area which delivers muscles the nutrients they need to repair themselves. Heat is also another factor that aids in the healing process - hopefully they're applying moist heat to the area for at least 20 minutes along with e-stim and then administering ultrasound and then maybe even a 10 minute massage.

If you've got sore muscles, it feels good too - kinda like the 'hurts so good' sensation. If you have insurance, I think you can get a TENS unit through a home medical supply company as long as one is ordered for you by your physical therapist. A lot of times if your therapist thinks you could benefit by having one at home and wearing it all day, they'll order it themselves and show you how it works once it comes in and then your insurance is billed. Not sure what you'd have to pay out of pocket - depends on insurance obviously. I would get a unit that you can attach to a belt or pants pocket with 2 very sticky pads that are about 5-6 inches in length a piece - they cover more area that way. Anyway, fwiw.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

JulesGP wrote:
ChelC wrote:I found this one on Amazon that seems to have great reviews:

ChelC, thank you so much for posting this link! This is an incredible deal! I went to physical therapy for over a year and had one of these used on my muscles for my messed up shoulder and fibromyalgia, I can't believe they are selling one just like it for $63!!
I really like it. I need to get the larger pads as Col. suggested, but it works great.

Toto
captain of 1,000

Post by Toto »

I have been using the Aleve Direct Therapy https://www.aleve.com/aleve-direct-therapy/ for lower back pain due to arthritis. It works really well for me. The gel pads are spendy, and you have to be careful applying them to the device and removing it when you are done. The gel pads only stick well for about three applications for me, but I use a back support belt to hold it in place and get a couple of extra treatments that way. As I understand it, it relieve pain by stimulating your natural endorphin's. Overall, I highly recommend it.