Oil pulling - has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Jason
Master of Puppets

Re: Oil pulling - has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Post by Jason »

charlotte wrote:
thebestsun wrote:I bought some organic expeller pressed coconut oil and it really doesnt even have a taste at all. Just tastes like nothing. Like im just swishing saliva around.
If coconut oil doesn't taste like anything, it's because it's been processed or refined.

Wilderness Family Naturals sells a coconut oil that is both expeller-pressed and refined.

(I for one like my oil not to be messed with, and I only use coconut oil that still tastes like coconut. I believe if you want your oil unrefined you need to look for the word "virgin".)
Best deal I've found on cold pressed Sunflower and Sesame oil is Vitacost.
http://www.vitacost.com/flora-sunflower-oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.vitacost.com/flora-sesame-oil-8-5-fl-oz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best deal on Coconut oil is Green Pasture (you can tell they raise goats from the lingering smell on the containers).
http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Prod ... /index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best deal on Red Palm Oil is Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Palm-Oil-100% ... 560&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you know of better deals I'm all ears....

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I did get around to finally trying sunflower oil. A tad pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Verynice compared to sesame which I have been using.

I got mine at Good Earth which sells a 32 oz. bottle for just under $15.

charlotte
captain of 10

Post by charlotte »

Legion wrote:
http://www.vitacost.com/flora-sunflower-oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.vitacost.com/flora-sesame-oil-8-5-fl-oz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best deal on Coconut oil is Green Pasture (you can tell they raise goats from the lingering smell on the containers).
http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Prod ... /index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Palm-Oil-100% ... 560&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I buy sesame oil on Azure Standard:
http://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/5666/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks to me like a better deal than Vitacost.
A few months ago I bought this oil intending to try oil pulling with it but never did. Since this I came across this thread I started oil pulling again (last time was with coconut oil) and I gotta say, I like the sesame flavor.

Azure Standard also sells a refined sunflower oil that I have never tried.
http://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/8341/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the coconut oil I buy:
http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Co ... 226&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At first it appears that the Green Pasture coconut oil is less expensive, but when I add in the shipping, the Nutiva oil on Amazon is actually less expensive because of the free shipping and the "subscribe and save" option.

Do you oil pull with red palm oil?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

charlotte wrote:
Legion wrote:

I buy sesame oil on Azure Standard:
http://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/5666/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks to me like a better deal than Vitacost.
A few months ago I bought this oil intending to try oil pulling with it but never did. Since this I came across this thread I started oil pulling again (last time was with coconut oil) and I gotta say, I like the sesame flavor.

Azure Standard also sells a refined sunflower oil that I have never tried.
http://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/8341/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the coconut oil I buy:
http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Co ... 226&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At first it appears that the Green Pasture coconut oil is less expensive, but when I add in the shipping, the Nutiva oil on Amazon is actually less expensive because of the free shipping and the "subscribe and save" option.

Do you oil pull with red palm oil?
Yeah I used to buy the Nutiva from Amazon but it used to be $42 with subscribe and save. But Green Pasture was better deal.....I also stock up to spread out shipping. Last time I got 4 gallons. Plus I get other products from Green Pasture like the fermented Cod Liver Oil and Skate Liver Oil (to my knowledge they are the only manufacturer left in the US that produces naturally fermented oil that has the proper balance of Vitamin D, K, and A - other manufactures add synthetic derivatives back into their oils after processing).

Got my Nutiva hemp oil from Amazon...forgot to mention that one for oil pulling. It wasn't too bad.

Yeah I do oil pulling off and on with red palm oil. It irritates my sinuses though so I can't do it day in and day out. Although I've been figuring out that I've been using too much oil and that less is better. Have to give it another try with the less is more approach (been a couple of weeks since I used it last).

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

The last time I went to the dentist she told me that I had a cavity starting to form. My first one. Never had one before. It started to get kind of painful and then on the other side I seemed to be developing one as well. After I started oil pulling I noticed some huge differences. For one, the pain went away. My teeth were definitely getting whiter and my gums looked much healthier and pinker and there was no more bleeding when I flossed in those two sensitive spots. I haven't hardly done it for a couple weeks because I keep getting sick and that kind of goes out the window when Im not feeling well and tired. But I plan to start it again tonight. After only 3 or 4 days doing it twice a day I was noticing big differences. Im definitely a believer.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Jules, trust me, sunflower oil is very easy compared to sesame.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

My sister started doing this a few weeks ago and got great results. She tried getting me to do it, whatever it was, but I was skeptical and didn't pay much attention so I'm still not sure what it's all about (I skimmed and skipped a lot of posts/replies). I guess I'll ask her more about it.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

JulesGP wrote:I ran into this article that includes a 4 part interview with the Dr. He uses coconut oil!! I've been trying coconut oil and it's working out (not making me want to puke.....). I'll have to report on the effectiveness of the treatment after I do it religiously for awhile.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/ar ... ulling.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a great article you linked Jules! Although I have been doing it primarily for oral health, the article implies that it can help pull toxins out of your entire system. It says that it has helped people with chronic fatigue, arthritis, and other problems you wouldn't think of. I'm going to recommend it to a few loved ones suffering from chronic problems - it can't hurt!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Thank you again for this thread OI. I ran out of oil and went a month or two w/o doing it before finally getting over to the health food store. Noticed major difference in oral health....and after back doing it for a week (5-6X) noticed the return of cleaner teeth.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Legion wrote:Thank you again for this thread OI. I ran out of oil and went a month or two w/o doing it before finally getting over to the health food store. Noticed major difference in oral health....and after back doing it for a week (5-6X) noticed the return of cleaner teeth.
I'm glad to have come across the information adn been able to share it with anyone. I'm pleased with the positive results people are seeing.

I did try something that made the experience more pleasant. I added a drop of cinnamon bark essential oil to improve the flavor - VERY NICE and I'm sure you could add any essential oil that is safe to be ingested to flavor to your taste (such as peppermint or spearmint as examples).

I'll admit, even after doing it for a while, I usually don't have a problem with the swishing, but when I spit it out there is a bit of unpleasant aftertaste that I never got used to - for me the bit of cinnamon made it a much more pleasant experience.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

A tablespoon a day?

15-20 minutes? Wow, that's a long time.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Original_Intent wrote:
Legion wrote:Thank you again for this thread OI. I ran out of oil and went a month or two w/o doing it before finally getting over to the health food store. Noticed major difference in oral health....and after back doing it for a week (5-6X) noticed the return of cleaner teeth.
I'm glad to have come across the information adn been able to share it with anyone. I'm pleased with the positive results people are seeing.

I did try something that made the experience more pleasant. I added a drop of cinnamon bark essential oil to improve the flavor - VERY NICE and I'm sure you could add any essential oil that is safe to be ingested to flavor to your taste (such as peppermint or spearmint as examples).

I'll admit, even after doing it for a while, I usually don't have a problem with the swishing, but when I spit it out there is a bit of unpleasant aftertaste that I never got used to - for me the bit of cinnamon made it a much more pleasant experience.
Thank you for the tip!!! I'll give that a shot.

I swish in the shower and rinse my mouth out with water at the end to clear out last of the oil residue.....sunflower oil (safflower also extremely similar and very mild) also really minimizes the aftertaste vs. the others (coconut, palm, olive, sesame, etc).

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

ajax wrote:A tablespoon a day?

15-20 minutes? Wow, that's a long time.
I'm usually around the 5-15 minutes....and see great results.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

I do the same, the shower works well and also doing it during my commute works well (driving alone, not sure the bus or carpooling would work! :-? )

I settled on sunflower oil as well, and like you say it is really mild and not bad tasting, the touch of cinnamon, for me, made it actually quite pleasant.

I also sometimes brush with a non-flouride toothpaste after oil pulling, and brush all over my mouth. I've really tried lots of different things, flossing before pulling, after pulling - not consistently enough to track different results, I was just looking for what felt best. Nothing to suggest in that regard, other than experimenting to see what works best for you.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Original_Intent wrote:I do the same, the shower works well and also doing it during my commute works well (driving alone, not sure the bus or carpooling would work! :-? )

I settled on sunflower oil as well, and like you say it is really mild and not bad tasting, the touch of cinnamon, for me, made it actually quite pleasant.

I also sometimes brush with a non-flouride toothpaste after oil pulling, and brush all over my mouth. I've really tried lots of different things, flossing before pulling, after pulling - not consistently enough to track different results, I was just looking for what felt best. Nothing to suggest in that regard, other than experimenting to see what works best for you.
Finding a decent toothpaste can be a challenge (no fluoride, sodium lauryl sulfate, polysorbate 80, etc etc etc). Not to mention avoiding the fluoride water (which isn't spit out like the toothpaste)....Vitamin D is supposed to help with the teeth (I believe my sudden onslaught of dental issues is a result of drop of Vitamin D to well below normal levels)....got a tip from a good fellow about Niacin supplementation (mainly cholesterol issues though) on Saturday and will be looking more into that.

An Eye Single
captain of 100

Post by An Eye Single »

Been doing this consistently for almost two years now and I gotta say that the best thing to brush with after oil pulling is straight baking soda!

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

We have Dr. Christopher's herbal tooth powder --I'll never use toothpaste again.

And anyone read the "Oil Pulling Therapy" book? May have to add that to my amazon wishlist...

CB

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

bbrown wrote:We have Dr. Christopher's herbal tooth powder --I'll never use toothpaste again.

And anyone read the "Oil Pulling Therapy" book? May have to add that to my amazon wishlist...

CB
I would simply go to the website I linked in the OP - the website warns against anyone selling books etc. regarding this because seriously, it is so simple.

I mean, I guess if you are interested in shelling out dollars to understand why it works or to listen to some expert drone on for pages and pages, go for it.

CassandraGreer
Hi, I'm new.

Post by CassandraGreer »

I'll add my 2 eurocents :)

I regularly do oil-pulling with coconut oil, once if not twice a day, brushing with Weleda's salt/peppermint toothpaste. I wear a anti-tooth grinding mouth guard at night and I put Dr. C's toothpowder in it. I have congentital gingivitus and doing all this keeps it in check. I have no plaque or calculus when I do oil-pulling at least once a day. I collect alternative med books so I have Dr. Fife's book on oil pulling and found it very informative and well written if you want to know some of the very obvious reasons why it is worth doing. More research needs to be done though. On an energy medicine level, a huge number of processes are going on during oil pulling. The type of oil a person uses does matter somewhat depending on any problems being treated. Most people get the full benefit with 15 mins. I do it in the shower in the morning and if a second time, before bed at night.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Glad to see that Dr. Mercola is also promoting OIL PULLING! :D
Plaque-Busting Strategy No. 2: Oil Pulling

The second technique I've been using for the past year is called "oil pulling" with coconut oil, which has reduced my plaque by another 50 percent, allowing me to go two months between visits to the hygienist, instead of one. Oil pulling is a practice dating back thousands of years, having originated with Ayurvedic medicine. When oil pulling is combined with the antimicrobial power of coconut oil, you have one very powerful health tool.

Sesame oil is traditionally recommended, but it has relatively high concentration of omega-6 oils. Therefore, I believe coconut oil is far superior, and, in my mind, it tastes better. But from a mechanical and biophysical perspective, it is likely that both work.

Oil pulling is simple. Basically, it involves rinsing your mouth with coconut oil, much like you would with a mouthwash. The oil is "worked" around your mouth by pushing, pulling, and drawing it through your teeth for a period of 15 minutes. If you are obsessive like me and want even better results you can go for 30-45 minutes. This process allows the oil to "pull out" bacteria, viruses, fungi and other debris. The best time is in the morning before eating breakfast, but it can be done at any time, the important point is to just do it. I seek to do it twice a day if my schedule allows. The used oil is discarded and your mouth rinsed with water. You should not swallow the oil because it's loaded with bacteria, toxins, pus, and mucous.

When done correctly, oil pulling has a significant cleansing, detoxifying and healing affect, not only for your mouth and sinuses but for the rest of your body as well.

Candida and Streptococcus are common residents in your mouth, and it's these germs and their toxic waste products that cause plaque accumulation and tooth decay, in addition to secondary infections and chronic inflammation throughout your body. Oil pulling can help lessen the overall toxic burden on your immune system by preventing the spread of these organisms from your mouth to the rest of your body, by way of your bloodstream.

The potential benefits of oil pulling extend well beyond your mouth. Oil pullers have reported rapid relief from systemic health problems, such as arthritis, diabetes and heart disease. According to Bruce Fife, naturopathic physician and expert in the healing effects of coconut3, the cleansing effect of oil pulling can be understood with the following analogy:

"It acts much like the oil you put in your car engine. The oil picks up dirt and grime. When you drain the oil, it pulls out the dirt and grime with it, leaving the engine relatively clean. Consequently, the engine runs smoother and lasts longer. Likewise, when we expel harmful substances from our bodies our health is improved and we run smoother and last longer."
I was going to post this in the Dr. Mercola thread, but OF COURSE Dr. Jones beat me to it!!! :D ;)

Etosha
captain of 100

Post by Etosha »

Coconut oil and . . . clove, cinnamon and peppermint essential oils

Clove is very antiseptic. One of its principal ingredients – eugenol – can be used to numb gums. Clove is the highest-scoring single ingredient ever tested for its antioxidant capacity on the ORAC scale.

Cinnamon bark essential oil has been produced in Sri-Lanka for over 2,000 years and is among the most antiseptic essential oils.
Peppermint ~ Mentha Piperita

Peppermint essential oil is well known as a digestive aid. Peppermint has been studied for its effect on:
•the digestive system
•support of the liver
•support of the respiratory system
•improve concentration and mental sharpness
•triggering effect on the satiety center of the brain

Thieves (young living) or On Guard (DoTerra)
This is a blend which contains: clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus radiata and rosemary. This proprietary essential oil blend was university tested for its cleansing abilities. It is highly effective in supporting the immune system and good health.

I like using the On Guard - it's got clove and cinnamon and a few others - awsome!

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

So, it has been a while....how is everybody doing with their oil pulling?

I am curious to know if there are any people on this forum that hardly ever get cavities and what your diet is usually like. Please be honest! There is no need to be embarrassed about your eating habits, we all have our trials...

F.Y.I- I once had day old McDonald's french fries wrapped in left over cotton candy from the fair for breakfast. Can't get much worse than that! LOL

FourthHorseman
captain of 50

Post by FourthHorseman »

Thanks for bumping this; I'm very interested in giving it a try!

soberminded
captain of 50

Post by soberminded »

My eight year old came crying one night of a throbbing toothache. I gave him a tablespoon of sesame oil to swish for 5mins. The pain went away and he went back to bed. I also had a nagging pain on my upper left teeth. I oil pull for 15mins, morning and night and it went away. It is amazing. In my case, it does detoxing too.

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

@Cookies

I would fall under very few cavities. The last time at the dentists was when I was 22 and there was no cavities. I did start to get a cavity when I was 31ish when I quit drink Coke on a regular basis. That cavity filled itself in over the past few years and I am back to normal.

My diet before was bachelor style...you know Coke, chewing tobacco, alcohol, processed foods. I rarely brush, and when I quit coke was the first time I started brushing on a regular basis. My diet now is pretty healthy(in my opinion). Made from scratch foods, home grown food stuffs and so forth...still have tobacco and alcohol though less of both.

I think the real deal is this. I like sour things...ALOT. I am not a fan of sweet stuff like candy and suchlike. I eat lemons and limes like oranges. I eat raw cranberries, sour grapes, sour apples, and suchlike on a quasi-regular basis. Between the sour and the irregular brushing, I think it has kept me from getting many cavities.

And just for your information....my teeth might not be white...but they are not disgusting either. Am a pretty firm believer that regular brushing removes all that new teeth your body has been working on...