How I voted and why.

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

How I voted and why.

Post by lundbaek »

I have always voted for those who I believe will most nearly carry out my ideas of good government. Over the years I have had to adjust those ideas to conform to my understanding of the US Constitution as that understanding gradually increased. As a Latter-day Saint I am under special obligation to seek out and then uphold leaders who not only will act with integrity and are wise, good, and honest, as President Hinkley recently admonished us, but who espouse the principles encoded in the US Constitution.

Since I believe both the Republican and Democrat parties are essentially controlled by the same system, the LDGs, I made it a point to get acquainted with and then early vote for Constitution Party candidates where they were on the ballot. I also voted for a couple of Libertarian candidates where no CP candidate was running and their stated ideas of good government parallel mine. The only other votes I cast were for a very few candidates about whom I had some encouraging information. Being only 2+ months in Utah, I know next to nothing about most of the D & R candidates, and felt I had no right to vote for something or somebody I know nothing about.

In trying to judge any candidate I do not rule out any one because of party affiliation. Two congressman who have compiled outstanding records as totally Constitutionalist Congrressman have been Congressman Larry McDonald (D-GA) who served almost nine years in the House of Representatives, fighting for his deeply held belief that the federal government must return to abiding by Christian principles and the Constitution. Today, Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) does exactly the same.