Are you going to vote FOR Proposition #3? (UTAH)

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.

Are you going to vote FOR Proposition #3?

Poll ended at November 19th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 1
creator
(of the Forum)

Are you going to vote FOR Proposition #3? (UTAH)

Post by creator »

Are you going to vote FOR Proposition #3?

See - http://www.votefor3.com/ - for more information.

I just came across information on a proposition that we get to vote on in the upcoming election.

I know the Constitution allows for the building of "Post Offices and post Roads" by the Federal Government... but I feel that with regards to Trax and "public transportation" that should be done by private organizations and not with our tax money - I will most likely vote NO.

How will you vote... and why?

Also, let's discuss what you believe should be the "proper role of government" in regards to roads and transportation.
Last edited by creator on October 20th, 2006, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cboyack
captain of 100

Post by cboyack »

Well, I live in Utah County, so it looks like I will be voting on the "Opinion Question". What the heck is that? Does my vote even go towards influencing policy? Or are they merely trying to take a survey to see how people feel about it?

That site had little to no substantive information on this subject. For example, it said that 87% of the money raised would go towards funding the new service. Where, then, does the other 13% go?

cboyack
captain of 100

Post by cboyack »

Okay, I guess I needed to scroll down. The large gap in white space below the initial paragraphs on the right led me to believe that that was the end of the page. Oops.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Public Transportation

Post by lundbaek »

We've been in Utah only 8 weeks to date, and even though I have registered to vote here, I'm very much in the dark about the Trax issue. Our actual home is still in Mesa, AZ, and we have been confronted with what I think is a similar issue.

I don't know what the Utah State Constitution says that would address the Trax issue. But here are some things that I would factor into any decision I make.

1.) 60 - 68 years ago, when I was a pup, in my home city was based a private bus company, which originally was a private street railway (trolley car) company, which for many profitable years served a good number of large cities and town in the "North Shore" of Massachusetts. It eventually went broke, and was taken over or replaced by a state owned and run company, subsidized by taxpayers. Thus it was paid for twice by riders thru bus fare plus taxes, and once by non-users by taxes. I do not like to be forced to subsidize other peoples transportation. Therefore I opposed the "light rail" system proposed in the Phoenix area.

2.) The "general welfare" clause in the Constitution probably can be used to justify the government building of highway systems, as it expedites flow of people, goods, and services. I may be on thin ice on this side of the issue.

I expect I will vote against Prop. 37