Mark Shurtleff for Senate... Thoughts?

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
creator
(of the Forum)

Mark Shurtleff for Senate... Thoughts?

Post by creator »

"Today, Utah Attorney General, and rumored Senate Candidate Mark Shurtleff... accidentally announced his candidacy for Senate. Attorney General Shurtleff has been rumored to be running against the current seated Senator Bob Bennett in the upcoming election, making this no surprise, but a solid confirmation it would seem."
Read the rest of the article

Just wondering what others think of this? Mark Shurtleff is definitely well-known enough to defeat Bennett... but do you think he's suited for the job? Would he be one to uphold his Oath of Office to the Constitution if elected?

Spence
captain of 1,000

Re: Mark Shurtleff for Senate... Thoughts?

Post by Spence »

I prefer to keep him here. He is doing an excellent job for the most part just sustaining the law, regardless of if he agrees with it. He is currently a firewall against the LDG Huntsman and would be for whoever takes his post in 2012.

1 senator isn't going to make a difference in our everyday lives. But 1 AG will and can have a huge impact. Let Bennett serve another term, hopefully not die, then run Proud2B in 2012. :D

He'll easily defeat Bennett, the problem is, our next AG will be appointed not elected, and they will be in there for as many terms as they wish since that is how the people of this state lean.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

The way I heard him brag about pushing out polygamists from Utah gave me wary feelings about him at one of the conventions. Just another in a line of ego maniacs near as I can see.

SAM
captain of 100

Post by SAM »

ChelC wrote:The way I heard him brag about pushing out polygamists from Utah gave me wary feelings about him at one of the conventions. Just another in a line of ego maniacs near as I can see.
You and I must have been at the same convention, or he puts on that kind of show at all of them.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

I'm worried that we'd be kicking one bum out to put another bum in. I don't know his feelings on the Constitution and true conservatism, but if he doesn't believe in completely limiting government, no more bailouts, classical liberalism, then he's not for me. Times are too crucial. However, Bennett needs to go. He is banking gadianton, IMO, and needs to go!

zion or bust
captain of 100

Post by zion or bust »

I received an email a few months back of a letter or document (I think it was around the time that George Bush visited Utah) from Mark Shurtleff where he endorses the great job that George Bush was doing as President. I couldn't find the email to reproduce here. However, if these are truly his feelings then I don't see that we are getting much of a change here if he is elected. Thoughts?

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I remember that e-mail. It may have already been posted here, let me check.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Based on the content of that letter, I'd praise GWB too! Of course I think he's probably lying through his teeth, but maybe Shurtleff is deceived? I just want that b*&^% Bennett out of there.

zion or bust
captain of 100

Post by zion or bust »

pjbrownie wrote:Based on the content of that letter, I'd praise GWB too! Of course I think he's probably lying through his teeth, but maybe Shurtleff is deceived? I just want that b*&^% Bennett out of there.
I agree. I also want Bennett out of here, especially after his vote on the bailout. But this is how the voting process usually works. People get so mad with the incumbent that they want anyone in there except them. But they just get some other bozo who continues the same garbage (an excellent example is people wanting change after Bush so we get Obama--Bush on steriods). Who is there legitimately out there who would be a good replacement for Bennett?

zion or bust
captain of 100

Post by zion or bust »

ChelC wrote:Yep. Here's the thread:
http://ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... =shurtleff
good job finding that email. That is the one.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

I personally don't think it matters anymore, it's not politics that we should worry about, it's about being prepared for the coming "mighty change" of America and the world, RUReady? :?: :idea:

Spence
captain of 1,000

Post by Spence »

His opening speech was awesome. But we have seen typical moron Conservatives like Hannity and Rush suddenly switch to Ron Paul politics after rejecting him. By your works you shall know him. We'll see if Shurtleff's works match his speech and see if he is principled or will be swayed like a tree in the wind.

iroquois
Hi, I'm new.

Post by iroquois »

I believe he would be a disaster. We need a conservative, nor someone who is interested only in his own ascension. Mark Shurtleff supports illegal immigration. What is worse, he supports the gay agenda and the initiatives they proposed in the last session of the legislature. When we had our marriage amendment on the ballot here in Utah, he opposed it. He went to the gay fundraiser at the home of Bruce Bastian in Orem, Utah. He supports asset forfeiture. He has refused to do anything about the harassment of DCFS against parents in Utah, causing great harm to the authority of parents in their own home and thumbing his nose at the U.S. Supreme Court rulings that parents have a Constitutionally protected "liberty interest" in their children. He has been good on the Second Amendment, while participating in the destruction of the traditional family. He would be worse than Bob Bennett, who is bad enough. My understanding is that we may have a truly conservative candidate soon with the money to run a successful campaign. Let's wait a little to see if we want to support someone with so many problems or someone we really can stand up for and support.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

I had an email exchange with Mr. Shurtleff regarding 'hate crime' legislation a few years ago. I had read the pending bill quite closely and wrote him telling him what I thought were its inherent weakesses, including putting people on unequal ground (Book of Mormon reference).

He emailed back telling me I didn't understand the bill, I obviously hadn't read it; and both he and his experts had given it a thorough analysis and it was good law (this was the bill before the current watered down one was passed). The essence of his tone was arrogance and argument by authority (his), and he conceded nothing regarding what I had written.

Needless to say, he didn't impress me.

I've also been greatly bothered about how his office went after the 'Hansen' (?) boy and family, willing to bring the parents up on kidnapping charges with potential life-time incarceration for trying to find treatments as an alternative to chemo-therapy. Not much understanding of parental rights and individual liberty, on that one, in my view.

However, he does try to enforce the law regardless of how he may feel about it. I believe he has support the right of conceal and carry on state college/university campuses against a lot of oposition. But even in this arena, he falls down when it comes to illegal immigration.

But all-in-all, when you factor in all the points made by other posters above, you're certainly not getting much of an individual liberty-loving Constitutionalist.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

No Bennett, No Shurtleff...

There is a James Williams running, he is on my facebook. Check him out.

The media likes to ignore him and pretend he is not running, that is a BIG clue right there.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 860&ref=ts

http://www.voteforjameswilliams.com/

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

I felt like the way Shurtleff went after the Jensens with their sick child was horrible. The state knows better than the family!!!!!!. Evil over reaching.
Didn't it turn out the family was right in that case?

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Parker Jensen had the same type of cancer my BIL died from (Ewing's Sarcoma). We can all ask him on the other side how enjoyable his treatments were. Because of that experience my husband has sworn that if he is ever diagnosed with something with a low survival rate he will not pursue treatment, but will enjoy the time he has left. Anyhow, that really isn't the point. Someone with no respect for parental rights should be avoided like the plague.

Is anyone else wondering though if Bennett is behind trying to implicate him in the scandal with the Free Capitalist guy whose name is suddenly escaping me...?

2BFree
captain of 100

Post by 2BFree »

Cherilyn Bacon Eagar is the best candidate for Senate to "throw the bum out" Bennett. She is a passionate conservative with similar leanings as rep. Ron Paul. Check her out. She is a mother of 5 and a real go get 'em type of person. She was duped by Mitt and regrets supporting him in the last election. She recently got 32% of a straw poll with Shurtleff with 42% and Bennett with only 26%. She needs our support so I hope you all look into her.

M249Gunner
captain of 100

Post by M249Gunner »

Yes, both Bennett and Shurtleff must go down to ignominous defeat. However, the guy I spoke with at the state convention who was staffing the booth for the Eagar lady didn't understand the importance of fair trade or the importance of nationalism. He didn't understand how important it is to keep certain strategic industried here in the USA. He was one of those free trade jokers. He didn't know that the fed gov was supposed to be financed by import tarrifs and that we had become a wealthy, powerful, and well respected nation while having no income tax. If he represented her views, she still has a lot of learning to do. Especially if she was dumb enough to support Mitt Romney. I think I will keep waiting for someone better. Maybe she would be a step up from Bennett and Shurtleff. But I hate to settle for a little bit better.

2BFree
captain of 100

Post by 2BFree »

Very good points Gunner but as you probably know most of our "re-present-atives" and the majority of the dumb down voting public don't have the foggiest clue as to what you are referring to. Probably most of the forum members here have no clue what you are referring to so it's up to us the small informed minority to educate the minions as to the true purpose of government and the appropriate constitutional methods to fund such especially the Federal leviathan that has been created due to that ignorance. I think Cherilyn is humble enough to "wake up to our awful situation" and learn these things with a little help from us.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Because of the Jensen case and his handling of Warren Jeffs' cases, I don't believe he understands the principles of liberty. I thought the charges against Jeffs were ridiculus, espesially given that the rapist wasn't even in custody. Clearly, Shurtleff's motives were not purely to obtain justice.

He likes to appear at freedom demonstrations and the like, but he'll have to put his money where his mouth is before he convinces me he really understands liberty.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I met Shurtleff when he was running for AG. In my opinion he is as dirty a politician as lived, just based on the brief meeting he had with my wife and I. he is definitely an egomaniac and it is ALL about mark Shurtleff.

That being said he would be an improvement on Bob Bennett. I don;t see how either one will get my vote - likely I will be voting third party in that race.

truthseeds
captain of 100

Post by truthseeds »

2BFree wrote:Cherilyn Bacon Eagar is the best candidate for Senate to "throw the bum out" Bennett. She is a passionate conservative with similar leanings as rep. Ron Paul. Check her out. She is a mother of 5 and a real go get 'em type of person. She was duped by Mitt and regrets supporting him in the last election. She recently got 32% of a straw poll with Shurtleff with 42% and Bennett with only 26%. She needs our support so I hope you all look into her.
I second these sentiments. Here is her site:
http://www.eagarforsenate.com/
She's up to $2,545...help her out if you can. We need to get rid of Bennett, as we all know, and I agree with others here that Shurtleff is dirty. She can pull off a repeat of the Cannon - Chaffetz race...I hope.

JerL
captain of 100

Post by JerL »

From the things that I had seen Mr. Shurtleff do (i.e. endorse McCain for Pres, Officially announce the same day as the Patrick Henry caucus) I have came to the conclusion that he is an opportunist. I'm glad that he has now dropped out.

James Williams is who I am willing to volunteer my time for. In Logan, Ut there was a debate last September between all the potential candidates. It was interesting to hear their responses to the questions. The best question that night came from the host of the "For the people" radio show on KVNU, Tyler Riggs. He asked them to pick a number between 1 and 27, which they all did. Then he then asked them which amendment of the Constitution is was and a brief synopsis of it. No body could answer off the top of their heads but Mr. Williams was the only one to have a Pocket Constitution.

As a side note: There is a group that I haven't read anything about here, that may be key to changing for the better future elections. They are called Ourcaucus, or Independantcaucus, or icaucus. It was started in Utah County by a gentelman who was not satisfied with the choice of candidate for U.S. House of Representatives (Chris Cannon). So he went looking and found Jason Chaffetz. This group is spreading all over the nation. Here in Logan it had quite an affect on the elections for mayor and council. Local icaucus members sent vetting questions to all the candidates asking them their views on the proper role of government. Then the candidates responses determined whom they would support and endorse. They didn't win, but gave those candidates a lot better chance than they would have had without some one backing them. There was a lot of suspicion and misinformation spread about the group. I know the young mother of 2, who was spearheading the effort effort and had worked side by side with her and her husband on other political projects. I feel it is an effort worth supporting and feel it will play an important part in the next election here in Utah and across the Nation.

Here is a link to their website http://www.ourcaucus.com/