Who would you vote for Utah Governor 2010, and why?

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
creator
(of the Forum)

Who would you vote for Utah Governor 2010, and why?

Post by creator »

2010 Utah candidates for Governor are:

Farley M. Anderson, Steve Maxfield - Unaffiliated
Peter Corroon, Sheryl Allen - Democratic
Gary R. Herbert, Greg Bell - Republican
W. Andrew McCullough, Aric M. Cramer - Libertarian

I'm undecided between McCullough, Anderson, or a possible write-in.

Who are you going to vote for?

dennis
captain of 1,000

Re: Who would you vote for Utah Governor 2010, and why?

Post by dennis »

After careful consideration my vote will be for a Write in Brian M, Because He would do the best job for the state. He is not controled by the evil schemers. He is aware of our 'situation' and is actively involved in doing what he can for his state. This will be the second time I have voted for Brian and sincerely hope this time he wins. Thank You for giving me the opportunity to express myself publically I think it might be the only vote I can really feel good About. Hopefully He can get on the ballot next time. That is if there is a next time.

Post by Like »

dennis wrote:After careful consideration my vote will be for a Write in Brian M, Because He would do the best job for the state. He is not controled by the evil schemers. He is aware of our 'situation' and is actively involved in doing what he can for his state. This will be the second time I have voted for Brian and sincerely hope this time he wins. Thank You for giving me the opportunity to express myself publically I think it might be the only vote I can really feel good About. Hopefully He can get on the ballot next time. That is if there is a next time.
Is he old enough?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Mazal wrote:
dennis wrote:Is he old enough?
Good question...

http://elections.utah.gov/asacandidatefor.html

I'm old enough to run for U.S. Congress, but not Senate or President... and not old enough to run for Governor until next year! LOL.

prew
captain of 100

Post by prew »

BrianM wrote:2010 Utah candidates for Governor are:

Farley M. Anderson, Steve Maxfield - Unaffiliated
Peter Corroon, Sheryl Allen - Democratic
Gary R. Herbert, Greg Bell - Republican
W. Andrew McCullough, Aric M. Cramer - Libertarian

I'm undecided between McCullough, Maxfield, or a possible write-in.

Who are you going to vote for?
I was going over the candidates for Governor with my father. We did agreed that Democratic and Republican candidates where not very good. I can not remember why. We weren't sure about the Libertarian candidates. But my dad knew Farley Anderson personally. So based on his personal knowledge of the person, we agreed that was the candidate that we would vote for.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Gary Herbert is really a decent man.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

kathyn wrote:Gary Herbert is really a decent man.
Same has been said for many others that compromised here or there!

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

kathyn wrote:Gary Herbert is really a decent man.
I agree with you, Kathyn. (Now watch the fur fly!!!)

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

My son-in-law works with Gov. Herbert every single day (very closely) and though my son-in-law is a very active Democrat, he really respects the governor.

rei49@a
Hi, I'm new.

Post by rei49@a »

I'm torn between Farley Anderson and Gary Herbert. I know who I'm not voting for, Andrew McCullough. Is everyone aware that he is on the board of directors for the ACLU. He is also a lobbyist for them. It says so on his application of declaration for candidacy. Know your candidates before you vote.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I'm not sure... still. I'm sure Gov. Herbert is a nice person but he doesn't stand for anything. He seems paralyzed to me - as if he needs a few opinion surveys and at least a week to decide where he stands on anything. That doesn't give me much faith. Of course Corroon is out. It seems to me like most libertarian candidates are less about liberty than they are about excusing vices - even when those vices degrade society. I don't know much about Farley Anderson and I'm trying to learn more before I decide whether to give him my vote or choose none of the above.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I hate voting default, but in this race I probably will and will go with Herbert. Better the devil you know.
Coroon is out and I know nothing about the others. Event hough I have strong Libertarian leanings, the Libertarian party leaves a bad taste in my mouth - I have had too many disagreements with them in the past, mostly regarding abortion. In any race that I have no opinion, I WILL vote Constitution Party if that is an option.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

There's no way I'd vote for Herbert.

I think Farley Anderson is the best choice on the ballot.

And I could care less if voting for Anderson means the Republican loses and the Democrat wins, because that's not how principles work - the only outcome anyone should be concerned with is their soul and whether they feel they voted for a good, honest, and wise person that they felt would uphold the principles of Liberty.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Let me know more about why I shouldn;t vote for Herbert. I'll admit I have been a lot more involved with the Senate and 2nd congressional district. Maybe I need to do some death bed repenting and study up on the gubernatorial/sounty commissioner and other races before tomorrow.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Original_Intent wrote:Let me know more about why I shouldn;t vote for Herbert. I'll admit I have been a lot more involved with the Senate and 2nd congressional district. Maybe I need to do some death bed repenting and study up on the gubernatorial/sounty commissioner and other races before tomorrow.
Unfortunately there's not enough time between now and the election for me to be able to dig up all the reasons why I wouldn't vote for Gary Herbert.

One way I would do that is look at all the votes he didn't veto... I don't doubt there are plenty of bills which should have been vetoed that weren't.

One reason I wouldn't vote for him is his getting Utah into the Diebold electronic voting mess, which costs taxpayers a lot more money than the previous method of voting. I specifically recall this because of the situation with Emery County Clerk Bruce Funk who helped expose the hackability of these voting machines, and was subsequently forced out of his elected office, with Gary Herbert doing nothing to help him or his cause.
SL TRIB: Cost for Utah Presidential Primary 'Balloons' from $850k to $3.4 MILLION(!) Due to New Electronic Voting Machines
in August 2005, [Lt. Gov. Gary] Herbert signed a contract with Texas-based Diebold Election Systems for $24.5 million. He paid the tab with a federal grant issued through HAVA.

In return, Utah received about 3,000 voting machines and the technical support to run statewide elections

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Original_Intent wrote:Let me know more about why I shouldn't vote for Herbert.
Here's something a little more solid on why not...

Of all the groups that rank our representatives in Utah I trust the Utah Grass Roots Report Card most... in that Herbert only ranked 71% in 2010 (not worthy of my vote)

Specifics:
http://www.utahgrassroots.org/annual/20 ... ts2010.pdf
http://www.utahgrassroots.org/annual/2010/

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

BrianM wrote:
Original_Intent wrote:Let me know more about why I shouldn't vote for Herbert.
Here's something a little more solid on why not...

Of all the groups that rank our representatives in Utah I trust the Utah Grass Roots Report Card most... in that Herbert only ranked 71% in 2010 (not worthy of my vote)

Specifics:
http://www.utahgrassroots.org/annual/20 ... ts2010.pdf
http://www.utahgrassroots.org/annual/2010/
Highest score since their founding of a Governor - fwiw!

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Mummy wrote:Highest score since their founding of a Governor - fwiw!
Not worth my vote. Not worth my soul.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

BrianM wrote: One reason I wouldn't vote for him is his getting Utah into the Diebold electronic voting mess, which costs taxpayers a lot more money than the previous method of voting. I specifically recall this because of the situation with Emery County Clerk Bruce Funk who helped expose the hackability of these voting machines, and was subsequently forced out of his elected office, with Gary Herbert doing nothing to help him or his cause.
SL TRIB: Cost for Utah Presidential Primary 'Balloons' from $850k to $3.4 MILLION(!) Due to New Electronic Voting Machines
in August 2005, [Lt. Gov. Gary] Herbert signed a contract with Texas-based Diebold Election Systems for $24.5 million. He paid the tab with a federal grant issued through HAVA.

In return, Utah received about 3,000 voting machines and the technical support to run statewide elections
Brian, to my memory, Herbert actually led the charge to get Bruce Funk out of office, flying down w/Diebold officials and presiding in a secret meeting over the issue. Bruce was intimidated to quit. But the next morning, he changed his mind and decided to fight. Never heard what the outcome of the fight was.

Sometime later, I wrote a long letter to my then State Rep. Neuenschwander (sp?) about the hackability of the electron voting method including machines. He was alarmed enough to run it by Lt. Gov. Herbert, who essentially told Neuenschwander that they were going with electronic voting machines despite what anybody had to say about it. He added, if Neuenschwander didn’t like it, he could cobble up a bill to try to stop it or get a petition going.

The apparent fact that he signed a contract w/Diebold for $24.5 million, goes a long way to explain his actions. There was nothing in the Voting Act (of 2002?) that mandated using electronic voting machines; it was just a suggestion. The Fed grant was undoubtedly used as bait to get States to go for the voting machines. Obviously, it was probably easy for him to dismiss warnings about the voting machines and try to quiet Bruce Funk because he had put his neck on the line to obligate the State to use them. But personally, I have to wonder if he had other reasons for doing so.

I don’t trust him, nice guy or not.

Post by Like »

I am not in Utah, however my cousin is and he voting for Andrew McCullough. He thinks he is the only one really for Freedom and dismantling government size and intrusion.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

BrianM wrote:
Mummy wrote:Highest score since their founding of a Governor - fwiw!
Not worth my vote. Not worth my soul.
Mine neither....but I thought it was ironic!

fps.sledge
captain of 100

Post by fps.sledge »

Herbert might be a 'good guy' but doesn't he just maintain the status quo?

btw some crimes of local officials has been brought to his attention that he has completely ignored. As far as Herbert is concerned, he believes in govt intervention and believes all public servants deserve to stay, regardless of their crimes. He obviously wouldn't admit this, but that is exactly how he has reacted to that information brought to his office.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Mazal wrote:I am not in Utah, however my cousin is and he voting for Andrew McCullough. He thinks he is the only one really for Freedom and dismantling government size and intrusion.
That's who I voted for - awesome! :D

Post by Like »

Col. Flagg wrote:
Mazal wrote:I am not in Utah, however my cousin is and he voting for Andrew McCullough. He thinks he is the only one really for Freedom and dismantling government size and intrusion.
That's who I voted for - awesome! :D
That’s cool.

It would be interesting to see the how Heavenly Father is viewing everyone votes. Every one has their own unique feelings and rationalizations when they vote.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Mazal wrote:It would be interesting to see the how Heavenly Father is viewing everyone votes. Every one has their own unique feelings and rationalizations when they vote.
Yes, everyone does have their own "feelings and rationalizations", however we have been given the standard and there are enough scriptures and teachings of the prophets regarding voting and the principles of Liberty that we really should have no excuses for justifying voting for an evil candidate, or one who is not good, wise and honest, and who understands the Constitution and principles of liberty (that is the standard).

I would think that we would only be held accountable for how we thought a person would vote if elected, it's not our fault if a candidate says one thing then does another (unless their past actions demonstrated that they would do this).