Goodbye LDSFF from Bella? Just burnt out from Contention

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Goodbye LDSFF from Bella? Just burnt out from Contention

Post by buffalo_girl »

I'm not quite sure how we can be quite so light hearted with the following post on this thread, but who am I to question? At least there's no contention.

LDSConservative wrote:
ChelC wrote:
Problem is finding a "spiritually sensitive" moderator. I can't imagine trying to moderate all the real and perceived slights in order to keep everyone happy.

and finding moderator's who can moderate "by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness..." (see D&C 121)

I think people generally do pretty well on the forum, though sometimes some struggle with self-moderation and self-governance.
This coming from you Brian? Here is a quote from a PM that YOU sent me!

Quote:
Why isn't there any apostate banning going on? Come on ShawnC, that's what I hired you for!

I wouldn't be opposed to an "apostate bait" discussion to try to get them (if there is any 'them' left) to reveal themselves

Yet when I try to root them out, you defend and reinstate them? Seems odd?!?

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

You are right Buff girl those statement disturbed me too... best to ignore stuff like that though imo

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

I'm willing to bet we don't know the full context of Brians/ShawnC's conversation. Personally, I sensed some humor from Brian in his reply to ShawnC :wink: However, I think we should ban Brian from his own site then ask questions later 8)

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Ooohh yes lets :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

shadow wrote:I'm willing to bet we don't know the full context of Brians/ShawnC's conversation. Personally, I sensed some humor from Brian in his reply to ShawnC :wink: However, I think we should ban Brian from his own site then ask questions later 8)
That's probably the most reasonable thing.

I think you make a good point. It's hard to know what transpired since it's a private message and we could all be taking it out of context. If not though, I think Shawn has reason to feel confused about his purpose.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I would expect that the above exchange may have been about me. I got a "strongly worded" email from Shawn early on saying that I was to cease and desist from some of the types of posts I was doing. I publicized the whole thing on the board and then Shawn disappeared for a good while and has only recently started posting again. So I suspect that I am the bad seed that Shawn rooted out and then got mad when/if Brian vetoed his ban hammer.

And this is total speculation on my part and is probably highly inappropriate to even post, but no less so than the above exchange posted by Master Yoda.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

{carefully stepping out of this conversation while whistling...}

ShawnC
Minion

Post by ShawnC »

Original_Intent wrote:I would expect that the above exchange may have been about me. I got a "strongly worded" email from Shawn early on saying that I was to cease and desist from some of the types of posts I was doing. I publicized the whole thing on the board and then Shawn disappeared for a good while and has only recently started posting again. So I suspect that I am the bad seed that Shawn rooted out and then got mad when/if Brian vetoed his ban hammer.

And this is total speculation on my part and is probably highly inappropriate to even post, but no less so than the above exchange posted by Master Yoda.

This seems to be exactly how you and your type operate. How vain of you to think that this exchange was about you. I hope the Lord does not choose to humble you in the traditional ways for such arrogance.

You lie.

You got a warning from me asking to attack the message and not the messenger. You did NOT post the whole exchange, only complained that your days were numbered on the site because somebody actually asked you to curb what you were saying so as to remain in good standing within the forum rules. Apparently reading so much more into it than really was because of your prideful anger. I posted part of the exchange, after you, only to show the temper tantrum you were throwing. Might I suggest you review the story of Alma, Amulek, and Zeezrom in the Book of Mormon.

Your kind are a dime a dozen. Always the victim! Everyone else is wrong! This is not speculation on my part, I've seen your kind time and again.

Brian can please answer to this if he so chooses. He and I have had our own words. I think there is some double speak going on. If Brian wants to ban me then I ask you to please do so, so that the fewer and fewer voices of reason can continue to be silenced. Otherwise, don't be that guy who contributes to a problem and then just waits long enough hoping that it will just go away. That's how my apostate brother "deals" with problems.

(I suspect there are a few others who will step in to "defend" the arrogance and apostasy at this point. Some of us know who they are, some of them know who they are and what they are doing as well!)

Tired. Signing off. Adieu

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Pot meet kettle Shawn - pot meet kettle.

If that little rant is not an example of prideful arrogance run amok, I don't know what is.

Master Yoda laughs at you for having the presumption of using him as your avatar!

I actually quite enjoyed your posts before the strongly worded warning and subsequent disappearance from the forums.

This is goign to sound terribly uncharitable, but I didn't miss you, and none of your posts since has led me to think you learned anything while you were away. You complain that I was attacking the mesenger and not the message and then go on a full fledged personal attack on me. This is not "poor me, I'm a victim" frankly I could not care less what your opinion of me is - this is just a clear calling out of your hypocrisy. As I said months ago - get off your high horse.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

You're so vain,
You prob'ly think this post is about you,
You're so vain, so vain!
You prob'ly think this post is about you, don't you, don't you?

Have a nice life Shawn - see you on the other side.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

ShawnC wrote:
Original_Intent wrote:I would expect that the above exchange may have been about me. I got a "strongly worded" email from Shawn early on saying that I was to cease and desist from some of the types of posts I was doing. I publicized the whole thing on the board and then Shawn disappeared for a good while and has only recently started posting again. So I suspect that I am the bad seed that Shawn rooted out and then got mad when/if Brian vetoed his ban hammer.

This seems to be exactly how you and your type operate. How vain of you to think that this exchange was about you. I hope the Lord does not choose to humble you in the traditional ways for such arrogance.

You lie.

You got a warning from me asking to attack the message and not the messenger. You did NOT post the whole exchange, only complained that your days were numbered on the site because somebody actually asked you to curb what you were saying so as to remain in good standing within the forum rules. Apparently reading so much more into it than really was because of your prideful anger. I posted part of the exchange, after you, only to show the temper tantrum you were throwing. Might I suggest you review the story of Alma, Amulek, and Zeezrom in the Book of Mormon.

Your kind are a dime a dozen. Always the victim! Everyone else is wrong! This is not speculation on my part, I've seen your kind time and again.

Brian can please answer to this if he so chooses. He and I have had our own words. I think there is some double speak going on. If Brian wants to ban me then I ask you to please do so, so that the fewer and fewer voices of reason can continue to be silenced. Otherwise, don't be that guy who contributes to a problem and then just waits long enough hoping that it will just go away. That's how my apostate brother "deals" with problems.

(I suspect there are a few others who will step in to "defend" the arrogance and apostasy at this point. Some of us know who they are, some of them know who they are and what they are doing as well!)

Grabbing a quote post for posterity.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Original_Intent wrote:
ShawnC wrote:

You lie.

Grabbing a quote post for posterity.
Grabbing it again.....for historical perspective!

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Perhaps ShawnC just has a short fuse. He has taken me to task, too, in times past.

I guess he was made a moderator after I decided I really didn't understand what was expected of me as a moderator and quit. It has been my understanding that a Moderator does just that - Moderates; he/she finds a balance in opposing view points and 'guides' the discussion by means of interpretation, explanation, inquiry, correction when needed, & benefit of the doubt if there appears to be a rumpus over little or nothing.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Original_Intent wrote:Grabbing a quote post for posterity.
Jason wrote:
You're probably aware that as a moderator Shawn can delete both his post and your quotes of his post or any other post he deems unwanted. Any moderator can.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I never deleted a post in the nearly one year I was a moderator.

I believe I only 'red flagged' two and asked Brian for advice on another.

I realize this is a private Forum. Brian can do whatever he chooses to do with it.

I would rather be involved with those who are able to express themselves in a mannerly articulate way even when taking issue with another's point of view.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

shadow wrote:
Jason wrote:
You're probably aware that as a moderator Shawn can delete both his post and your quotes of his post or any other post he deems unwanted. Any moderator can.
I was so tempted to delete this for the great joke it would have been on you... but that's probably an abuse isn't it?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

ChelC wrote:
shadow wrote:
Jason wrote:
I was so tempted to delete this for the great joke it would have been on you... but that's probably an abuse isn't it?
I would've got a kick out of it!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

shadow wrote:
Jason wrote:
Of course.....Brian wiped out 6 months of history for me last year!

Cowell
captain of 100

Post by Cowell »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5074610214#

Although I've never met him, I've always personally really liked Brian - a lot. I think Dr. Monnett sums it up at 2 mins 55 seconds into the video linked above. Any friend of Dr. Monnett's is a friend of mine.

Brian has always made an effort to be fair with me on this forum when other moderators/web administrators weren't so fair. Call me "vain" ShawnC, but I thought your post about trying to root "them" out might have been about me as well! (Because I know you have banned me on more than one occasion and Brian has reinstated my ability to post, despite your efforts!)

What I've gotten out of this thread is...Sometimes WE make too much of a big deal about things.

1) I think Bella and mackej made too big of a deal about "contention" on the forum in general in this thread. I agree there is contention...but this "he said, she said" stuff - and "good-bye world..." - and "there are better forums than this one" thing - has all been a bit too much for me.

2) I think we're being a little hard on Brian. Actually, that's an understatement. I think we're making WAY TOO big a deal about this PM to ShawnC. Brian does an excellent job staying out of everyone's business and facilitating a great platform for us to have discussions. Okay, SO he contemplated giving someone enough rope to hang themselves on this forum. (Sounded like an interesting proposition to me, frankly.) In the end, let's remember, this is nothing more than a big blog we all come to hang out on sometimes. So who really cares? I've probably done about 15 worse things today, including not waking up on time. Maybe because our interaction with Brian is so limited, some of us just don't know how to interpret the above. I think everyone knows I openly bait people into revealing their true colors all the time on this forum. Why should I have all the fun? Just because Brian is the "webmaster," I don't see why this prevents him from getting in on the action if he wants! But no matter how you look at it...please relax a little, it's not such a big deal.

3) ShawnC made way too big a deal by even bringing this PM issue up.

4) ShawnC's post to O_I was likely the most thoughtless and rude post I have ever read. Complete disregard and carelessness for O_I's forum membership and his feelings. I suppose ShawnC is not competing for the "spiritually sensitive moderator" position.

5) Fifth and last, if I got anything out of the exchange between Brian and ShawnC it goes back to what I've said a number of times. WE MAKE WAY TOO BIG A DEAL ABOUT APOSTASY on this forum. It's a little overboard. You guys really think there are apostates who have infiltrated this forum? That is a very strong word and it is used very freely on this forum.

Time for everyone to take a deep breath and relax I think.
Last edited by Cowell on March 24th, 2010, 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

For the record I appreciate brian greatly and any comment made above that imply otherwise were made in jest. About the post between him and shawn I was disturbed a little by it buyt not to the point it really affected me or changed my opinion of either of them. Like you said it was taken out of context.

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

buffalo_girl wrote:I'm not quite sure how we can be quite so light hearted with the following post on this thread, but who am I to question? At least there's no contention.

LDSConservative wrote:
ChelC wrote:
Problem is finding a "spiritually sensitive" moderator. I can't imagine trying to moderate all the real and perceived slights in order to keep everyone happy.

and finding moderator's who can moderate "by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness..." (see D&C 121)

I think people generally do pretty well on the forum, though sometimes some struggle with self-moderation and self-governance.
This coming from you Brian? Here is a quote from a PM that YOU sent me!

Quote:
Why isn't there any apostate banning going on? Come on ShawnC, that's what I hired you for!

I wouldn't be opposed to an "apostate bait" discussion to try to get them (if there is any 'them' left) to reveal themselves

Yet when I try to root them out, you defend and reinstate them? Seems odd?!?
Truthfully, laughter and humor help smooth out a lot of contentions and end others.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Cowell's good sense puts us to rights.

I hope you saved your six months of posts in a personal file, Jason.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

buffalo_girl wrote:Cowell's good sense puts us to rights.

I hope you saved your six months of posts in a personal file, Jason.
Nope! Its all gone...few bits and pieces of threads survived like Codex Alimentarius....but all my posts are gone.