Goodbye LDSFF from Bella? Just burnt out from Contention

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Goodbye LDSFF from Bella? Just burnt out from Contention

Post by Mark »

Mosby wrote:Well, I may as well weigh in- even though I realize that this two-dimensional conversation may not allow me to fully express my feelings correctly - or be miss understood by others.

I'm very well aware that I may be one of those who could be guilty of "bringing contention" in the eyes of others, I accept this perception. However I have never meant to offend or bring contention, now that being said I've had some really good very spirited "debates" with folks like Mark, PJ and I think way back in the past maybe even Aussie.

I don't harbor any ill feelings towards anyone here, actually I respect those three a lot- because we have "gone the rounds" and at the end of the day I realize that we are all on the same team- inspite of the fact that we have never shared a group hug, or sent each other Pm's with care bears involved. Now those guys may think I'm a world-class jerk, and in the case of Mark I've probably said some things that I shouldn't have- but that's ok I know that we are all striving for the same things here in different ways.

I love what Buffalo girl said earlier about contention being "passion" - I totally agree. We are all passionate about our own pet topics here- so the passion/contention is there. I think it important to remember that passion/contention is in the eye of the beholder at times.

I'm not trying to offend anyone with my next statement, but it's something I've always held from early in my life. "How can anyone "offend" you- unless you allow yourself to be "offended"?
My Dad taught me this early on and it has stuck with me. Who cares what someone else "says" or "does" to me- they have the free-agency to act properly or improperly, and I have the agency to act or be acted upon. I think that this is one of the key concepts of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
It's easy to love those who are "nice" to us- but that's really not what we are here on earth to do.

Brigham Young once said "only a fool takes offense where none was intended, and only a great fool takes offense where offense was intended".

I hear you Bella - and others who feel the "contention" here- is it here?
Maybe? Yes it is- and no it's not

An old man sat at the edge of a small city and was engaged in conversation by a weary traveler:
"Old man, can you tell what kind of people live in your city"? Well, answered the Old man -"how are the people in the city from whence you have traveled"?
"they are horrible, evil, rude and lazy Godless people- that's why I am leaving that place" answered the traveler.
"I am saddened to say my weary friend replied the Old man, you will find the same sort of people in this city"

Later in the day a young woman came down the same path and asked the Old man, "Kind sir, perhaps you may tell me what sort of people live in the town at your back"
again the Old man asked " daughter, how are the people in your city of origin"?
"Oh, they are wonderful, kind, loving - some of the best people on earth- I am saddened to leave them"
"Well my lovely friend, you will find exactly the same kind of people within the gates of our city"

Hey Bro. I just wanted to say that I have never harbored any ill feelings toward you or Aussie or anyone else here after our "spirited" discussions we have had. About the only thing we really disagree on at times is the manner in which Satan and his minions are going about doing their dirty work. Big deal. When it comes to our desire to build the kingdom and support our dear Prophets and defend spiritual truths I am sure we are two peas in a pod. Those are the things that matter the most to me anyway. Heck I am a ward missionary in CA. Many people I meet would love to see me dangling by my toes at the end of a pier half submerged in shark infested waters. This forum is a cake walk in comparison. :lol:

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

MercynGrace wrote:deleted - because it sounded much more snarky than I intended it.
Hey, I liked it and didn't find it snarky at all.

MercynGrace
captain of 100

Post by MercynGrace »

serenitylala wrote:
MercynGrace wrote:deleted - because it sounded much more snarky than I intended it.
Hey, I liked it and didn't find it snarky at all.
I don't think it is a truth ready to be received at this juncture.

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

It is hard to speak anything when feelings are so hurt.

I think that these ladies here who's delicate feelings are hurt, have darling ways about them that make them so delicate.

And yet, I hope that my words won't be taken wrong. I am one to like delicateness in women and wish that I myself was more delicate in manner and tone.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

serenity=one of the boys

;)

njb

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

Mark wrote: Hey Bro. I just wanted to say that I have never harbored any ill feelings toward you or .............:
exactly. and i think most people here are similar

the only thing is as serenity properly identified a few posts up, how do we cater for those walking a finer plan than us here?

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

notjamesbond003.5 wrote:serenity=one of the boys

;)

njb
Hey! I resent that. ;) Just kidding.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

:!:
Last edited by SmallFarm on March 23rd, 2010, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

SmallFarm wrote:Hey it's not just the girls who are sensitive :cry:
hehe I just think we all need a big group hug get over here Aussie yer first
Ahhh! Just make sure when we all hug that us shorter people aren't stuck in someone else's arm pits.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Last edited by SmallFarm on March 23rd, 2010, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squally
captain of 1,000

Post by Squally »

Mosby wrote:Well, I may as well weigh in- even though I realize that this two-dimensional conversation may not allow me to fully express my feelings correctly - or be miss understood by others.

I'm very well aware that I may be one of those who could be guilty of "bringing contention" in the eyes of others, I accept this perception. However I have never meant to offend or bring contention, now that being said I've had some really good very spirited "debates" with folks like Mark, PJ and I think way back in the past maybe even Aussie.

I don't harbor any ill feelings towards anyone here, actually I respect those three a lot- because we have "gone the rounds" and at the end of the day I realize that we are all on the same team- inspite of the fact that we have never shared a group hug, or sent each other Pm's with care bears involved. Now those guys may think I'm a world-class jerk, and in the case of Mark I've probably said some things that I shouldn't have- but that's ok I know that we are all striving for the same things here in different ways.

I love what Buffalo girl said earlier about contention being "passion" - I totally agree. We are all passionate about our own pet topics here- so the passion/contention is there. I think it important to remember that passion/contention is in the eye of the beholder at times.

I'm not trying to offend anyone with my next statement, but it's something I've always held from early in my life. "How can anyone "offend" you- unless you allow yourself to be "offended"?
My Dad taught me this early on and it has stuck with me. Who cares what someone else "says" or "does" to me- they have the free-agency to act properly or improperly, and I have the agency to act or be acted upon. I think that this is one of the key concepts of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
It's easy to love those who are "nice" to us- but that's really not what we are here on earth to do.

Brigham Young once said "only a fool takes offense where none was intended, and only a great fool takes offense where offense was intended".

I hear you Bella - and others who feel the "contention" here- is it here?
Maybe? Yes it is- and no it's not

An old man sat at the edge of a small city and was engaged in conversation by a weary traveler:
"Old man, can you tell what kind of people live in your city"? Well, answered the Old man -"how are the people in the city from whence you have traveled"?
"they are horrible, evil, rude and lazy Godless people- that's why I am leaving that place" answered the traveler.
"I am saddened to say my weary friend replied the Old man, you will find the same sort of people in this city"

Later in the day a young woman came down the same path and asked the Old man, "Kind sir, perhaps you may tell me what sort of people live in the town at your back"
again the Old man asked " daughter, how are the people in your city of origin"?
"Oh, they are wonderful, kind, loving - some of the best people on earth- I am saddened to leave them"
"Well my lovely friend, you will find exactly the same kind of people within the gates of our city"

Great post Mosby

ChelC
The Law

Re: Goodbye LDSFF from Bella? Just burnt out

Post by ChelC »

Bella wrote: I am going to avoid situations that bring contention into my life for I have been told not to. I am going to focus in Building the Kingdom of Zion and not allowing myself to be pulled into interactions that drain me of the Light of the Holy Ghost. Debating and arguing in the manner that is done on this site is not the way of the Lord.
I think the key is that the Spirit is telling YOU not to. Our Father in Heaven is aware of individual needs, of individual qualities, of individual purposes in life. I'd avoid believing that simply because the Spirit has told you to leave, that those of us who don't feel that way lack the same spirit or are simply making excuses for contention.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I think that these ladies here who's delicate feelings are hurt, have darling ways about them that make them so delicate.

And yet, I hope that my words won't be taken wrong. I am one to like delicateness in women and wish that I myself was more delicate in manner and tone.
There are many varieties and gradients of 'delicateness & sensitivity'. Does the Lord have a particular preference? Compassion, empathy, understanding, courage, steadfastness, endurance, ability to see what needs to be done & doing it, loyalty, artistic gifts, insight, ability to heal physical, emotional, & spiritual wounds,....can also be found in women - as well as in men.

Delicate & sensitive aren't the only virtues available to the Sisters in ZION.

patriotsaint
captain of 1,000

Post by patriotsaint »

I've refrained from posting on this thread, mostly because I'm probably considered a rabble-rouser to some extent, but I've decided to post a few thoughts after all.

1. I like the debate on this site. If one of my opinions doesn't stand up to some healthy "peer review" (supported by the prophets and scriptures of course), then maybe it's time to re-evaluate my position. Posters here have helped me to refine my views on a number of issues.......THANK YOU.

2. Disagreement doesn't necessarily equate to contention. Even the brethren have differences of opinion. Now I know that some of my prideful posts have been absolutely contentious, but I think too many people choose to get their feelings hurt when someone doesn't automatically embrace one of their closely held viewpoints. I've seen many disagreements on this forum that were not heated at all. I wish all the debates were that way, but we happen to be imperfect people and we're going to put our collective feet in our mouths once in a while. That's life.

3. If someone desires to leave this site, why post a bunch of drama about it? This is the kicker for me.......instead of quietly choosing to go their way, some choose to cast stones at others on this site. To me this is hypocritical. If I ever get tired of being here, I will simply stop posting and move on.....no hard feelings. To do otherwise is a ridiculous plea for attention in my opinion.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Last edited by SmallFarm on March 23rd, 2010, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

can we find a room where we_can_provide what you and others are looking for? i do respect that we can and should provide that place...BRIAN??
Very rarely have I followed any of the topics under this heading - Spiritual/Religious Secret Combinations. I know there are SC's & I know how ugly that pit of snakes is. The whole occult dealio isn't something I care to pursue as a course of study or debate.

I can't help but observe that this particular heading is dominated with topics initiated by Bella. She seems to have a following.

http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewforum.php?f=32

These topics appear to be her forte. So...if the more spiritually sensitive members of the Forum need a place to go where they can be 'safe' from contention, why not cordon off Spiritual/Religious Secret Combos topics having to do with the occult, gifts of the spirit, magic wands, energy circles, trudging trolls, lucifer, evil movies, the anti-Christ, etc. for those with an interest and knowledge of such inquiries?

Those of us who like to butt heads over politics & religion can just stay away.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

buffalo_girl wrote:
can we find a room where we_can_provide what you and others are looking for? i do respect that we can and should provide that place...BRIAN??
Very rarely have I followed any of the topics under this heading - Spiritual/Religious Secret Combinations. I know there are SC's & I know how ugly that pit of snakes is. The whole occult dealio isn't something I care to pursue as a course of study or debate.

I can't help but observe that this particular heading is dominated with topics initiated by Bella. She seems to have a following.

http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewforum.php?f=32

These topics appear to be her forte. So...if the more spiritually sensitive members of the Forum need a place to go where they can be 'safe' from contention, why not cordon off Spiritual/Religious Secret Combos topics having to do with the occult, gifts of the spirit, magic wands, energy circles, trudging trolls, lucifer, evil movies, the anti-Christ, etc. for those with an interest and knowledge of such inquiries?

Those of us who like to butt heads over politics & religion can just stay away.
I got in trouble today for being too blunt. I think you beat me. :D

Problem is finding a "spiritually sensitive" moderator. I can't imagine trying to moderate all the real and perceived slights in order to keep everyone happy.

Cowell
captain of 100

Post by Cowell »

ChelC wrote:Problem is finding a "spiritually sensitive" moderator. I can't imagine trying to moderate all the real and perceived slights in order to keep everyone happy.
I'll volunteer.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I'll volunteer.
Perfect.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I nominate Aussie, do I hear a second? :lol:

Mosby
captain of 1,000
Location: Mosby's Confederacy in the deep South of the People's Republic of Utah

Post by Mosby »

I will second Aussie- but only if Mark agrees to be his back-up :wink:

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

ChelC wrote:Problem is finding a "spiritually sensitive" moderator. I can't imagine trying to moderate all the real and perceived slights in order to keep everyone happy.
and finding moderator's who can moderate "by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness..." (see D&C 121)

I think people generally do pretty well on the forum, though sometimes some struggle with self-moderation and self-governance.

Cowell
captain of 100

Post by Cowell »

It's actually not a bad idea to give someone like Aussie or Mark the specific responsibility of laying the smack down on anyone who messes with discussions deemed particularly "sensitive." And then they could actually regulate on each other when necessary. I'll second that vote!

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Cowell wrote:It's actually not a bad idea to give someone like Aussie or Mark the specific responsibility of laying the smack down on anyone who messes with discussions deemed particularly "sensitive." And then they could actually regulate on each other when necessary. I'll second that vote!
The only problem is that in the past when Mark was invited to be a moderator, at the recommendation of other moderator's, he never responded to the invitation.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

What, is Cowell too articulate? I think he would be perfect, absolutely perfect.