Goodbye LDSFF from Bella? Just burnt out from Contention

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
ShawnC
Minion

Re: Goodbye LDSFF from Bella? Just burnt out from Contention

Post by ShawnC »

LDSConservative wrote:
ChelC wrote:Problem is finding a "spiritually sensitive" moderator. I can't imagine trying to moderate all the real and perceived slights in order to keep everyone happy.
and finding moderator's who can moderate "by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness..." (see D&C 121)

I think people generally do pretty well on the forum, though sometimes some struggle with self-moderation and self-governance.

This coming from you Brian? Here is a quote from a PM that YOU sent me!
Why isn't there any apostate banning going on? Come on ShawnC, that's what I hired you for!

I wouldn't be opposed to an "apostate bait" discussion to try to get them (if there is any 'them' left) to reveal themselves.
Yet when I try to root them out, you defend and reinstate them? Seems odd?!?

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Wow! That's a really 'creepy' post, ShawnC!!!

Does this mean that the Forum is designed to 'catch' those considered apostate?

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Quoting ShawnC:
Why isn't there any apostate banning going on? Come on ShawnC, that's what I hired you for!

I wouldn't be opposed to an "apostate bait" discussion to try to get them (if there is any 'them' left) to reveal themselves.
[/quote]

I am opposed to covertly "baiting" people and I object to "apostate baiting" on this forum, if this is going on.

?

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I'm trying to bite my tongue, but Brian I gotta agree with Shawn on this. If you desire to clean this place up from apostate style messages you are entitled and should not be ashamed - it's your site. BUT, I can see now why Shawn has been so frustrated in his moderator position if he's getting these kinds of mixed messages and I don't think baiting people is an honest way to go about reaching your goal of cleaning up the site. I prefer bold rudeness to sneaky baiting and public humiliation.

Mosby
captain of 1,000
Location: Mosby's Confederacy in the deep South of the People's Republic of Utah

Post by Mosby »

whoaa.........baiting and catching???

I stand against this practice- unless there are fish involved :lol:

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

ShawnC wrote:
LDSConservative wrote:
ChelC wrote:Problem is finding a "spiritually sensitive" moderator. I can't imagine trying to moderate all the real and perceived slights in order to keep everyone happy.
and finding moderator's who can moderate "by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness..." (see D&C 121)
I think people generally do pretty well on the forum, though sometimes some struggle with self-moderation and self-governance.
Brian, I won't crucify you, deny the benefit I've enjoyed by being a member of this forum, or abandon it over one private message sent to one person. Perhaps your message was sent in haste, in a moment of frustration, or responding to demands and pressures that people aim at you as the one who had the vision and good will to establish this forum in the first place.

ShawnC, although it peaked my curiosity to read the private message you received from Brian, perhaps any disagreements, including a gentle rebuke by reminding Brian of his earlier message to you, should have been done privately.

I don't write either of you off. You are anxiously engaged in good causes, and I believe that in your heart of hearts, you desire to help others. We all say things in haste, things we mean and don't mean. Things we may regret. Things that when recalled later, may cause us to rethink our own hearts. I agree with others that it is probably not a good idea to deliberately "apostate bait," as we are all still in a fallen/falling state to varying degrees. Apostates will make themselves known without any special prompting, and perhaps, then, we should still approach them "by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness..." After all, God loves them and wants them (all of us) to correct our courses.

Brian, thanks for the forum and your efforts to sustain it and improve it. I'm sorry if it behaves like a wicked step-child at times.
ShawnC, I love your posts, along with so many others on this forum, and I look foward to learning even more from all of you.

Perhaps, it wasn't my place to stick my nose in here. I'm sorry if I offend anyone by doing so. Feel free to delete or moderate this post/thread as you see fit.

MercynGrace
captain of 100

Post by MercynGrace »

DrJones wrote: I am opposed to covertly "baiting" people and I object to "apostate baiting" on this forum, if this is going on.

?
Trying to ensnare people stands in stark opposition to the Savior's admonition to reprove betimes with sharpness and show forth afterward an increase of love.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

I can see that now is the time to seize the moment. Carpe diem! I am not interested in being some peon moderator. I'm looking to take over this rudderless ship. Divide and conquer baby. Your days are numbered Brian. Vote for Pedro. (Marcos) :idea:

Squally
captain of 1,000

Post by Squally »

Say it aint so?

:lol:
Last edited by Squally on March 23rd, 2010, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I'm looking to take over this rudderless ship. Divide and conquer baby.
Yeah, it's as simple as the gorgeous blond pitting two stupid guys against each other. While they pound each other into the dirt, she paints her fingernails. No contention there!

or... the Hegelian Dialectic where the real power sits back and laughs while we idiot 'cannon fodder' blow each other to pieces thus providing fertilizer for their golf courses.
Last edited by buffalo_girl on March 23rd, 2010, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

buffalo_girl wrote:
Yeah, it's a simple as the gorgeous blond pitting two stupid guys against each other. While they pound each other into the dirt, she paints her fingernails. No contention there!

or... the Hegelian Dialectic where the real power sits back and laughs while we idiot 'cannon fodder' blow each other to pieces thus providing fertilizer for their golf courses.
I don't know why you won't say what you really think! :lol:

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

buffalo_girl wrote:
Yeah, it's a simple as the gorgeous blond pitting two stupid guys against each other. While they pound each other into the dirt, she paints her fingernails. No contention there!
So Mark is a gorgeous blond? Whoda thunk? That explains why he prefers BBQ'd turkey over beef :idea:
Mark and his (her??) turkey
Mark and his (her??) turkey
mark.jpg (5.22 KiB) Viewed 2205 times

Mosby
captain of 1,000
Location: Mosby's Confederacy in the deep South of the People's Republic of Utah

Post by Mosby »

I can see that now is the time to seize the moment. Carpe diem! I am not interested in being some peon moderator. I'm looking to take over this rudderless ship. Divide and conquer baby. Your days are numbered Brian. Vote for Pedro. (Marcos)
So it's a Coup? I'm onboard Mark- that is- provided I get a good job in the new regime :lol:

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Although it's been here forreevveerrr, for some reason it had never caught my attention until today. My only reaction is -- "you gotta be kidding, right -- almost five months to say goodbye?" Where I come from, people say "It's time for someone to stick a fork in it."

And this, from another post I just made, amazingly enough, on another thread with a very similar theme: I've been a member of this site for a little over two years. I've enjoyed it, learned from it and many of those who post here, including Bella, and have felt like it has served a useful purpose in my life. . . . BUT, the reality is, people come and go. Issues come and go. Topics and threads come and go. It seems like there's a dust-up like this about every six months. Some of those that I have enjoyed most in that amount of time don't seem to come around much any more. I spend a lot less time here than I use to. It happens for a variety of reasons. Many times topics that newcomers want to discuss were completely worn earlier by those who were here before. After a while, when they see that it's essentially the same old thing, they start to lose interest.

And, there are always those who don't really understand the concept of "discussing." Some think they and their position are right about everything. Others feel like they are being personally attacked if anyone takes any issue with their position. The same kinds of issues exist in my ward. Like I tell my wife, most people just need to grow up.

notjamesbond003.5
captain of 1,000

Post by notjamesbond003.5 »

Funny thing is Bella is still lurking..someone from the Illuminati PMed me and told me so..
:wink:

njb

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

Dang. I'm disappointed in a lot of you.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

I'll second that.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

:!:
Last edited by SmallFarm on March 23rd, 2010, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

SmallFarm wrote:
kathyn wrote:
I'll second that.
Is thirding overkill? I'll soften it by saying I'm disappointed in myself as well

Judge not, lest ye be judged.... eh, you know the rest of the scripture. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

:!:
Last edited by SmallFarm on March 23rd, 2010, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

SmallFarm wrote:You win plus one touche I quit

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah! I win! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just kidding.

Squally
captain of 1,000

Post by Squally »

serenitylala wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah! I win! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just kidding.
I love it! :lol: Serenity, you never lose do you! :D

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood but I feel like I'm in high scool and got dissed by the cheerleaders.
Maybe I still just have that chip on my shoulders I don't know.

I come here for a little bit of light... lately it's just made me depressed. :cry:
Maybe I don't belong here.... nothing new to me.

Mosby
captain of 1,000

Post by Mosby »

small farm- I think you are great, seriously.

You are welcome at my fire anytime :wink:

P.S- beware of folks talking about care bears and group hugs now :lol:

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

Squally wrote:
serenitylala wrote:

I love it! :lol: Serenity, you never lose do you! :D
:lol: :lol: Never! Bwahahahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: