4 Mormon Missionaries Relocated After Trying To Baptize Boys Without Parental Consent

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
kennyhs
captain of 1,000

Re: 4 Mormon Missionaries Relocated After Trying To Baptize Boys Without Parental Consent

Post by kennyhs »

butterfly wrote:If you read the report of the incident in the OP, it makes it sound like the missionaries were acting as sexual predators. The article isn't so much concerned about the kids having permission from parents to be baptized, but rather talks about 2 boys being lured by missionaries with candy and soda to a church building/ temple and then being told to get naked in order to be "baptized."
Unfortunately, that's what some want to believe, they take joy in lending their opinions with a cold heart. Remember, how you judge is how you will be judged.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: 4 Mormon Missionaries Relocated After Trying To Baptize Boys Without Parental Consent

Post by Joel »

To be fair Mexico does has a large Catholic following I can understand how sex abuse is a valid concern in the minds of the people there. The boys were ask to change their clothes; I am sure a Missionary would be in the bathroom changing their clothes also. I can see why the boys would be afraid of a situation like that without their parents not being there. Who knows, maybe their parents taught the boys to look out for situations like that....

There has been recent news of a 3rd lawsuit against the LDS Church over sex abuse.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

kennyhs wrote:
butterfly wrote:If you read the report of the incident in the OP, it makes it sound like the missionaries were acting as sexual predators. The article isn't so much concerned about the kids having permission from parents to be baptized, but rather talks about 2 boys being lured by missionaries with candy and soda to a church building/ temple and then being told to get naked in order to be "baptized."
Unfortunately, that's what some want to believe, they take joy in lending their opinions with a cold heart. Remember, how you judge is how you will be judged.
Just to clarify, I am not stating my opinion here. I thought that maybe those who aren't familiar with reading in Spanish would want to know that the article from Mexico presents a different view than the article in English.
The English one focuses on how the elders didn't have permission to do the baptism.
The Spanish one focuses more on the elders endangering children in a sexual way.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Missionaries in Mexico have had this problem for a looooong time. That is, about being portrayed as homosexual sexual predators. It's the easiest way for Satan and his to inhibit/ stop the work.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Col. Flagg wrote:
Lizzy60 wrote:I have heard that in some missions the pressure to baptize is insanely intense. Perhaps they felt it was worth the risk, rather than face the humiliation of not reaching goals set by their leaders.
What I was thinking. No missionary should ever feel pressure by his/her district/zone leader or MP to baptize a specified # of people in a given time frame! It is not about numbers, it is about planting seeds!!! Heck, they aren't even required to be missionaries... they are volunteering on their own time on their own dime for crying out loud! MP's who make missionaries feel guilty because they didn't get enough converts/baptisms should be sent home and released themselves and I guarantee our Savior would be the first one to do it. #-o If I had to guess, I'd say the vast majority of MP's who behave this way are concerned more with the reflection on themselves for low numbers by missionaries and how it makes them look to the brethren... which is a sad testament also. :(
Unfortunately baptism numbers being the focus of a MP efforts is an all too common occurrence.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

butterfly wrote:Just to clarify, I am not stating my opinion here. I thought that maybe those who aren't familiar with reading in Spanish would want to know that the article from Mexico presents a different view than the article in English.
The English one focuses on how the elders didn't have permission to do the baptism.
The Spanish one focuses more on the elders endangering children in a sexual way.
Thank you for clarifying that, and for sharing what the Mexican article was saying. Those are two widely different spins.