Halloween is of the Occult.

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Halloween is of the Occult.

Post by Elizabeth »

I can already envision the flippant replies to this topic from those who excuse it's practice as "worldly fun" which they themselves are attracted to. It is however my strong conviction that Halloween is of the occult and cannot in any way be compatible with true Christian faith, nor should Halloween be entertained, entered into, nor celebrated in any way by a professing Christian.

Occult Affiliation
Church members should not engage in any form of Satan worship or affiliate in any way with the occult. “Such activities are among the works of darkness spoken of in the scriptures. They are designed to destroy one’s faith in Christ, and will jeopardize the salvation of those who knowingly promote this wickedness. These things should not be pursued as games, be topics in Church meetings, or be delved into in private, personal conversations” (First Presidency letter, Sept. 18, 1991). http://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2- ... s/21.4#214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

karend77
captain of 1,000

Re: Halloween is of the Occult.

Post by karend77 »

Halloween is also thought to have been heavily influenced by the Christian holy days of All Saints' Day (also known as Hallowmas, All Hallows, and Hallowtide) and All Souls' Day.[16] Falling on November 1 and 2 respectively, collectively they were a time for honoring the saints and praying for the recently departed who had yet to reach heaven. By the end of the 12th century they had become holy days of obligation across Europe and involved such traditions as ringing bells for the souls in purgatory and "souling", the custom of baking bread or soul cakes for "all crysten christened souls".[17] It was traditionally believed that the souls of the departed wandered the earth until All Saints' Day, and All Hallows' Eve provided one last chance for the dead to gain vengeance on their enemies before moving onto the next world.[18] To avoid being recognised by a soul, Christians would wear masks and costumes to disguise themselves, following the lighted candles set by others to guide their travel for worship the next day.[18] Today, this practice has been perpetuated through children guising (trick or treating).[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it started as as an early type of Christian celebration but has been perverted to it's current state by greed and wickedness. It always made me a tad uncomfortable. Our kids were not allowed to dress up as monsters or evil type characters. Our wards/stakes never did anything, but the elementary schools always made a big deal about it.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Shall we discuss Christmas and its origin? We celebrate Christmas at church every year with a ward dinner and activity.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

coachmarc,
I quote your avatar where you state you are: "My own worst enemy "...
which seems appropriate to your above comment.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I won't argue that, Sarah. ;)

My comments, however, are always only geared to make people think. Very seldom are my posts fickle or random. Now what can you tell me about about the origin of Christmas?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

SARAH Ward wrote:It is however my strong conviction that Halloween is of the occult and cannot in any way be compatible with true Christian faith, nor should Halloween be entertained, entered into, nor celebrated in any way by a professing Christian.
Agreed, it's a satanic holiday.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

BrianM wrote:
SARAH Ward wrote:It is however my strong conviction that Halloween is of the occult and cannot in any way be compatible with true Christian faith, nor should Halloween be entertained, entered into, nor celebrated in any way by a professing Christian.
Agreed, it's a satanic holiday.
Disagreed. Any holiday is what you make of it. I'm not going to accuse little old ladies making pumpkin cupcakes for the ward cake walk of being devil worshipers, because they aren't doing anything of the sort. It all comes down to intent. I'm sure there are those out there that do a lot of things we would consider to be Christmas like but in reality they are celebrating the pagan holiday of Yule. (for the record I wouldn't accuse them of devil worship either, but that is because I try to be slow in judging others).
I don't have a problem with SARAH using her discretion and doing what she thinks is right either. :)

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

I love Halloween, but I'm a Witch! ( no comments necessary)! :p

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

SmallFarm wrote:
BrianM wrote:Agreed, it's a satanic holiday.
Disagreed. Any holiday is what you make of it. I'm not going to accuse little old ladies making pumpkin cupcakes for the ward cake walk of being devil worshipers...
I agree with you too :) It is what we make of it, for sure. I don't judge anyone for enjoying Halloween.

Challenge: Try carving a pumpkin and NOT getting possessed by a daemon.

Gad
General of Ignoramuses

Post by Gad »

I think is another one of those Romans 14 applications.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

If it was LDS doctrine to shun and run away from any occasion or symbol that Satan had corrupted then Satan could just make every day and occult holiday and eveything an occult symbol and there'd be nothing left.

Instead it is LDS Doctrine that Satan corrupts and does not create. Therefore, what LDS are expected to do is take our positive holidays and symbols back and sanctify them and (if useful) return them to their original positive commemoration.

So on All Hollows Eve, LDS can dress as their favorite Book of Mormon character and enjoy a fun clean event with family or other LDS youth instead of dressing up as something goulish.
Last edited by davedan on July 8th, 2012, 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MelissaM
captain of 100

Post by MelissaM »

Gad wrote:I think is another one of those Romans 14 applications.
I love Romans 14.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

coachmarc wrote:My comments, however, are always only geared to make people think.
Hey, hey -- HEY! Stop that! The original post was simply designed to provoke a response and to cast scorn. No reason to get started on this thinking business.
coachmarc wrote:Very seldom are my posts fickle or random. Now what can you tell me about about the origin of Christmas?
I think the Relief Society started it to make crafty pine cones and felt boards.

inkasquinka
Hi, I'm new.

Post by inkasquinka »

All I can say Is candy, candy, candy and more candy. I have yet bent my knee to the devil, only the candy makers! :)

wolfman
captain of 100

Post by wolfman »

Christmas was a pagan holiday. The decorating the tree and the whole 9 yards. As pagans became converted to Christianity they thought "hey our old pagan traditions were pretty fun but they were wrong so lets celebrate Christ and change the meanings of all this stuff"
Jehovah Witnesses do not celebrate xmas for this very reason. I personally believe Gods judges you on your intent not the origins of something.

X is also a substitute in Greek for Christ so xmas is not disrepecting Christ, it refers to HIm.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

If we were living 100% like God would have us live (Zion, worthy/able to have Him dwell with us/etc.), I wonder what the holy days/holidays would be. I seriously doubt that one of them would include terrifying movies about murders, or glorifying gore. I also seriously doubt that one of them would be all about worshiping a fat man who enslaves short people, and who gives gifts to the spoilt rich kids more than to the humble poor kids.

Yep. Christmas was a pagan holiday - in honor of the days of the year beginning to lengthen.

Aren't all true holidays supposed to center around Christ? Not ghouls, psychotic rabbits that lay eggs, fat men who sneak into people's houses, greed, gluttony, etc.?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

wolfman wrote: Jehovah Witnesses do not celebrate xmas for this very reason. I personally believe Gods judges you on your intent not the origins of something. X is also a substitute in Greek for Christ so xmas is not disrepecting Christ, it refers to HIm.
From my understanding the use of X crosses out the Christ in Christmas.

Alpine
captain of 100

Post by Alpine »

I don't see a problem with celebrating evil stuff. We do it all the time in our culture! (human culture) =))

Seriously I want a chance to dress up now and then, so if we get rid of Halloween then let's make a new holiday. One that lets us have fun with fear and spooky stuff. I love making "haunted houses" and startling people. I think it is good to face our irrational fears sometimes. I would not say celebrating fear but looking at it and feeling it without shame. I mean the world is scary so having an approved forum for showing fear is healthy. I also like trying to recreate a cool costume from a movie or just inventing one.. and speaking of which, who does not like a day where adults can dress up and pretend to be someone else? A good costume requires a lot of creativity, even of you are trying to recreate a look.

There is and can be a lot of evil stuff about Halloween but like everything else it is what you make of it. Or maybe I am just still possessed from last year, I did carve a nice pumpkin!

I guess I just like Halloween :-S
Last edited by Alpine on July 8th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolfman
captain of 100

Post by wolfman »

Not sure where the rabbit came from but the egg symbolizes "new life" (resurrection)

wolfman
captain of 100

Post by wolfman »

SARAH Ward wrote:
wolfman wrote: Jehovah Witnesses do not celebrate xmas for this very reason. I personally believe Gods judges you on your intent not the origins of something. X is also a substitute in Greek for Christ so xmas is not disrepecting Christ, it refers to HIm.
From my understanding the use of X crosses out the Christ in Christmas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

I did carve a nice pumpkin!
I love carving the Eye of Sauron into my pumpkins :ymdevil: :))

Better yet - I love making pumpkin-chocolate chip cookies & bread afterwards! =p~

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

wolfman: I rarely consult Wikipedia, the powers that be there are notoriously anti LDS.

As regards their article attempting to excuse and promote crossing Christ out of Christmas, personally I write and speak English, not Greek ;)

Alpine
captain of 100

Post by Alpine »

HeirofNumenor wrote:
I did carve a nice pumpkin!
I love carving the Eye of Sauron into my pumpkins :ymdevil: :))

Better yet - I love making pumpkin-chocolate chip cookies & bread afterwards! =p~
evil! :p

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

which? the pumpkin carving, or the treats? :ymsmug:

Alpine
captain of 100

Post by Alpine »

HeirofNumenor wrote:which? the pumpkin carving, or the treats? :ymsmug:
Both but especially the treats =p~