Sleep Paralysis or Dark Spiritual Encounter.....You Decide!

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
Zkulptor
captain of 100

Re: Sleep Paralysis or Dark Spiritual Encounter.....You Deci

Post by Zkulptor »

Eva wrote:
I've experienced this, and so has my wife ( when we were both single) I truly believe using the power of the Priesthood, and calling upon the Lord's name through prayer can stop this. I do not wish to derail the thread, but just last night I had a dream and in it I was being attacked by some evil beings, I put my arm to the square and they could not harm me or those with me.... the feeling of security while performing this is unlike anything I've experienced. I recurrently have dreams in which I tend to use the priesthood by raising my arm to the square, has anyone experienced this?
YES!
I have not had any experiences since praying with my arm to the square.
Hi Eva, I assume you are woman ( sorry I don't know everyone here).
I remember being taught that women could also do this in certain situations while at the MTC , and call upon the power of the priesthood for protection, my questions is, just how do they go about it? do they just call upon the power of the priesthood ( Melchizedek) or their husband's or father's ? just curious, thank you.

Mary
captain of 100

Post by Mary »

Last edited by Mary on September 25th, 2012, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

Zkulptor wrote:
Eva wrote:
I've experienced this, and so has my wife ( when we were both single) I truly believe using the power of the Priesthood, and calling upon the Lord's name through prayer can stop this. I do not wish to derail the thread, but just last night I had a dream and in it I was being attacked by some evil beings, I put my arm to the square and they could not harm me or those with me.... the feeling of security while performing this is unlike anything I've experienced. I recurrently have dreams in which I tend to use the priesthood by raising my arm to the square, has anyone experienced this?
YES!
I have not had any experiences since praying with my arm to the square.
Hi Eva, I assume you are woman ( sorry I don't know everyone here).
I remember being taught that women could also do this in certain situations while at the MTC , and call upon the power of the priesthood for protection, my questions is, just how do they go about it? do they just call upon the power of the priesthood ( Melchizedek) or their husband's or father's ? just curious, thank you.
Simply, raise your arm to the square and command in the name of the Lord.
If you have the priesthood, you may also add "By the power of the... which I bear and in the name... I command you to depart."

Repeat, then pray, pray, and pray some more. Watch and feel as the angels respond and the evil is cast out.

Mary
captain of 100

Post by Mary »

Last edited by Mary on September 25th, 2012, 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

I haven't seen anyone comment that not all people are sensitive in this way. Some are, most are not. It is one of those gifts that can be seen as a curse. It makes you, as Eva stated, more sensitive to the Spirit beings from both sides of the spectrum.
I do not have such, and am glad I do not.
I agree this is a spiritual event. Since I do not have such a gift, nor have had such experiences, I won't lend opinion on more. But I do know that gifts make us more sensitive, as does personality style.

If you are familiar to the enneagram, type six's are typically more sensitive than other types. Almost all psychics are 6's. Fours can also be very sensitive.
Righteousness, the priesthood and faith are your protection. Stay "on" the strait and narrow, not near it.

Zkulptor
captain of 100

Post by Zkulptor »

Eva wrote:Taken from a website discussing Women and priesthood:

"All priesthood is Melchizedek; but there are different portions or degrees of it. The priesthood bestowed in the temple is the same priesthood given by the laying on of hands, but it is a fullness of that authority and embraces all other authorities, appendages, and offices."
- Prophet Joseph Smith, The Words of Joseph Smith, Brigham Young University Religious Studies Center, 1980, page 59

Women receive the priesthood in the temple

From the temple endowment

Why do women in the temple wear the Robes of the Priesthood? I think the answer is clear. Endowed women have the priesthood! Not only do they wear the priesthood emblems in the temple, but they also wear the priesthood garments outside of the temple.

The temple sealing ceremony also makes reference to the priesthood when it seals upon both the man and the woman "the blessings of kingdoms, thrones, principalities, powers, dominions and exaltations, with all the blessings of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob..". This power is the priesthood, as reference to all the blessings of Abraham indicates.

"It is a precept of the Church that women of the Church share the authority of the priesthood with their husbands, actual or prospective; and therefore women, whether taking the endowment for themselves or for the dead, are not ordained to specific rank in the priesthood. Nevertheless, there is no grade, rank, or phase of the temple endowment to which women are not eligible on an equality with man."
- James E. Talmage, The House of the Lord (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1912), p. 94.

"If a woman is requested to lay hands on the sick with her husband or with any other officer holding the Melchizedek Priesthood, she may do so with perfect propriety. It is no uncommon thing for a man and wife unitedly to administer to their children, and the husband being mouth, he may properly say out of courtesy, 'By authority of the holy priesthood in us vested.'"
- Prophet Joseph F. Smith, Improvement Era 10 (February 1907), page 308.

Wilford Woodruff's namesake son, just ordained a priest, was about to begin his duties. The future Church president summoned his family on 3 February 1854. "His father and mother [Phoebe Carter Woodruff] laid hands upon him and blessed him and dedicated him unto the Lord" (Wilford Woodruff Jr. Journal , 4:244) On 8 September 1875, George Goddard recorded a similar incident about his sixteen-year-old son, Brigham H. On his birthday, "his Mother and Myself, put our hands upon his head and pronounced a parents blessing upon him."

John Taylor on "The Order and Duties of the Priesthood" reaffirmed that women "hold the Priesthood, only in connection with their husbands, they being one with their husbands"
- Apostle John Taylor, Journal of Discourses, 21:368

Women have joined men in giving priesthood blessings to men:

In 1873, Apostle George A. Smith, then a member of the first presidency, travelled with a party of Mormons, including Lorenzo Snow, his sister Eliza, Feramorz Little and others, to the Holy Land. At a stopover in Bologna, Italy, he felt ill. "I became fatigued and dizzy," he wrote in his diary. "I got into a carriage and returned to the hotel. On arriving at the hotel I found myself so unwell that I requested Bros. Snow and Little and Sister Eliza to lay hands on me."
- George A. Smith, Diary, 9 January 1873, holograph, CA.

Women also used to give priesthood blessings to women, using consecrated oil:

In 1849 Eliza Jane Merrick, an English convert, reported healing her sister: "I anointed her chest with the oil you consecrated, and also gave her some inwardly .... She continued very ill all the evening: her breath very short, and the fever very high. I again anointed her chest in the name of the Lord, and asked his blessing; he was graciously pleased to hear me, and in the course of twenty-four hours, she was as well as if nothing had been the matter."
- Jane Merrick Journal and Letters 1849, page 205

If women do not receive the priesthood in the temple, why then were black women banned from the temple until until 1978 when blacks were allowed to receive the priesthood? Until 1978 Black men were not allowed to receive their endowments because they could not receive the priesthood. Interesting to note that this ban also included black women. It wasn't until after blacks could receive the priesthood were female blacks allowed to enter the temple, receive their endowments and be sealed to white or black men. Again, this is because church leaders recognized that women receive the priesthood in the temple.

The important thing to understand here is that endowed women have the priesthood power, but have no office in the priesthood in which to exercize it.

In the past, endowed women could administer priesthood healing blessings to the sick. They also placed their hands on the heads of sick children along with their husbands during priesthood blessings. But these practices have been discontinued.

Women don't think they have it. But doctrinally speaking, endowed women have the priesthood.

*Read "A gift given, A gift taken" http://www.sunstonemagazine.com/pdf/029-16-25.pdf
Thank you Eva , I will read the link.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Maybe both, as is often the case. It doesn't just happen with lack of sleep, or on the back. Attacks can happen in different times and ways. There is this type (I believe initiated by spirits), and others (perhaps "brokered" through other people).

There are more and more "scholarly" books about spirit possession (not just the freaky type).

They can occur because of what we DO and
because of what we DON'T do.

You will understand the power of the devil much better after an experience. The Lord's way really is better. :)

gardenerof12
captain of 10

Post by gardenerof12 »

It'a been several years ago, but I had dreams where I saw Satan, or knew he was following my children and me. In the last one, I finally raised my arm to the square and commanded them to leave, and never return. I haven't had those dreams since then. On a different note, my husband has been diagnosed with narcolepsy, and sleep paralysis is a symptom. He has experienced being unable to move, mostly associated with dreams of drowning or sufficating, but he has never had the Satanic visions with it. Although it is very firghtening to be awake and not be able to move or breathe. His most recent episode was just about 3 days ago. He has also had the hypnogogic hallucinations that are also a symptom of narcolepsy. But, once again, he has not seen Satanic visions. I know he saw a cat that was not there.

AGStacker
captain of 1,000

Post by AGStacker »

I have experienced something multiple times that I don't know what it is. I am in a dream state but know exactly where I am sleeping. I try and try to get up but cannot move. Maybe the first time it frightened me but after that it just kind of bothered me. It is a very uncomfortable feeling but never associated it with the dark side. With that said, I have never experienced the dark side and never intend to.

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

some amazing quotes there Eva

2 instances to comment on

on my mission i had 2 experiences

1- I was asleep. the "man" came out of the next room, slowly opened the sliding door, walked to me me with a knife in his left hand, right hand extended coming to cover my mouth, walking slowly. i couldn't move or make a noise, frozen. i could see my companion 3 metres away fast asleep couldn't alert him. all i could do to gasp for breath, and wake up (and him). straight onto my knees/ pray

2- an experience while out teaching with another companion. wont talk about that one other than to say we both couldn't get out of the house quick enough or dispose of the food given to us soon enough back to flat to pray soon enough and go to bed.
i think we only said 5 words (apart from prayer) that night after we got out of there.

summary- i think experience # 1 was simply biological and physical. dream sleep stuff. in a lot of dreams i am fighting/ boxing. trying to run/ but in the dream am physically incapable of doing that- its like trying to run through quicksand.
if anyone experiences that on a regular basis or more than once in a lifetime I feel for them because its as good as real at the time.
So no i don't believe HF lets us go through the possibility of being possessed in our sleep. plus its too similar to most people.
i think this is a good instance where science is explaining something many took as a religious manifestation.
i feel more confident in this "diagnosis" having experienced my experience #2

experience #2 yeah, that was real. science can get stuffed. i was there

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

I can relate with you a lot Eva. I have had scary and good spiritual experiences since I was a child. I would say the good definitely out weigh the bad. I also dont think sins are necessarily a factor in having the negative experiences though I do think we invite certain spirits into our homes and lives by certain things we do. Like watching things that are not conducive to the holy spirit. I think sometimes when we are doing our best is when some of the most blatant attacks happen. Satan doesn't have to try so hard when we are not really trying. I had some of my worst negative experiences when I was joining the church and shortly after. I knew it was because the adversary was not happy about the changes I was making or the truths I was learning that were propelling me forward. Right before my husband and I were engaged I was also attacked by an evil spirit. That experience was probably one of the most memorable because I was awake and new what was happening and why it was happening. But as soon as I started to pray it stopped. I have experienced the sleep paralysis type of thing several times and its always pretty scary. But I will just pray and sometimes lift my arm to the square as well and usually things will feel ok again.

Snow118
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Snow118 »

I'm so glad this thread exists. Sometimes it's hard to experience some of the more "out-there" things in this world without being able to discuss it with other Latter-day Saints. What a blessing websites like this are!

My opinion is that there are certain means, or channels, through which we can be communicated with. These channels are built biologically into our bodies. Despite their righteous purposes, there is opposition in all things, and these channels can be used for both good and evil purposes. Fortunately, when we align our lives with the Lord, barriers form that protect us from being harmed by such abuse, no matter how desperate and terrifying the attack.

That being said, as beings in a fallen state, we are fallible, and those channels are subject to error. This is where the isolated sleep paralysis disorder, such as is often connected with those with narcolepsy, come into play. In those cases, I believe it is merely a malfunction of a bodily system, nothing more. This accounts for the many individuals who experience SP without any disturbing (or evil) hallucinations.

As others have said, the Lord is the best defense.

"And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." (D&C 122:7)

Tony63
captain of 100

Post by Tony63 »

This has been an interesting thread and one that has dealt with the subject very well. What has touch me is the shared spiritual experiences people have had of the priesthood power in this area. I think the Scripture posted by Snow118 says it all.....
"And if thou shouldest be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." (D&C 122:7)
In my opinion we will all experience different levels of attack from the adversary at times.(members and non members alike.) but experience it we will. One of my favourite books is:-

JOSEPH SMITH Seeker after truth Prophet of God. by John A Widtsoe. On page 11,12 &13 he states:- "The boy was hardy upon his needs in the quite grove before he was attacked by the power of evil, the contending , untruthful force in the universe. The ordeal must have been fearfully trying. Before the battle was over, the boy felt that his life was in danger. This was only to be expected. From within came disturbing questions. Was it not a preposterous thing to ask God about something that the ministers were supposed to know? Would God answer? How would the answer come? Would he, Joseph, recognize the message if one came? The darkness and fear of unsteady faith sized upon the boy. Every person who has set ou in search of truth has had his prejudices, preconceived notions, doubts of success, and all sorts apparently logical antagonisms rise up against him and his venture. Men all too often fail to realize the vast opposition heaped up within their own minds to anything contrary to their traditions and false teachings. Once these inward doubts are overcome, progress maybe expected. But they are always to be reckoned with and to be feared. I Joseph's case, however, more important opposition came from with out. The forces of evil, angles of darkness, lie everywhere in waiting. Joseph's love of truth, his determination to find truth and his willingness to follow the appointed way to truth, were challenges to evil. Here was a human being to be feared by the mions of the devil. Into what godlike power might he not grow! Therefore, he was obliged to learn that the powers of darkness were real. The terrific struggle was not of an imaginary character, but he says, as "the power of some actual being from the unseen world -which had such marvelous power as I had never before felt in any being." He was almost ready to give up his quest and "abandon myself to destruction." This contest with evil was necessary. Knowledge comes by comparisons and contrasts. By light we know darkness, by good we know evil; by comparative steps man moves into a larger knowledge. A person does not need to practise evil to know good. Evil is recognized by its effects without practising it. Everyone must oppose it as Joseph did in the Scared Grove. There was fine pedagogic purpose in Joseph's battle with evil, as it gave him a contrast with the glory he was about to experience. Every seeker for truth must expect to battle with untruth. The praying boy won. He vanquished the powers of darkness. Praying men are always victorious. Light triumphs over darkness, good over evil; truth is revealed if the seeker fail not in his search. Faith, courage, effort and persistence lead to conquest. Joseph exerted all his powers to call upon God for help; and truth issued from her secret chambers.

And this statement by the Prophet Joseph Smith which came up on my face book page yesterday:- "The world will war against you; the devil will, earth will, and hell will. But … you must preach the Gospel, do your duty, and the Lord will stand by you. Earth and hell shall not prevail against you.”

My point relating to Sleep Paralysis is in my experience it is in the main, demonic attacks on people, I have experienced this and more so from the moment I joined the Church. As Eva stated and from many testionimes I have heard that the demonic forces are attacking not only church members but mankind in general. As we know he wants all mankind to be as miserable as he.

He will use all his forces and devices to accomplish is aim. His devices range from certain mood altering chemicals to music.(of which the GA's have warned us.) These chemicals allow the demonic forces to enter the body and Alcohol is one of the best weapons he has, we just have to look at all the crime broken homes destroyed families this devastating chemical has wrought on mankind.

It is a interesting fact that strong liquor is called SPIRITS because when it was distilled and was consumed, that is what it became a conduct for demonic forces to enter into the body of the consumer.
"Why do you think hard alcohol is called "spirits?" It's because after a certain level of consumption the alcohol lowers the energetic field of your personality to where other spirits can enter your body. When the alcohol wears off and your level of consciousness rises again the spirit pops out of the body. This is why people report being drunk and blacking out. They don't remember dancing on the table naked because their spirit wasn't the one in the body dancing naked. Haven't you ever seen someone you know act like a totally different person when they're drunk? Well, this is whats happening. So you can see how you can easily forget who you truly are while getting seduced by the daily distractions you face each day. But with a little conscious effort and focus on what and who matter most in your life you'll reconnect with the spirit that you are."

Satan attacks and stops many a spiritual soul from ever developing their life toward God by afflicting them with this soul destroying malady. I have known many a soul who has had there life cut short, many a family destroyed by this evil. being denied the opportunity of ever living the "Abundant life" as president Hinckley puts it. However God is at the Helm. For he raises up men who exercise great faith in combating the devices of the Devil. This he did with Dr Bob and Bill W, two men who sought out the lord, (to their understanding) that they might have their lives restored to them. For out of their faith growe an organisation that has saved the lives of many millions of people.They were the founding fathers of an organisation known as Alcoholic's Anonymous. (AA.) It is a very interesting story, how this organisation came into being. I would compare it to the coming forth of the book of Mormon.

If anyone is familiar with Alcoholics Anonymous they will know, that they describe Alcoholism, as a three fold illness, mental, physical, and spiritual. and the only cure for this terrible malady, is a spiritual one. That is, coming to an understanding of their powerlessness to Alcohol (this spirit) and exercising great faith in a power greater than themselves, can they then really ever be set free from this bondage. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was one of this organisations primary supporters, in the early days of its organisation. And the Church uses it tenets in the LDS Family Services Addiction Recovery Program.

Sleep paralysis be it brought on by chemical means or not; in my opinion is an attack on the person by the adversary and his minions. for he (Lucifer) has but a short time left to him before he is locked away, and he is pouring out all his devices to ensnare all the children of men and the Sons of God, for are we not told that even the very elect will be deceived.

I have felt of the presence of the adversary about me from a early age (from 8yrs onwards) as a young boy my family had even moved into a haunted house. only now in hindsight after joining the Church do I understand what all that was about for I was told in my patriarchal blessing that "Satan will try to deviate [me] from [my] true pathway," However I would be blessed with the ability to thwart his evil designs to destroy [me] so will remain tall and strong, solid as a rock."

What a blessing it is to have your home/house blessed

spazzy385
Hi, I'm new.

Post by spazzy385 »

I am so thankful that this thread exists. I have been doing a lot of research on this topic, and have seen various opinions on it from spiritual and non-spiritual folk. Thoughts from the spiritual (non LDS) were reasonable up until a point, and I would get that "weird" feeling like something was just a little off on their opinion of it, sometimes a little too far fetched. I have never thought to see if anyone has had an experience similar to mine, but it is comforting to know someone has. I thought I was going insane.

My experience is kind of a long story, and I will forewarn you, it has some pretty scary details just in case you are uncomfortable with stuff like that.

I was up at college, and like the originator of this post, not very active in the church. I have been my whole life until I moved out, but I think the freedom of being away for the first time got to me, and my curiosity struck with a few things. I was doing terrible in school, barely, if going to class at all, not going to church (I had a horrible experience the one time I did up there...student wards are interesting sometimes), not reading my scriptures or saying my prayers, everything.
I had just said bye to a friend of mine and went to bed, and for some reason had this uneasy feeling as I did so. I've always had problems sleeping in the dark, due to awful, not your average nightmares growing up, and usually would leave a small light on. I had my door open about a foot. I laid in bed for a while and slowly started to fall asleep. I had one of those dreams where you are semi-asleep, but you are still laying in your bed while stuff is happening around you. I was sleeping on my side by the way (I heard SP usually happens when you're on your back) and this raggedy looking man was sitting in my room on my foldout chair I had. He had torn clothes, long hair, and was saying stuff to me. I couldn't understand what he was saying but all of a sudden he looked to the doorway. All of a sudden the doorway got darker, and a shadow in the shape of a man flooded across my floor. The man in the chair started laughing at me, and the shadow entered the room. I was still able to move at this time, and dug my head into the bed with the covers half over it. My bed was against the wall, as was I, and all of a sudden it felt like something was pushing on the side of my bed, up and down the whole thing. I squeezed my eyes shut and all of a sudden it went quiet, and by this time I was completely awake. I thought it had left but out of no where I get this huuuuge ringing in both of my ears, (I get it all the time randomly, which I'm told is caused by strained mussels in the neck and head, but at a fraction of what was happening now) and my body froze, I couldn't move, it felt like something was trying to take over me, and I heard either 2 or 3 voices in my head. They were talking in a weird language I could not understand, but for some reason I'm remembering that I could understand some of it, that they were talking about me, and what they were wishing they could do with me. At this time I remembered to pray, but the only things I could think (and I think I was possibly mumbling it too) were "please stop in the name of Jesus Christ" and "help Lord" over and over, and while doing this the guy in the chair was mocking me, saying "help me, help me" and then I was slowly released. That lasted probably 30-45 seconds, but felt like forever.
I was sweating and shaking, and could barely move. My roommate was in the room, but she slept like a rock, and I didn't want to wake her to tell her so I called my friend to come back to my room. I went into my living room, where it still felt really uneasy, and opened my door to my apartment, because I've always been told that evil spirits like to act like they have bodies, because they are so jealous.. and try to enter and leave rooms through open doors and windows. (I've been told to sleep with my door shut at nights too for the same reason). I sat on my couch and waited for my friend, who I had not told anything to other than to come back, and he came to my apartment door and froze. He didn't come in, and just said, "what happened..." He came and sat by me and said I was paler than a marshmallow and I looked completely sick. My dorm room was a huge old family housing room, the only room on the first floor of a 4 story building, AKA the resident assistant's room, so people had to pass our room to exit the building. It was about 5:30 at this time, the sun was just rising, and no one was leaving the building yet (plus you could hear footsteps on the staircase if anyone was, everything was made out of concrete and was super loud, especially with the door open) and all of a sudden after sitting in my living room a while, we hear this huge BANG against the front metal push-bar doors. Scared me SO bad. But after that I felt completely content, and all sense of fear had gone away.

I'm so sorry that was sooo long, but there's a lot of points I would like to discuss, some which may start a lot of debate, but I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are on everything.. which will make this really, really long. I apologize again.

First off, my dorms were located right across the street from a graveyard. I mean, literally 50 feet away from my dorm. Graveyards, (well most) are dedicated aren't they? I've heard experiences from very spiritual people where they've seen graveyards late at night, and black figures all around the outsides of the gates because they cannot enter a dedicated site. Maybe one got bored and decided to visit me instead.. obviously my dorm had not likely been blessed or anything, and I have NEVER had an experience like that until I moved out, and the house I've grown up in is blessed.

Second, SP says like I said above, that it usually takes place when you are asleep on your back. I was on my side. Also, I woke up before any "paralysis" even began, and I was fully aware of what was going on. while most have said they couldn't open their eyes and were still asleep. Which makes me think this wasn't SP at all?? And having the spirit to guide us, everything that is good comes from God, and everything evil from Satan... we can sense the difference and tell which is good or evil, which basically proves that this wasn't from God, and I don't think by any means a genetic or hereditary problem because of the consistency in every story I've heard. Everyone, (except a few that I've heard have learned to "control, use and enjoy it" which cant be good..) has stated some sort of evil, harmful presence, some form of paralysis, fear, darkness, ringing in the ears or head, voices in a language they couldn't understand, and a lot of the stories ended with the person praying or calling out to Jesus Christ for help, even non LDS members. (the forum I read before finding this one, I found very interesting, which was http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/ ... paralysis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Thirdly, referring to the language that so many people have said they've heard while having an experience like this, all of them have said that they couldn't understand it, or could understand little, but it wasn't in English or anything. I've been told there is a spiritual language. That Christ and Heavenly Father speak in a spiritual language that we too, used to speak in (if I'm remembering right). So I'm assuming that would also apply to Satan and his followers. Maybe that is the language everyone is hearing?

Also, this is more of a personal opinion, I think there are strong spirits (meaning us) on this Earth who are more susceptible to having scarier things like this happen to us because we can handle it, of course we are never given more than we can handle, and God has something big that he is preparing us for. I know some people that if they ever had something like this happen, they would probably lose their minds. But I think Satan is trying to destroy some of Christ's biggest "weapons". Not saying at all that anyone that's never had this happen isn't important in any way, I just think that Satan knows our weaknesses, and everyone's is different so he "attacks" accordingly. I know if I had had no knowledge of the Gospel when that whole thing happened to me, I would probably have lost my mind and gone to see a doctor and been labeled schizophrenic. It was a HUGE, probably one of the biggest test I've had so far. When I was little I had a lot of spiritual things happen, before and after I was born, so now I'm just trying to get a sense of why all of those things would happen, and then something so dark and negative like this happen. I guess I'm still trying to figure out who I am and why exactly I'm here, even though I know the basics. It just amazes me when I read stories of these evil spirits, how jealous and real they are, and how real Satan is and how bad he wants to destroy us, and how he is trying everything that he can to foil God's plan, because he know he will never succeed, but he can sure try. He had me for a long time, and still has somewhat of a hold on me, and its been the hardest thing in the world to come back and remember everything I learned and once knew. I just have to remind myself.. "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it"

Once again I am so sorry this is so long, I have just been wanting to discuss this with ANYONE. Its been eating at me forever and I'm so glad I found good, LDS people who I trust to share this with, rather than a bunch of people trying to tell me its just science. I'm not an expert with deep spiritual stuff, or with even describing how I feel about things so I hope no one took anything I have said in the wrong way. I'm just doing what we're all doing in this life, looking for the right answers. There's more things I wanted to discuss but my brain is shut off, so I apologize for any errors, or anything that doesn't make sense, as it is 4:00 in the morning. Ahhh. Thank you thank you for reading all of my rant if you did!! And I have enjoyed everything you all have said. You're testimonies and experiences have made me feel better in so many ways!!

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

I encourage you to read Heber C Kimball's account of what happened in England and how the experience is handled.

Dealing with these experiences with adversarial elements is part of the process and Blaine Yorgasen gives a great chapter on handling these things in his book "I need thee every hour: the joy of coming to Christ."

These things do happen and often manifest in very similar manners, but to dwell on them and the fear they impose is counter productive. If I told you abt all the times I had to deal with this type of "experience" then it would take up a number of posts and threads.

But the main thing to realize is that these situations either occur before you are meant to do something great for the Lord or after you have received something great from the Lord.

It's kind of the good fairies give their gifts so Maleficent (evil) has to give her "gift" to kind of situation. (got to love Sleeping Beauty metaphors).

The key to dealing with these things is an absolute clinging to the power of the Lord with an absolute faith that He will protect you. Also honoring your garments and the temple ordinances.

The temple also gives the type and shadow of how to cast them out. One you delineate whom is your master: "my master, Jesus Christ" and mean it.
Second you have been given authority as His servant to cast them out: state it. "having authority"
Third give them a place to go and forbid them by command never to return.

The big thing is your faith it is your shield and protection. Refer to the armor of God and consider it as a literal armor especially when dealing with adversarial forces. Consider what each attribute does to protect you.

Even being faced with Satan himself, it is this faith that overcomes him. A good example to read and consider is the situation when Moses sees the Lord then is left to himself then Satan comes and scares him but Moses relying upon the strength of the Lord (even though it took him three times to cast Satan out) was able to overcome the adversary [only seeing the "bitterness of hell" when he feared].

Then afterwards he has another even more glorious experience with the Lord. (Moses chapter 1)

The Savior also had such an experience after He had been fasting for 40 days and before the mount of transfiguration. Satan came to thwart him and He simply cast him out.

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

Sounds pretty scary Spazzy. I don't think you experienced sleep paralysis either. I have been completely awake during attacks before and have a few experiences that I could share. One happened while I was awake and I was in the car. I had just dropped off my future husband off at the airport. It was our first time meeting in person actually. I had so many great spiritual experiences surrounding him and then finally after we met in person I knew for sure that we were meant to be together. I had No doubts. I was actually pretty upset dropping him off and I was crying a little. But suddenly when I was almost home something really weird happened. Everything was fine when all of the sudden I started to feel a little bit weird like something wasn't right and then suddenly the arm I was using to steer the car just involuntarily jerked to the left really hard.
And it made me swerve BIG time in the other lane and then I was so freaked out and didn't know what was happening and when I tried to correct it my arm involuntarily jerked again and I swerved to the other side and drove up on the curve a little bit. I was going probably 45 and the way the jeep was swerving I was afraid it was gonna flip or something. Im sure the people around me must have thought I was drunk or something. Everything happened so quickly but it also seemed like slow motion at the same time. Right after the first jerk happened I felt a really evil presence and its almost like I felt what it was thinking. It was angry about my husband and I meeting and some things were going to happen as a result and it REALLY did NOT want those things to happen and he was trying to kill me. Right after I realized what was happening I started to pray out loud in the car. Again it all happened very, very quickly but felt like slow motion to me at the same time. All I said was "Jesus help me". And then after the second jerk it was like I just slowly but quickly at the same time had control again and I felt really really calm and I was driving straight and normal in my lane again. After it happened it almost felt surreal. Very unreal. It is still one of the strangest and scariest things I have ever had happen to me. I told my husband about it after it happened and I didn't even tell him what I felt the evil presence was thinking and he said, "Sounds like the adversary was not happy that we met." Or something along those lines... It's pretty hard to explain this experience away because I was awake and aware the whole time and either I experienced a strange and sudden case of turrets that I never had before or since. Or it was what I knew it to be.

Also, I had another experience once and it was a sleep paralysis case but the strange thing about this particular time was that not only was I not alone in my room but my roommate experienced it as well. She is a person who has always been sensitive to spirits and has even seen them from time to time. She is also my cousin and my best friend. Anyway, this happened not very long after we both joined the church. I was having this terrible dream about evil spirits attacking me and if felt so very real. There was one particular part of the dream where an evil spirit was chasing me and it kept chanting over and over "You will hate or you will die. " Sounds kind of cheesy actually but it was terrifying. I was running away from it and fighting it and I kept saying "I don't want to hate!" It was during this time at the very end of the dream that I suddenly became aware that I was dreaming. So I started to fight it and to try and wake up. I was on my back and I felt a presence surrounding me and it was pressing down on my body and suffocating me and I couldn't breathe. I could not move and was completely paralyzed. I started to feel like I really was going to suffocate and I'm not sure if I was awake during this part or not but I felt like I was but I remember trying really hard to open my eyes and move but I couldn't and I couldn't breathe. I was so scared and I started praying for help in my head and then all of the sudden I heard an audible voice. It was like a loud whisper. Its the best way I can describe it. The voice just said my name and then suddenly I opened my eyes and took a big gulp of air like I literally had been suffocating. I sat straight up in bed and it was morning so I could see. I turned over and looked at my cousin sleeping in her bed across the room but I didn't wake her because for some reason I knew she was about to wake up too. Only a few seconds later I saw her wake up and she was on her back too and she also kind of took a big gasp of air and she sat up and we just looked at each other. Right away she started telling me about a horrible dream she was just having about evil spirits trying to take over her body and that she finally was able to move because she prayed and heard someone call her name. We knew what had happened was real and that we had been attacked. We prayed over the house and didn't have anything happen again for quite a while. There were a few other things that happened every once in a while but nothing like that particular time. But we didn't know about dedicating our home or that we should get a priesthood blessing for it then. Later after I moved out she had another really bad experience when she was alone and with the advice of my sister and law had her home dedicated and blessed by a priesthood holder. After he blessed and dedicated the house he told her it was a strange experience because while he was saying the prayer he felt there were spirits there fighting with him because they didn't want him to finish the prayer. After that she didn't have anymore problems again though that I am aware of.

Another time before we joined the church. A good while before we found the church we were in the car. We had taken a trip to Charleston for an audition she went to. We hadn't had hardly any sleep the night before because she has just spontaneously driven across states to pick me up. The audition was only a few hours away and we actually felt pretty good so we went anyway. However we ended up being there way longer then we were expecting. It turned into an all day thing. So by the time we left for home we were starting to get really tired. We were on the interstate driving probably about half way home when we started to get REALLY tired. We turned the radio on really loud and I was bouncing around trying to stay awake and keep her awake too because she was driving. We thought we were fine. But then at some point we both fell asleep without realizing it. I don't think we were asleep but for a few seconds or like half a minute but suddenly I woke up because I heard the strangest sound. There are NO WORDS to describe the sound that I heard. Honestly it was heavenly and it was VERY loud. It sound almost like an instrument of some kind but I couldn't even attempt to say what instrument it was. But I instantly opened my eyes and realized I had fallen asleep and I looked ahead and we were heading right for the rear end of the car in front of us and the speedometer said we were going almost a hundred when I glanced at it. But then we started slowing down suddenly and it all happened really quickly but again felt like slow motion. My cousin and I just looked at each other and I was in a daze and that's when my cousin suddenly said. Oh my God I fell asleep and would have hit that car. I said, "I know I fell asleep too and just woke up also." And that's when she said, "Well did you hear that sound?" And my jaw just dropped and I said, "You heard that too?!" I was already kind of forgetting about it because it seemed so unreal. And I asked her what it sounded like and she said I have no idea. Some kind of instrument. But it didn't sound like any earthly noise. And that was just what I was thinking. We knew the sound was some kind of Heavenly sound. Still have no idea what it was or any way to possibly describe it. But we knew our lives had been saved and probably other lives too. We underestimated how tired we were. Right after this brief conversation we decided to pull over and we took a nap in the car before we continued home. It's an experience we will never forget. It's amazing to me how many experiences like that, that we have both had. Good and bad. I do know that we are always being looked out for. Everyone.

serenitylala
captain of 100

Post by serenitylala »

Alma 36: 27

And I have been supported under trials and troubles of every kind, yea, and in all manner of afflictions; yes, God has delivered me from prison, and from bonds, and from death; yea, and i do put my trust in Him, and he will still deliver me.

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

serenitylala wrote:
Alma 36: 27

And I have been supported under trials and troubles of every kind, yea, and in all manner of afflictions; yes, God has delivered me from prison, and from bonds, and from death; yea, and i do put my trust in Him, and he will still deliver me.

:D :ymapplause: Well said.

Book of Ruth
captain of 100

Post by Book of Ruth »

Has anyone experienced something like this? I frequently get up an walk around, go about my business, only to find that I'm not actually awake. Then, I do everything I can to awaken, think that I'm awake, only to find that again I'm not really awake. This is my battle. I've done the same thing, prayed in the name of Jesus Christ. But, when you don't even realize it is happening, that you believe you are awake, it takes a while to make yourself awaken.

Why does this happen? How can you make it stop in the first place?

I've thought myself about those who may be able to relax their minds enough to experience another dimension. Like really meditating and praying about the things that you have just read in the scriptures. It's like the mind detaches from the body and you hear and operate in another sphere. I can't explain it well, just hoping someone has had the out-of-body experience and can shed some light on it.

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

I have had it before but most the time when it happened it was scary. But there were a couple times that I experienced it where it wasn't scary. The way it usually happens for me is that I suddenly I will notice that I am floating up further and further in the air and I can't get down. It gets to the point to where I am actually floating high into the earth atmosphere and I start to panic and get scared. The dream always ends with me suddenly falling and sometimes my body will physically jolt awake from it. And that's how I wake up. Most people will have falling dreams but they don't hit the ground. I always hit my body and then jolt awake. There were a couple times where I was dreaming about being in Heavenly Realms and talking either to the Savior of Heavenly Father and then during the dream I would become aware of the fact that I was going to wake up soon. Then I would start falling fast and literally jolt awake again. Every time I have had one of those dreams I always wake up with knowledge that I was given and I will write down what I remember. During the dreams where I am with Heavenly Beings I don't get scared but I never realize I am away from my body until it's time for me to wake up. So maybe that's why I don't get scared in those. Because I'm not alone and I'm comforted. When it happened the last time I started to wonder if it was just a dream or if my Spirit was actually leaving my body once I went to sleep. I'm not really sure. Can that even happen?

Christopher Voss
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Christopher Voss »

I've had my fair share of experiences, but before I get into that I want to acknowledge the importance of closing certain doors and leaving other doors open. I will always leave bathroom doors open and always close any door to a room with a mirror in it. I will also refuse to sleep in a room with any mirror in it. I have my own reasons for this.

I had fallen away from the church and its principles during my teenage years. I lived in a situation where I was abused verbally and emotionally and not as frequently physically on a regular basis. I also felt as though I was ostracized in church during this time. I got involved in substance abuse during this time. It was a very dark time in my life and I was full of hate. The experience happened when I was cleaning up and dropping friends.

I was a couple weeks away from going to the MTC. I was dreaming but I thought I was awake. I turned over in bed and normally where there was a wall I saw this girl next to me in bed. She had been trying to talk me out of serving a mission and marrying her. In the dream the whole room was dark blue. I reach out my hand to touch her and as soon as I felt her skin immediately this overwhelming power seized me. I woke up and it felt like a giant hand was holding my entire body. As I tried to scream it immediately started to squeeze me. As I tried to struggle it only got stronger. I felt like I was going to be physically crushed and immediately started praying. After about 15 seconds or so of doing this I felt the grip release. I woke up my parents and asked for a blessing. After that I moved the bed out of my room and slept on the floor until I left.

Post mission I had an overwhelming amount of dreams where I would cast demons out of other people who were possessed. Many of those dreams involved casting them out of homes as well. I would always put my arm to the square. I would do this sometimes too while I was awake and getting ready to go to sleep if I felt a bad presence. I would have these dreams on almost a nightly basis for weeks on end and then for a few weeks or months, nothing of the sort. It would always come back. At first I was alarmed but I think I got pretty desensitized to it. Sometimes I would bring it up in conversations and others would tell me to get a priesthood blessing but I think my own pride stood in the way.

My strongest and most vivid experience happened earlier this year. I had been called to serve in the EQ presidency. I had been serving for two months or so. I remember waking up one night (I am a light sleeper and wake up at least 4-5 times a night) and immediately being spooked because someone was laying next to me in bed. I could feel them there. I closed my eyes and did my best to calm myself down because these things feed and grow stronger off of fear. I pretended that I was sleeping in hopes it would just pass and go away. That is when I physically felt a set of hands under my right side. I felt each finger. I could feel the pressure. I was wide awake. They lifted me up onto my left shoulder, like I was being rolled over. Then is when I felt a second set of hands grab my left shoulder and start pushing in the opposite direction. I again repeat that I physically felt the fingers and the pressure and part of the arms. It was like they were trying to push my shoulders together in front of me and my body was contorting. I kept cool and calm and would not feed into the fear. This all took place over the course of 20 seconds or so and was painful. They left and my body slumped down. I think they figure out I was awake. I don't know why exactly. I stayed calm and prayed and wouldn't let it bother me and went back to sleep without a problem. It the morning my back was very sore and I remembered what had happened. There wasn't a great fear or malicious evil involved. I don't quite know how to mark that one up. I told my presidency and received a blessing. I think I've only had one or maybe two dreams with possession and evil spirits involved since then.

Anyhow, I bought in to the whole sleep paralysis thing after my older sister who is anti-mormon told me about it when I shared my first experience. After that strong one though I know for a fact that was not SP. I have never felt myself being physically moved by an unseen force. I felt the fingers and the hands and the force and the pressure. It was real and I was awake.

I actually came across this site while doing some research on Alden Neil Barrett. Glad I did. I want to hand around and read up on some dream topics.

JohnGalt
Hi, I'm new.

Post by JohnGalt »

I have had this encounter probably a dozen times or so. I have had the opportunity to discuss these types of experiences with 2-3 other individuals that have had the same thing happen. Every person that has had this type of experience shares it with respect, because often times its the most dramatic thing that can happen to a person. At the time that I had these conversations, these individuals did not know what it was that happened to them, they believed they were attacked spiritually as far as they could tell. Over the years I have spent much time analyzing my experiences with this "sleep paralysis" and have come to a basic theory:

1. I don't believe its purely scientific nor do I believe it solely spiritual. There has to be a bridge somewhere for both of them to meet.
2. Sleep paralysis is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this experience; however, it does not explain everything.
3. I don't pretend to fully understand where science and religion bridge the gap.
4. I believe science is an eternal principle, heavenly father created science to begin with. Just because we can explain something, it doesn't make it any less spiritual or a miracle.

When I go into sleep paralysis I am awake, or so I think. It gets sticky here because it's difficult to fully discern where the subconscious takes over. When it comes over me, which is the only way to describe it with the language we are given, I feel a feeling like I have never felt before. Many describe it as a buzzing noise, but not for me. I experience vibrations to an abnormal level. I honestly can't compare it to anything earthly I have ever experienced. There is no way for me to properly describe the immensity of the feelings and sensations that are delivered through this experience. When I watch Star Trek and see people get warped from one place to the next, that is the sensation as I could accurately describe it from my limited scope. This is where the brilliance and magic ends.

When I go through the physical sensations I feel like I am sucked out of my body (very similar to many NDE's). The next thing I know I am being thrown evil impressions, images, thoughts one after the other. Picture some thing out of "Minority Report" or some other stupid Sci-fi where you are standing there and images are being thrown at you one after another like they are being shot out of a Machine gun. I know this sounds really cheesy but this is how it is. The impressions are so horrifying that I have to rely on the savior Jesus Christ to get me out of the dreams. I pray over and over again for him to deliver me because I feel like I am going to be damned. I don't have any type of redeeming moment here where I have this amazing spiritual expereince, I wish I could say that I have. At some point I usually am released from this torture. Every time I have this experience I have the evil impression assault, its terrifying. And of course its correlated with the paralyzed limbs and every thing else.

I don't known why I am attacked by these terrible impressions each time this happens. I am an active member of the church who keeps his covenants. When I think of my experience, I can't help but think of Josephs Smiths experience in the grove, Almas experience with his vision. Now understand that I feel very uncomfortable with the comparison because I am not a special person. All I am saying is that I believe that though there is a scientific explanation for this, I also believe that this is some type of spitirual portal. Some how both of these make sense, but not in a logical way. When I say spiritual portal, I am simply stating that those from the non physical world have access to us from this portal. That is my theory.

AussieMac
captain of 10

Post by AussieMac »

One evening on my mission I awoke from my sleep I found that I could not move or speak. I was defiantly awake. I tried to fight what I could only describe as a dark weight over me. My mind was all over the place and it took all a lot of concentration to command this darkness to leave. As soon as I had said what I needed to the darkness left, I felt peace and feel back to sleep. The next thing I knew it was morning.

I could of discounted this experience as a weird dream or a chemical in balance in my head, but as I woke up I looked over to my companion at the time he looked at me and said "Did something happen to you last night?" He then recounted exact same experience that I had except that the darkness left all of the sudden. This must of been when I had commanded it to leave.

I have never had a experience like this since. If this experience did anything it strengthened my testimony. It taught me that there is a evil power out there, but the power of the priesthood can overcome it all.

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

I have had three experiences with this... it is late and I will share them tomorrow.

Aradel
captain of 50

Post by Aradel »

I have similar kind of experiences where I will wake up after having been asleep and see things coming through the wall, also have seen things flying towards me. I have woken to see a grey shadow in the shape of a man in a cloak over the top of me. I end up screaming and my heart is pounding. I generally end up sitting up with my husband reassuring me. It's certainly not a pleasant experience. :-\