Demonic Possession

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
eddie
captain of 1,000

Re: Demonic Possession

Post by eddie »

This thread has convinced me that my mother in law is
Possessed, her eyes are black, The Exorcist is her favorite movie and she smells like a turd.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

DesertWonderer wrote:
This is only partly accurate. Yes, it's true that we can become possessed through sin, but Elder Bruce R. McConkie taught that there are reasons of "sin, depression, and physical weakness" by which evil spirits can possess a person. Not only that, but he taught that evil spirits can force themselves into you under the right conditions.
Reference please.[/quote]
Why did the demons desire to enter the bodies of the swine? or, for that matter, how came they to take up tenancy in the body of the man? We cannot tell and do not know how it is that evil spirits-few or many-gain entrance into the bodies of mortal men. We do know that all things are governed by law, and that Satan is precluded from taking possession of the bodies of the prophets and other righteous people. Were it not so, the work of God would be thwarted-always and in all instances-for Lucifer leads the armies of hell against all men, and more especially against those who are instrumental in furthering the Lord's work.
There must be circumstances of depression and sin and physical weakness that within the restrictions of divine control, permit evil spirits to enter human bodies. We do know their curse is to be denied tabernacles, and we surmise that the desire for such tenancy is so great that they, when permitted, even enter the bodies of beasts. (The Mortal Messiah, 2:282)
Manifestly, as in all things, there are laws and conditions under which devils have power to force entry into human bodies. And of course in the power and majesty of their priesthood, both Jesus and the legal administrators sent from him have cast these usurping and unclean spirits out of their stolen habitations. On the numerous occasions that our Lord exercised his power over devils, he was fulfilling the Messianic promise: "And he shall cast out devils, or the evil spirits which dwell in the hearts of the children of men." (Mosiah 3:6.)

Mark 1:23. When a devil manages to enter the body of a mortal person, such person loses his free agency, and his acts then become and are those of the devil by whom he is possessed. Thus when the devil speaks it is by the mouth of the person whose tabernacle he has stolen.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie
Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, vol. 1, Pg. 168
1971, Bookcraft
These quotes also explain why little children can become possessed. Many LDS don't think this is possible because they confuse affliction with temptation. Little children cannot be tempted until the age of 8, but they can and are afflicted.
"On the day following I parted with Elders Taylor and Fielding, who went to Liverpool, and with Elder Richards, who tarried in Preston. Elder Turley and I went to Manchester; it was the first time I had visited that city. There I met for the first time Elder William Clayton. As soon as I was introduced to him, he informed me that one of the sisters in that place was possessed of a devil. He asked me if I would not go and cast it out of her. He thought one of the Twelve Apostles could do most anything in such a case. I went with him to the house where the woman lay, in the hands of three men, in a terrible rage. She was trying to tear her clothing from her. I also found quite a number of Saints present, and some unbelievers, who had come to see the devil cast out and a miracle wrought.
"Had I acted upon my own judgment I should have refrained from administering to her in the company of those present; but as I was a stranger there, and Brother Clayton presided over the branch, I joined with him in administering to the woman. The unbelief of the wicked who were present was so great that we could not cast the devil out of her, and she raged worse than ever; I then ordered the room to be cleared, and when the company, except the few attending her, had left the house, we laid hands upon her head, and in the name of Jesus Christ I commanded the devil to come out of her. The devil left, and she was entirely healed and fell asleep.
"The next day being the Sabbath, the woman came before a large congregation of people, and bore testimony to what the Lord had done for her. We had a large assembly through the day and evening, to whom I preached the gospel. On Monday morning, the devil, not being satisfied with being cast out of the woman, entered into her little child, which was but a few months old. I was called upon to visit the child, and found it in great distress, writhing in its mother's arms. We laid hands upon it and cast the devil out; the evil spirits thereafter had no power over that household. This was done by the power of God, and not of man. We laid hands upon twenty in Manchester who were sick, and most of them were healed.

Wilford Woodruff: History of His Life and Labors, Pgs. 114-115
If you want to learn more about evil spirits, read this treatise.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

eddie wrote:This thread has convinced me that my mother in law is
Possessed, her eyes are black, The Exorcist is her favorite movie and she smells like a turd.
There is a reason for her smelling. Elder Parley P. Pratt wrote about this.
Some of these foul spirits, when possessing a person, will cause a disagreeable smell about the person thus possessed, which will be plainly manifest to the senses of those about him, even though the person thus afflicted should be washed and change his clothes every few minutes.
Key to the Science of Theology, p 111

Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

DesertWonderer wrote:
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
Hivetyrant36 wrote:Remember, Christ, on multiple occasions, cast out unclean spirits. He even spoke with them and they recognized Him as the Savior. That being said, there is an enmity between us and evil spirits, so we must choose to let them in through sin.
Not only are the hosts of satan after us, but also those who lives on the earth and are still addicted to certain sins as well. They dwell on the earth in search for their next "high" by entering the bodies of those in sin.
This is only partly accurate. Yes, it's true that we can become possessed through sin, but Elder Bruce R. McConkie taught that there are reasons of "sin, depression, and physical weakness" by which evil spirits can possess a person. Not only that, but he taught that evil spirits can force themselves into you under the right conditions.
Reference please.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/mark/5.9?lang=eng#8
Basically Jesus cured Smeagol from Lord of the Rings hehehehehehehe

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Mullenite wrote: August 6th, 2010, 9:21 am DGMdarth-vader.jpg

Most churches have at some point have viewed mental illness as demonic possession, and some fundamentalists still believe so today.
When is mental illness a purely biological, biochemical effect, and when is there possible demonic involvement?

Doctors called religion an obsessional neurosis. After Phelan studies became well-known, religion was removed from hospitals. However of late, the numbers have increased as research has placed more value on faith and mental health. All faiths, now strongly support the care of the mentally ill.
Studies show that when mental and physical health problems occur, most people turn to religion.

Here are some so called signs of demonic possession.

Physical Changes Affecting The Person

1 The person involved may go for long periods of time without blinking their eyes. (Can indicate a neurological condition)

2 The person may appear catatonic. (Can also be a sign of mental illness)

3 The person speaks a language they could not possibly know. (Or speak English with unusual accents.)

4 The person speaks in tongues.

5 The person will become completely rigid where they cannot be moved at all, even by multiple people.

6 Look for changes in the eyes. They may turn almost black like shark eyes.

7 Look for obvious changes in their features.

8 The person may possess inhuman strength.

9 The person may exhibit “precognition,” the ability to predict the future.

10 The person displays “retro cognition,” the ability to know about past events they should not know about.

11 The person may be able to know something about a person they have not met.

12 Their voice may change. It may go from high to low to guttural.

13 They may be able to tell what you are thinking.

14 They may move in some unusual way. For example, they may seem to glide instead of walk.

15 Writing or symbols may appear on the body in the form of welts and scratches. Look especially in areas they could not reach.

16 They may levitate.

17 Hair or eye color may change.

18 There may be multiple voices coming from the person at the same time.

19 Take note if animals appear to be frightened of the person, especially if they begin acting fearful when there are personality changes in the person.

Outward Manifestations

1 Objects move around seemingly by themselves.

2 Objects may disappear and not be found again. (Asporting)

3 Objects may disappear and be found in another location. (Teleporting)

4 Objects may disappear and later be found where they originally were.

5 Objects may come from nowhere. (Apports)

6 Knocking, banging or pounding may be heard throughout the house or in just one room.

7 Objects fly around as if they were thrown from unseen hands.

8 There may be knocks at the door but no one is ever there. These are often heard in threes, as this is a way of mocking the Holy Trinity. Ditto for doorbells.

9 Religious articles disappear or are destroyed. They may also be desecrated.

10 Growling may be heard but the source cannot be located.

11 There may be scratching sounds heard without an obvious source.

12 There may be foul odors that have no verifiable source. They may come and go.

13 Odd lights may be seen. They may shoot around a room.

14 Heavy furniture may move on its own.

15 There may be sightings of people or dark shadows that may or may not have form.

16 Odd-looking creatures may be seen.

17 Doors and drawers may open and close on their own.

18 Electrical appliances may turn on or off.

19 Spontaneous fires may start up.

20 Animals may become spooked and stay away from the targeted person altogether.

21 Animals may growl at something they see but you do not.

22 Any talk of God or religion may cause an outbreak of activity.

23 Glass may break for no reason.

24 Sounds of glass breaking may be heard but there is no evidence of it happening.

25 There may be sudden temperature changes, up and down although it is usually down. These can be recorder on a thermometer.

25 A person may suddenly become cold while the temperature remains constant. A thermometer may record a one to two degree drop in that person.

26 People may have a feeling of being watched or that they are not alone.

27 People may hear voices when no one is present.

28 People will often hear their name called only to find that no one is around. Sometimes, a couple will each think they heard the other call to them.

29 There may be a sensation of wind blowing even with the windows closed.

30 Lights will go off or not come on when turned on.

31 Apparent retaliation after some attempt to stop the activity.

32 Activity starts up when you attempt to say prayers.

33 Apparent retaliation if a clergyman has been to the home.

34 Physical attacks. It might be in the form of punching, scratching, biting, hair pulling, etc.

35 Psychological attacks. The devil knows your weaknesses and will try to exploit them. Someone who feels ashamed about something will have an increase in that emotion. The same is true for depression, anxiety and anything else you can think of.

36 Sexual assaults. This can run the gamut from fondling to actual penetration. This can occur in males as well as females.

37 Levitation of objects or people.
If you want to learn more about evil spirits and their capabilities then download this treatise. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=43440

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

I will read your post Rumplestiltskin. Lots of interesting stuff in this thread.

Matthew 17
18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

I am not posting in the spirit of "this and that is wrong" or "you're wrong about this" - I think that is folly to presume we have a full knowledge of the operations of the spirit and of evil spirits on this side of the veil. However, I can share my experience.

I have fought - literally fought - evil spirits on two occasions. One occasion was two nights ago. The evil spirit was pretending to be someone else - a good and holy being. From the get go, I knew something was wrong though admittedly I didn't immediately conclude it was an evil spirit. At a certain point the evil spirit unveiled its identity to a degree. At that point I changed my interaction - testing the spirit so to say. Once I determined the spirit was an evil spirit I can say that at the same time the spirit realized with whom it was dealing. I too awakened somewhat as to my own identity - or ability I should say and swatted the spirit like a fly. That said, I posted the scripture above not to knock the apostles against my experience but to say that not all experiences are uniform and some spirits may be easier to swat that others.

I believe my identity was veiled until the last moment. I think the Lord hides many of His people on Earth....like Jesus was hidden as a baby and Isaiah 6 refers to the seraphim as having two wings with which to hide their face and two to hide their feet - identity and location.

The first encounter I had was about 15 years ago - there were two evil spirits and I fought them both off handily. The reason I share this, is though I totally agree with many posters here that dabbling with evil spirits is extreme foolishness ... we not only have power over them from keeping our first estates ... we have even more power over them as we gain light and knowledge and Priesthood power.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

It is folly to think we have a full knowledge of casting out and recognizing evil spirits. I have always found it interesting that the apostles who were with our Lord daily, witnessed all miracles, saw him raise the dead, cast out evil spirits, still as Mark 9: 19-29 came to the Lord saying master why could we not cast the Spirit out? v29 and he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting. The apostles then seemed to lack the ability to discern the type of spirit and means to cast it out. I don't doubt they grew into the knowledge and understanding, having witnessed much, the Lord had come out of His 40 day fast and this seems to be a teaching example. We are surrounded by a sterile culture, by that I mean we are not familiar with the learning of the Jews, symbols etc. for us to learn this type of discernment, when we attribute most physical and mental illness to physiology is quite the journey. I have seen devils manifest in mental illness and they spew forth, once you see this it can be recognized. Learning like the apostles of old did takes more exposure than many of us get.