The Law of Attraction and the movie "The Secret"

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)

keeprunning
captain of 100

Re: The Law of Attraction and the movie "The Secret"

Post by keeprunning »

Elder Uchtdorf's quote is a favorite of mine because it is so true and so relevant for today. When I heard that talk the LOA/secret and all those books popped into my mind as well.

drjme
captain of 1,000

Post by drjme »

Elder Uctdorf is one of my favourite speakers, and I do think he targets these issues. I found these two videos really interesting. One is 'the secret, a gift to you', the other is 'create' (mormon messages) with elder Uctdorf. The composition, music and imagery is similar to the point that I think they are almost targeting people who are swaying towards beliefs like the secret.

The secret: Gives you happy feelings but is based on deception

create: gives you happy feelings and is absolute truth

I thought I could see simularities in how the videos are edited, though the content of the secret video is vague and deceptive, where the create video doesn't beat around the bush at all, straight to the point and speaking truth.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Priestcraft.

gruden
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden »

On a different internet forum there was someone who posted nonsense about the only preparations one had to do was think thoughts that attracted peace, abundance, etc. and how a person's bad thoughts were the cause of personal misery. Basically a version of the Secret thing. I responded by pointing out a major flaw I see in this philosophy, and that is it essentially places the blame for things like child abuse and mass violence/murder on the victims. How can an innocent child think the horrible/bad thoughts they blame as the root cause for these terrible things that happen to him?

He responded with the most vitriolic personal message I've ever received. They don't like it when you poke holes into things like this. These people have probably never read the book of Job.

ndjili
captain of 100

Post by ndjili »

The secret is the Law of Attraction. Carol Tuttles book is all abou that let me find some quotes that are shocking. They all say the same thing that it is the person the bad things are happening to's fault. They never read the new testament either. Arent we supposed to rejoice while going through the refiners fire.

Here is some carol tuttle stuff I posted on Bellas forum

http://www.uponthewatchtower.com/viewto ... f4fc117a39

aharon
Hi, I'm new.

Post by aharon »

The law of att. Is real. I have witnessed it countless times in my life. The scriptures even hint about it, saying that kindness begets kindness and that all things are to be restored to its natural state, evil restored to evil and righteousness restored to righteousness.

But the error the new age movers make is when they assume this power comes from man. It does not. It is a gift from God. Alma tells us that God grants unto men according to the desires of their hearts. We have to be careful for what we desire, for we will receive it.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Haet wrote:
Alma 29:5 Yea, and I know that good and evil have come before all men; he that knoweth not good from evil is blameless; but he that knoweth good and evil, to him it is given according to his desires, whether he desireth good or evil, life or death, joy or remorse of conscience.
I think this is true on a small and large scale, which could seem very similar to the law of attraction. In Napoleon Hill's success books he speaks of building a burning desire for what you want and the rest will follow, also of speaking words to your sub-conscience to build your faith in yourself. I think this is all true to a certain point, but it quickly goes into a gray area if you start taking it out of context.

I believe the scripture was describing what we know as "prayer" and not asking for things that are contrary, combined with acting on the true and righteous doctrines of the Lord.

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

aharon wrote:The law of att. Is real.
Sorry, but no it's not real. The Law of Attraction comes straight from the Occult books by HP Blavatsky. So if you believe in the Occult, then I guess so. The Law of the Harvest is what the scriptures teach. You reap what you sow!

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Bella wrote:In thinking about emails and such. It made me remember something I was sent by a person that believes in the Law of Attraction and was not happy with a post I had about the Law of Attraction in regards to Esther Hicks and Oprah.

Here is what they had to say to me.

This was from someone who called themselves "The Adversary".
Well my misinformed friend. The adversary you speak of (Satan) did nothing more than question GOD. Who I might add killed entire cities. At times sparing women and children, (not always) and making them slaves! I would question that as well! Satan is humanistic in nature (the forces of nature) christianity is a silly religion for sheep! People who fear to think for themselves! As far as "The Secret" goes, it promotes positive thought for positive results! And this is bad how? God lied to Eve. Did Lucifer? christianity through history has sacrificed animals, humans, raped, lied, covered up, religious cleansing, etc. etc. etc. Besides Jesus is truly a recycled Myth! And you speak of Mormon works. Don't even get me started. Joseph Smith was a child molester and the Mormon church was into alchohol and tobacco trade. Not to mention Polygomy and Free Masonry!!! Come on get a life! Charles Manson christian, Albert Fish christian! The KKK christians! The crusades led by the christians, the witch hunts again led by the christians. If you believe in Santa the tooth fairy and jesus then fine! But the Secret has nothing to do with your made up deities. For without a fear of Hell or a promise of heaven would people even go to church! And as a crazy religious nut, what are you compensating for? Are you a sicko or sex addict or something?
Don't you feel the unconditional love and tolerance of the New Spirituality radiating from this enlightened being? What a true example of having awakened and living in the Christ-Consciousness that Esther Hicks and Oprah teach of!

Remember their tolerance is only for those that believe in being tolerant of sin and believing that we are Gods. If you do not believe this they have no tolerance for your beliefs for you are an evil, hateful, judgmental separatist.

Can you hear a foreshadowing of future persecution? This is not a lone example this is becoming the norm.
Isn't it interesting how irate atheistic types get about religion. If you believe it's just a fairy story then what to you care if fallen officers are honored with crosses? What difference does it make to you if I pray in school, or pledge allegiance "under God?" I mean, I've never once heard of people wanting to ban talk of the easter bunny or the tooth fairy at school before, or getting upset about public displays of ghosts and goblins at halloween. If it's meaningless to you, why the anger?

liberty_belle
captain of 100

Post by liberty_belle »

ndjili wrote:Well Carol Tuttle has her book Remembering Wholeness where she teaches this law of attraction crap. She calls (summons) her angels (demons) to do her bidding. Jokes about angels helping her get green lights. Really, true angels of God have nothing better to do. Wayne Dyer has his book The Power of Intention. He was on PBS this morning joking about how one of his editors uses this to get parking spaces. Wow what a way to weild the power of God. Such mockery. They might call this by different names but it's the same. Carol Tuttle talks about Indigo Children but never uses that name yet her chapter is nearly word for word descriptions from the book Indigo Children by Carroll and Tober.

Shoot Carol Tuttle takes passages out the book Conversations with God by Neal Donald Walsh that says Hitler wasnt that bad.

People really fall for this???? REALLY??
I am not sure and I am not trying to gossip, but when people are recommending books because they are LDS I feel they do come under scrutiny....so, a person who is a very reliable resource told me that Carol was excommunicated or she left the church. Does anyone know if that is true?

liberty_belle
captain of 100

Post by liberty_belle »

Bella wrote:The New Spirituality belief in the Law of Attraction that says thoughts are powerful enough to create terminal illness, poverty and even widespread disasters.

This is a very important point to note. Widespread disasters are brought on by man's thoughts. Guess who gets the blame for these widespread disasters? Those that have a religion that believes in last-day major disasters. We by our thoughts are the cause of the world disasters.

They say Aids is cause by the belief that homosexuality is a sin. Once the people on the planet accept that it is not, Aids will no longer exist. Again who is to blame? Those that have a religion that does not believe in Homosexuality and believes it is a sin.

Can you see why this false doctrine will cause us persecution?
That makes me think of the scripture about the blind man, "who did sin...this man or his parents?"

Also, in the case of AIDS, they need to get educated by Len Harowitz Emerging Viruses and Vaccines.

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

The Secret is just a copy or imitation of the Science and information discovered by Napoleon Hill.

Napoleon Hill is the true source for most Success and Motivation courses. He did a very scientific study commissioned by Andrew Carnegie in 1908, it took 20 years and included interviews with the 500 most successful men in America at the time.

What Napoleon Hill did cannot be copied today, as he was at a juncture where the children of the Germanic lost tribes of Israel were in charge of the Free Enterprise System, in a country that was going full steam in that system. In our country's decline since then, all we can do in reminisce in Napoleon Hill's findings. Or worse try to come up with some stupid new ideas. Stephen R. Covey's works are also based on Napoleon Hill's Science of Success.

The Secret just found a new outlet for reworked materials from Napoleon Hill.

The only way to get one step better than Napoleon Hill is to read the Scriptures of the lost tribes of Israel, then you find out more about the culture that is the Free Enterprise System and how to become so motivated and attracted to it and other like minded people.

My Success and Motivation course is taking that step:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hth2P2_h2Ec

God Bless,
Darren

ndjili
captain of 100

Post by ndjili »

never mind

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

ndjili wrote:never mind
Thanks for the advice anyway.

My assertion is that all true success and motivation, that also created the Free Enterprise System comes from Jesus Christ, as he gave to the lost tribes of Israel their culture. But unlike the Nephites who made it a couple of hundred years living that way, the lost tribes of Israel continued for many hundreds of years more and in some places actually operated by that culture for thousands of years.

The Free Enterprise System, it is the system where the true Law of Attraction works.

Is it in you?

God Bless,
Darren

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

....and if Napoleon Hill channeled that work?????

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

Darren wrote:The Free Enterprise System, it is the system where the true Law of Attraction works.
I have to disagree with you... there's no such thing as "The Law of Attraction." Such a law doesn't exist. If you want to talk about the "Law of the Harvest," or the "Law of Restoration," then your message has credence. Be careful when using the world's terminology to try and teach a truth.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

clarkkent14 wrote:I have to disagree with you... there's no such thing as "The Law of Attraction." Such a law doesn't exist. If you want to talk about the "Law of the Harvest," or the "Law of Restoration," then your message has credence. Be careful when using the world's terminology to try and teach a truth.
Amen. I was gonna respond with something similar, but you've said it nicely.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Jason wrote:....and if Napoleon Hill channeled that work?????
Later on in his life Napolean Hill acknowledged having assistance from unseen entities. His description led me to believe it definitely wasn't the Holy Ghost / Spirit.

liberty_belle
captain of 100

Post by liberty_belle »

clarkkent14 wrote:
Darren wrote:The Free Enterprise System, it is the system where the true Law of Attraction works.
I have to disagree with you... there's no such thing as "The Law of Attraction." Such a law doesn't exist. If you want to talk about the "Law of the Harvest," or the "Law of Restoration," then your message has credence. Be careful when using the world's terminology to try and teach a truth.
You know I think you bring up a really good point and should further be investigated. Section 130: 20-21 came to my mind. I looked up Law in the Index and so many many different references to Law. At one point I was going to do a study on the different Laws but got side tracked. I think I will renew that desire and start to find out how many different Laws there are, what is their function and what is the blessing and curse associated with each. I think once that is discovered, the deception can easily be detected.

If there is anyone who has already done this, your input would be helpful.

liberty_belle
captain of 100

Post by liberty_belle »

LDSConservative wrote:
Jason wrote:....and if Napoleon Hill channeled that work?????
Later on in his life Napolean Hill acknowledged having assistance from unseen entities. His description led me to believe it definitely wasn't the Holy Ghost / Spirit.
I did not know that! Do you have a source for that?

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

The term "Law of Attraction" originated with Helena P. Blavatsky in one of her books... I think "Secret Doctrine," and she is the founder of the Occult.

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he
It is our thoughts that make us what we are, the question is whether those thoughts focus on virtue or go some other way.
D&C 88:40 For intelligence cleaveth unto intelligence; wisdom receiveth wisdom; truth embraceth truth; virtue loveth virtue; light cleaveth unto light; mercy hath compassion on mercy and claimeth her own; justice continueth its course and claimeth its own; judgment goeth before the face of him who sitteth upon the throne and governeth and executeth all things.
The words Law and Love come from the Germanic word that means this one verb, LOOK. And God has only one law for us to live by. He told us to Love him with all our mind and heart. All the Law and all the Prophets come to this one focal point, as a man thinketh (mental looking), so is he.

We are either attracted to virtue or go some other way. If we are attracted to virtue and stay on the path of seeking virtue then we join the association of the Gods. Is that not power, and true attraction coming from what we think in our heart.

Living by the one and only law of heaven is all about attraction, it is all about association with God, Church, Family, Spouse and it is all about working together by love.

How silly a man is to try to make a fast buck teaching a limited view of this power to the children of men, when they could have everything God is. By just living by their temple covenant, doing as they covenanted to do, by building up Zion through associations, love and virtuous seeking. We are naturally attracted to virtue, and in Zion we work together by virtue. Virtue is the Law.

God Bless,
Darren

ndjili
captain of 100

Post by ndjili »

Thanks Brian and Clarck. You said kinda what I had but mine was far more snarky so I removed it.

Carnegie, interestingly enough, is the very person who funded Scools to teach occult doctrines.

The LAw of Attraction is an occult doctrine. The only people who who even use the term are occultists.

Yeah if I think evil thoughts I may tend to do evil and if I think righeous thoughts I'll do rightoeus things but God is in control, not some law spoken of by people who channeled entities.

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

Darren wrote:It is our thoughts that make us what we are, the question is whether those thoughts focus on virtue or go some other way.
I agree: http://seekthisjesus.com/?p=18

I understand what your trying to say about what Law, and how we are attracted to certain things, but using the term "Law of Attraction," would be counter productive.

It's kinda like a guy named Lemon having a car lot named, "Lemon's Car Sales." The verbiage has already been used to insinuate another idea or meaning. That's all I'm getting at... avoid certain terminology that they are using... even though they are trying to redefine the dictionary of religious terms.