Creating Urban Oasis - Suggestions required

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Kristin82
Hi, I'm new.

Creating Urban Oasis - Suggestions required

Post by Kristin82 »

As you all know, I'm interested in gardening and that I research online for new new ideas. And that is how I ended up presently planning for welcoming house plants into my interiors. Some air plants and macramé planters are what I have in mind. The blog entry – Create Your Own Urban Oasis – by PracticalChic, the custom drapery manufacturers, provides some great ideas on some tropical plants that can be used. I would be starting the project soon.

To start with, I have this idea to introduce palms, peace lilies and aloe vera in mind. Looking forward to your valuable ideas and suggestions. :)

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Re: Creating Urban Oasis - Suggestions required

Post by gardener4life »

This is an interesting idea. Go for it! Also in looking at other articles not here there are ideas to draw on which I want to comment on.

You can get those grow lamps and put them in your house. Some of them are pretty cheap even and affordable. You have to look for certain things in them though because plants need several kinds of light to grow. When you look at legitimate grow lamps this is possible for indoor plants now and you can find out what to look for in them. HOWEVER! Be careful in that some grow lamps are a fire hazard. This could be a problem then if you have kids around and they knock it over while you aren't near there to keep an eye on it.

You will also have to think of which plants can grow in a small space. Like when you plan a garden you can think questions like, how much space does this type of plant take up in order to grow x amounts of vegetables or flowers. Some plants need tons of space like corn, wheat, etc. But some don't need a lot of space, for example there's this type of tomato variety called Little Bites that is supposedly and indeterminate and grows small and short but still produces a lot of fruit.

The big issue that I can see from my container garden experiments though is the fact that container and potted plants use up nutrients in the pots and containers without having a real connection to the Earth for the natural food web to replenish those nutrients. Because of that you have to fertilize a lot more often than outside gardens. I would have this as my primary concern also in trying your idea.

I'm also interested in this and hope it works.

By the way a lot of people are interested in this concept you have. There are lots of youtube videos and such now about doing indoor gardens and their special challenges.

PS I think you can do this without buying a lot of stuff. You could make some of the things your self. It seems the recent trend for stuff like hydroponic gardens and indoor garden specialized tools are overpriced if you don't make it yourself.