exalted man : "God was a man like you" (serpent to eve)

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

exalted man : "God was a man like you" (serpent to eve)

Post by sushi_chef »

”The serpent responds by saying:

Աստուած մարդ էր իբրեւ զձեզ յորժամ ճաշակեաց ի պտղոյ ծառոյդ եղէւ Աստուած ամենեցոյն:.

God was a man like you. When he ate of the fruit of the tree he became God of all.
” https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/byu-religi ... -tradition

armenian apocryphal adam
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UT ... %20%20adam

bible translation armenian
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... 20armenian

jacobs ladder to heaven - - - mar 19 2008
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2652&p=27064&hilit ... %2A#p27064

serpent leg egyptian
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... 20egyptian
:-B

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: exalted man : "God was a man like you" (serpent to eve)

Post by MMbelieve »

This kind of stuff brings tons of questions to my mind.
Is Adam the only one who will become like God? But we all are supposed to have the chance.
Then what about Jesus, did God have to be a Jesus too.

Doug
captain of 100

Post by Doug »

Most have heard the couplet:
Man is as God once was, God is as man may become.
So is this one true also?
Christ is as God once was, God is as Christ may become.
And then what about this one?
Man is as Christ once was, Christ is as man may become.
Think on it.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

MMbelieve wrote: July 27th, 2017, 11:38 pm This kind of stuff brings tons of questions to my mind.
Is Adam the only one who will become like God? But we all are supposed to have the chance.
Yes.
"…Joseph also said that THE HOLY GHOST IS NOW IN A STATE OF PROBATION which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has." ("Scriptural Items", F.D. Richards quoted in The Words of Joseph Smith, Adrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook, Grandin Book, Orem, Utah, 1991 pg. 245.)
We become Gods by going from small capacities to larger the same as all Gods have done before us. I'm paraphrasing the King Follett Sermon by Joseph Smith. There is one path to Godhood.

Also of note.... Who is the Holy Ghost? Why is he conspicuously absent from the Temple Endowment?

Doug
captain of 100

Post by Doug »

alaris wrote: July 28th, 2017, 10:16 am
MMbelieve wrote: July 27th, 2017, 11:38 pm This kind of stuff brings tons of questions to my mind.
Yes.
"…Joseph also said that THE HOLY GHOST IS NOW IN A STATE OF PROBATION which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has." ("Scriptural Items", F.D. Richards quoted in The Words of Joseph Smith, Adrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook, Grandin Book, Orem, Utah, 1991 pg. 245.)
We become Gods by going from small capacities to larger the same as all Gods have done before us. I'm paraphrasing the King Follett Sermon by Joseph Smith. There is one path to Godhood.

Also of note.... Who is the Holy Ghost? Why is he conspicuously absent from the Temple Endowment?
Brigham Young says that Christ will take his kingdom and present it to his father who will move up, Then Christ will take his place.
I agree, there is only one way/path. Jesus says "I am the way". Does that one path lead trough Gethseminy, Galgotha, and the Garden Tomb for all?

Given the above quote from Joseph and D&C 138:3, I think we've been told who the Holy Ghost is.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Doug wrote: July 28th, 2017, 11:49 am
Yes.

Brigham Young says that Christ will take his kingdom and present it to his father who will move up, Then Christ will take his place.
I agree, there is only one way/path. Jesus says "I am the way". Does that one path lead trough Gethseminy, Galgotha, and the Garden Tomb for all?

Given the above quote from Joseph and D&C 138:3, I think we've been told who the Holy Ghost is.
D&C 138:3?
D&C 138:3 And the great and wonderful love made manifest by the Father and the Son in the coming of the Redeemer into the world;

Doug
captain of 100

Post by Doug »

alaris wrote: July 28th, 2017, 12:14 pm
Doug wrote: July 28th, 2017, 11:49 am
Yes.

D&C 138:3?
D&C 138:3 And the great and wonderful love made manifest by the Father and the Son in the coming of the Redeemer into the world;
Sorry, wrong section, it's 135:3

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Yes.

So are you saying that if my husband wants to be a God, he must first be a holy ghost then a Christ? This thinking branches into reincarnation and really brings into question how eternal couples will be. It means polygamy for all, man and woman from various existances.
If my husband already has obtained his earthly body then why would he be born again in the flesh?

And what of women who becomes God's with their husbands? What must they go through?

I'm thinking this line of thinking isint correct.

Doug
captain of 100

Post by Doug »

MMbelieve,
technically, I didn't say anything, I asked questions
here is another
Was there ever a Father that was not first a Son
polygyny, not polygamy.
someone, don't remember who, said
Man's great hurdle is the atonement
Women's great hurdle is sharing their husband
I've read nothing about having to be the Holy Ghost, except that we must be tried in all things.
What is the difference between a crystal ball and the urimum and thumimum
What is the difference between a witches coven and the true order of prayer
one is a forgery and mockery of the other, which is true.
And if you don't fall for the forgery, maybe the mockery will make you averse to that which is truth.
As for you, maybe Mary, I don't know.
If you don't accept truth in this life, maybe you will in the next.
Joseph restored the most fullness of the Gospel that has ever been on the earth since Adam,
but not all he taught is taught today. But most of it was recorded in the writings of the of those taught by him.

Doug
captain of 100

Post by Doug »

The Savior told us what the final step is to be like the Father:

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Before the Atonement, only The Father was perfect.

3 Nephi 12:48 Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.
After the Atonement, both the Father and the Son are perfect.

Doug
captain of 100

Post by Doug »

And the Savior also told us what path to follow to become like the Father

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

And he even gave us a hint as to how that could happen

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

And he even told us how that was possible

D&C 93:38 Every spirit of man was innocent in the beginning; and God having redeemed man from the fall, men became again, in their infant state, innocent before God.

Compare this with

Ether 3:14 Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

We don't become God's.
According to scripture we become god's. I believe there is great significance in the deliberate use of the lower case "g".

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

MMbelieve wrote: July 28th, 2017, 1:16 pm
Yes.

So are you saying that if my husband wants to be a God, he must first be a holy ghost then a Christ? This thinking branches into reincarnation and really brings into question how eternal couples will be. It means polygamy for all, man and woman from various existances.
If my husband already has obtained his earthly body then why would he be born again in the flesh?

And what of women who becomes God's with their husbands? What must they go through?

Childbirth for starters. You didn't think men would get off stock free forever did you? A woman suffers tremendously to bring children into the world. This is fresh in my mind as I have a two week old. The epidural (sp?) didn't work at least not fully. Kneeling next to my wife unable to do anything was horrible. She squeezed my thumb in long agony as it turned purple. A small pain I was happy to endure if it brought her any relief.

Some day the tables turn. The symbolism of childbirth denotes the Atonement of Jesus Christ. One suffers to bring another into a new kingdom.
Last edited by Alaris on July 28th, 2017, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

alaris wrote: July 28th, 2017, 3:22 pm
Yes.

Childbirth for starters. You didn't think men would get off stock free forever did you? A woman suffers tremendously to bring childfen into the world. This is fresh in my mind as I have a two week old. The epidural (sp?) didn't work at least not fully. Standing next to my wife unable to do anything was horrible. She squeezed my thumb in long agony as it turned purple. A small pain I was happy to endure if it brought her any relief.

Some day the tables turn. The symbolism of childbirth denotes the Atonement of Jesus Christ. One suffers to bring another into a new kingdom.
congrats on the new born baby.Boy or girl? :D :ymparty:

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

dafty wrote: July 28th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Yes.

Childbirth for starters. You didn't think men would get off stock free forever did you? A woman suffers tremendously to bring childfen into the world. This is fresh in my mind as I have a two week old. The epidural (sp?) didn't work at least not fully. Standing next to my wife unable to do anything was horrible. She squeezed my thumb in long agony as it turned purple. A small pain I was happy to endure if it brought her any relief.

Thank you! Girl. I have a step daughter and now a daughter. She's beautiful and healthy. :ymparty:

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

alaris wrote: July 28th, 2017, 3:45 pm
dafty wrote: July 28th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Thank you! Girl. I have a step daughter and now a daughter. She's beautiful and healthy. :ymparty:
excellent :ymparty: :o) :ymapplause:

Doug
captain of 100

Post by Doug »

Robin Hood wrote: July 28th, 2017, 3:10 pm We don't become God's.
According to scripture we become god's. I believe there is great significance in the deliberate use of the lower case "g".
The distinction between God and god is more of grammar rather that attributes.
"God" is used as a title signifying a particular god, specifically our God, the father of our spirit bodies.
"god" refers to a race of beings of which we are already a member
John 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
What we are working to become is the God of a world ...
Man is as God once was, God is as Man may become.

... where we help others to become like us.
It is My work and My Glory to bring to pass the Exaltation and Eternal Life of Man

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Doug wrote: July 30th, 2017, 10:29 pm
Robin Hood wrote: July 28th, 2017, 3:10 pm We don't become God's.
The distinction between God and god is more of grammar rather that attributes.
"God" is used as a title signifying a particular god, specifically our God, the father of our spirit bodies.
"god" refers to a race of beings of which we are already a member
John 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
What we are working to become is the God of a world ...
Man is as God once was, God is as Man may become.

... where we help others to become like us.
It is My work and My Glory to bring to pass the Exaltation and Eternal Life of Man
After a lifetime of considering this particular doctrine, which has zero scriptural basis by the way, I have had to reject it.
I have done this because it clearly isn't true.
We have the promise of becoming joint heirs with Christ, based solely on our salvation through grace. None of us can earn salvation in the celestial kingdom of God. We can qualify ourselves through faith.... that is all.

In my view we can qualify to join the family business (which is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man) and to become a god in that sense (maybe authority over elements of activity). But we will never be the object of worship nor will anyone ever pray to us.
The future generations of creation will pray to and worship the same being that we do.

It is very important not to build our doctrine on something Lucifer said to Eve, or to anyone else. He is a liar and has been from the very beginning. His statements are of no value to us, do not edify, and are calculated to confuse and deceive.
I am under no obligation to believe a word he speaks and refuse to give him any credibility regarding this or any other matter.

Doug
captain of 100

Post by Doug »

The scripture clearly says that we already are gods!
I'm sorry you feel that you can not become a God, there is scriptural evidence of that as well.
But you are free to believe what ever you chose, but believing does not make it truth.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Doug wrote: July 31st, 2017, 12:08 am The scripture clearly says that we already are gods!
I'm sorry you feel that you can not become a God, there is scriptural evidence of that as well.
But you are free to believe what ever you chose, but believing does not make it truth.
My position is not based on a feeling.
It is based on scripture.
Deification, sanctification, exaltation; all are words used in Christianity to try to explain what being a joint heir with Christ actually means. Clearly the faithful have something wonderful to look forward to. But nowhere, absolutely nowhere, in scripture ancient or modern, do we find this concept of achieving Godhood the way some LDS appear to understand it.
It is an utterly false tradition.

In recent times the church has consistently distanced itself from this heretical teaching. It officially speaks of "becoming like God" rather than becoming God, or even becoming a God. This is a wise move.

Doug
captain of 100

Post by Doug »

Robin Hood wrote: July 31st, 2017, 6:08 am
Doug wrote: July 31st, 2017, 12:08 am The scripture clearly says that we already are gods!
Deification, sanctification, exaltation; all are words used in Christianity to try to explain what being a joint heir with Christ actually means. Clearly the faithful have something wonderful to look forward to. But nowhere, absolutely nowhere, in scripture ancient or modern, do we find this concept of achieving Godhood the way some LDS appear to understand it.

In recent times the church has consistently distanced itself from this heretical teaching. It officially speaks of "becoming like God" rather than becoming God, or even becoming a God. This is a wise move.
Not knowing what you mean by "achieving Godhood the way some LDS appear to understand it.", I don't know what to mzke of what you are saying.
But I have hopes of becoming exactly like the Father who provides spirit bodies for his children and an earth to go to and receive physical bodies. I know it is possible, I know of the plan that provides that opportunity to all his children.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Doug wrote: July 31st, 2017, 6:22 am
Robin Hood wrote: July 31st, 2017, 6:08 am

Not knowing what you mean by "achieving Godhood the way some LDS appear to understand it.", I don't know what to mzke of what you are saying.
But I have hopes of becoming exactly like the Father who provides spirit bodies for his children and an earth to go to and receive physical bodies. I know it is possible, I know of the plan that provides that opportunity to all his children.
You clearly do understand, for you go on to describe it.
Creating worlds, populating them with billions of spirit children through sexual relations with your spouse(s), and being worshipped and prayed to, etc.
All extra-scriptural nonsense.

Doug
captain of 100

Post by Doug »

So are you saying that the scriptures don't say that,
or you saying that the scriptures do say that but it's
not true?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Doug wrote: July 31st, 2017, 6:38 am So are you saying that the scriptures don't say that,
or you saying that the scriptures do say that but it's
not true?
The scriptures don't say that.

Doug
captain of 100

Post by Doug »

So it's a matter of education, and if we show you that the scriptures actually do say that,
will you have the faith to believe that it applies to you as well, that you can be a God?