Testing Flat-Earth Theory = Full Moon Observations on August 7, 2017

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Our family just enjoyed an awesome set of family reunions – and ALL SEVEN of our children came along with ALL spouses and ALL grand-children – 28 people in total - to THREE reunions! The last family left this morning; so finally I return to rejoin you-all with some posts.

I've been thinking about science lately, and I came up with an experiment to test for the earth's curvature – one that does not involve a lake or sea (with associated light-refraction problems, as we saw in another related thread). I suppose someone else has come up with the same experiment – but my interest here is for US to TEAM together and do some scientific measurements and analysis. I promise it won't be that hard to do, if we can FIRST AGREE on what is expected (from the two different models of the earth, Flat-Earth and Ball-Earth). We can still do the LAKE-based experiment at a later time when refraction-conditions are expected to be small.

So the idea is this – Observers from all over this planet will look at the nearly FULL MOON from different latitudes on the earth, August 6 through 8th, and compare PHOTOS of the moon. That's basically it. Here is an explanation and brief analysis:

1. We will ask someone very near the EQUATOR to take a photo of the moon. It will look SOMETHING like the photo below (perhaps not exactly this same orientation seen in the random photo below however):
2. Then we will FORM A VECTOR (arrow) POINTING UP according to the equatorial viewer, away from the EASTERN horizon, based on features he/she sees on the moon.
3. I give an example below, showing how I formed an arrow between two PROMINENT FEATURES seen on the moon, as clearly seen in a (random internet) photo of the moon.
4. Note that EACH photographer (all over the planet) in this EXPERIMENT needs to stand STRAIGHT-UP. We would say a line between his eyes is perpendicular to a plumb-line (one could use a plumb-line if there is any question what “Standing straight-up” means).
5. Then each observer takes a PHOTO OF THE FULL MOON soon after it arises above the EASTERN horizon, so all observers will be facing EAST and photograph the FULL MOON. The next full moon is on August 7th – all over the world. Photos taken August 6, 7 or 8 will work just fine - the moon will be full enough to show essential features for these three days. (Later, we can add phases of the moon to our experiment.) The observer makes sure his photograph shows the SAME thing he sees with his eyes/binoculars when he is standing straight-up.

6. Now – with that introduction, I'm asking you to FIGURE OUT FOR YOURSELF what different observers will SEE and what their corresponding PHOTOS will show, depending whether they are observing from
1- northern hemisphere, or 2- Equator, or 3- southern hemisphere

7. AND whether they are on A- Flat Earth, OR B- Ball-earth.

You will soon see that the two THEORIES give very different PREDICTIONS, so when we do the experiment, we will find out which theory is WRONG by means of experiment!

8. (I'll be back later to say what I think the different observers will see as they look at and photograph the MOON. But I'm asking you to think it through.)
Attachments
Forming Vector from Features on Moon.jpg
Forming Vector from Features on Moon.jpg (143.71 KiB) Viewed 864 times

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Testing Flat-Earth Theory = Full Moon Observations on August 7, 2017

Post by BroJones »

Please note that the following logic does not constitute a valid scientific experiment and is NOT "proof" that the earth is flat:

1. "In particular instances, NASA has lied to us"
2. "NASA says the earth is a ball, therefore the earth is flat."

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

This sounds like fun!

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

As I have said before, I think that astronomical observations are the best way to test Flath-Earth/Ball-Earth hypothesis. This is why I like this experiment a lot. I am on a work trip at the time of the full Moon, but hopefully I am still able to participate.

If the Earth is spherical, then the orientation of the vector will depend on the latitude.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

You really only need Polaris (Ursa Minor) and Crux (Southern Cross) to prove the Earth is a sphere. The fact that each constellation sits at opposite ends on the poles of the Earth's axis is all the data you need. These stars in the northern hemisphere are not visible from the southern hemisphere and the other stars in the southern hemisphere are not visible from the northern hemisphere. Furthermore, Polaris remains fixed while all the stars in the northern hemisphere appear to travel in concentric circles around it:
And guess what? Crux remains practically fixed while all the stars in the southern hemisphere appear to travel in concentric circles around it. This does NOT happen with the flat earth model/theory/fantasy. Here's a video of three different locations in the southern hemisphere, which clearly verify a spherical earth rotating on an axis pointing SOUTH:
And just for fun, since most of us on this forum probably live in the northern hemisphere, here is a video for you to enjoy. If you are a silly flat earther living in the northern hemisphere, I challenge you to go outside tonight and try and locate the Southern Cross constellation:
Problem solved!

Have a nice day! :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

GReat comments - thanks!

More later when we reach home - traveling today.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

It seems like there aren't a whole lot of people on this forum, who are interested in this. I will definitely look at the Moon on August 7, since here one can see a partial lunar eclipse.

BTW,
Bro Jones, is there a reason why you want to do this on Full Moon? I was just thinking that drawing the vector could be easier with crescent Moon. One would simply need to draw a line from one tip of the crescent to the other tip.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

It was too cloudy last night here :(

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

marc wrote: July 26th, 2017, 4:11 pm You really only need Polaris (Ursa Minor) and Crux (Southern Cross) to prove the Earth is a sphere. The fact that each constellation sits at opposite ends on the poles of the Earth's axis is all the data you need. These stars in the northern hemisphere are not visible from the southern hemisphere and the other stars in the southern hemisphere are not visible from the northern hemisphere. Furthermore, Polaris remains fixed while all the stars in the northern hemisphere appear to travel in concentric circles around it:

And guess what? Crux remains practically fixed while all the stars in the southern hemisphere appear to travel in concentric circles around it. This does NOT happen with the flat earth model/theory/fantasy. Here's a video of three different locations in the southern hemisphere, which clearly verify a spherical earth rotating on an axis pointing SOUTH:

And just for fun, since most of us on this forum probably live in the northern hemisphere, here is a video for you to enjoy. If you are a silly flat earther living in the northern hemisphere, I challenge you to go outside tonight and try and locate the Southern Cross constellation:

Problem solved!

Have a nice day! :)
Any person believing in a flat earth is deceived and is lacking in very rudimentary scientific understanding. First spherical world map was in 476BC. There is no need to test flat earth theory, it is like testing weather iron is more dense than water it is a simple no brainier.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Well, let's not forget Joseph Smith's explanation as drawn by Philo Dibble concerning the ancient sky.

It was discussed on this forum some time ago:

viewtopic.php?t=23547