"How to get into ketosis faster ==>> ketopia \ .... \ 3 Ways to Get Into Ketosis"

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

"How to get into ketosis faster ==>> ketopia \ .... \ 3 Ways to Get Into Ketosis"

Post by sushi_chef »

Last edited by sushi_chef on June 19th, 2017, 5:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Re: "Ketogenic Diet: Everything You Need To Know"

Post by sushi_chef »

\
:-B

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Re: "Ketogenic Diet: Everything You Need To Know"

Post by Michelle »

I am not trying to fight. I am presenting the other view point so those who are just learning about this will have both sides.
:ymhug:

I believe ketogenic diets to be the opposite of the Word of Wisdom. The reason they are called ketogenic diets is that they produce a state of ketosis so your body uses its available water stores to flush out the ketones. This is why you lose weight. When you stop, your body rebuilds it water stores and you regain weight. This is not a healthy state, but a survival state. Long term ketosis is dangerous and damaging to your body.

Another thing to consider: Daniel and his companions you refused to eat the king's meat and lived on grains and such were "fatter of flesh" than those who feasted on meat, they also had increased wisdom. This confirms you may be "skinnier" on a ketogenic diet, but not necessarily healthier or receive the benefits stated in the Word of Wisdom.

My personal rule of thumb (from my understanding of the word of wisdom): grains every meal, beans every day, fruits and veggies in season, herbs for health. I don't eat meat in the warm months, and sparingly in the cool months. I get my summer B12 from milk and homegrown eggs.

Wheat is the healthiest food for humans. "In fact, of the 44 known essential nutrients needed by our bodies and naturally obtained from foods, only 4 are missing from wheat–vitamin A, B12, and C, and the mineral iodine."** (A and C are found in fruits and veggies, B12 is the by product of a bacteria most easily obtained from animal products because the animals ingest it. Iodine can be obtained from sea products: fish, sea salt, kelp, etc.)

If you have gluten issues, please learn about yeats. Natural yeast eats gluten, commercial yeast eats sugar and leaves the gluten.

**http://www.breadbeckers.com/blog/decept ... nrichment/

I highly recommend breadbeckers.com articles to learn about nutrition. She is not LDS, but by studying the scriptures, and studying the learning of man, she has an amazing understanding of nutrition that matches the Word of Wisdom.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Re: "Ketogenic Diet: Everything You Need To Know \ 3 Ways to Get Into Ketosis"

Post by OCDMOM »

The only problem with wheat now is chemicals. They spray the weeds. They spray the wheat to make it grow. They spray the wheat to stop it from growing to fast. They spray the wheat to ripen quicker. I know because a wheat field is next to my house. I have tried the low carb diets and I lose weight. I feel better and have less inflammation. Then I crave stuff and go back on carbs. Then gain weight. I have a book called serotonin Power which claims low carb diets make you depressed. I would love to find a good long term diet that works well. " Natural yeast eats gluten". I hope this is true. I will check it out.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

ummmmmmm, yet seems less is more....

"Dr. John Salerno: Yes, ketogenic diets consist of a very reduced amount of carbohydrates and a high portion of fat and protein such that the body will go into what we call ketosis. This is mentioned in my book, ‘Fight Fat with Fat.’ It’s a big topic for my practice, and a big part of it for weight loss, for treating all different types of inflammatory diseases, dementia, epilepsy, etc.

RC: How do these foods actually nourish the brain?

Dr. John Salerno: Well, it’s very interesting. Ketones are generally the preferential energy source for neurons, brain cells, such that it’s even more so important to brain cells that are injured or that need extra bolts of energy. Ketones are definitively more desired by brain cells.

RC: Can a ketogenic diet help prevent dementia or slow the effects of it?

Dr. John Salerno: Yes. For the same reasons, because in dementia neurons are wounded and/or dying. They’re losing energies. Ketones will tend to approach neurons and try to allow them to heal. We’re really very excited about the research that’s ongoing with these ketogenic diets in dementia and Alzheimer’s. It may be a way to at the very least slow the progress of Alzheimer’s and dementia in patients that follow a ketogenic diet.
"
http://salernocenter.com/2017/01/dr-sal ... -function/
:-B

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

OCDMOM: "The only problem with wheat now is chemicals."

Good grains can be hard to come by, I agree with the chemical problems. There is some evidence that we may have GMO wheat as well, even though it is often claimed it is illegal and not grown or sold in US.

Ancient wheats are suppose to be better, but more expensive for sure.

sushi_chef: I am not one to argue. We can both find doctors to support our sides. My only response is to encourage all to research both sides themselves and this quote from the Word of Wisdom: D&C 89:4 "Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—"

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

OCDMOM wrote: June 11th, 2017, 7:17 pm The only problem with wheat now is chemicals. They spray the weeds. They spray the wheat to make it grow. They spray the wheat to stop it from growing to fast. They spray the wheat to ripen quicker. I know because a wheat field is next to my house. I have tried the low carb diets and I lose weight. I feel better and have less inflammation. Then I crave stuff and go back on carbs. Then gain weight. I have a book called serotonin Power which claims low carb diets make you depressed. I would love to find a good long term diet that works well. " Natural yeast eats gluten". I hope this is true. I will check it out.
A couple links to get you started:

http://calebwarnock.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... luten.html

http://www.naturalleavening.com/natural-leaven-starter/

http://www.naturalleavening.com/grain-sources/

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

Agreed on problems with many grains, like wheat. It is true that they're often doused with herbicides towards the end of harvest to kill the plant and make the grains all ripe at the same time. They call this 'crop desiccation'. It leaves a residue of glyphosphate and other chemicals on food which causes all kinds of havoc to the gut flora and subsequently the gut lining. Once the flora gets out of balance and the tissue damaged, it is difficult to heal completely without eliminating these foods for a period followed by only incrementally introducing organic varieties (which by law are not sprayed ).

I think this is the underlying problem for why people have problems with wheat (interestingly, if you're not getting it organic, white flour may be better than wheat flour, as it will have less glyphosphate contamination [as the outer hull is removed in white flour] and so will be less problematic for the gut). We are trying now to get all our grains organic - we even have a craigslist ad up for all the conventional wheat and rye we have moved around with us as part of our food storage. We're still working up the will power to try the full GAPS diet which incorporates a full healing protocol - the diet is kind of similar to Ketogenic except it allows fruit in between meals and some other foods.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

`
so, butter is good stuff, eh... :-B

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

`
ketopia product makes it easy....