Can we do an experiment - is the earth flat?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
NinjaForJesus
captain of 10

Re: Can we do an experiment - is the earth flat?

Post by NinjaForJesus »

Anyone serious about proving a Globe or Flat earth might read the following:
Parallax, "Zetetic Astronomy, Earth not a Globe"
http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/index.htm

also, an interesting read (from which I am getting many of these quotes)

Terra Firma: The Earth Not a Planet, Proved From Scripture, Reason, And Fact
https://archive.org/details/cu31924031764594
Last edited by NinjaForJesus on June 23rd, 2017, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

NinjaForJesus
captain of 10

Post by NinjaForJesus »

Doctrine of Assumption party to blame for Flat Earth?

An interesting quote by Professor George Biddell Airy maybe giving some proof as to why one might need proof of a globe Earth, giving more reason to doubt the accepted science as just the theories they are.
Newton was the first person who made calculations of the figure of the Earth, in the theory of gravitation. He took the following supposition as the only one to which his theory could be applied. He assumed the Earth to be a fluid. This fluid he assumed to be equally dense in every part.
. . . For trial of his theory he supposed the fluid Earth to be a spheroid. In this manner he inferred that the form of the Earth would be a spheroid in which the length of the shorter is to the length of the longer or equatorial diameter in the proportion of 229 to 230.
Here's another by Sir Norman Lockyer
You have to take it as proved that the Earth moves.
Another by Sir John Herschel
We shall take for granted from the outset the Copernican system of the world.
Modern astronomers seem to declare Newton's theory of the globularity of the Earth as a true deduction from exact experiment.

NinjaForJesus
captain of 10

Post by NinjaForJesus »

Revolution of the Earth Around the Sun Experiment
Mr. Laing, on page 122 of "Modern Science and Modern Thought" tells us that,
The distance of the Earth from the Sun being 93 million miles, and its orbit an ellipse nearly circular, it follows that in Mid-Winter, in round numbers it is 186 million miles distant from teh spot where it was in Mid-Summer"
Such revolution of the Earth is altogether fabulous. If it were true there would, by observation, be discovered a difference in the relative position of the stars, but there is not.

This fact was one of Tycho Brahe's chief objections against the theory of a revolving Earth.

Experiments were tried in his day at intervals of six months to test if there was any difference, but, after the keenest scrutiny, none was found, thus proving the Earth to be stationary. Tycho Brahe was not only a great Astronomer, but an honest man, and dared in spite of all opposition, to speak what he believed to be true. Would that we had a few more like him now; in such case there would soon be a change in Astronomic and Geographic text-books, as far as regards to the figure of the world.

Mr. Laing attempts an explanation, as follows -
Their (the stars) distance is so vastly greater than 186 million miles, that a change of basis to this extent makes no change perceptible to the most refined instruments in their bearing as seen from the Earth

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

To the OP, no, neither is my stomach. :D

NinjaForJesus
captain of 10

Post by NinjaForJesus »

Let's start a kickstarter program and send Dr. Jones up in a fighter Jet to see what he can see.

http://www.migflug.com/en/jet-fighter-flights.html

What do you say Dr. Jones? I'll chip in.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

NinjaForJesus,
Let's start a kickstarter program and send Dr. Jones up in a fighter Jet to see what he can see.
I don't think that Dr. Jones would appreciate that. If he was able to see for himself, and have to witness that he saw that the earth was a sphere, then he would become one of the "conspirators". I don't think that is a label he would like.

Regards,

George Clay

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I know Dr. Jones from when I was A Random Phrase. If he went up and said it was a sphere, I would believe him without hesitation. (I believe it is a sphere anyway, but I have such great respect for him that if I did not believe it, but he saw it and said it was, I would change my mind.)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thanks, Silver Pie - I'm back, I guess.

The thread is interesting, how people approach the problem of convincing another - or themselves - while remaining civil (or not).

In another forum, we've been working up a straightforward set of experiments - that's what interests me... Experiments most everyone can do with binoculars or a decent camera and mount.

And then to see whether a person will be convinced when he or she observes with his/her OWN EYES the results of the experiment they are involved in.

That's a big part of the experiment!

More later...

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

I'm starting to see that there's a growing acceptance among flat-earthers that significant refraction is needed in order to explain their observations of sun and horizon. Without refraction, the only experiment you need is to see whether the sun sets tonight.

So if an experiment can be devised to help eliminate refraction from the experiment, I think this would be good.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

AS has been stated a few times it is not possible to make a flat earth map that conforms to reality.
It is 2017 where is your flat earth map that is accurate for all places on the earth.

Below is the map I go for that is both accurate as to distance size shape etc.... and perfectly maps ocean currents, earthquake crustal zones etc...

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

One of the comments on this video said
StaticLink 4 days ago
The Earth is flat... finally confirmed!!!
It reminded me of this thread. I hope the video entertains you.