Ads

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Ads

Post by Mark »

It looks like Brian has hit the big time with some obnoxious ads on cars and whatever else just popping up and automatically playing whenever you go to a topic on the board. LDSFF is now a non-stop commercial. Thanks but no thanks. Adios. :ymhug:

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Ads

Post by David13 »

Pay your dues and get an ad blocker.
And you are right back in business.
Dc

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Mark wrote: March 9th, 2017, 10:39 am It looks like Brian has hit the big time with some obnoxious ads on cars and whatever else just popping up and automatically playing whenever you go to a topic on the board. LDSFF is now a non-stop commercial. Thanks but no thanks. Adios. :ymhug:
It's been my experience the ads are usually targeted to your browsing history.

Been car shopping, Mark? ;)

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

David13 wrote: March 9th, 2017, 10:40 am Pay your dues and get an ad blocker.
And you are right back in business.
Dc
Thanks David. Got the ad shield. I hate commercials. Never watch a program without the DVR. What dues? Why would I pay for expressing my useless opinions?

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

iWriteStuff wrote: March 9th, 2017, 11:01 am
Mark wrote: March 9th, 2017, 10:39 am It looks like Brian has hit the big time with some obnoxious ads on cars and whatever else just popping up and automatically playing whenever you go to a topic on the board. LDSFF is now a non-stop commercial. Thanks but no thanks. Adios. :ymhug:

Actually yes. Been looking for a Tesla so I can avoid gas stations like I do commercials.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Mark wrote: March 9th, 2017, 11:12 am

Actually yes. Been looking for a Tesla so I can avoid gas stations like I do commercials.
I hope you're not serious. You may avoid the gas stations, but maybe not the garage fire. Or the rapid depreciation. They're pretty cars, but holy Hannah that's a lot of money just to avoid a pump!

Just a reminder: Big Data is always watching.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

iWriteStuff wrote: March 9th, 2017, 11:17 am
Mark wrote: March 9th, 2017, 11:12 am

I hope you're not serious. You may avoid the gas stations, but maybe not the garage fire. Or the rapid depreciation. They're pretty cars, but holy Hannah that's a lot of money just to avoid a pump!

Just a reminder: Big Data is always watching.
I would never pay for it myself. My wifes company that she is selling products for will make the monthly payments. What the heck.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Not sure what you're referring to? I haven't changed anything about the ads for a long time.

I don't like ads either but it's a necessary evil to cover the forum-related expenses.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

BrianM wrote: March 9th, 2017, 1:36 pm
Not sure what you're referring to? I haven't changed anything about the ads for a long time.

I don't like ads either but it's a necessary evil to cover the forum-related expenses.

Every time I would go to a forum category ads would automatically start playing without me even clicking on them. I got the ad blocker and it has stopped happening. I appreciated the advice from David.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I don't know if you've noticed, Mark, but you are still here . . .

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

I keep getting greeted by the red band trailer for the new Charlise Theron movie. Won't even let me scroll away from it.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Dang, I just got hit by the annoying ads today. First time I've had a problem with them. My screen would flip down to the ad and it would start playing a movie. I could x it out but sometimes it kept flipping back and forth from where I was at on the screen to the ad. I couldn't stop it or click on the x because it was moving back and forth too fast.

I understand the ads needing to be here but I think the ad program has changed to some rather difficult ads. You might want to complain, Brian. They are no good if they are making it impossible to use the site.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

That's weird. I've never seen any ads on here behave that way. You should take a screenshot of it when that happens and/or let me know what site the ad links to (that makes it easier for me to block it).

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

It's happening here and on Ron Paul forums as well. Anyone that leaves is just letting the CIA win. /tinfoil

and yes, mine is dooing the thing that it flips down to the ad and I have to fight with my cursor to even scroll up to see the posts.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

Google Ads with Google Chrome = total control over your browsing experience. I'm using Opera with a built in ad blocker. I cringe to do that to a guy like Brian because I run several sites and know the costs. But Google is hijacking the user experience and paying webmasters a pittance for it. There has to be a better way to offset costs for running a site, but it's not getting any cheaper.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

I find Safari preferable to Google Chrome.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

I've complained to my husband that our computer is soooooo slow, but I'm pretty sure now, that it's the ads on this forum. It is such a pain. I need some kind of ad blocker.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Chrome has an extension called "Adblock Plus" that will block ads for you.

The reason for the ads in the first place is to cover server and other site related expenses.

I could offer an ad-free option to forum members that make a donation to the forum. Not sure if people would like that idea but it is a possibility.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

for a slow computer, run these and see what junk it finds. it's fun

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

BrianM wrote: March 11th, 2017, 9:11 pm That's weird. I've never seen any ads on here behave that way. You should take a screenshot of it when that happens and/or let me know what site the ad links to (that makes it easier for me to block it).
Unfortunately I've just installed an ad blocker. Do ad blockers cause you to lose income from ads?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

It's pay per click.. so the money comes from clicks. It's not a big deal if some people decide to use ad blockers.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Good to know. I virtually never click on ads.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I wonder if there's a way for Brian to just not have ads that are mini movies? It seems like ads that don't move don't cause problems.