Weird Question for a novel.

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Sirocco
Praise Me!

Weird Question for a novel.

Post by Sirocco »

So in a novel I am writing, a horror sort of thing, a character (who belongs to a fictional LDS offshoot church, a non Polygamy one) encounters a being who she thinks is the devil (or a demon, he's actually an alien, but that's not important).
I don't know what, like she might say to this thing to try and make him go away, he doesn't try and hurt her persay but is rather obsessed with her, and wants to bring her misfortune and misery for no real reason.
How does one cast Satan away?

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Re: Weird Question for a novel.

Post by Lexew1899 »

Break dancing for Jesus is probably the most effective way to cast Satan away. You are showing off you body, and he'll get all jealous, then you are praising God. He'll be so mad he'll just leave. Especially if you can spin on top of your head really well.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Normally I'd say maybe but the majority of the story takes place in 1934.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

It suffices if she says: "In the name of Jesus Christ, I command you to leave!" To make it a bit more dramatic, you can say that she raised her hand to square.

Here are some stories for you to research:
Joseph Smith casting devil out of Newel Knight
Experience of a missionary in Guatemala
Blog post about similarities of rituals of other faiths
Moses in the Pearl of Great Price

Are you familiar with the Mormon belief of shaking hands:
8 If it be the devil as an angel of light, when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not feel anything; you may therefore detect him.

Doctrine and Covenants 129
Most Mormons understand this literally, although it in my opinion might be symbolical and have relation to things we learn in the temple.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I do know about some of that stuff, but I am not sure how similar their temple rites would be to the LDS ones, this one split from the LDS Church around 1860 or so. I like the square idea.
I mean how different can they really be? They do have The Doctrine and Covenants though obviously it differs.
Well in 1934, by 1999 I am sure theirs and the LDS church differ, but stuff to ponder later.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

If you want demons to go away and stay away you have to repent and become a better person so they don't want to hang around you anymore.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I don't know what works for aliens.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Meili wrote:I don't know what works for aliens.
No one knows he's an alien, he does claim to be haunting her for her past (though he does this to many characters, some religious, some not) and for the specific character she never tells anyone of her less then wholesome past.
I would imagine some things overlap, at least in this instance.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Sirocco wrote:
No one knows he's an alien, he does claim to be haunting her for her past (though he does this to many characters, some religious, some not) and for the specific character she never tells anyone of her less then wholesome past.
Right. So I was saying what works for demons and what I would have a character do if she thought she was dealing with a demon but I don't know what the end result would be because it's not really a demon.

Personally, I would have the key factor be that she overcomes her guilt from her past.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Meili wrote:
Sirocco wrote:
Right. So I was saying what works for demons and what I would have a character do if she thought she was dealing with a demon but I don't know what the end result would be because it's not really a demon.

Personally, I would have the key factor be that she overcomes her guilt from her past.
Yeah there is guilt and at the same time an aversion to guilt, she is torn on being a good church member and obeying the laws of the Lord and her own wants and desires.
So the additional layer of that with the other stuff.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

I pondered a different angle for the split their church has, beyond the core of the founding family having a linear succession, that several men leave and there gets to have a great imbalance so polygamy returns "for a time" but I am not sure if that's a good angle.
Would put a dampener on any further talks between the two, since one doesn't have polygamy and the other does.
Any suggestions>

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Sirocco wrote:(or a demon, he's actually an alien, but that's not important).

It's important if we didn't want any spoilers prior to reading the book!

Let us know when it is available. I'd spend a few $$ for a copy.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

He says to the main character that he is the "eater of space and time, courtesy of planet sanddune" him being an alien isn't really a twist, it's just what sort of alien he is that you don't find out until the end.