Need help figuring this out

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Need help figuring this out

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

I hope someone can help me before I need it tomorrow!!

I need to figure out my daughter's relationship to Joseph Smith Jr.

Here is what I know

My husband

is the grandson of Laura May Lyman

Who is the great grand daughter of Amasa Lyman

Whose mother was Clara Caroline Callister,

whose grandfather was John Smith

who was Joseph Smith's uncle, and a Presiding Patriarch in the Church.

ChelC
The Law

Re: Need help figuring this out

Post by ChelC »

I never have known how the distant cousin thing works, like is it 9th cousin... or something so many times removed? I would just say your son is Joseph Smith's distant cousin, or 9th cousin by my calculations. Here's how I got there:

John Smith - Joseph's Uncle
Parent of Clara Caroline Callister - first cousin to Joseph Smith
Clara Caroline Callister
Amasa Lyman
Grandparent of Laura May Lyman
Parent of Laura May Lyman
Laura May Lyman
Your In Laws
Your Husband
Your Son

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

Ok this is what I was told.. On my husband's side,

Joseph Smith Jr is my daughter's 2nd cousin 8 times removed, and on my side he is her 7th Cousin 8 times removed. (My husband and I are both related) LOL

This can get confusing.

I found out too that James E. Faust was the Great Great Grandson of Amasa Lyman. The world is getting smaller the more family work I do.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Apparently ChelC is related to my bro-in-law (my sisters husband). His grandpa is ChelC's great uncle. The world is getting smaller 8)

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

And Jeremy's too! So who are your BILs parents? Gotta figure it out now! If it helps Vernon was my grandpa (Aub's brother). He died when my dad was only eight. My dad's name is Bill. I wonder if I met him at Eleanor's funeral. I'm pretty bad with names until I hear them a few times though so I couldn't be certain. Hmmm... Eleanor used to always show us her yarn room and her volumes and volumes of genealogy. I got the impression at her funeral that she was at work already. She had to be one well greeted soul! They came to my husband's and my sealing and I still remember the advice Aub gave which was to never have a 50/50 marriage, but to always give 100%. He and Eleanor held hand until he died. They were such great people. Your BIL is lucky to have had them for grandparents.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Ok ChelC, I lied. My bro-in-laws grandma is Aubreys sister, Violet. She married a guy named Orange. Interesting for sure. Makes for a colorful family :?