fluoride filter?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
nvr
captain of 1,000

fluoride filter?

Post by nvr »

We just moved to ct for an extended internship and wondered if anyone knows of a decent fluoride filter that's not too expensive. they fluoridate the water here and i'm convinced the risks of drinking the fluoridated water outweigh the benefits. so any suggestions from people who know is appreciated in advance!

ShineOn
captain of 100

Re: fluoride filter?

Post by ShineOn »

Berkey makes fluoride reduction filters. They screw onto the bottom of the main filters. They're called PF-2 (fluoride reduction post filter elements).

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

that one uses activated aluminum right? is there any concern for it being the last stage in the filter ie i've heard concerns that some aluminum residue will persist in the water as it is the last stage. is this a valid concern? i hope i'm not being too paranoid but i know ingesting aluminum isn't so good for your brain
thanks for the thoughts!

ShineOn
captain of 100

Post by ShineOn »

Yes that is a concern, and the Berkey people have mentioned it. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get fluoride out. You basically have to use a chemical process (you can't filter it through a medium and separate the fluoride from the water). The Berkey people do say that by using the Black Berkey + the PF-2 the overall aluminum amount will be reduced. So while the Black Berkey's take aluminum out, the PF-2 put a little back, with a net result of less aluminum. There also has been the question of whether the aluminum from the PF-2 crosses the blood-brain barrier. Apparently the aluminum from the PF-2 is in a different form as "alumina." I suppose you could filter the water through another set of Black Berkeys after going through the PF-2s.

The only alternative I know of, besides buying bottled water that for sure doesn't have fluoride, is to distill the water, but then you can run into all sorts of new problems with that.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

thanks a lot! any ideas on a place with decent prices for the setup? i see it on amazon but they're out of stock. I guess i could just get it from the first vendor on google.
thanks again