Causing people to be offended

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
sally
captain of 100

Causing people to be offended

Post by sally »

I have a question. If I take a dish to a potluck, but also take my own dinner, will I offend people? Would they rather me not show up, than bring my own dinner?

What does Jesus say about being offended?

Are people offended because I am different? Is being different bad?

I went to a potluck tonight and a lady told me a story that made me feel that it is offensive to turn down offerings of food. Don't we do that at times with alcohol, tea and coffee?

I know of at least 2 people in my ward that have diets different from the main stream and they just stay home a food events. I couldn't do that because I enjoy visiting with people in my ward, most of the time.

What are your thoughts?

ChelC
The Law

Re: Causing people to be offended

Post by ChelC »

No, I don't think it's rude. People can choose to be offended or not but you are doing it generously and quietly I assume. It's a lifestyle choice you've made which didn't begin at the potluck.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

I agree...not rude at all! I would rather enjoy someone's company than have them not show up because they have a particular diet they want to stick to.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

My thoughts about it would be "who cares!?"

We eat what we want when we want at home, or when we are by ourselves.. I am not going to eat Okra just because some else thinks I should...

Can you tell I just came from a convention yesterday? I WANT my Liberty!!

Thank you LOL

ha ha ha

sally
captain of 100

Post by sally »

Thanks for your comments. That makes me feel better.
I love your attitude LoveChrist. I have a county convention to go to on Saturday. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Was yours a state convention?

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

It was the District convention. The State will be May 30th through early morning June 1st.

District was not as fun as the county was, but State will be much more fun and full of fireworks, that is a DEFINITE!

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

sally wrote:I have a question. If I take a dish to a potluck, but also take my own dinner, will I offend people? Would they rather me not show up, than bring my own dinner?
Depends. Are you arrogant about your "superior diet" and/or do you put down the food that other people bring by telling them how unhealthy it is? That's where most people will take offense.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I took a really large oven roaster of lamb curry to a Ward potluck a couple of Christmases ago. I had cooked the stew meat sized pieces of lamb in coconut milk after searing them with onions and then added the individual spices from my spice rack rather than use prepackaged curry spice. The whole thing was cooked for several hours. I added long brown rice also cooked in coconut milk. It turned out pretty well.

There was a lot of food at the dinner. Before the evening's entertainment there was no lamb curry left . Lots of people returned for seconds.

One of the couples sitting at the same table with us asked me what we had brought. I told her. Although she had eaten her own portion of lamb curry she was appalled when she learned that I brought 'lamb' to a Ward potluck. Keep in mind these are 'farm' people themselves. They raise their own beef for the table. "Don't you think you should have told people what they were eating?", she demanded. I asked "why?" She didn't have an answer. I reminded her that all the ancient Bible prophets seemed to do ok on lamb meat beginning with Father Adam.

I guess eating at a Ward potluck requires some exercise of good faith and charity on everyone's part. I could have been as offended by her careless and demanding question as she apparently was over my lamb curry which she had enjoyed eating without offense before she knew it was lamb.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

I'm not a fan of ward potluck dinners myself. I got terribly sick after eating at one while serving a mission. Horribly sick. Potluck? No thanks. Though that lamb sounds good!!

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

The lamb does sound good. :)

We eat some each easter now, when we are celebrating passover as part of that week's events.

Yours sound extra nice tho. Ours is just olive oil and garlic. :)

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I've never eaten lamb. Does it taste similar to other types of meat?

Yeah, potlucks can be scary sometimes, I agree. I'll never forget a YW activity when I was a teenager. We all sat down to a potluck dessert thing, and getting ready to eat some cookies, Bonnie (an interesting girl) said, "While we were making those cookies our cat wouldn't stay off the counter, and kept trying to eat the dough!" ACK!!!!!!! I didn't eat any of those.

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

ChelC wrote:I've never eaten lamb. Does it taste similar to other types of meat?

Yeah, potlucks can be scary sometimes, I agree. I'll never forget a YW activity when I was a teenager. We all sat down to a potluck dessert thing, and getting ready to eat some cookies, Bonnie (an interesting girl) said, "While we were making those cookies our cat wouldn't stay off the counter, and kept trying to eat the dough!" ACK!!!!!!! I didn't eat any of those.

You're missing out! Lamb is great. I served a mission in New Zealand and had some awesome lamb there. MMM... making my mouth water.

If you get the chance, Outback Steakhouse has NZ lamb that is pretty much to die for. It's a very succulent meat, very rich.

I like a nice piece with mint jelly.

ROB GIBBSEN
captain of 100

Post by ROB GIBBSEN »

i am just offended by the very thought :(

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Oh I have to tell you that I went to a restaurant here and tried breaded and fried okra with ketchup, I am hooked! LOL