The difference between a teacher and a role model

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

The difference between a teacher and a role model

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

I often hear discussions where people are asked to give personal details to prove that they aren't hypocrites. It always perplexes me as I have a very hard time forming attachments to role models. I believe it was Joseph Smith who stated that he would take truth from satan if and when he offered them. I think too often we confuse the message with the messenger. Some of the most profound truths about freedom come from the oppressed and some from the truly free. I guess this is just a pet peave of mine, it always has been. It doesn't take much to recognize truth and repeat it. It does take a great deal to live it. I think that we should all aspire to be role models, but I do not think we should be so quick to turn down truths offered because we do not admire the messenger.

Make no mistake about it, when somebody sets themself up to be a role model, or a leader then personal conduct comes into question. When someone seeks to debate the truth as we do here and elsewhere and isn't setting themself up, I think it is foolish to qualify their words by their circumstances. I know if I were to start a discussion about my life I would feel compelled to complete it in full before I would be comfortable believing that the person had the first clue to understanding my life and choices. Understanding my religion is key to understanding me, but so is my family, my opportunities, my limitations and talents.

Just a rant after reading a shoving match that I was not involved in elsewhere.