Is Time Travel Possible?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Is Time Travel Possible?

Post by freedomforall »

Just wondering, does anyone think God can see earth events from any era of time he chooses. Could he go back and see the Red Sea open again? Could he go back and visit Adam and Eve in the Garden again?

Or is time a one way path?

This question is not doctrine based, just wondering if anyone else has ever pondered this.

Deborah000
captain of 100

Re: Is Time Travel Possible?

Post by Deborah000 »

Brigham Young once remarked (Discourses of Brigham Young) that he felt that in the next life we would be permitted to see Jerusalem in the time of Christ or the Garden of Eden in the time of Adam, if that would be our desire. But he didn't expand on that to my knowledge, so we are left to ponder on the signifance of it.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Don't the scriptures (or Joseph Smith) say that the past, present, and future are always before God?

What I visualize is that God literally lives outside of time and He can look in or step in any place He chooses. Whether this means He is in several places at once, from our point of view, I do not know.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

JulesGP wrote:
Doctrine and Covenants 130:7

7 But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord.
:-\
Yes. Like that scripture.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

A Random Phrase wrote:
JulesGP wrote:
Doctrine and Covenants 130:7

7 But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord.
:-\
Yes. Like that scripture.
I like the verse referenced as to whom they are living in the presence of God.

D&C 76:94
94 They who dwell in his presence are the church of the Firstborn; and they see as they are seen, and know as they are known, having received of his fulness and of his grace;

Anyway, if we can see past, present and future after death, we may be in for a confusing experience.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

freedomfighter wrote:Anyway, if we can see past, present and future after death, we may be in for a confusing experience.
With our current minds and abilities, most certainly!

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Flatland is a book written long ago that is both entertaining and enlightening about dimensional perspectives http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland#mw-mf-search

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

it's call prophecy

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

BeNotDeceived wrote:Flatland is a book written long ago that is both entertaining and enlightening about dimensional perspectives http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland#mw-mf-search
September 10, 2012
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions is one of the most original pieces of fiction ever written. With the use of a geometric theme, Edwin Abbott weaves the fascinating tale of A Square an inhabitant of Flatland who journeys to Spaceland, Lineland, and Pointland. Flatland is a witty and satirical adventure that explores the very nature of physical reality.

http://www.amazon.com/Flatland-Romance- ... Dimensions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

We see time as some kind of linear concept. I see time as a state of being; a sense of now. It is comprised of an unending series of moments, but is not measured or is measurable. Time is a concept created and appointed unto man by the turning of heavenly bodies around one another in a series of orbits and rotations. The earth rotates 360 degrees and we call it a day. The earth orbits the sun once every 365 days and we call it a year, and so on.

In Visions of Glory, Spencer talks a little about the concept of time and I can see what he means. The Savior or angels, if needed, can correct or adjust something in the "past" as we understand it. In other words, if we have to envision time as a linear concept, perhaps we can envision on a large table, a continuous line of buttons. They're all lined up one against another from one end to the other. They are all in the now from our perspective, but to each other, they represent a day. All I have to do is reach over and turn one button over or rotate it or paint a dot on it or whatever. For me, the concept of time is not an issue. But for that one button, it exists in a certain moment in a long string of moments.

We can take Joseph Smith's visitation by Moroni as an example. To us, Moroni visited Joseph in the past. To Moroni, from Moroni's mortal perspective, he visits Joseph in the future. But once outside of our mortal paradigm of time, in the "eternal now", he visits Joseph in a specific moment of eternity. From the moment Moroni died or was translated, perhaps there was no need to wait centuries. From eternity, he simply slips back into a new moment, which takes no more than a few seconds or whatever amount of time that it took for Moroni to think of that moment in time when Joseph lay in bed.

Just my thoughts.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

coachmarc wrote:We see time as some kind of linear concept. I see time as a state of being; a sense of now. It is comprised of an unending series of moments, but is not measured or is measurable. Time is a concept created and appointed unto man by the turning of heavenly bodies around one another in a series of orbits and rotations. The earth rotates 360 degrees and we call it a day. The earth orbits the sun once every 365 days and we call it a year, and so on.

In Visions of Glory, Spencer talks a little about the concept of time and I can see what he means. The Savior or angels, if needed, can correct or adjust something in the "past" as we understand it. In other words, if we have to envision time as a linear concept, perhaps we can envision on a large table, a continuous line of buttons. They're all lined up one against another from one end to the other. They are all in the now from our perspective, but to each other, they represent a day. All I have to do is reach over and turn one button over or rotate it or paint a dot on it or whatever. For me, the concept of time is not an issue. But for that one button, it exists in a certain moment in a long string of moments.

We can take Joseph Smith's visitation by Moroni as an example. To us, Moroni visited Joseph in the past. To Moroni, from Moroni's mortal perspective, he visits Joseph in the future. But once outside of our mortal paradigm of time, in the "eternal now", he visits Joseph in a specific moment of eternity. From the moment Moroni died or was translated, perhaps there was no need to wait centuries. From eternity, he simply slips back into a new moment, which takes no more than a few seconds or whatever amount of time that it took for Moroni to think of that moment in time when Joseph lay in bed.

Just my thoughts.
Since we don't really understand time in its sphere, we can only speculate.

Here's something I jotted down in 2009:
Moment by moment we travel into the future; the present becomes the past and is left behind.
As we sit stationary we observe events taking place as the future moves toward us.
Events that occurred moments ago now have to be recalled in our memories, not to ever be seen again as it happened.
In our minds we can be five years old again because of something remembered; the future is then dormant.
Moment by moment we get older until we are laid to rest; our memories go with us into the future...the unknown.

As i sit at my computer I envision the past and present. The future is something hoped for; another breath, more time on earth, go for a walk on a sunny day...today. In just one tiny moment I can see the past as the future approaches; the present is oh so small. And just how long does the present last...the past is something remembered as I type. The future is happening right before my eyes as I breath, type and look around. The present moves with us into the future...called memories. People in a state of mindless stupor neither see the past nor the present. In many ways their future is a constant present.

Does this make sense?

I wrote the following a long time ago, something also to do with our minds.
An open and clear mind is able to govern much; whereas a closed and fogged mind leads to self extinction.

Just a perspective.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

It makes sense. I loved reading it!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

coachmarc wrote:It makes sense. I loved reading it!
Thank you.

jair29
captain of 10

Post by jair29 »

"all is as one day with God, and time only is measured unto men." Alma 40:8.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

jair29 wrote:"all is as one day with God, and time only is measured unto men." Alma 40:8.
If Kolob is near God's throne, and God said that one day to him is a thousand years to us...then is that thousand years measured in time or simply a reference?

And we know that Adam and Eve were told that in the day thereof that they ate the forbidden fruit, they would surely die. They lived over nine hundred of our years. In other words, within that day. Adam and Eve had not had their reckoning of time given them as we have.

Abraham 3:4
4 And the Lord said unto me, by the Urim and Thummim, that Kolob was after the manner of the Lord, according to its times and seasons in the revolutions thereof; that one revolution was a day unto the Lord, after his manner of reckoning, it being one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest. This is the reckoning of the Lord’s time, according to the reckoning of Kolob.

Abraham 5:13
13 But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it; for in the time that thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die. Now I, Abraham, saw that it was after the Lord’s time, which was after the time of Kolob; for as yet the Gods had not appointed unto Adam his reckoning.

So time must have some significance with God.

How is Alma 40:8 reconciled with this.

Rock34
captain of 100

Post by Rock34 »

If it wasn't, we would be in stasis.

Still Learning
captain of 100

Post by Still Learning »

Yes, time travel is possible...as long as you have a flux capacitor.

Matthew28v19
captain of 50

Post by Matthew28v19 »

Hopefully this helps.

Joseph Smith

The great Jehovah contemplated the whole of the events connected with the earth, pertaining to the plan of salvation, before it rolled into existence, or ever "the morning stars sang together" for joy; the past, the present, and the future were and are, with Him, one eternal "now;" He knew of the fall of Adam, the iniquities of the antediluvians, of the depth of iniquity that would be connected with the human family, their weakness and strength, their power and glory, apostasies, their crimes, their righteousness and iniquity; He comprehended the fall of man, and his redemption; He knew the plan of salvation and pointed it out; He was acquainted with the situation of all nations and with their destiny; He ordered all things according to the council of His own will; He knows the situation of both the living and the dead, and has made ample provision for their redemption, according to their several circumstances, and the laws of the kingdom of God, whether in this world, or in the world to come. (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 220)

Neal A. Maxwell

Of course, the Father knew beforehand of all human wickedness. He knew beforehand of mankind's need of a Savior. He knows the past, present, and future, since all their dimensions are continually before Him, said the Prophet Joseph Smith, constituting "one eternal 'now'" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1938], p. 220; see also 1 Ne. 10:19; D&C 3:2; 35:1). Therefore, mortal sins previously committed and those yet to be committed were atoned for retroactively and prospectively in Gethsemane and on Calvary. For us of the last dispensation, it was "paid in advance," as it were. However, the individual sinner is still left with his own need to claim that divine payment by meeting the conditions set by Christ, thus working through those sins, as prescribed, by currently applying the atoning blood of Jesus. (One More Strain of Praise [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1999], p. 47)

Bgood
captain of 1,000

Post by Bgood »

This is a very interesting topic, I am not really sure what I believe about time travel, as I do not have many theories. Though several years ago one of my home teachers pointed out something in the scriptures and made a comment that really made me go hmmm...I wonder.

It is in 1 Nephi 11:1-14

1 For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.
2 And the Spirit said unto me: Behold, what desirest thou?
3 And I said: I desire to behold the things which my father saw.
4 And the Spirit said unto me: Believest thou that thy father saw the tree of which he hath spoken?
5 And I said: Yea, thou knowest that I believe all the words of my father.
6 And when I had spoken these words, the Spirit cried with a loud voice, saying: Hosanna to the Lord, the most high God; for he is God over all the earth, yea, even above all. And blessed art thou, Nephi, because thou believest in the Son of the most high God; wherefore, thou shalt behold the things which thou hast desired.
7 And behold this thing shall be given unto thee for a sign, that after thou hast beheld the tree which bore the fruit which thy father tasted, thou shalt also behold a man descending out of heaven, and him shall ye witness; and after ye have witnessed him ye shall bear record that it is the Son of God.
8 And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me: Look! And I looked and beheld a tree; and it was like unto the tree which my father had seen; and the beauty thereof was far beyond, yea, exceeding of all beauty; and the whiteness thereof did exceed the whiteness of the driven snow.
9 And it came to pass after I had seen the tree, I said unto the Spirit: I behold thou hast shown unto me the tree which is precious above all.
10 And he said unto me: What desirest thou?
11 And I said unto him: To know the ainterpretation thereof—for I spake unto him as a man speaketh; for I beheld that he was in the form of a man; yet nevertheless, I knew that it was the Spirit of the Lord; and he spake unto me as a man speaketh with another.
12 And it came to pass that he said unto me: Look! And I looked as if to look upon him, and I saw him not; for he had gone from before my presence.
13 And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the great city of Jerusalem, and also other cities. And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.
14 And it came to pass that I saw the heavens open; and an angel came down and stood before me; and he said unto me: Nephi, what beholdest thou?

What he had said was Nephi was talking to the lord, but when it came time to show Nephi the saviors birth, Nephi went to look upon the Lord but that he had gone from Nephi's presence and that because Nephi was actually seeing the past as it was taking place, the Lord had to leave so that he could be shown being born. Since you cannot be in two places/times at once.
So an angel came and showed Nephi that portion of the vision. As the Lord could not be with Nephi, and being born at the same time.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Food for thought:
If one were to somehow instantly teleport a hundred lightyears away, and somehow have a telescope which could view minute detail back on Earth; they would be looking back in time a hundred years, as that is when the light that left Earth a hundred years ago would be reaching the observer. :-?

brrgilbert
captain of 100

Post by brrgilbert »

:) God Bless.
Last edited by brrgilbert on September 19th, 2014, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gideon
captain of 100

Post by Gideon »

If time travel is possible, then there can be an unlimited number of copies of our body and spirit. What if one of them is killed while traveling through time?

If time travel is possible, then it must be possible for the future to occur before the past.

Epistemology
captain of 100

Post by Epistemology »

Gideon wrote:If time travel is possible, then there can be an unlimited number of copies of our body and spirit. What if one of them is killed while traveling through time?

If time travel is possible, then it must be possible for the future to occur before the past.
why?

Write_One
captain of 50

Post by Write_One »

Time in God's realm is a different animal than in our mortal realm. Past, present and future are all before him because he does not operate in the same sphere as us. So time travel for him is theoretically possible. Time travel for us in our mortal life is one way - forward.

It's probably a good thing we can't truly travel backward and change the past like in science fiction. If it were possible, it could open a type of Pandora's Box. The temptation to alter our lives would be too great. It might sound good to go change bad choices into better ones, but it would deprive us of lessons learned, growth attained and fundamentally change who we are.

joe215
captain of 10

Post by joe215 »

If it is possible, will all of us can take the opportunity to time travel?