Teaching English abroad?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Strawberry
captain of 100

Teaching English abroad?

Post by Strawberry »

Hi Everyone,
I'm seeking help/thoughts. My husband gets one more unemployment check (we HATE being on it - are not on any other government handouts). He hasn't found a way to provide for us here in the U.S. yet - applying all over, high paying, low paying. Anyway, we met with our bishop for tithing settlement and he suggested we look outside the country. A friend of mine mentioned teaching English in foreign countries.

Does anyone know about this? Have any legitimate sources for finding out more? I heard there is a need for this in China.

Thanks SO much for whatever help you offer. Stressing out here with 6 small children to provide for :-\ :-ss

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Teaching English abroad?

Post by gkearney »

What do you and your husband do for work or want to do. There are many opportunities in Western Australia.

Strawberry
captain of 100

Post by Strawberry »

He's a computer nerd, can do or figure out how to do nearly everything computer related. He prefers working in the cloud with Sharepoint. He's been a manager, worked with robotics in the past. Me; I stay at home homeschooling and raising our 6 young children. Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Ok then here is some help for you first off go to this website. http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/Working/ ... ralia.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you don't mind working in remote, and I do mean remote, communities your husband should find no trouble finding work here. Now you have to understand that while Aistralia is in many ways much like the US it is not the US. You have to be willing to take Australia as she is. Do that and our nation offers in return opportunity of almost unlimited potential.

If you live in one of the remote communities you will likely be the only church members for many 100s if not thousands of kilometers around and you will be on your own as far as church matters go. But you will find that Australians will give you the shirt of their backs no matter who you are. Australian are loud, friendly, optimistic, patriotic, and loyal. An old joke says that if your going to a gun fight withou a gun you should bring an Australian.

Western Australia is all of these qualities and more. 2.5 million people in a landmass one third the size of the continental US. It's capital Perth where I live is the worlds most remote major city. The standard of living is the same as in the US. Some items are more expensive others like cars and insurance much less. Pay is very good, taxes are about the same or so we are told. Federal income and sales tax. No state taxes, no property tax on your primary home or farm. No tax on in home businesses you as a stay at home mum might do provided it earns less than 72,000 a year.

While you homeschool, very good if your going to live in the bush, at some point you may find that you need to consider other schooling options. We have full school choice here with the money following the child. University and trade schools are very inexpensive when compared to the US.

We have no conscription into the armed forces but many young people do serve as it opens many doors in Australia if you do. Your husband might well consider looking into that if he has prior service in the US military. Australia takes in a fair number of such persons from US and Commonwealth nations.

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

Getting out of the Peoples Republic of Oregon would help, beautiful as it is ( I grew up there). Have you checked South East Alaska. Most likely Juneau or Ketchikan, but don't neglect Petersburg, Wrangell, Craig or other smaller towns. It is a different lifestyle, getting in and out is expensive, but many companies will pay your way up if they like you. People either love it here or hate it here; it's a major culture shock for many people being on a small island with about 4-6 times the rain of Portland, and no roads out. It is similar in appearance to the Cascades, but a lot wetter. AK is the most homeschool friendly state(if you're interested just ask). No state income tax, no state property tax, or sales tax. There are local sales and property taxes in some of the borroughs, but not all. There are ALWAYS jobs available, maybe not exactly what you want now, but if you are here the job you want WILL turn up soon enough. IF you want more info PM us, if nothing else it is a grand adventure. People in your situation come here all the time, some stay forever some only a few years.

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

By the way, CB says we homeschool 6 small children too!

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Feel free to contact me as well if you like. I dare say our weather is better than Alaska.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Asia needs lots of English teachers.

Work almost full time, get about $2,000/month, maybe more. Pretty light/ less stressful compared to most US work. Harder to get picked if you are older, but stress the stability, no drinking part--it goes better. Decent living standards, children (and parents!) can learn a language. Some will pay for one ticket--that and start up rent expenses will cost the most. You can sign up ahead of time, but I'd suggest coming over and getting a job here. Or sign up for a year, then switch if you want.

Whatever you do, do NOT work with ILP (out of Provo) or volunteer.

nicoledavis88
Hi, I'm new.

Post by nicoledavis88 »

I teach English in Madrid. Absolutely loving my new job and getting very well paid to!!!
I moved to Spain just to fulfill my need for changes, as I felt stuck personally and professionally, and it's turned out to be one of the best decisions i have ever made! I was always fascinated by Spanish culture so when it's came to choose my destination I just knew it was going to be Madrid.
I found Tefl course that offered more that just certificate. They helped me with my visa application, accommodation, setting up bank account and other basic needs and also to get job interviews after finishing their course! I just can´t thank them enough. They gave me really full support in everything from the very first moment when I applied for Tefl course and to the day i got my first job offer!
This is their website http://tefl-madrid.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it's really worth visiting if you're thinking about teaching english abroad. They are true professionals.
I really hope you find this information useful. Good luck

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

What happens in the US when you are unemployed for a long time?
The OP said her husband was about to receive his last unemployment cheque. I assume from this that unemployment benefit has a finite time span. So what happens next if employment has not been found?

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Robin Hood wrote:What happens in the US when you are unemployed for a long time?
The OP said her husband was about to receive his last unemployment cheque. I assume from this that unemployment benefit has a finite time span. So what happens next if employment has not been found?
You become homeless, sell drugs on the street and end up in jail, move in with a soft-hearted relative or a lonely member of the opposite sex who doesn't mind carrying the financial load, or you take out a student loan and go back to school.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Matchmaker wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:What happens in the US when you are unemployed for a long time?
You become homeless, sell drugs on the street and end up in jail, move in with a soft-hearted relative or a lonely member of the opposite sex who doesn't mind carrying the financial load, or you take out a student loan and go back to school.
I guess that is a major difference between the UK (and most of Europe) and the US.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Robin Hood wrote:
Matchmaker wrote:
I guess that is a major difference between the UK (and most of Europe) and the US.
What happens in Europe and the UK?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Matchmaker wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
Matchmaker wrote:
What happens in Europe and the UK?
In the UK benefits are paid until work is found.
However, you have to present at the Job Centre every 2 weeks in order to "sign-on". You are asked to provide evidence of job search/applications etc. They also assess your training needs to see if you have any issues preventing you from finding work. When they are identified you are sent on a compulsory training course to upgrade your skills etc. Failure to "sign-on" or attend compulsory training results in sanctions (reduction or suspension of benefits).

The training can range from a one day course updating your first aid or IT skills etc, to a placement with a company for a period of up to 16 weeks, to gain experience and a relevant employers reference. Often these placements can result in the offer of employment.
They will also assist with free training and advice if you want to set up your own business.

While unemployed you receive Job Seekers Allowance plus any other benefits you need based on means testing. For example, if you have children you will receive a top-up to ensure they don't go without their basic needs (food, clothing etc).
If you have a mortgage, the Government will pay your mortgage interest direct to your lender while you are out of work. They will not pay the principle though.
If you rent a property they will pay the rent, but will only pay for what you need.
For example, if you are married with one child but rent a 5 bedroomed property, they will only pay the rent you would be charged on a 2 bedroomed property, thus encouraging you to move to less expensive accommodation, or get a job pretty quickly!